Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 22:05   #1516
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

The Alacantra leather looks amazing, i love that center part in suede like fabric. My friends Q7 has it on the door pads and it feels so so good.
I am still not too sure about the black interior color vs the beige interior.
Old 11th March 2015, 22:13   #1517

The Alacantra black trim looks very nice and sporty. I am also working with my dealer to convert my TSI to Black Alacantra since my delivery is still few wks away. Does any one know of pro's and con's of Alacantra vs. Leather?
Old 11th March 2015, 22:16   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Well that's a mystery as to why we have to pay weird amounts. Even for the Jetta the amounts are fixed. Only variable price is applicable based on the time you take the extended warranty. I guess it becomes much more expensive near to the end of original warranty. There is a chart somewhere, if I can find I will post it. Many bhians and Jetta owners know this and will be able to concur.
Old 12th March 2015, 08:53   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueHP View Post
Thanks Adi! Excellent Kapil on your decision to convert your booking - love the black interiors and I am trying to get my 1.8 TSI converted as well to the Zeal edition Silver - hope my dealer helps. The Alacantra leather seats look very nice. What are the pro's and con's of Alacantra vs. Leather?
Alcantara leather has much better heat dissipation than the standard leather. Plus, black is black. To simplify, you wont have a sweaty back with alcantara leather vs the standard leather on a hot day.

Your dealer will definitely convert your booking. He cannot refuse.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 12:26   #1520
BHPian

1.8 TSI Owners,

I wanted to know from you what type of fuel you have been using. I have been filling the regular type and almost exclusively from Shell. It would be good to know if someone is using higher grades and their experience in terms of performance and economy.

I have done just over 2000Kms (30% Highway, 70% City). My current economy is around 11.8 Kmpl.
Old 12th March 2015, 14:40   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
1.8 TSI Owners,

I wanted to know from you what type of fuel you have been using. I have been filling the regular type and almost exclusively from Shell. It would be good to know if someone is using higher grades and their experience in terms of performance and economy.

I have done just over 2000Kms (30% Highway, 70% City). My current economy is around 11.8 Kmpl.

Make sure the Shell petrol doesn't have any additives in it. My car's fuel pump failed at 1000 kms and till then I was exclusively filling Shell petrol. I would suggest if you want good performance then use BP Speed 97. Otherwise pls stick to normal petrol from either Indian Oil or HP. In my experience, Indian oil petrol has been the best in terms of smoothness and mileage. But pls stay clear from 'xtra premium' or 'power' etc. Speed 97 is the only genuine 97 octane petrol and it really shows the difference. Try to check with your regular Shell bunk if they are adding any additives or solvents. There will be clear difference in the colour of the petrol. If there is any additive present, the colour will be light orange to yellow. And if it's pure petrol it will be clear orange. I am not an expert but I do check this one thing if trying a new bunk sometime. Otherwise I am sticking to Indian oil. Refer my car's thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144733 for details of the fuel pump failure.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 14:56   #1522

Finally got my own Octavia 1.8 TSI - and must thank this forum in helping me decide for this. It is truly a fantastic car (have driven 2000 kms on it already) and it drives like a hot knife cutting through butter.

Extremely smooth, powerful but stealth like quite. Its truly a drivers car. only grouse is that the steering does lack feedback - but then for an amazing steering, you will have to go to a classic rear-wheel BMW only!

Having bought the Petrol, I must say now that the Diesel is also a great buy and though this forum does influence a slight bias towards petrol but for anyone whose annual run is more than 20000 kms, Diesel will be a better option and worth the extra initial Expense. And Diesel is as much fun to drive and the Torque is stunning and makes up for the Silence and swiftness of the Petrol.

Got lucky and got the delivery in 2 days as a dealership had a cancellation. Super Fun to get a car instantly.

I havent driven it yet on the Sports Mode and will wait for 5000 kms to really test her Limits. Am getting an fuel consumption of 11.8 right now and drive on highway as well as city equally. Sun roof is super fun for the kids and the car - so far - has shown no defects whatsoever. Finish and Ride is german in every sense and would recommend this car to anyone.

Am an existing Skoda Yeti Owner and I feel these cars are amongst the best on Indian roads. though there is a lot of after sales grouse on this forum but I have had no issues with The Yeti in the last 3 years I have owned it and have had a great service from the Gurgaon Service Centre. I do hope that Skoda's efforts to focus more on this aspect do bear fruit.

Also, I got a call from the Dealer that 2 years extended Warranty on the Octavia has been released by Skoda now through Cholamandalam. It will cost about 21000/- for the 1.8 TSI which I feel is damn good. Will appreciate comments from others on this - regarding what all is covered and the pricing too.

I really welcome and long overdue move from Skoda!

Mod Note: please don't post back-to-back- use "edit" or "multi-quote" option instead. Please read our posting rules carefully before proceeding.

Last edited by noopster : 12th March 2015 at 15:52.
Old 12th March 2015, 16:14   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok1008 View Post
Finally got my own Octavia 1.8 TSI - and must thank this forum in helping me decide for this. It is truly a fantastic car (have driven 2000 kms on it already) and it drives like a hot knife cutting through butter.

Extremely smooth, powerful but stealth like quite. Its truly a drivers car. only grouse is that the steering does lack feedback - but then for an amazing steering, you will have to go to a classic rear-wheel BMW only!

Having bought the Petrol, I must say now that the Diesel is also a great buy and though this forum does influence a slight bias towards petrol but for anyone whose annual run is more than 20000 kms, Diesel will be a better option and worth the extra initial Expense. And Diesel is as much fun to drive and the Torque is stunning and makes up for the Silence and swiftness of the Petrol.

Got lucky and got the delivery in 2 days as a dealership had a cancellation. Super Fun to get a car instantly.

I havent driven it yet on the Sports Mode and will wait for 5000 kms to really test her Limits. Am getting an fuel consumption of 11.8 right now and drive on highway as well as city equally. Sun roof is super fun for the kids and the car - so far - has shown no defects whatsoever. Finish and Ride is german in every sense and would recommend this car to anyone.

Am an existing Skoda Yeti Owner and I feel these cars are amongst the best on Indian roads. though there is a lot of after sales grouse on this forum but I have had no issues with The Yeti in the last 3 years I have owned it and have had a great service from the Gurgaon Service Centre. I do hope that Skoda's efforts to focus more on this aspect do bear fruit.

Also, I got a call from the Dealer that 2 years extended Warranty on the Octavia has been released by Skoda now through Cholamandalam. It will cost about 21000/- for the 1.8 TSI which I feel is damn good. Will appreciate comments from others on this - regarding what all is covered and the pricing too.

I really welcome and long overdue move from Skoda!

Mod Note: please don't post back-to-back- use "edit" or "multi-quote" option instead. Please read our posting rules carefully before proceeding.
Congrats and all the very best with your new ride. A few pics would be welcome.

On the extended warranty, its funny that the Skoda warranty cost is around half the price of the Jetta, even though the Octavia is a pricier car. VW are asking for around 41-42k for 2 years extension.
Old 12th March 2015, 16:25   #1524
BHPian

Thanks for the response, Adi.

Shell has two variants in petrol. The "Regular Unleaded" and the other one I think is called "Super Unleaded" which is advertised as the one with additives. I fill the Regular and presumed that it has no additives.

Which variant were you filling in Shell before your breakdown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Make sure the Shell petrol doesn't have any additives in it. My car's fuel pump failed at 1000 kms and till then I was exclusively filling Shell petrol. I would suggest if you want good performance then use BP Speed 97. Otherwise pls stick to normal petrol from either Indian Oil or HP. In my experience, Indian oil petrol has been the best in terms of smoothness and mileage. But pls stay clear from 'xtra premium' or 'power' etc. Speed 97 is the only genuine 97 octane petrol and it really shows the difference. Try to check with your regular Shell bunk if they are adding any additives or solvents. There will be clear difference in the colour of the petrol. If there is any additive present, the colour will be light orange to yellow. And if it's pure petrol it will be clear orange. I am not an expert but I do check this one thing if trying a new bunk sometime. Otherwise I am sticking to Indian oil. Refer my car's thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144733 for details of the fuel pump failure.
Old 12th March 2015, 16:43   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response, Adi.

Shell has two variants in petrol. The "Regular Unleaded" and the other one I think is called "Super Unleaded" which is advertised as the one with additives. I fill the Regular and presumed that it has no additives.

Which variant were you filling in Shell before your breakdown?
I always used Shell regular, as at that time too it was being priced at slightly higher than other companies' fuels. I was also shocked that how did they give me a solvent based petrol when I always asked and paid for regular unleaded. When the workshop opened the fuel tank and cat-convertor to check the source of the problem for fuel pump failure, they drew a sample of the fuel and it was absolutely nothing like petrol. It was more like cooking oil, light yellow in colour rather than orange.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 17:31   #1526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1.8 TSI Owners,

A Laura TSI owner here . my TSI has run up 70,000 kms till date. When in Bangalore I've filled Shell Normal Unleaded about 90% of the time. A few times I've tanked up Shell Super for some highway runs thinking that the additives will clean up the injectors. Mileage and smoothness of both is the same and I felt absolutely no difference. Since my car goes out of Bangalore a lot I've also used normal unleaded petrol from BP and IOC. At times when I filled up in very small towns I've felt the engine to be a bit sluggish due to inferior quality/ adulertation etc.. But petrol from reputed BP and IOC have yielded the exact same results as Shell unleaded in terms of smoothness and FE.

A few times I've even tried Speed 97. Speed 97 is 97 octane with additives. It takes the ECU almost a tankful of speed 97 to recalibrate to the higher octane rating, meaning you will find no difference for the first tankful. Second tankful onwards you will wonder whether your car has had a barrel of Red Bull . I would love to fill up 97 all the time. But there are two problems I face : 1) The outlet that dispenses 97 is far off. 2) I keep travelling out of town often where 97 is unavailable. For the engine to extract the juice out of 97 , it needs to be on an exclusive 97 octane diet for an extended period.
Santoshbhat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 18:50   #1527

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Alcantara leather has much better heat dissipation than the standard leather. Plus, black is black. To simplify, you wont have a sweaty back with alcantara leather vs the standard leather on a hot day.

Your dealer will definitely convert your booking. He cannot refuse.
Thanks Kapil!

Good information here as well http://www.alcantara.com/en/index.do

Unfortunately though my car is at least 2+ wks away from delivery he is not confirming the conversion - I am hoping to be able to close this tomorrow. I wonder if there are any terms & conditions around booking cancellations or conversions...
Old 12th March 2015, 19:19   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
For the engine to extract the juice out of 97 , it needs to be on an exclusive 97 octane diet for an extended period.
Does mixing fuel types make a difference (negatively) to performance and engine longevity? Or would it be preferable to use just standard normal Indian Oil petrol?

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 13th March 2015 at 11:51. Reason: Trimming quote
Old 12th March 2015, 20:23   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Does mixing fuel types make a difference (negatively) to performance and engine longevity? Or would it be preferable to use just standard normal Indian Oil petrol?
Stick to standard petrol. I know for sure IOC sells 91 ROn as standard fuel as its BS IV compliant. You can get detailed info on their website.
Old 12th March 2015, 21:34   #1530
BHPian

Guys, I was going through the price list from the dealer and the Zeal editions are listed as Zeal My15. Does that mean these are the new my15 editions? So can we expect Mirror Link in them?

Rugrags! Can you check for this in your car please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks