Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 07:42   #1261
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

I am planning on getting the Octavia vRS petrol, DSG edition when it gets launched.
Any insider information on this?

Launch date
Engine - Is it going to be the 1.8 or 2.0
DSG box - 7 speed problem child or the bullet proof 6 speed
Old 8th December 2014, 15:51   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
I am planning on getting the Octavia vRS petrol, DSG edition when it gets launched.

Launch date
There is no confirmation from Skoda that they are going to launch the vRS. In fact, they actually denied the launch rumours a few months ago. It was there on Motoroids.com.

So the specs are simply out of the question.

just an observation on DQ200 (the problem child). VW have recently launched the new Polo GTI with a 1.8 TSI engine, 176 bhp with a DQ200. True that the engine's torque has been detuned to 25 Nm to keep it under the limit for DQ200, but VW seems to have the confidence to put it in their performance oriented cars, which may also be driven hard by their owners. So, it should be relatively safe in normally driven cars as well.
Old 8th December 2014, 17:43   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Launch date
Octavia VRS is very unlikely to come to our shores in the near future at least. The 1.8 TSi itself has a long waiting period as kits are coming in a trickle. Skoda dealers are even discouraging prospective buyers from booking the car!

Even if it we hope to get it at a later stage I don't see it coming with a 2.0 TSI engine. Skoda may skip the DSG and give it a manual gearbox as many VRS enthusiasts buy the car just for the fun of modding it.

If you are particular about DSG, get the 1.8 TSI DSG now. Who knows when Skoda will pull the plug on that one! You can mod it bigger wheels, stiffer dampers and sporty exhausts etc... and of course VRS badges, skirts and spoilers . Torque limitations of the DQ 200 will not allow you to bump up power with remaps. Such a pity as the 1.8 TSI engine is so mod friendly.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:04   #1264
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:

Launch date
Hi Raajks,

As pointed out by other bhpians, even i was in the lookout for the vRS. The UK specs are a lot cooler but if the pricing in UK itself would be about INR 23 lacs (approx). When approached the authorized dealer, he was not aware of any planned launch of skoda octavia vRS in the near future.

If it is only for the performance mods, that you are wanting a Octavia vRS, my suggestion would be to get a used Laura 1.8TSI and soup it up with whatever mods you would like it, to look like vRS. The engine is mod friendly and your cost of ownership, might not be that much as well.

Happy selection.

Last edited by GTO : 11th December 2014 at 13:07. Reason: Not a Laura thread
ru153 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2014, 22:14   #1265
BHPian

Hey Guys, I appreciate your responses!
I wanted to take my Polo GT TDi all the way to a sequential dog box, considering that this may be a family, quasi-trackway / hill climb car. I let go of the family car taking a close to 30% hit in depreciation.

The reasons for the vRS are the following:
1) DQ 250 - I wish they have the sense to plonk this gearbox instead of the DQ 200. I understand VW would have put some good thought on why they chose to plonk a cheaper gearbox instead of the heavy duty DQ 250, but it beats my logic.

This has now become a wish!

2) Steering: Variable steering ratio, I am not sure if this is available for the regular Octavia, I could not find it in the brochure.

3) Stiffer anti-roll bar: This would help in better rotation of the car

I did want to go the route of plonking a B16 on the Octavia.
But Octavia vRS is not just about cosmetics, My hope is that it goes beyond!

I got a call from one of the factory contacts who indicated that the car would be launched by Dec end or Jan for sure but the Tafe folks have no idea of it.

I will wait around for a month and see how things pan out.

vRS in a manual box only is a missed opportunity!
With Left foot braking, trail braking and brake drifting. The DSG box fitted vRS could be a fun machine in the right hands.

Too much car fantasy! Apologies

Last edited by raajks : 9th December 2014 at 22:16.
Old 11th December 2014, 09:46   #1266
BHPian

I heard rumors that Marikar motors, the only Skoda dealer in Kerala is shutting down. I can't find them in the dealer locator at the Skoda website either. Anyone have any information about this? They are not listed in the customer care page either. You can select Kochi but there's no dealer listed. So you can't even register a complaint now?
Old 12th December 2014, 00:20   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Saw another Octavia with LED tail lamps today in Ahmedabad. It was an Ambition TDI DSG. Wonder why my dealer is absolutely clueless about these. However I noted that unlike the Superb's tail light, the reverse light was yellow. And the LED bars look great in action. Lifts up the car's rear a few notches, pun intended
Old 12th December 2014, 10:06   #1268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Saw another Octavia with LED tail lamps today in Ahmedabad. It was an Ambition TDI DSG.
I saw another one here in Navsari last weekend with the LED tail lamps; brand new with temporary registration sticker on the rear.

Why don’t you inquire with a Mumbai based dealer? Your Ahmedabad dealer doesn’t seem very helpful!

I am wondering if a member here who has taken a delivery recently, has the LED tail lights. Perhaps, he hasn’t noticed this?

Quote:
It was an Ambition TDI DSG.
Just curious. How do you make out if it is a TDI or a TSI from the outside? Since the new Octavia doesn't have the engine moniker on the rear hatch.
Old 12th December 2014, 11:21   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I heard rumors that Marikar motors, the only Skoda dealer in Kerala is shutting down. I can't find them in the dealer locator at the Skoda website either. Anyone have any information about this? They are not listed in the customer care page either. You can select Kochi but there's no dealer listed. So you can't even register a complaint now?

When Vision motors shut down their Skoda showroom in Calicut, the old Marikar showroom which was shut for quite some time had opened up. Or atleast that's what I heard then and saw a few cars in their showroom too around that time, which used to be deserted ever since they had shut down earlier. But now it seems they are not the ones coming back but another dealer Pinnacle motors (?) IIRC coming up opp. VW showroom in Calicut. As of now the service centre for Skoda in Calicut is Vision Motors and they will wind up sometime this month I guess, after the new service centre opens up. Wonder what's happening with Marikar motors.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 13:59   #1270
BHPian

I have more or less zeroed on Octavia Ambition DSG for my next purchase. I am told waiting period of 4-6 months. I have been closely following monthly sales figures of Octavia. Average sales of Octavia for the last six months has been 160 units only. Inspite of having such a long waiting period, the company is producing only 160 units! Here the strategy (if at all there is one) of the company is baffling me. You launch a product with much fan fare and you are selling the numbers that does no justice to the demand and interest that people have in the product. Here we are not talking about numbers in thousands where there may be genuine production constraints. Here we are talking about numbers in couple of hundreds! It speaks of very poor production planning and wrong priorities.

Add to this news about closing of dealerships and company itself. My confidence in the product is shaking up. I would invite any other update/news on the same.

November Sale Figures

Quote:
Saw another Octavia with LED tail lamps today in Ahmedabad. It was an Ambition TDI DSG. Wonder why my dealer is absolutely clueless about these. However I noted that unlike the Superb's tail light, the reverse light was yellow. And the LED bars look great in action. Lifts up the car's rear a few notches, pun intended
Sales representative told me that they do not come with LEDs. One interesting thing that I noticed in of the Octavia's that I was following was that I found right tail light to be brighter than the left one. It didn't seem to be broken. May be right one was LED and the left one was normal!

This brings me to an interesting observation on production planning of VW group as a whole. I had also checked out Jetta and I was looking for comforline variant. When I asked the sales representative about bluetooth connectivity and number of speakers on this variant he told me that it depends upon the batch in which it is manufactured and he will have to check specific model to comment about its availability on comfortline variant!
Old 12th December 2014, 16:28   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Sales representative told me that they do not come with LEDs. One interesting thing that I noticed in of the Octavia's that I was following was that I found right tail light to be brighter than the left one. It didn't seem to be broken. May be right one was LED and the left one was normal!
One halogen unit and one LED unit is not possible. Also, I believe you saw the right tail light to be brighter because may be the rear fog light was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I saw another one here in Navsari last weekend with the LED tail lamps; brand new with temporary registration sticker on the rear.

Why don’t you inquire with a Mumbai based dealer? Your Ahmedabad dealer doesn’t seem very helpful!
Thats my next step. Just for curiosity sake, and if available, I'll source it from Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am wondering if a member here who has taken a delivery recently, has the LED tail lights. Perhaps, he hasn’t noticed this?

Just curious. How do you make out if it is a TDI or a TSI from the outside? Since the new Octavia doesn't have the engine moniker on the rear hatch.
1) I peeped in saw the DSG lever.
2) No xenon lights and sunroof, hence proved it was Ambition.
3) DSG and Ambition is only possible for TDI and not TSI.
Old 12th December 2014, 18:37   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) DSG and Ambition is only possible for TDI and not TSI.
Wrong! Limited numbers of TSI ambition were sold.

One of our members has got one http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3530729

Skoda is one mysterious company
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 02:45   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Wrong! Limited numbers of TSI ambition were sold.

One of our members has got one http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3530729

Skoda is one mysterious company

It was brand new since it had the LED tail lights.. I heard the diesel clatter while I walked past it along with the diesel engine stench, so that confirmed it. Although I am yet to see an Ambition TSI DSG on the roads of Ahmedabad.
Old 13th December 2014, 06:55   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
One halogen unit and one LED unit is not possible. Also, I believe you saw the right tail light to be brighter because may be the rear fog light was on.

Thats my next step. Just for curiosity sake, and if available, I'll source it from Mumbai.
Vagtune guys has Octavia LED tail lights, here it is http://www.vagtune.com/secure/car-ty...5a-096a-detail
Old 13th December 2014, 08:43   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Vagtune guys has Octavia LED tail lights, here it is http://www.vagtune.com/secure/car-ty...5a-096a-detail

Not sure if it will require coding via VCDS after installing the lights. Also they're really expensive on Vagtune.com
If you check Skoda's website for service cost calculator, the tail light to be replaced costs around ₹5500 each. So definitely getting it from your dealer makes sense, and they will install it too. The ones I saw were not full LED though so wondering whether Vagtune's are full LED or part LED. Skoda! Wake up your dealers! They always end up acting like dumb lost souls in this everyday growing automotive world. As said earlier, dealer in Ahmedabad tried his level best to convince me that my car, bought in October 2013, is already fitted with LED tail lights. Every time I unlock my car at night, I am hopeful to see LED in place of halogens might magically appear will go personally to thee dealer next month for second service, and will figure out then. Meanwhile people in Mumbai and Delhi can confirm the case at their dealerships pls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks