Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 00:42   #1456
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Guys, hasn't anyone thought of upsizing the Alloys to 17"or 18"?

I for some reason am not very happy with the Stock Alloys ! I have a Black Octy and personally feel that Black Rims on the car would look super

Anyone has any suggestions/ recommendations regarding the same? I am checking out the Alloys that are listed on the saimagwheels website. Have found some pretty interesting Rims on their website.

Cheers,

Artem
Old 5th March 2015, 08:05   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Guys, hasn't anyone thought of upsizing the Alloys to 17"or 18"?

Artem

Are you ready for a compromise in the comfort of the car? If yes, look for good 17" borbet alloys and 225/40R17 tyres as this will be a good upside for stance and performance. Petes.in sells borbet alloys and changemytyre.com offers good old TSW Mallory rims.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 08:28   #1458
BHPian

Adi, Comfort yes ! That isn't an issue per se . I primarily use the car only in the city. I know the roads aren't really awesome but I guess 17" Rims won't really hurt. The Octavia VRs comes with Standard 17" Rims and if I am not mistaken, it shares the same suspension as the 1.8 TSi. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I had a look on saimagwheels and found some pretty interesting rims !
And then I stumbled upon Wheelbasealloys.com which is even better. The website is a UK based one. I have narrowed down my search to just two particular models, the maker being Wolfrace. They are ridiculously expensive, but that is alright. The only deal being the shipping charges are 300 GBP . So it is going to cost me around 91K just for delivery of the Alloys. The tyres come later of course.

Check the Wolfrace website out. It gives a pretty good idea of what your car will look like with a particular set of Rims.
http://www.wolfrace.com/
Old 5th March 2015, 13:56   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Adi, Comfort yes ! That isn't an issue per se . I primarily use the car only in the city. I know the roads aren't really awesome but I guess 17" Rims won't really hurt. The Octavia VRs comes with Standard 17" Rims and if I am not mistaken, it shares the same suspension as the 1.8 TSi. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I had a look on saimagwheels and found some pretty interesting rims !
And then I stumbled upon Wheelbasealloys.com which is even better. The website is a UK based one. I have narrowed down my search to just two particular models, the maker being Wolfrace. They are ridiculously expensive, but that is alright. The only deal being the shipping charges are 300 GBP . So it is going to cost me around 91K just for delivery of the Alloys. The tyres come later of course.

Check the Wolfrace website out. It gives a pretty good idea of what your car will look like with a particular set of Rims.
http://www.wolfrace.com/
Checkout original Skoda alloys here.

If you are happy with black ones without upsizing then you can buy them from Skoda India as they are available as accessories.
Old 5th March 2015, 16:31   #1460
BHPian

Dude have already had a look at the Original Skoda Alloys, which are available in India. They don't look very appealing to me. And like I mentioned I want to change over to 17" Rims.

Does anyone know of any good alloy wheel store in Pune who can provide Oz Rims or equivalent? I tried searching on google, but did not find any specific dealer.

I enquired with the wolfrace guys from the UK. As mentioned above they are quoting 91K for shipment of the Alloys, additionally I would have to pay the Import duty on these Alloys separately which is approx. 10% of the original cost. So the whole package works out to over 1 Lakh ! And then again the Tyres and the charges for the fitments and the wheel alignment are going to be more. So I am looking at nothing less that about 1.2~1.3 Lakhs for the complete change over. IMO I think it's worth it, but I really don't want to take a chance on the Import Duty, cause if the Rims get stuck at Customs then I am definitely going to do a lot of running around to get them thru.
Old 5th March 2015, 17:07   #1461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dude have already had a look at the Original Skoda Alloys, which are available in India. They don't look very appealing to me. And like I mentioned I want to change over to 17" Rims.

Does anyone know of any good alloy wheel store in Pune who can provide Oz Rims or equivalent? I tried searching on google, but did not find any specific dealer.

I enquired with the wolfrace guys from the UK. As mentioned above they are quoting 91K for shipment of the Alloys, additionally I would have to pay the Import duty on these Alloys separately which is approx. 10% of the original cost. So the whole package works out to over 1 Lakh ! And then again the Tyres and the charges for the fitments and the wheel alignment are going to be more. So I am looking at nothing less that about 1.2~1.3 Lakhs for the complete change over. IMO I think it's worth it, but I really don't want to take a chance on the Import Duty, cause if the Rims get stuck at Customs then I am definitely going to do a lot of running around to get them thru.
The alloy wheels that come stock on the Octavia are of fairly high quality.

You can get a decent set of 17" alloy wheels for under 50k and even though it is an up-size, it is also a downgrade in my humble opinion.

You can get O.Z. wheels in MH, but it will set you back a pretty packet.

I'd say, stick with the stock set of wheels and save the money for a better set of tyres and maybe a touch of powder-coat for the wheels instead.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 17:20   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The alloy wheels that come stock on the Octavia are of fairly high quality.

You can get a decent set of 17" alloy wheels for under 50k and even though it is an up-size, it is also a downgrade in my humble opinion.

You can get O.Z. wheels in MH, but it will set you back a pretty packet.

I'd say, stick with the stock set of wheels and save the money for a better set of tyres and maybe a touch of powder-coat for the wheels instead.
Suhaas why would you consider it a downgrade? Are you talking w.r.t comfort whilst driving the car? Or anything else in particular? I understand the warranty on the suspension won't stand good once I have custom alloys installed, that is not a concern for me.

Do you know of any dealer in Pune/ Mumbai who is an authorized dealer of Oz Rims? Price tags on the Rims isn't an issue per se.

Getting a coating on the alloys? IMO I don't think any Paint Shop/ Garage is going to give me a coating for the same that is going to be durable in the long run. I would prefer a long term option than a temporary job.
Old 6th March 2015, 12:02   #1463
BHPian

Folks, does Skoda cover the sunroof and the dsg gearbox under warranty? Have read in some forums that that could be an issue.

Am looking to pick up the 1.8 tsi elegance, but the sales guys are not giving too many details on what's covered and what's not.

Any help appreciated.
Old 6th March 2015, 12:26   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Folks, does Skoda cover the sunroof and the dsg gearbox under warranty? Have read in some forums that that could be an issue.
The DSG is definitely covered under warranty. I'm not sure about the sun roof though.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 00:39   #1465
BHPian

Guys, Have been asking several questions, and many of you have been great with answers. Have pretty much made up my mind for the 1.8 TSI DSG. Want to make the booking over the weekend (can get a silver in a week as someone else cancelled). Just one query... Are there any common issues with the Octavia that most buyers have seen? Currently own a Laura, and it had major AC issues. Have been reading bout issues with 're Octavia's DSG, AC, noisy ORVMs and sunroof. Which of these are true a nd common?
Old 7th March 2015, 09:38   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Have been asking several questions, and many of you have been great with answers. Have pretty much made up my mind for the 1.8 TSI DSG. Want to make the booking over the weekend (can get a silver in a week as someone else cancelled). Just one query... Are there any common issues with the Octavia that most buyers have seen? Currently own a Laura, and it had major AC issues. Have been reading bout issues with 're Octavia's DSG, AC, noisy ORVMs and sunroof. Which of these are true a nd common?
It has been a month since I have Octavia in my garage. I was also apprehensive and worried after booking my car on the issues that you mentioned!

Rattle from ORVM is not present in my car.... touch wood. No rattle from Sunroof also... Again touch wood. I guess Adi's problem with ORVM is also sorted out.

My limited experience with ac suggests that in auto mode fan speed feels inadequate particularly for rear passengers. This can be easily overcome by increasing the fan speed. No issues with cooling so far. Will wait and see how it performs in peak ahmedabad summer.

From my reading of numerous posts I can say that DSG issues are also sorted out both for petrol and diesel. They have introduced 7 speed DSG in Vento and Rapid also. That shows their confidence in the transmission.

Last edited by rutvij : 7th March 2015 at 09:41.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 10:07   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
From my reading of numerous posts I can say that DSG issues are also sorted out both for petrol and diesel. They have introduced 7 speed DSG in Vento and Rapid also. That shows their confidence in the transmission.
I remember reading in ACI few months back that VW has solved the DSG issues by changing the oil from synthetic to mineral. Past few months, we haven't heard about DSG issues anywhere so I guess ACI's report is indeed true.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 16:14   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karan, the Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance trim is awesome. I got delivery of mine back in October last year. And it has been quite a plesant experience since then. The only issues that I have faced till now are the Noisy ORVM's and the Sunroof! I intend getting those checked up this time I am back in India. Besides these two, nothing else.

Be sure you read the Car Manual carefully upon getting delivery, better still it is available on-line. Go through it, you will find there are loads of features which the car is loaded with, it will give you a better idea prior usage of the car.
Old 7th March 2015, 16:45   #1469
Senior - BHPian

I used the rim simulator tool on wolfrace.com, and found some pretty interesting options for you Artem. The first one is similar to the OEM VRS spec wheel:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-assassin_trs_wolfrace_eurosport_wheels-1.jpg

and the second one is similar to the OEM L&K trim wheel available in the UK models.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-lugano_wolfrace_gb_wheels.jpg

What do you think? Looks killer to me, but if I were in your place I would not get them shipped all the way here and risk the Customs dept. Should try other options like Vagtune who regularly import rims, or any other portal who is known to ship wheels successfully to India before.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 17:28   #1470
BHPian

Hey Adi,

Yeah exactly. I must have tried out atleast 20 different Rims on the car on the wolfrace website.

Like you mentioned, the First Image is pretty similar to the Alloys that are provided on the VRS model. Similar looking rims are being sold by saimagwheels as well, they are manufactured by HRS, Taiwan. I am not quite sure about the quality, thou they are very reasonably priced. (~9K)

Also, I dropped in an email to the guys at the wheelbasealloys website(They are dealers of Wolfrace alloys) asking them about the shipment and the Customs. They weren't quite sure about the Customs so decided not to Order them online from them. Quite frankly after spending about 90K on Rims, I personally wouldn't like the idea of going down to Mumbai and then dealing with the guys at the Customs. That's going to be one helluva task.

I was checking TSW & OZ Alloys. They seemed pretty awesome. Again they are gonna drill a big hole in my pocket for sure, but I am sure there isn't going to be a compromise on quality here. I am scouting around for Dealers who can provide me either of the Two Brands here in Pune. Do you have any info on the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks