Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 19:42   #1636
BHPian

I was considering the 1.8 TSi, but I understand the build quality is not up to par, with creaks, rattles, galore. Could you please share your personal experiences on how much of an issue this is, and how prevalent.

I specifically ask because the creaks & rattles really get to me, so don't think I can live with such a car, irrespective of that gem of an engine.
Old 8th April 2015, 22:17   #1637
BHPian

How to flicker the day time running lights as shown in the video by CARTOQ.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th April 2015 at 01:39. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 9th April 2015, 02:39   #1638
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay89 View Post
How to flicker the day time running lights as shown in the video by CARTOQ.
Am afraid its not a feature. The DRL though it appears to be lit continuously must actually be lit by pulses of light. If am not mistaken DRL LEDs are driven by DC and not AC current but they probably use some sort of pulsing circuit to save power/reduce intensity etc. The camera is probably shooting at a frame rate of 24/48/60 fps which means that it is exposing that many frames within a second. What becomes crucial then is the shutter speed that is compatible with this frame rate to capture the pulses of light whenever they are ON. The review video seems to have been shot in very bright sunlight so I assume they used a much faster shutter speed to avoid over-exposing the frames which meant that some of those frames caught the DRLs between pulses leading to the flicker. Am no expert either in automobiles or optics but this is what I think is happening.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 08:24   #1639
BHPian

I think you got it spot on.

LEDs use pulse width modulation to achieve various brightness levels since you cannot control it with current like filament bulbs.

when captured in a frame rate that is not aligned with the pulsing, these flickers appear in videos.

I also think that capturing at high frame rates and converting to low rates (youtube probably did 30fps) will amplify this effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Am afraid its not a feature. The DRL though it appears to be lit continuously must actually be lit by pulses of light. If am not mistaken DRL LEDs are driven by DC and not AC current but they probably use some sort of pulsing circuit to save power/reduce intensity etc. The camera is probably shooting at a frame rate of 24/48/60 fps which means that it is exposing that many frames within a second. What becomes crucial then is the shutter speed that is compatible with this frame rate to capture the pulses of light whenever they are ON. The review video seems to have been shot in very bright sunlight so I assume they used a much faster shutter speed to avoid over-exposing the frames which meant that some of those frames caught the DRLs between pulses leading to the flicker. Am no expert either in automobiles or optics but this is what I think is happening.
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 13:42   #1640
BHPian

Finally got my 1.8Tsi Zeal Edition yesterday. Absolutely lovely a car. Had tyres upgraded to Pirellis and will get some paint protection done this Saturday. Other than that, am absolutely thrilled about the performance of the car. Nice silent cabin and the black interiors truly bring the car into a much higher feel segment than the standard dual tone. Clicked a few shots for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-imag0597_1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-imag0595.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-imag0593.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-imag0598.jpg  

kapiljolly79 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 19:26   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Finally got my 1.8Tsi Zeal Edition yesterday.
Congratulations Kapil. Looks amazing. Am picking up my Rio Red TSI on Saturday morning. :-)
Old 9th April 2015, 22:03   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Congratulations Kapil. Looks amazing. Am picking up my Rio Red TSI on Saturday morning. :-)
Thats cool buddy. Welcome to the club. Great car.
Old 10th April 2015, 13:40   #1643
BHPian

Guys. Does anyone have an idea as to why these cars have imported batteries in them?
Old 10th April 2015, 16:19   #1644

Any tips of how much air to fill in my 1.8TSI? My use is only in city traffic (South Mumbai) with 2 to 4 passengers. I know the recommended pressure is 33 but just wanted to know what general advice is...
Old 10th April 2015, 16:20   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Guys. Does anyone have an idea as to why these cars have imported batteries in them?
IIRC, the Fabia used to come with tyres that were of some unheard brands (imported).

Last edited by petroguzzler : 10th April 2015 at 16:22.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:28   #1646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjain View Post
Any tips of how much air to fill in my 1.8TSI? My use is only in city traffic (South Mumbai) with 2 to 4 passengers. I know the recommended pressure is 33 but just wanted to know what general advice is...
30psi will give you better ride quality. If you are taking a drive outside the city, do fill it up to 32-34 depending on how many passengers are going to be there.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 16:28   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
IIRC, the Fabia used to come with tyres that were of some unheard brands (imported).
Understandable for early batch of cars. however the new octy now has been here quite a while. Strange as to why the battery is still imported. Not that it really matters but just wanted to know if anyone had a clue as to why.
Old 10th April 2015, 17:37   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Lubrication will only work for a couple of months i am sure. Thats a good excuse they gave you. But how do they justify it from day one of ownership in my case? Only two people are good to talk to at their workshop. One is Mr. Jitendra and second is Mr. Pratik Sharma who is the head of service there. Jitendra is the oldest and experienced in Skoda so he knows most of the times what he's talking about. Pratik is a friendly man and very helpful.

The noise in the ORVM has cropped up yet in your car? It has come back in my car after exactly 15 days when it was 'rectified' by them. They have surrendered to the problem and don't know what else to do. If its not cropping up in newer cars, i shall ask for a warranty replacement.
I have been talking to a guy called Jagdish. He seemed to be second in charge. In fact it had exactly been 2 months since I got the car. Let me see for how long it holds good. How has been your experience? Does it require visits every 2 months.

I have a feeling that the noise might be because of improper closing and opening of sun wiser under the sunroof. Rattle certainly comes from the back side of sun roof. Pictures of Skoda job sheets used as packing also suggests that.

Fortunately I have not experienced noise from ORVM. In your case you must demand replacement under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
I was considering the 1.8 TSi, but I understand the build quality is not up to par, with creaks, rattles, galore. Could you please share your personal experiences on how much of an issue this is, and how prevalent.

I specifically ask because the creaks & rattles really get to me, so don't think I can live with such a car, irrespective of that gem of an engine.
The problem is more with the service stations and how sincere they are to customer's problems. Rattles can occur in any car. I have myself visited service station for my Jazz 3-4 times to rectify rattle that was coming from the parcel tray. Similarly I am experiencing rattle from front right side of my Innova since I bought the car. It got solved for a brief period only and again came back. It requires opening of the whole dash to rectify it. I didn't want my dash to get opened at every service and I have learnt to live with it. Skoda is certainly not know for great service experiences but they have a great product in Octavia and you don't have many choices in this segment.

Quote:
Finally got my 1.8Tsi Zeal Edition yesterday. Absolutely lovely a car. Had tyres upgraded to Pirellis and will get some paint protection done this Saturday. Other than that, am absolutely thrilled about the performance of the car. Nice silent cabin and the black interiors truly bring the car into a much higher feel segment than the standard dual tone. Clicked a few shots for now.
Welcome to the club and heartiest Congratulations. Black interiors really look classy!
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 19:35   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
The problem is more with the service stations and how sincere they are to customer's problems. Rattles can occur in any car. I have myself visited service station for my Jazz 3-4 times to rectify rattle that was coming from the parcel tray. Similarly I am experiencing rattle from front right side of my Innova since I bought the car. It got solved for a brief period only and again came back. It requires opening of the whole dash to rectify it. I didn't want my dash to get opened at every service and I have learnt to live with it. Skoda is certainly not know for great service experiences but they have a great product in Octavia and you don't have many choices in this segment.
You kind of supported my point - these rattles / creaks never really go away, if they're there. Now, these are cars where these may be the exception, but mostly, one knows what to expect - for example, on Ventos/Polos, you know you're likely to get door creaks, but otherwise it's a dead quiet cabin (personal experience) and you know that door creaks simply mean an annual visit to the workshop where they'll fix it.

A dashboard creak on the other hand, is pretty much unfixable - as you mentioned, you do not want a service station messing with it.

So, just trying to get that sense from the Octavia community here - it seems to me, way too many people are experience these on Octavias, and if that's the case, with a heavy heart, a Jetta probably makes more sense, though that means a diesel engine instead of that brilliant TSI.

Quote:
Finally got my 1.8Tsi Zeal Edition yesterday. Nice silent cabin and the black interiors truly bring the car into a much higher feel segment than the standard dual tone. Clicked a few shots for now.
Congratulations on the car! The interior looks amazing. Could you possibly add a few more pictures of the interiors, including the door panels and the dashboard.

Now if only they start giving these interiors on Race Blue cars too
Old 10th April 2015, 21:40   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Congratulations on the car! The interior looks amazing. Could you possibly add a few more pictures of the interiors, including the door panels and the dashboard.

Now if only they start giving these interiors on Race Blue cars too
Here you go. The TSI logo is an after thought I had to personalize my car. So stuck those on either side.

The Flash resulted in a slight blue tone in one of the pics. Be rest assured, its all black and black is good. The wood trim I beleive is same as on the other trim. Looks darker in this setup. I dont know how to say this but trust me, it is a different car altogether with the color change inside. You must go see one in person and compare the dual tone. You will get what im saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc00282.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc00283.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc00285.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc00284.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc00280.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks