Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 10:52   #1216
AB1

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hi Everyone,just wanted to know if oil temperature is displayed in your info screen.Mine is a TDI DSG Elegance and the oil temp is not displayed.Thanks.
Old 7th October 2014, 12:15   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
Hi Everyone,just wanted to know if oil temperature is displayed in your info screen.Mine is a TDI DSG Elegance and the oil temp is not displayed.Thanks.
Mine TSI elegance, oil temp is displayed.
Old 8th October 2014, 09:57   #1218
Senior - BHPian

I hear a "dub..dub..dub" (that's the best I could come up with) kind of sound from the rear suspension in my Octavia 2.0TDI when going over potholes, the ride is still perfectly fine. I know about the noisy rear suspension in the Torsion Beam equipped Octavias, but I find this sound unusual, Is this normal, anyone facing this same issue ?
Old 8th October 2014, 10:27   #1219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
I hear a "dub..dub..dub" (that's the best I could come up with) kind of sound from the rear suspension in my Octavia 2.0TDI when going over potholes, the ride is still perfectly fine. I know about the noisy rear suspension in the Torsion Beam equipped Octavias, but I find this sound unusual, Is this normal, anyone facing this same issue ?
I used to hear this sound in my car which seemed to be originating from rear. It was a sound like somebody drumming at far. The sound increased (and also changed) when the rear drum was hammered out & refitted after a brake job. The problem was diagnosed with the wheel bearing. The inner race of the bearing had a minute crack. The sound you mentioned reminded me of it, hence the problem may be with the wheel bearings.
Old 8th October 2014, 10:45   #1220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think its normal with these Euro cars with slightly stiffer suspension. The tend to thud through large pot holes. Also the rear hatch design amplifies those sounds a bit as its not as well insulated as in cars with just the boot opening. What air pressures are you running? Try lowering it to about 29 ~ 30 psi.

I really wonder how much they have saved by going for the Torsion beam suspension for the TDI. Very unusual for the same model to have two different suspension set ups for the diesel and petrol models. Probably on smooth tarmac it won't make much of a difference, but on inconsistent Indian roads the multi-link set up makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I used to hear this sound in my car which seemed to be originating from rear. It was a sound like somebody drumming at far. The sound increased (and also changed) when the rear drum was hammered out & refitted after a brake job. The problem was diagnosed with the wheel bearing. The inner race of the bearing had a minute crack. The sound you mentioned reminded me of it, hence the problem may be with the wheel bearings.
I believe his is a new car. I don't think wheel bearing issues crop up so early.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 10:47   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
well that sound should be present continuously in that case, mine only comes when going over pot holes, its wispier quiet otherwise.

It sound like something from the rear struts, not sure if anyone is facing this noise in their TDIs. Mine has done only 500Kms and this noise is present from day one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I think its normal with these Euro cars with slightly stiffer suspension. The tend to thud through large pot holes. Also the rear hatch design amplifies those sounds a bit as its not as well insulated as in cars with just the boot opening. What air pressures are you running? Try lowering it to about 29 ~ 30 psi.

I really wonder how much they have saved by going for the Torsion beam suspension for the TDI. Very unusual for the same model to have two different suspension set ups for the diesel and petrol models. Probably on smooth tarmac it won't make much of a difference, but on inconsistent Indian roads the multi-link set up makes a huge difference.
Maybe it is with these Euro cars, this being my first (well I had a palio but that was a hatch). But mine makes this bobbing sounds even over small pot holes and its not really a thud, like a dub dub dub as the suspension moves.

I'm running 32 both front and rear, maybe i'll lower it a bit on the rears

Last edited by ajmat : 8th October 2014 at 11:27.
Old 8th October 2014, 11:52   #1222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe it is with these Euro cars, this being my first (well I had a palio but that was a hatch). But mine makes this bobbing sounds even over small pot holes and its not really a thud, like a dub dub dub as the suspension moves.

Have you looked at the possibility of this sound coming from something loose in the boot or the parcel shelf? The Laura was notorious for these kinds of sounds from the rear. Try removing the tool kit and parcel shelf see if the sound goes.
Old 8th October 2014, 12:05   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Have you looked at the possibility of this sound coming from something loose in the boot or the parcel shelf? The Laura was notorious for these kinds of sounds from the rear. Try removing the tool kit and parcel shelf see if the sound goes.
Didn't try the parcel tray yet, but tried removing the toolkit and the spare wheel, no help.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:52   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
well that sound should be present continuously in that case, mine only comes when going over pot holes, its wispier quiet otherwise.

It sound like something from the rear struts, not sure if anyone is facing this noise in their TDIs. Mine has done only 500Kms and this noise is present from day one

I too own a 2.0TDI AT and am myself experiencing the same sound especially when the car is passing through huge potholes or those inline multiple speed breakers. I have ignored it since everybody had said about the noisy rear suspension and thought this to be a consequence of that. It is my first Euro too and thus, dont know much about it. Maybe the gurus can help.
Also my car has done 6500kms in last 3 months of ownership and nearing the first check-up milestone. As far as I can see, there are no such problems with the car till date, except that there is some noise with the brakes, especially when you release them a bit slowly. Also, in case i am not listening to any music, there is kind of rattling noise which i can hear from the dashboard, which I will get checked after clocking up the remaining 1K kms. But please can anyone help me with the brake issue, its really irritating.
Regards,
Shreyak
Old 9th October 2014, 00:45   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I too own a 2.0TDI AT and am myself experiencing the same sound especially when the car is passing through huge potholes or those inline multiple speed breakers. I have ignored it since everybody had said about the noisy rear suspension and thought this to be a consequence of that. It is my first Euro too and thus, dont know much about it. Maybe the gurus can help.
Thanks, maybe it is the noisy suspension

Quote:
except that there is some noise with the brakes, especially when you release them a bit slowly
what kind of noise, like a squealing noise or a rattle
Old 9th October 2014, 01:08   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, maybe it is the noisy suspension
Yeah it is the drumming sound which has been on talks since its launch. But i hardly notice it when I have my music on and doesn't bother me much!

Quote:
what kind of noise, like a squealing noise or a rattle

Well, it is not rattling, I feel it can be considered as squealing, it is like something is trying hard to release itself from some hold which produces this irritating noise and the sound increases significantly when the brakes are released at a slower pace. I think it is more prominent when I release the brakes of car parked on some inclined surface like, the ramp of my house. Its magnitude is tremendous and I am not sure what it is about... Anything related to discs? Gurus, please help!

Regards,
Shreyak
Old 9th October 2014, 10:29   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Well, it is not rattling, I feel it can be considered as squealing, it is like something is trying hard to release itself from some hold which produces this irritating noise and the sound increases significantly when the brakes are released at a slower pace. I think it is more prominent when I release the brakes of car parked on some inclined surface like, the ramp of my house. Its magnitude is tremendous and I am not sure what it is about... Anything related to discs? Gurus, please help!
Are you sure it is not coming from the DSG, or it could be the Hill Hold Assist or even a malfunctioning Brake Assist System
Old 9th October 2014, 16:13   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure it is not coming from the DSG, or it could be the Hill Hold Assist or even a malfunctioning Brake Assist System
I dont think it is the DSG, the sound comes while releasing the brakes! Also, no sound when brakes are used in a moving car. It just comes when starting from a standstill!
Old 9th October 2014, 16:50   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have it on my TDI Ambition.
Old 9th October 2014, 17:59   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a TDI DSG Elegance and the oil temp is not displayed
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Mine TSI elegance, oil temp is displayed.
I thought Engine Oil temp. was shown only in L&K models. It would be missing in TDI elegance model. However it makes sense to have the engine oil temp. displayed in TSI elegance as petrol motors run hotter than diesel motors in general.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks