Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2014, 11:04   #1276
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Not sure if it will require coding via VCDS after installing the lights.
LEDs draw much lesser current as compared to the halogen bulbs in normal tail lamps and hence throws up an error unless the BCM is told (coding) that LED tail lamps are installed when you swap halogen tail lamps. It's a minor coding where one feature has to be activated, that's all. Does your car come with BCM that supports LED tail lamps is one thing that will have to be confirmed. There could be BCMs that support LED lamps as well as ones which don't. What is provided in a particular VAG car needs to be checked. If it's already supported, it's fine. If it doesn't, BCM might need an upgrade. It could be checked with VCDS if your car's BCM has the option for LED lamps.
Old 13th December 2014, 11:40   #1277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
LEDs draw much lesser current as compared to the halogen bulbs in normal tail lamps and hence throws up an error unless the BCM is told (coding) that LED tail lamps are installed when you swap halogen tail lamps.
Ajay, I have a feeling that the resistance part is taken care of by the tail lights itself. They may have provided the adequate resistance inside the tail light. Recall that error-free festoons and W5W LEDs have the SMD resistors soldered onto the board itself.
Old 13th December 2014, 11:51   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Ajay, I have a feeling that the resistance part is taken care of by the tail lights itself. They may have provided the adequate resistance inside the tail light. Recall that error-free festoons and W5W LEDs have the SMD resistors soldered onto the board itself.

Gannu, the resistance is added to cope LED lamps in a circuit with lamp failure detection for halogen bulbs. When you wanna install the OE LED Units, if you have a supporting CECM/BCM, you can code it to accept LED lamps and stop detecting filament bulb failures. I don't think OE tail lamps have resistances as that would defeat the purpose of using LEDs.

My BCM (upgraded) supports LEDs without added resistance and I have coded the same for license plate lights and front position lights. Once I get my LED tail lamp, I can swap it and would require only coding. There wont be any resistances added.
Old 18th December 2014, 13:57   #1279
BHPian

To put all the speculation to rest, here is a photo of the New Octavia tail light. Yes, it is a 'light pipe' design with LEDs. I had gone to do a pre-delivery inspection of the car (Thanks to TBHP for the pointers) and took the shot today.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octy_led_taillight.jpg  

Haren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 14:08   #1280
BHPian

Friends, finally I have decided to go with the decision of my heart and booked Skoda Octavia Amibtion DSG. Paid the booking about on this Monday and I am told waiting period of 4 - 6 months. :(

I thank Adi, B747, Abhinav and joethomasv for their wonderful ownership threads which helped me in making up my mind for Octavia.

Friends, after going through above mentioned threads I have following concerns:

Noise from ORVMs and other rattles
Is the noise problem from ORVMs sorted out newer cars or does it still persists. What about rattles from front side as mentioned by Adi.

Skoda ASS:
I did not have smooth and satisfying experience dealing with Skoda Sales representatives. I am seriously worried about after sales service offered by dealership in Ahmedabad. I have been promised a meeting with Workshop Manager at the time of delivery to remove my apprehensions and assure me trouble free ownership. I don't how much this is going to help.

Further whosoever I talk to about booking of Skoda Octavia have some horror stories to tell ranging from frequent visits to service stations to sort out niggles in the car, bad service experience and cars staying in garages for months due to non availability of parts. I sincerely hope that they are improving in this aspect.

Edit: Thanks Haren for the update. LED really looks cool.

Last edited by rutvij : 18th December 2014 at 14:10.
rutvij is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 15:56   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Friends, finally I have decided to go with the decision of my heart and booked Skoda Octavia Amibtion DSG. Paid the booking about on this Monday and I am told waiting period of 4 - 6 months. :(
Welcome to the club dear rutvij, i am sure that you will enjoy every bit of this wonderful car but not sure how you can survive this 4-6 months of waiting period . Torque that too right from low RPM is damn addictive and the spacious interiors crafted with top quality materials is going to give a luxurious and comfortable drive.
So the count down for the delivery date started........
Old 20th December 2014, 17:53   #1282
BHPian

Heart won over the heart!

After having a detailed discussion in this thread (link below) booked the Octavia 1.8 TSI
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3603062

Delivery time is 6-7months.
Old 20th December 2014, 18:06   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Lovely choice Rahul, congrats. That is one incredibly long wait, hopefully you get your hands on it sooner rather than later.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:38   #1284
BHPian

Those led lights look really good. I think I got a raw deal now. No led lights and not even the traditional skoda horn! But I guess I shouldn't complain I got my skoda in just a day (due to a cancellation) since I made up my mind on buying the car and visiting the dealer.
Have completed around 14k Kms and apart from an alignment issue the car is working flawlessly. After the first inspection the fuel efficiency also improved to 14-15kmpl in the city and around 16kmpl on the highway
Old 23rd December 2014, 20:36   #1285
BHPian

That's right. I was pleasantly surprised to the hear the old VW/Skoda type horn on the car. I was expecting a normal horn and was planning on changing it after delivery. Saved me some work and money :-).
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 19:43   #1286
BHPian

Yesterday I received my package from aliexpress with VCDS cable & software inside. After doing some research decided to start with some basic tweaking, so I tried to enable needle sweep and it worked in first attempt itself .

Here are the links
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...ed-and-tested/

Short video which I recorded.
B747 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:42   #1287
BHPian

Some more VCDS tweaks and now passenger side rear view mirror dipping on engaging reverse is activated. This feature was available only in Elegance variant, but in Active/Ambition variants which has no memory seats mirror will dip only a little bit. This feature can be enabled/disabled from the menu.
Pic attached.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150102-09.28.10.jpg

Last edited by B747 : 2nd January 2015 at 15:47.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:35   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Yesterday I received my package from aliexpress with VCDS cable & software inside.
can you please share the link for the cable you purchased?
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:57   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
can you please share the link for the cable you purchased?
Here it is http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAG-C...890334133.html
For Octavia which is based on MQB platform the recommended version is 14.10.0, I could not find one so went with most latest available(12.12.3).
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:08   #1290
BHPian

Another VCDS success today, I could enable TPMS in my Octavia Ambition variant.
Details can be found here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...re-monitoring/

A) ABS controller settings
  1. ABS Brakes
  2. Adaptation
  3. Choose "Tire pressure monitoring display"
  4. Make sure the stored value is 2
  5. Make sure same value (2) is also set on "Tire pressure monitoring display;tire selection"
  6. In Long Coding the latest 3 bytes will be 004002, change this to 70C002
B) To enable the menu in bolero :
  1. Information
  2. Adaptation
  3. Choose - "Vehicle function list BAP-tire_pressure_system_0x07"
  4. Set value to active
  5. Select "BAB-tire_pressure_system_0x07_msg_bus" and verify it has value "Suspension data bus"
C) To enable the menu in bolero :
  1. Information
  2. Adaptation
  3. Choose "Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_rdk"
  4. Set value to active
  5. Select "Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_rdk_over_threshold_high" and make sure value is "activated"
D) Enable TPMS in the instruments
  1. Instruments
  2. Long Coding
  3. Byte 04
  4. Enable bit 0 -> Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS) installed.
Here is a pic of TPMS menu under the settings-> Tyre settings
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150103_180043.jpg

Note:- Indian Octavia has a TP button in the system, unfortunately I could not figure out how to activate this, have to use the "set" in the settings menu under "Tyre settings"
B747 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks