Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 15:08   #1306
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
Using the VCDS, is it possible to change the automatic headlight turn on time to "Really Late"? I have set it at "Late" and I still feel it comes on when there is enough light.
Disclaimer: I do not own a VCDS. I have been doing some reading on this for my Jetta (plan to buy a VCDS soon). So, this information is from what I have read. Try it at your own risk

Looks like you can adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor to adjust the threshold when the head lights turn on. In VCDS, look for Light/Rain Sensor. From some threads in VWVortex and Briskoda, looks like this could be in Byte 1 of address 09-02.

Check out this Ross Tech Wiki link. Byte 1 sets the sensitivity in %. Reduce the % to turn on the lights later.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 16:04   #1307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Does anyone know where the BCM is located in the Octavia?
Below the steering wheel. Default location of the BCM for VAG cars.

You may have to unscrew some Torx screws to dismantle the plastic trim (if there is one) located above the pedals. The plastic trim hides the BCM. Use a mirror to locate it. Unless you want to rest your head on the mat near the pedals.
Old 6th January 2015, 19:50   #1308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Below the steering wheel. Default location of the BCM for VAG cars.

You may have to unscrew some Torx screws to dismantle the plastic trim (if there is one) located above the pedals. The plastic trim hides the BCM. Use a mirror to locate it. Unless you want to rest your head on the mat near the pedals.
Don't you also get the BCM version/part number from VCDS itself?
Old 6th January 2015, 19:58   #1309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Don't you also get the BCM version/part number from VCDS itself?
Yep. From Central Electronics:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-bcm.jpg

I assumed Adi didn't have a VCDS cable.
Old 6th January 2015, 21:15   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the correct 'position' for locating the BCM I am still waiting for the cable, and also the car is due for next service, I want to install LED tail lights during the service visit. The technician and I spoke on email and he was concerned that the BCM might not be compatible, like others here. So I want to check the BCM part number for confirming. I assume it to be the highline one for supporting memory seats.
Old 7th January 2015, 19:12   #1311
BHPian

After searching high and low from the a4/3 series to linea/vento, have finally booked the octavia 1.8 tsi elegance this week in race blue. If the dealer (Tafe Access, Hosur Road) is to be believed, I should have the car by the end of February. I must thank this excellent official review as well as the two ownership reviews of the 1.8 tsi which helped me a lot in my decision-making.

Of all the dealers I visited in hosur road, bangalore from Nandi Toyota for the corolla altis, Trident Hyundai for the Elantra, Vecto motors for the linea and VW Bangalore (Elite motors) for the vento/jetta, dakshin honda for the city, Tafe Access was the most responsive and professional (to my biggest surprise) and the booking was very confidence inspiring. Of all the cars I test drove, the octavia tsi was far, far ahead in ride comfort and performance.

My biggest concern however is the wait period. How did it suddenly reduce to 2 months when it was 6 months almost through-out 2014? Is it because the demand has reduced now? I noticed double digit sales in Nov and Dec '14. Could that be the reason? The tafe access sales person said that the production has improved now and they are expected to get kits quicker in 2015. I just hope he knows what he is saying. The booking amount was only Rs. 50,000 so felt it wasn't a big risk waiting. With the Jetta facelift expected in February, I thought if this doesn't work out then I can switch bookings in March/April like many bhpians did in 2014.

And yes, I am new here so hello everyone!
phreakv6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 21:59   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post

Of all the dealers I visited in hosur road, bangalore from Nandi Toyota for the corolla altis, Trident Hyundai for the Elantra, Vecto motors for the linea and VW Bangalore (Elite motors) for the vento/jetta, dakshin honda for the city, Tafe Access was the most responsive and professional (to my biggest surprise) and the booking was very confidence inspiring. !
First of all congratulations on your Booking. I'm still in the deciding phase of what car to buy? Been toying with everything from the Vento / Rapid DSG to the X1 and when I almost zeroed down on the Jetta there were no cars available. The Octavia was the next logical choice so I've been waiting to hear back from Tafe access from 2 weeks. All I was told was a sales representative would get back to me. This happened once before too when I had requested for a test drive. After calling 4 times with no response I decided to walk in to their showroom. I was only disappointed further with the way they handled it. I gave the sales manager a piece of my mind about how they should treat a prospective customer and left. Hope you have a better experience. I was told by Vinayak the waiting period for TDI DSG is about 3-4 months
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 22:37   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
After searching high and low from the a4/3 series to linea/vento, have finally booked the octavia 1.8 tsi elegance this week in race blue.

And yes, I am new here so hello everyone!

Looks like you did the homework well! Congratz on the clever choice. That's one FTD car and in race blue it looks really sporty. Good to know that waiting period has reduced.

And hey, Welcome to the community!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 01:50   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
First of all congratulations on your Booking. I'm still in the deciding phase of what car to buy? Been toying with everything from the Vento / Rapid DSG to the X1 and when I almost zeroed down on the Jetta there were no cars available. The Octavia was the next logical choice so I've been waiting to hear back from Tafe access from 2 weeks. All I was told was a sales representative would get back to me. This happened once before too when I had requested for a test drive. After calling 4 times with no response I decided to walk in to their showroom. I was only disappointed further with the way they handled it. I gave the sales manager a piece of my mind about how they should treat a prospective customer and left. Hope you have a better experience. I was told by Vinayak the waiting period for TDI DSG is about 3-4 months
Your story sounds much like mine. I had gone to take a look at the vento when I was offered the Jetta Comfortline for 20L OTR by VW Bangalore (Elite Motors) but it simply din't make sense to me after having test driven the 1.8 TSI. The VW sales person was the least interested of the whole lot of sales guys i met in the last month as well. Did not pick calls, was vague on details, the works!

I was almost set on the linea in December with the huge discounts. 10.23L OTR for the t-jet with 78K discount was excellent but I was not able to get the color I wanted (black) and the other colors available sunbeam gold/pearl white etc. were all at least 8 months old. Strangely, though I was ready to pay the full amount without discount for a new car (< 2 months) in the color I wanted, it somehow was not possible to do the same. Fiat was on 2014 stock clearance mode only.

Walked into Nandi Toyota on a weekday and boy where they busy (The only busy dealer I found on a weekday). The showroom was so small and the cars were so parked so close to each other. The sales person was courteous and explained all the features of the car (corolla altis) and said he can get a car out to me for a test drive. The altis looked really premium inside out and probably looked bigger than it was in that cramped showroom.

Next stop was at Dakshin Honda to look at the City. I was 99% set on not buying the city but it would be stupid to brush something off without a test drive so that was done as well. Absolutely empty showroom and excellent sales guy who was keen and kind without being pushy. He somehow was confident we would be buying the car as he kept following-up with calls even though I wasn't showing much interest. The city really doesn't make sense unless you want a big back seat and don't care much about safety.

Elantra was knocked off at trident hyundai on a hot, hot wednesday. The car was parked in the sun and the sales guy showed off the cooled seats. Drove the car around a bit. I was set on not buying another hyundai. Good low speed ride but the octavia rides like its from a segment above on the highway. The wife liked the audio controls in arm rest of the back seat. Her music tastes are different from mine, so she liked the car.

That brings us to the skoda. I had filled the form on the skoda website for downloading the brochure and promptly received a call from Skoda India asking for my location and nearest dealer. I mentioned Tafe Access Hosur Road and they passed on the info to the dealer. I got a call instantly from Mr. Ramesh at Tafe who said he could arrange a test drive on the same day (again another weekday). He was helpful in explaining all the features of the car (Not that I wasn't aware) and let me take a test drive. The drive blew me away in the driver's seat as also the wife in the backseat as she kept asking the speeds I was doing. What she saw through the window apparently wasn't in sync with the ride the car gave her. That sealed the deal.

I have gone again twice to check the car with family and both times the sales person was around to show the car. When I asked about the waiting period, he said he will call back in a week and then I called him back again last week and he said he can get me the car by end of february and that led to the booking. He has assured a hassle-free cancellation and refund if they are not able to deliver as promised so I am hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Looks like you did the homework well! Congratz on the clever choice. That's one FTD car and in race blue it looks really sporty. Good to know that waiting period has reduced.

And hey, Welcome to the community!
Thank you. I hope I get the car as promised and its not all much ado about nothing.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 14:10   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
To put all the speculation to rest, here is a photo of the New Octavia tail light. Yes, it is a 'light pipe' design with LEDs. I had gone to do a pre-delivery inspection of the car (Thanks to TBHP for the pointers) and took the shot today.
Those LED tail lamps look pretty cool. The test drive vehicles did not have them.

I see from your previous posts that you may have booked the 1.8 TSI from Vinayak Skoda in Nov '14 and got the delivery in Dec '14. Is that right? How long was the wait period specified and was yours delivered as promised? What was the OTR price you paid? With the excise duty cut lifted, I think I may have to pay 3% more by the time of delivery. No news from Skoda on any price increase yet though I think. Please let me know as it will help me understand how long I may have to wait.

Thanks!
Old 8th January 2015, 14:30   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Those LED tail lamps look pretty cool. The test drive vehicles did not have them.

I see from your previous posts that you may have booked the 1.8 TSI from Vinayak Skoda in Nov '14 and got the delivery in Dec '14. Is that right? How long was the wait period specified and was yours delivered as promised? What was the OTR price you paid? With the excise duty cut lifted, I think I may have to pay 3% more by the time of delivery. No news from Skoda on any price increase yet though I think. Please let me know as it will help me understand how long I may have to wait.

Thanks!

My booking story is rather long!

I booked a 2.0 TDI elegance with Vinayak in March 2014. They could not get the car nor commit a date until August. So I cancelled with them. Then in October/November I visited them again and enquired (this time I had changed my mind to 1.8 TSI). They quoted 12-14 weeks waiting. I eventually booked a 1.8TSI with Tafe Access (4-5 months waiting period). Later Vinayak guys called me and said they had received an allocation for a red TSI. I booked that again and got delivery in 10 days.

Overall delivery experience was pretty good. However, they refused to give **Any** discount whatsoever. OTR was just over 24.02L.

Did anyone else get any discount?
Haren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 17:52   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
My booking story is rather long!

I booked a 2.0 TDI elegance with Vinayak in March 2014. They could not get the car nor commit a date until August. So I cancelled with them. Then in October/November I visited them again and enquired (this time I had changed my mind to 1.8 TSI). They quoted 12-14 weeks waiting. I eventually booked a 1.8TSI with Tafe Access (4-5 months waiting period). Later Vinayak guys called me and said they had received an allocation for a red TSI. I booked that again and got delivery in 10 days.

Overall delivery experience was pretty good. However, they refused to give **Any** discount whatsoever. OTR was just over 24.02L.

Did anyone else get any discount?
Thanks Haren, that helps. Looks like you have been through the worst and the best thing that can happen after booking a car but in the end all is well that ends well. I think you got lucky with the 10 days then and there is no accurate picture of the delivery time. 24.02L is the exact number in the price list given to me as well with absolutely no discount. I will find myself lucky if I pay just 24.02 as I expect a +60k excise duty hike surprise when I take delivery. At least I have been promised a 2015 car so lets see.
Old 8th January 2015, 19:32   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Haren, that helps. Looks like you have been through the worst and the best thing that can happen after booking a car but in the end all is well that ends well. I think you got lucky with the 10 days then and there is no accurate picture of the delivery time. 24.02L is the exact number in the price list given to me as well with absolutely no discount. I will find myself lucky if I pay just 24.02 as I expect a +60k excise duty hike surprise when I take delivery. At least I have been promised a 2015 car so lets see.
The December delivery was indeed a pleasant surprise. So the no-discount thing didn't bother me that much. Hope you get your allocation soon.

I feel the 1.8TSI is an awesome choice. On the second day after I got it, I drove to Devanahalli and back. The 115Km round trip gave 15Kmpl with some reasonable traffic and sedate driving. I was very surprised at the number.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octy_mileage.jpg  

Haren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 09:05   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
I feel the 1.8TSI is an awesome choice. On the second day after I got it, I drove to Devanahalli and back. The 115Km round trip gave 15Kmpl with some reasonable traffic and sedate driving. I was very surprised at the number.
15kmpl is awesome, makes me jealous . How is it in typical Bangalore traffic?
Old 9th January 2015, 09:39   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
15kmpl is awesome, makes me jealous . How is it in typical Bangalore traffic?
Office commute gives 11-13Kmpl in moderate traffic. I think the key is not to go heavy on the gas pedal at every chance. I open it up only on clear roads, that too without flooring it. It is very tempting, though

When you set the Cluster display to average or instantaneous consumption and drive for a few trips you can see how the pattern affects mileage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks