Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2015, 23:51   #1711
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since it is a TSI you can consider 225/50 R16 which will give you loads of extra grip, and make the steering a little heavier with better feel. I think Primacy 3ST is available in that size, so that is what you should get.
Thanks Akshay. Is there any impact of changing the tyre specs on the performance of the other aspects like odometer readings etc?
Old 3rd May 2015, 23:54   #1712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Thanks Akshay. Is there any impact of changing the tyre specs on the performance of the other aspects like odometer readings etc?
225/50 R16 is the perfect upsize, actually some 0.08% difference, which is negligible. You will have much better grip when you put your foot down, instead of traction control coming on. Braking will feel significantly improved. Due to more rolling resistance, mileage may come down, again I don't think it will be noticeable.
Old 4th May 2015, 06:36   #1713

Anyone with the Octavia Active Tdi MT here, feeling the car stalls easily in first and second gears? Or is it just me.

I feel the Vento Tdi has a much better anti-stall engine map. Stalling the Vento is quite difficult.
Old 4th May 2015, 10:22   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
225/50 R16 is the perfect upsize, actually some 0.08% difference, which is negligible. You will have much better grip when you put your foot down, instead of traction control coming on. Braking will feel significantly improved. Due to more rolling resistance, mileage may come down, again I don't think it will be noticeable.
Thanks again Akshay. Last question. Is the 215/55/16 a good upgrade? I see just a Michelin tyre with 225/50/16 online so am unsure of ready availability. In case that's not there, what would be the next best upgrade?
Old 4th May 2015, 10:31   #1715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanFarhan View Post
Anyone with the Octavia Active Tdi MT here, feeling the car stalls easily in first and second gears? Or is it just me.

I feel the Vento Tdi has a much better anti-stall engine map. Stalling the Vento is quite difficult.
Its more to do with the clutch, and is an inherent property of the Skodas and VWs sold here like the Octavia, Yeti, Jetta. You will notice that the Ventos clutch is heavier. Don't worry though, once you get the hang of it there are no issues whatsoever.

Quote:
Thanks again Akshay. Last question. Is the 215/55/16 a good upgrade? I see just a Michelin tyre with 225/50/16 online so am unsure of ready availability. In case that's not there, what would be the next best upgrade?
Those are the PS3s, which are great tyres. If you are going to push the car there is no better tire than the PS3s. Though do check with your tyre dealer to see if they have something else in that size. 215/55 will have a slight difference on the odo readings, but not too much. I would suggest you try and get something in 225/50 itself, and as a worst case scenario get 215/55.
Old 4th May 2015, 11:04   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Those are the PS3s, which are great tyres. If you are going to push the car there is no better tire than the PS3s.
I was also thinking of going in for the PS3, but someone mentioned that they feel very iffy compared to the S-Drives, in terms of grip, handling, and feel - which, given the Michelin reputation, sounded strange to me. I was wondering if you had any experience with the two.

S-Drives are a somewhat lower level choice for me, considering their noise level, and the fact that I do quite a bit of highway driving, but if grip is a serious concern, maybe I should compromise on noise levels.
Old 4th May 2015, 11:09   #1717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
I was also thinking of going in for the PS3, but someone mentioned that they feel very iffy compared to the S-Drives, in terms of grip, handling, and feel - which, given the Michelin reputation, sounded strange to me. I was wondering if you had any experience with the two.

S-Drives are a somewhat lower level choice for me, considering their noise level, and the fact that I do quite a bit of highway driving, but if grip is a serious concern, maybe I should compromise on noise levels.
Sorry to say, but the S-Drives are a notch below the Michelins in terms of grip, comfort and noise. There is simply no comparison. S-Drives are like budget tyres compared to the PS3s. I've used both enough to know.

Avoid S-Drives, they get very noisy and make the ride stiff after 7-8k kms.

EDIT - The person saying that may have confused the PS3s (pilot sport 3) for the P3ST (primacy 3 st) which are comfort oriented tyres.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 4th May 2015 at 11:10.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 11:22   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to say, but the S-Drives are a notch below the Michelins in terms of grip, comfort and noise. There is simply no comparison. S-Drives are like budget tyres compared to the PS3s. I've used both enough to know.

Avoid S-Drives, they get very noisy and make the ride stiff after 7-8k kms.

EDIT - The person saying that may have confused the PS3s (pilot sport 3) for the P3ST (primacy 3 st) which are comfort oriented tyres.
Thanks for your feedback! And am sure you're right about the confusion between the two; was quite surprised, considering the S-Drives reputation on http://tyrereviews.co.uk

On a separate note, do you also have experience with the P3ST? My Vento 1.6 TDI will also needs a tyre change soon, and I don't think PS3s are available for it (or, if the power even warrants it). Do you think the P3ST are a better bet for it, than the S-Drives?
Old 4th May 2015, 12:03   #1719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
On a separate note, do you also have experience with the P3ST? My Vento 1.6 TDI will also needs a tyre change soon, and I don't think PS3s are available for it (or, if the power even warrants it). Do you think the P3ST are a better bet for it, than the S-Drives?
I changed the Goodyears of my Jetta to P3STs. Have been very happy with the performance. They are silent, grippy and give lots of confidence in those fast corners. It has been about 16K kms and they are - touchwood - going good so far. I would any day recommend them. I dont have any experience with the S-Drives for a comparison though.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 12:28   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Those are the PS3s, which are great tyres. If you are going to push the car there is no better tire than the PS3s. Though do check with your tyre dealer to see if they have something else in that size. 215/55 will have a slight difference on the odo readings, but not too much. I would suggest you try and get something in 225/50 itself, and as a worst case scenario get 215/55.
I doubt I will be pushing the car too much... primary factors for me are comfort, no noise and longevity. Will maybe push it once in a while - few and far between. Would you still recommend the PS3s?
Old 4th May 2015, 12:51   #1721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I doubt I will be pushing the car too much... primary factors for me are comfort, no noise and longevity. Will maybe push it once in a while - few and far between. Would you still recommend the PS3s?
Then stick to the stock size and upgrade to P3STs, they will get the job done for you.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 14:01   #1722
Senior - BHPian

I am a novice on this topic. Does this look like it has any more life left? Till date the do reads at 37000 odd kms.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_7880.jpg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_7881.jpg

I drive 95% on highways, and cannot compromise with loss in grip. Contemplating an upgrade to PS3 225/50/16. I doubt if the rim will be able to accommodate the tyre.
Old 4th May 2015, 14:24   #1723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I am a novice on this topic. Does this look like it has any more life left? Till date the do reads at 37000 odd kms.
That triangle in the photos mark the location of tread wear indicators. Near this area, you should see rubber bars in the grooves. If these bars are flush with the tire surface, then they need replacement. From the photos, these wear indicator bars are not visible.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 14:29   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

I drive 95% on highways, and cannot compromise with loss in grip. Contemplating an upgrade to PS3 225/50/16. I doubt if the rim will be able to accommodate the tyre.
I have used NCT 5 extensively on my Corolla earlier and your tyres look too good for 37000 kms, looks like they have another 10000 kms easily left in them, without compromising on grip. I used them until 42000 kms and they were comparatively better than Mich PLC at 42000 kms reading. They never lost any grip for sure, and I am speaking from my experience with Goodyear from GPS2 days. Incidentally even my E280 CDI was wearing these and had worn out more than your tyres at 35000 kms, obviously since the power, torque and weight of the car was altogether in a different league. But on my Corolla I used them hard, these can take hard acceleration. I suggest you use them for another 8-10000 kms.

But I will never buy these simply because the Pirelli P7 on my E280 CDI are in a different league altogether. The rubber just sticks to the road, IMO the Mich P3ST is not comparable, may be PS3 is.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 14:46   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
On my Corolla I used them hard, these can take hard acceleration. I suggest you use them for another 8-10000 kms.
The problem I am facing is not in braking, but in hard acceleration. It spins a lot more than what it should, not only on wet or sandy surfaces, but on proper roads as well. Since its front wheel drive, and I do take the car to its limits at times, off the line acceleration is affected. I also feel bumpiness on speeds above 100 km/h, I crossed 120 km/h for an overtake manoeuvre only for 10 seconds or so, and I could feel the tyres judder. I haven't had any punctures on the tyres yet. The life is definitely much to talk about though. Noise levels are average, not something that is intrusive in any manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That triangle in the photos mark the location of tread wear indicators. Near this area, you should see rubber bars in the grooves. If these bars are flush with the tire surface, then they need replacement. From the photos, these wear indicator bars are not visible.
I will check closely again and look for the tyre wear indicator bars. Thanks for the tip!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks