Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 21:27   #961
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I haven't asked the dealer about the warranty claim process yet.
I strongly recommend you read through the fine print of the extended warranty document. Usually, for such new schemes, the dealer representatives would not be having the detailed knowledge about how it works and they would end up giving misguiding or incorrect answers.
Old 16th April 2014, 21:56   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I strongly recommend you read through the fine print of the extended warranty document. Usually, for such new schemes, the dealer representatives would not be having the detailed knowledge about how it works and they would end up giving misguiding or incorrect answers.
Point noted.

I have already told the SA for the entire T&Cs in written which he gladly accepted ( It is still awaited though, not getting the time to contact him for it or the invoice / key which is pending)
Old 17th April 2014, 20:29   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
The 'Extended Warranty' from insurance companies would be definitely cheaper. We have similar extended warranties offered by almost all electronics retailers in tie-up with the insurance companies for Electronic products (refer my thread here). But this is the first time I am hearing it being offered for cars at the dealer level.

Did you check with the dealer what is the process for replacing a part under warranty? My guess is that since an insurance company is involved, one would have to raise a 'claim', they would add some delay in evaluating and approving the claim (similar to accident damage) and then the there could be additional delay from the dealer for part unavailability.

But if the dealer is assuring that they will take care of the 'insurance claim' process without additional delays, then it would turn out to be a good scheme. But I have my doubts on whether the dealer would be willing to do this.
I had a talk with my SA today regarding the in

He said that they would deal the claim of warranty directly from the insurance company themselves. I would just have to deal with the showroom service guys for this ( A Big relief IMO) without any delays ( subject to parts availability that is)

Also he told me, all warranty inclusions and exclusions would be same as per original warranty offered by Skoda.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 13:15   #964
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : Technical Updates

I sent my car in for the 7500 KM free check up and service. I had also requested the service advisor to check the sun-roof rattling as well as a noise that was coming from the driver's side-view mirror every time it opened and closed.

I have been informed that Skoda has issued technical updates for the sun-roof issue and the side-view mirror issue which includes addition of some parts. This is being done under direct supervision of Skoda India which requires the car to be left for a day at the work-shop. Since Skoda is shut on Saturday and Sunday, the car will be taken on Monday for this purpose.

I had also written to Skoda India on the extended warranty issue. They have replied saying that they have forwarded the same to the dealer who will take it up with me. So it appears that extended warranty has not been launched.
mysticmonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 12:38   #965
Senior - BHPian

While the new Octavia is rare on the streets, over the weekend I spotted 2 of them (one parked at Phoneix Mall & the other on Kotturpuram road) and look-wise the car is an absolute stunner.

BTW, both cars sported just "Skoda", "Octavia" & the new Skoda logo at the rear. No indication of fuel-type anywhere (not even on the fuel-tank lid). How do we make out whether the car is a petrol or diesel variant ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th April 2014 at 12:40.
Old 20th April 2014, 13:56   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While the new Octavia is rare on the streets, over the weekend I spotted 2 of them (one parked at Phoneix Mall & the other on Kotturpuram road) and look-wise the car is an absolute stunner.

BTW, both cars sported just "Skoda", "Octavia" & the new Skoda logo at the rear. No indication of fuel-type anywhere (not even on the fuel-tank lid). How do we make out whether the car is a petrol or diesel variant ?
Quite strange that Skoda has opted not to display the TDI or TSI badging on the Octavia. I believe even the Superb does not come with with this badging. Only someone with a keen eye could distinguish the two, as the TSI superb comes with straight chrome tipped twin tail pipes, whereas the TDI superb has bent tail pipes. I think in the Octavias the tail pipes are hidden from view in both variants.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 16:11   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
My new Octavia TDI most of the time idles at 750 RPM and sometimes at 1000 RPM. Initially I thought 1000 rpm idle is for cold start but later I observed that even after the engine is hot and reached its operating temperature (90c) sometimes it idle at 1000 (when waiting at a signal). Checked with AC on/off, but when AC is ON there is only a slight increase of 100, ie it will idle at around 850-900. So is this 1000 RPM idle a normal behavior or is it some issue? if it is normal behaviour then when does it decides to idle at 1000? Please help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
VW 2.0 TDI normal idling RPM is between 750 - 1000. RPM varies depending on coolant temperature, cooling fan status and AC load. :thumbs up

Most likely, your car will not have any problem. If you want to have piece of mind..., please check the following:
  1. Coolant level - Visual check will do.
  2. Cooling fan - If it runs at times, no need to worry.
  3. AC refrigerant gas - If AC is efficient, no need to worry.

If things are fine, don't worry.. :)
Quote:
Early morning if the car interior is cool, there won't be much load on the AC. Therefore, engine idles at a lower RPM.

If you start the car on a hot day, that too when the interior is hot / stuffy, engine will idle at a higher RPM.

I am about to have the first oil change service for my Jetta by this month end. During the service, AC filter / air filter will all be changed. I will update again after that. :)

From your side, please let me know if you happen to get the same confirmed at Skoda service centre.. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Sure I will check with Skoda guys also.
I got my first oil change service done. VAG-COM did not through up any errors, either past or present. Idle RPM behaves the same way as earlier.

This pattern of "varying Idle RPM", has been confirmed by the service center as being "Normal". :)
Old 20th April 2014, 16:50   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The petrol has a boot lip spoiler. I think that's the only external difference between the two.
Old 20th April 2014, 22:07   #969

Mod note: Back to back post, use Multi Quite [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Been there. Done that. Believe me, the 3 months wait for the Octavia were the longest three months for me. Just when you would have made up your mind and held to your resolution, there will be another Skoda horror story thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3340571
Absolutely true graaja! Have been going through the same emotions you went through. Finally after mustering up enough will power decided to let go off the Octavia 1.8TSi and went ahead to book a VW Jetta TDi highline.

Vinayak Skoda had no idea to when they could deliver the Octavia. It had been two months that I booked the car. They couldn't commit to a delivery in the next two months either as they were hardly getting one petrol Octavia per month ( I was 10th in the booking list as per the manager ). Hence there was no sense holding on to the booking anymore.

So cancelled the Octavia on the 10th of April and that same evening went ahead and booked a White Jetta TDi HL. (Must say the VW guys are a whole lot better in dealing with customers compared to the lacklustre attitude thrown by the Skoda guys !)

Got a call on the 16th of April from the VW SA to finalise the finance formalities. As soon as my dad and I entered their showroom all my attention was attracted by a white beauty !! My guess was spot on! That was our car and it had come in less than a week's time ! It was a surprise by the SA.

But couldn't take the delivery though :-( Election season plus a week full of holidays meant the registration had to be postponed.

I'm waiting for the next call from VW. Just cannot wait to get my hands on my beauty :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
The petrol has a boot lip spoiler. I think that's the only external difference between the two.
If I'm not wrong boot lip spoiler comes only with the Elegance trim. Ambition petrol does not come with a boot spoiler.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th April 2014 at 22:31.
suhas.sudhish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 03:08   #970
BHPian

I just completed the first 1000 Kms on my car. What a head turner and everytime you floor the accelerator it brings a smile to your lips ( though I do try to ease up with the flooring especially in the run in period though it's quite difficult)
Read earlier about the sound from the side view mirror and have been noticing it for the past two - three days myself. Also unfortunately noticed the sunroof rattle today for the first time too though only on some uneven roads that I'd had to go on. Another thing is the passenger door on opening from the outside sometimes gets jammed. You have to unlock the car or pull rather hard on the handle for it to open. Will get these issues checked with the service center in this coming week.
On reading about the extended warranty called my SA yesterday and he informed me that they haven't yet come out with it over here. Have told him to get in touch as soon as skoda comes out with it.
The idling iv noticed is always at 1000 rpm and only sometimes a little lower than that. Also the efficiency I'm getting is a measly 12 at the moment but then that's probably because a lot of time is spent with the car idling while someone or the other has been checking the features out with the car running. Hopefully now that my immediate friends and families curiosity is smothered ill manage improving on the same.
Old 21st April 2014, 19:55   #971
BHPian

Quote:
This pattern of "varying Idle RPM", has been confirmed by the service center as being "Normal".
Thanks Chethan, this gives me huge relief, initially I was bit worried whether it is an issue or not.
Old 21st April 2014, 20:12   #972
BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Just came back from a 900 km trip from Gurgaon to Jaipur, onward to Ajmer / Pushkar and back. The 1.8 TSI drives like a rocket for sure!! Was great fun!
My car has now done about 3300 km in all and has been a great 2.5 months so far.
Got about 11.2 km mileage for the complete trip and couldn't resist trying it out till 6000+ rpm. Loved the sound of the engine!

The sunroof does make some noise on rough roads, but other than that, has been great.

Did check the engine oil also before leaving and once this morning in Jaipur, but was ok level so did not top up though I had taken extra oil before leaving.

Last edited by manu : 21st April 2014 at 20:26. Reason: Sent incomplete post by mistake
Old 21st April 2014, 21:20   #973
Senior - BHPian

All Octavia Owners,

I have booked a Ambition TDI DSG and am on the 2-3 month wait before I can lay hands on the Czech (German) beauty.

Since the deliveries commenced in Nov 13, there seems to be at least 7-8 purchases of the Octavia made so far on the forum. Despite my repeated requests, nobody has been able to manage time to upload an ownership review. People like me will be severely benefited from such a review.

BTW, in the meantime, several new Jetta ownership reviews have come up. Unfortunately, that car was second on my priority list and is a car that I know too well.

Can somebody try to manage the time to upload an ownership review?

PS: Please do not offer 1/2 paragraph general comments section. I don't think that helps me much
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:15   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
All Octavia Owners,

I have booked a Ambition TDI DSG and am on the 2-3 month wait before I can lay hands on the Czech (German) beauty.

Since the deliveries commenced in Nov 13, there seems to be at least 7-8 purchases of the Octavia made so far on the forum. Despite my repeated requests, nobody has been able to manage time to upload an ownership review. People like me will be severely benefited from such a review.

BTW, in the meantime, several new Jetta ownership reviews have come up. Unfortunately, that car was second on my priority list and is a car that I know too well.

Can somebody try to manage the time to upload an ownership review?

PS: Please do not offer 1/2 paragraph general comments section. I don't think that helps me much
My Ownership thread is in the assembly line. I can post it by today evening however the pics will have to wait in that case. (maybe a week or so)
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:30   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
The idling iv noticed is always at 1000 rpm and only sometimes a little lower than that.
In winter and on rainy days ( when it is cool outside), load on AC drops and you can see that the idle RPM drops down to 800..

You must have taken delivery of the car in summer. That is the reason you have not seen much difference.

Most Viewed