Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:46   #1291
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Another VCDS success today, I could enable TPMS in my Octavia Ambition variant.
This is fantastic, did you check if it works as intended.

Quote:
Note:- Indian Octavia has a TP button in the system, unfortunately I could not figure out how to activate this, have to use the "set" in the settings menu under "Tyre settings"
I believe the TP button in the Indian Octavia is for Traffic Presence
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:39   #1292
BHPian

I have to reduce pressure in one of the tyre and check it, will do that and update soon.

I thought it is Tyre pressure, can some one who has Elegance variant comment what does this TP do ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
This is fantastic, did you check if it works as intended.

Last edited by B747 : 3rd January 2015 at 20:40.
B747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:54   #1293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Quote:
I have to reduce pressure in one of the tyre and check it, will do that and update soon.

I thought it is Tyre pressure, can some one who has Elegance variant comment what does this TP do ?
It is indeed a tyre pressure monitoring system and not traffic presence. The button has a tyre drawn on it with less air and an exclamation mark. When you press it the display shows the status.

The TPMS system on the Octavia uses the ESP/ABS to detect a change in wheel speed. A lower pressure will result in mismatch in wheel speed and will trigger the TPMS warning.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:37   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It is indeed a tyre pressure monitoring system and not traffic presence. The button has a tyre drawn on it with less air and an exclamation mark. When you press it the display shows the status.

The TPMS system on the Octavia uses the ESP/ABS to detect a change in wheel speed. A lower pressure will result in mismatch in wheel speed and will trigger the TPMS warning.
Thanks for clarifying this. Yes I am aware that it uses ABS speed sensors to detect pressure change (indirect TPMS ).
Is there any difference between TP menu and and menu pic which I posted in my previous post.
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:56   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The button I was talking about is not the same one. This button is labeled as TP and is besides the center console screen. The ambition model doesn't have the Tire Pressure button with the tire and exclamation mark and set written on top, on the elegance model this button is on the bottom center console just ahead of the gear lever.

TP button stands for traffic news or traffic presence and is also present in the elegance model, it doesn't work in India as it is related to fm radio service. On models with voice recognition it is labeled as voice (again not available in india)

Last edited by merve_extreme : 3rd January 2015 at 22:01.
Old 4th January 2015, 08:46   #1296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another VCDS success today, I could enable TPMS in my Octavia Ambition variant.

Note:- Indian Octavia has a TP button in the system, unfortunately I could not figure out how to activate this, have to use the "set" in the settings menu under "Tyre settings"
That is a cool VCDS mod

The Octavia has this TPMS menu as part of the head unit which is very convenient. In cars that do not have the system settings integrated into the head unit (for example, Jetta), a separate TPMS switch near the gear box console has to be used to set and clear the TPMS system (The TP switch on the head unit is not related to TPMS). Image below shows this switch next to the ESP OFF switch

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-tpms-switch.jpg

Image courtesy: Google search

I have been thinking of enabling this in my Jetta (for that I need to get a VCDS cable first ), but this would involve installing the TPMS switch and routing the wire from the TPMS switch to the ABS module in the engine bay. This wiring part is keeping me away from attempting this mod. Another option is to enable TPMS, and when the car throws a TPMS error, clear it using the VCDS cable.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 12:25   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have been thinking of enabling this in my Jetta (for that I need to get a VCDS cable first ), but this would involve installing the TPMS switch and routing the wire from the TPMS switch to the ABS module in the engine bay. This wiring part is keeping me away from attempting this mod. Another option is to enable TPMS, and when the car throws a TPMS error, clear it using the VCDS cable.
Isn't it too much hassle for something that is nice, but not a must-to-have? If I were to break my head, it would be for mirrors that auto-fold upon locking (I know, I know...not happening) memory seats (again, not happening). Is TPMS really that big of a deal, or am I missing something?
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 13:51   #1298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Isn't it too much hassle for something that is nice, but not a must-to-have? If I were to break my head, it would be for mirrors that auto-fold upon locking (I know, I know...not happening) memory seats (again, not happening). Is TPMS really that big of a deal, or am I missing something?
In certain ways, TPMS is a very useful feature to have, not just a nice feature. For example, you will get a warning when the tyres lose too much pressure. This in turn can save side wall damages to the tires. You would also get immediate warning on punctures. However, I agree that there is too much work involved. I think this is dependent on individual preference on the importance one gives to the feature vs. the work involved. To me, the advantages this feature provides do not outweigh the involved hassle, and that is why I have not taken any initiative on this (also due to warranty concerns and my laziness as well).

Also, enabling features like cluster staging, increase the number of lane change blinks, tear drop wipe etc do not justify the $250 (and additional cost for duty and shipping) investment on a VCDS cable. From B747's posts, a price tag of $25 from Ali Express is quite tempting.

I do have a wishlist for the following modifications on my Jetta.

1. Automatic open and closing of ORVMs. Twice, someone had closed the left side ORVM which resulted in a bone jarring thud while resynchronizing the motor. As I forget to close the mirrors before getting out of the car, this is a must have feature for me. Read many VW forum threads and found that this is possible with part number 5KD 959 793 A which is available for $72 in Ali Express. There are many users who have successfully implemented automatic folding using this module.
2. 177bhp / 380Nm remap. I saw a recent post from another user about a 177bhp Jetta with racechip. However the general opinion is that a remap is better than a tuning box as using a tuning box essentially fools the ECU to believe the fuel pressure is lower than actual, which further circumvents the safety features of the ECU. But also read that if the tuning is not done by an experienced professional, this could cause more problems with the engine.
3. Reverse parking camera. Maybe if the 2015 Jetta comes with a reverse parking camera, I could OEM components for this.
4. Head unit with system settings integration and navigation

Not sure when these will happen though.

Quote:
Here it is http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAG-C...890334133.html
For Octavia which is based on MQB platform the recommended version is 14.10.0, I could not find one so went with most latest available(12.12.3).
Thanks for the link. Yesterday, I was able to look at the product. But today, it says it is a dead link

Last edited by graaja : 4th January 2015 at 13:58.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 14:32   #1299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Automatic open and closing of ORVMs. Twice, someone had closed the left side ORVM which resulted in a bone jarring thud while resynchronizing the motor. As I forget to close the mirrors before getting out of the car, this is a must have feature for me. Read many VW forum threads and found that this is possible with part number 5KD 959 793 A which is available for $72 in Ali Express. There are many users who have successfully implemented automatic folding using this module.
I've noticed one thing about the Lauras power folding mirrors, which should be the same on the Jetta. If the mirrors are open, and I come back to find one or both folded by hand - If I use the switch inside and close them, and then reopen them then I get the thud. But if I just fold them back out by hand (and there is no resistance surprisingly, it folds back out as though its a normal mirror. I've never tried folding it in by hand.) then there is no noise at all.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 15:45   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
That is a cool VCDS mod

The Octavia has this TPMS menu as part of the head unit which is very convenient. In cars that do not have the system settings integrated into the head unit (for example, Jetta), a separate TPMS switch near the gear box console has to be used to set and clear the TPMS system (The TP switch on the head unit is not related to TPMS). Image below shows this switch next to the ESP OFF switch
Quote:
In certain ways, TPMS is a very useful feature to have, not just a nice feature. For example, you will get a warning when the tyres lose too much pressure.

Also, enabling features like cluster staging, increase the number of lane change blinks, tear drop wipe etc do not justify the $250 (and additional cost for duty and shipping) investment on a VCDS cable. From B747's posts, a price tag of $25 from Ali Express is quite tempting.
In Octavia no physical switch to reset TPMS, it is soft switch which comes in the touch screen (pic attached).
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150104-14.22.06.jpg

TMPS is definitely useful esp to identify puncture in rear wheels, front wheel puncture will be felt in steering wheel but rear wheel puncture is difficult to notice esp on highways and even more difficult if car lightly loaded.

$25 is with free shipping(takes 20-30 days) and I was not charged any customs duty even though it went for customs clearance.
One more item under consideration is this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-p...047044269.html

Last edited by B747 : 4th January 2015 at 15:49.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 16:27   #1301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I've noticed one thing about the Lauras power folding mirrors, which should be the same on the Jetta. If the mirrors are open, and I come back to find one or both folded by hand - If I use the switch inside and close them, and then reopen them then I get the thud. But if I just fold them back out by hand (and there is no resistance surprisingly, it folds back out as though its a normal mirror. I've never tried folding it in by hand.) then there is no noise at all.
Thanks a ton for the wonderful tip. This is a simple, logical and elegant solution to the problem, till I get the automatic folding figured out.

Quote:
$25 is with free shipping(takes 20-30 days) and I was not charged any customs duty even though it went for customs clearance.
I have one question. How many days did it take for the item to be delivered? The website mentions 30 to 60 days delivery. Did it take that long to arrive?
Old 4th January 2015, 16:38   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
I have one question. How many days did it take for the item to be delivered? The website mentions 30 to 60 days delivery. Did it take that long to arrive?
Around 20-25 days, ordered it on Dec first week and received it on Dec 26th.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 17:40   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more item under consideration is this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-p...047044269.html

pls confirm that it is the RHD version. The set for LHD will not fit a RHD car.
Old 5th January 2015, 18:57   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where the BCM is located in the Octavia? I want to physically verify part number and compare it to the same in MY 15 vehicles fitted with LED tail lights.
Old 6th January 2015, 13:41   #1305
BHPian

Using the VCDS, is it possible to change the automatic headlight turn on time to "Really Late"? I have set it at "Late" and I still feel it comes on when there is enough light.
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks