Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 21:47   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Even Vento with 168 mm would not have any problem. Its suspension is no way soft. If we were to compare it to a Honda City 165 mm GC then we can definitely say it will scratch on humps due to its soft suspension.
I would beg to disagree, in my friends vento whenever we go for trip with 4ppl and luggage it use to scarp many humps. It is not as soft as city but not stiff enough to its own cousin Rapid. My point is just looking at GC will not give a complete picture as suspension setup(stiff/soft) maters more than just GC value.

Last edited by B747 : 1st April 2014 at 21:49.
Old 1st April 2014, 22:21   #902
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
I would beg to disagree, in my friends vento whenever we go for trip with 4ppl and luggage it use to scarp many humps. It is not as soft as city but not stiff enough to its own cousin Rapid. My point is just looking at GC will not give a complete picture as suspension setup(stiff/soft) maters more than just GC value.
What tyre pressure was your friend having? I always keep 36 front & 39 rear when car is on full load, that too nitrogen. Values may seem quite high but they work wonders when car is fully loaded. Ask him to try it and it may help. I have never scrapped my Vento throughout 15K+ of running on full load.

Yes people do say Rapid has better suspension but what intrigues me is that when both cars are made in same factory how can suspension be that different. Only a VAG parts manager at factory could elaborate.
Old 1st April 2014, 23:57   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
My bad, and apologies for the confusion. I meant used 320D.
In that case, I would suggest you to close your eyes and go for the Jetta. Jetta's ride is far better that that of E90's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I guess the GC also depends on where the lowest point is. In case of the Octavia, it is definitely not in the front half. I have no idea about the other two though.
GC value, Wheelbase, Suspension stiffness (damping), Suspension travel and front / rear overhang.... - All contribute to how the car behaves over humps.

Jetta's bottom does not scrap over humps. Problem is only with the extra-long Mud flaps.
Old 2nd April 2014, 00:07   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What tyre pressure was your friend having? I always keep 36 front & 39 rear when car is on full load, that too nitrogen. Values may seem quite high but they work wonders when car is fully loaded. Ask him to try it and it may help. I have never scrapped my Vento throughout 15K+ of running on full load.

Yes people do say Rapid has better suspension but what intrigues me is that when both cars are made in same factory how can suspension be that different. Only a VAG parts manager at factory could elaborate.
What is the general tyre pressure which needs to be maintained for city driving in the 1.8 TSi
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:48   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
What is the general tyre pressure which needs to be maintained for city driving in the 1.8 TSi
I'm not aware about tyre pressure for 1.8 TSi, maybe Laura/Octavia owners can give details about it. Mostly in VAG group, tyre pressure are mentioned on the inner side of fuel filler opening. Have a look at it and it would give you a detailed info. I mostly follow those specs and they work fine for me.
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:12   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC for my Laura 1.8 TSi Skoda recommends something like 31 psi for 205 /55/16 tyres for normal load. For full load they recommend a very high 40 psi for the rear. I find 30 psi good for city rides and 33 psi good for highway runs when driving alone. For full load I prefer about 34 psi for front and 38 psi for the rear.

It should be similar for the Octavia too as tyre sizes and weights are similar. The Octavia is slightly lighter than the Laura if I am right.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 2nd April 2014 at 22:15.
Old 3rd April 2014, 00:03   #907
BHPian

Quote:
As El lobo 6061 says, its available on the inside of the fuel lid.

For the 1.8 TSI, its 33 PSI front and rear for normal load and 36 front 46 rear for full load (5 PAX + full boot).
Old 3rd April 2014, 02:19   #908
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post

For the 1.8 TSI, its 33 PSI front and rear for normal load and 36 front 46 rear for full load (5 PAX + full boot).
For the rear tyres :
Something like 32/33 normal -> 38/40 full (20-25% increase) ; is commonly observed across many cars. But 33-> 46 is almost adding 40% more pressure. Wont the tyres build up more pressure anyway, after driving some distance and heat builds up ?
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:35   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post

Just checked the fuel lid of my Laura and it is 43 psi for the rear and not not 40 psi as I had mentioned earlier for full load. 46 PSI for the rear tyres will give an extremely hard ride and I don't think its right for Indian road conditions. Hit a big pothole at speed and you are bound to damage tyres or even the suspension as tyres will be as hard as a rock with no ability to cushion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
For the rear tyres :
Something like 32/33 normal -> 38/40 full (20-25% increase) ; is commonly observed across many cars. But 33-> 46 is almost adding 40% more pressure. Wont the tyres build up more pressure anyway, after driving some distance and heat builds up ?
Yes the recommended pressures are unusually high. Quite common with VAG cars. I believe these stickers are the same that they paste on the cars they sell in Europe. The same cars sold in India have some changes in terms of suspension stiffness and ground clearance. Similarly even tyre pressures should be lower for Indian conditions. On bad roads you are sure to damage your tyres if you run at 46 psi and such hard tyres are surely not good for the suspension if the roads are not perfect, not to mention the uncomfortable ride.

Tyre pressures should always be measured when the tyres are cold. Generally after some running pressures go up by about 2~3 psi. So if you are filling up when the tyres are warm, you should add a couple more psi to the recommended pressures.
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:31   #910
Senior - BHPian

Just a wild question.
Doesnt the tyre pressure monitoring system start showing warnings in case pressure goes up by 2/3 psi, which is pretty common
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:45   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a wild question.
Doesnt the tyre pressure monitoring system start showing warnings in case pressure goes up by 2/3 psi, which is pretty common
Every time you fill up the tyres, you have to set the TPMS "SET". If you don't set it up, it will remain deactivated. Till date I set it about 4-5 times, and never got any warning message, although each and every time when I went to refill the tyres, the pressure was down by 4-5 psi than normal. I usually fill up in a gap of 10-12 days. And I don't use Nitrogen. Its a scam in my opinion
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:00   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Its a scam in my opinion
No, it's not in my opinion. TPMS usually detects if pressure falls by 10psi or more and has proved a lifesaver for me on more than one occasion. The puncture was detected before the pressure reduced drastically and repaired immediately due to TPMS.
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:33   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
No, it's not in my opinion. TPMS usually detects if pressure falls by 10psi or more and has proved a lifesaver for me on more than one occasion. The puncture was detected before the pressure reduced drastically and repaired immediately due to TPMS.
I guess by the scam, he meant the Nitrogen and not the TPMS.

TPMS is indeed a good thing to have especially on the highways where a tyre burst due to excessively low pressure can be deadly.
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:49   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I absolutely meant nitrogen to be a scam TPMS is a thoroughly useful feature. I guess if the TPMS does not alarm, it means your tyre air level is safe. So all in all a useful safety feature. But I must say, whenever the tyre pressure is low, I get this sixth sense feeling that it's low
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:07   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
And I don't use Nitrogen. Its a scam in my opinion
Definitely agree, atmospheric air is 78% nitrogen so we all are getting it free of cost.

Most Viewed