Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 15:15   #1171
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Yea, seems odd. The SA told me that there was hardly any demand for it, so they stopped its production. Even the price list sheet did not have the 1.4 TSI option!
Old 8th September 2014, 15:53   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Went to the Skoda showroom here in Noida and was surprised to find that Skoda has discontinued the 1.4 TSI option from their Octavia line-up. Such a shame as that was the only variant that fit my budget :(.

Anyways, maybe they are thinking about getting the stripped down 1.8 TSI?
Same story with Jetta 1.4... although you could get one from dealers clearing their inventory though.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:51   #1173
Mtv
BHPian

I just bought a late 2013 1.8 tsi ambition done 3.4k km for 14l . Did I do well?
The car is spotless and drives like a dream. Other than noisy ORVM functioning, I have no complaints.
Mtv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 21:23   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
I just bought a late 2013 1.8 tsi ambition done 3.4k km for 14l . Did I do well?

The car is spotless and drives like a dream. Other than noisy ORVM functioning, I have no complaints.

You mean you bought the Octavia 1.8 TSI in Ambition trim with a manual transmission? AFAIK Skoda did not make any such models. There was some confusion earlier too regarding the availability of this trim and model, but it was not true. Indon't want to make you feel stupid but Ambition trim is only available in 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI, with a DSG option for the TDI.
Old 12th September 2014, 21:25   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
You are one of those lucky ones, no need to wait for the car and you paid about 8L less too, fantastic deal. But get a full check done just in case, why would someone sell so early and for so less. I earnestly hope nothing wrong with the car. Enjoy buddy.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 21:46   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You mean you bought the Octavia 1.8 TSI in Ambition trim with a manual transmission? AFAIK Skoda did not make any such models. There was some confusion earlier too regarding the availability of this trim and model, but it was not true. Indon't want to make you feel stupid but Ambition trim is only available in 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI, with a DSG option for the TDI.
Well not quite. In late 2013 and early 2014 they did launch Ambition 1.8 DSG. Our very own GTO has a thread on this forum about it.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 21:53   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Excellent value. No waiting periods. Enjoy the drive. Put up a thread on ownership. 3.4 k as good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 23:25   #1178
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

It's a 1.8 tsi DSG Ambition, a limited run production from what I gather. Basically a stripped down Elegance but with the same lip spoiler. Your black tsi looks absolutely stunning, I was closely watching your ownership thread. Are the issues with yours sorted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You are one of those lucky ones, no need to wait for the car and you paid about 8L less too, fantastic deal. But get a full check done just in case, why would someone sell so early and for so less. I earnestly hope nothing wrong with the car. Enjoy buddy.
Thank you! it's the Ambition variant so that might explain the relatively lower price. I did have the car looked at by a local mechanic and he didn't have much to Complain about. The paint condition is atrocious though, there is absolutely no shine or gleam on the candy white car, I daresay it looks matte white. Seems like it was perpetually parked in the sun by the previous owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Excellent value. No waiting periods. Enjoy the drive. Put up a thread on ownership. 3.4 k as good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Thank you! I will do that just as soon as I get the car detailed next week.
Old 13th September 2014, 13:13   #1179
Team-BHP Support

We have sold our November 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S. Took delivery of our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG within one month of booking it, courtesy a cancellation! The car has barely done 150 km so attempting to start an Initial Ownership Report wouldn't do it any justice. I'm targeting the month of November as we should have logged in the miles by then, considering that we have a Goa drive scheduled for the first week of that month.

But for now, here are my initial observations:

- It's FAST..

- I was doing 110 km/h (on an empty Cubbon Road early Sunday morning) and I genuinely believed I was doing 50 km/h before I looked at the speedometer. Straight-line stability is in a league of its own, especially when you come from Jap / Koran cars.

- Ride quality is exemplary. Soaks up the bad roads like a boss!

- Great frontal / lateral visibility. Much better than the Civic.

- Feels like a tank.

- Mileage as per the MID is absolutely terrible. Granted, the car is usually put through heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic on a daily basis, but 5-6 is what the indicator throws up and it's heart-wrenching. Hopefully, it should get better after the first service.

- Feels laggy off-the-mark. Not very responsive in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Closing small gaps between cars in heavy traffic is a real task.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-wp_20140904_004.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-wp_20140905_006.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-wp_20140905_010.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-wp_20140905_011.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-wp_20140905_012.jpg  

suhaas307 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 14:19   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We have sold our November 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S. Took delivery of our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG within one month of booking it
Nice buy Suhaas. Its a terrific car

Even I struggled with the non linear power delivery that comes with TC'ed cars initially. Its now become a habit leaving a huge gap between me and the car in front. Coming from the Civic you'll love the abundant torque available across the rev range.

Mileage will improve slightly after about 5k kms. But you'll be hard pressed to get better than 7 kmpl in Bangalore Traffic. I find that as long as the car is in motion, mileage rarely drops below 10.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 14:56   #1181
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
We have sold our November 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S. Took delivery of our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG within one month of booking it, courtesy a cancellation! .
Congratulations on your new Octavia! Looks like a total sleeper in this particular shade.

I share the same grouse about the mileage, the MID indicates a long term average of 5.9 km/l. Absolutely horrendous. Let's hope things get better after the first service.
Mtv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 15:12   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have sold our November 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S. Took delivery of our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG within one month of booking it, courtesy a cancellation!

- Mileage as per the MID is absolutely terrible. Granted, the car is usually put through heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic on a daily basis, but 5-6 is what the indicator throws up and it's heart-wrenching.

Congrats and welcome to the TSI DSG club. Hope your car gives you many miles of reliable motoring. These cars are absolutely fantastic when they work.

Mileage is very sensitive to traffic - on bad days going cross town in Bombay, I get as little as 3-4 kmpl on my Superb, but my overall average is about 7. Highway drives at a reasonable steady pace (80-90 kmph) will give as much as 15-16 kmpl.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 17:20   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Suhaas! The Octavia 1.8 TSI is a fantastic car, the best car this side of 25 lakhs for me. To get it in just a month is super, but I wonder if Cappucino beige was your first color choice. It is a Cappucino beige, right?

Mileage seems poor, but it will pick up by all accounts. In any case, no one buys it for the mileage. Give it some open road and it'll bring a smike to your face.

Hope you have a lovely time with it, wish I could have got one in a month!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 17:47   #1184
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Suhaas. Do watch out for the oil consumption initially. Keep a litre of oil in the boot handy.

The TSI is known to drink oil in the early days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats Suhaas! The Octavia 1.8 TSI is a fantastic car, the best car this side of 25 lakhs for me. To get it in just a month is super, but I wonder if Cappucino beige was your first color choice. It is a Cappucino beige, right?

Mileage seems poor, but it will pick up by all accounts. In any case, no one buys it for the mileage. Give it some open road and it'll bring a smike to your face.

Hope you have a lovely time with it, wish I could have got one in a month!
Car is for his dad, he won't be allowing Suhaas near it. Lol.

He got cappuccino beige as cancellation from another customer.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th September 2014 at 17:48.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 17:51   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Car is for his dad, he won't be allowing Suhaas near it. Lol

Well that changes things a bit. I certainly got that wrong!

I'd be bummed out to see a 1.8 TSI in the family and get no time with it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
He got cappuccino beige as cancellation from another customer.

Yup, figured as much. Worked out well though, it's a great colour for someone older.

Most Viewed