Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 12:59   #841
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
In fact the production of this car should be enough to cater to Pan-India customers without having them wait for more than a month.
Agreed. Hope Skoda steps up production before they start losing customer to the long waiting times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
The only reason for the delay in the ownership details is the lack of pictures...
Congratulations on the new car. With many waiting for months, you are very lucky to have got the car in 3 days time. Wishing you many tens of thousands of miles of safe and fun filled driving
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 23:28   #842
BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I have also been lucky, similar case to rugsrags, I booked the car on Feb 2nd, and got it on the 5th.

Graaja, I would suggest you push the dealer some more here. All the best!

Last edited by manu : 19th March 2014 at 23:30.
Old 21st March 2014, 13:37   #843
BHPian

Excellent review Vid! I need an Altis' owners perspective on the Octy. What do you think I will miss vis-a-vis the new Altis. Apart from a few extra features (push-button, nav, rear-reclining seats) and a mammoth drop in the reliability and A.S.S. I am looking at the 1.8 TSI Elegence and honestly speaking it is a much prettier car than the new Altis inside out. Clean under-stated lines and a classy interior and very well equipped, even on the safety front. Altis gets 2 Airbags, ABS+EBD thats it.

Is it as comfortable as the Altis when I don't have a lead foot? This will be a replacement for our Altis which is currently my sisters daily driver. Before we jump to conclusions, she is a very good driver and for the most part is absolutely sane apart from a few spirited bursts on open roads and expressway/highway drives. Will the TSI be a justifiable buy even for people who just seek more of a luxury experience than sporty/performance or will the Altis still be a better option.

I have booked a TD, lets see how that goes..
Old 21st March 2014, 15:24   #844
BHPian

Skoda experts, please help: Where's the engine number located? Other than the white sticker on the timing belt cover (I think) is it engraved on the engine somewhere? I'll be registering the car next monday and I have a feeling the RTO won't be happy with a removable sticker.

The engine do look scary without the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1photo-210314-3-00-47-pm.jpg  

Old 21st March 2014, 15:27   #845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Excellent review Vid! I need an Altis' owners perspective on the Octy. What do you think I will miss vis-a-vis the new Altis. Apart from a few extra features (push-button, nav, rear-reclining seats) and a mammoth drop in the reliability and A.S.S. I am looking at the 1.8 TSI Elegence and honestly speaking it is a much prettier car than the new Altis inside out. Clean under-stated lines and a classy interior and very well equipped, even on the safety front. Altis gets 2 Airbags, ABS+EBD thats it.

Is it as comfortable as the Altis when I don't have a lead foot? This will be a replacement for our Altis which is currently my sisters daily driver. Before we jump to conclusions, she is a very good driver and for the most part is absolutely sane apart from a few spirited bursts on open roads and expressway/highway drives. Will the TSI be a justifiable buy even for people who just seek more of a luxury experience than sporty/performance or will the Altis still be a better option.

I have booked a TD, lets see how that goes..
The 1.8TSI has much more power, better ride and better handling than the current Altis. Since the upcoming new Altis has similar under pinnings I don't expect it to be a huge step up. It will probably be better but not as good as the Octy.

The Octy's biggest issue is reliability and even more so because of the DQ200 box. The rear seat has good space but the Altis is even more spacious and can accommodate 3 thanks to flat floor.

As a driver's car the Octy is the superior choice. If you're chauffeur driven and reliability is of paramount importance then go for the Altis.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 15:40   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Skoda experts, please help: Where's the engine number located? Other than the white sticker on the timing belt cover (I think) is it engraved on the engine somewhere? I'll be registering the car next monday and I have a feeling the RTO won't be happy with a removable sticker.

The engine do look scary without the cover.
Chasis number engraving should be in the spot where I circled in this picture, how it is in my Laura. You just have to take the rubber beading off and lift the plastic grill.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skodaoctavia06.jpg  

Last edited by maheshramaling : 21st March 2014 at 16:01.
Old 21st March 2014, 15:51   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Engine engraving should be in the spot where I circled in this picture. You just have to take the rubber beading off and lift the plastic grill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks man but I couldn't find anything there. The chassis number is engraved near the right fender but couldn't locate the engine number anywhere.
Old 21st March 2014, 15:53   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Engine engraving should be in the spot where I circled in this picture. You just have to take the rubber beading off and lift the plastic grill.

Hope this helps.
It is not there now. In the laura it was right where you have circled. In the Octavia it is below that, right on the frame. RTO just marks the chassis number not the engine number in my case. I did not have to show them the engine with the cover removed. No need to remove the beading or the plastic tray, cheers!

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 21st March 2014 at 15:55.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 16:00   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man but I couldn't find anything there. The chassis number is engraved near the right fender but couldn't locate the engine number anywhere.
Sorry;

See - if these responses in Briskoda help;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...mber-location/
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...here-on-block/

From the description - not sure how difficult is to find this out! Keep us posted.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 16:13   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
RTO just marks the chassis number not the engine number in my case. I did not have to show them the engine with the cover removed. No need to remove the beading or the plastic tray, cheers!
Thanks man. I hope my RTO doesn't insist on seeing the engine number on the engine. The guys can be really grumpy especially since I'm registering without an agent.

Quote:
See - if these responses in Briskoda help;
Thanks again. There are a lot of engravings but not a sign of the engine number. Called up the SA and he said the sticker on the timing belt cover is the only place the engine number is visible.
Old 21st March 2014, 16:38   #851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From the owner's manual:

Quote:
The engine number is stamped into the engine block.
Page 207.

Octavia Owner's Manual

The RTO may ask for the engine number. The engine number of my car is printed on the RC (card) but they did not insist on seeing the engine number physically. The retail invoice from the dealer had the engine number and that worked. The RTO agent however did a pencil tracing of the VIN stamped near the right suspension strut dome in the engine compartment.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 17:21   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

The engine number is stamped into the engine block.

The engine number of my car is printed on the RC (card) but they did not insist on seeing the engine number physically.
The engine block is well hidden. I don't think I can get a look at it without voiding warranty.

From the official Jetta Thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi friends,

It is now official. Jetta gets 2+2 years extended warranty for Rs.41,000 + Service Tax, if availed within 365 days of ownership.
I think we can expect similar pricing for the Octavia too.
Old 21st March 2014, 22:07   #853

The Dealers in Delhi seem to be clueless about the extended warranty, or may be they are acting so, somehow got a feeling that it might shoot upwards of Rs 50000/- for the 1.8 Tsi A/T . Keeping my fingers crossed. It may be similar to VW for the Tdi A/T.

Now this is for "Adi"
How much FE do you get when driving in city "traffic" with aircon on ?
This would help me decide upon the prospect of tyre upsizing.
Old 24th March 2014, 06:47   #854
BHPian

I was caught in an unusual situation over the weekend. Drove with the family to a mall . At the barrier I was asked to open the boot. Took several minutes to actually do it. Had to switch off the car and use the remote release button on the key! All this action was to the cacophony of incessant hoots from cars behind me!
Does the Octavian have a boot release lever/switch inside (around the driver's seat)?
It is really very inconvenient to have to switch off the engine , remove the key and then release the boot.
Searched the manual- could not find anything.
Old 24th March 2014, 09:47   #855
BHPian

There is a central locking switch on the central console with a lock sign on it. This opens all doors including the boot.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks