Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 17:27   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Ok. I have a few pics I took on a drive out on the highway recently. The car performed flawlessly and returned exceptional fuel economy. Keep an eye on the fuel guage too because the kms kept lapping up and generally I get much lower readings in city with a similar reading from the fuel guage. Topped up once I got back and averaged an actual 15.7kmpl. Not bad at all for the 1.8 tsi. Average km/h readout from the car was 43km/h. City average readouts are 24 to 27 km/h and averages about 10 to 11.5kmpl.

Had I stayed on the highway till I emptied out the tank, I presume I would be able to juice out 17kmpl for sure. But i still think thats good for a petrol engine of this tune and power.
Good? Those are bl**y remarkable figures for a 180PS/ 250NM/ Automatic petrol car!. I am surprised how reported fuel economy figures for the Octavia 1.8 TSI is much better than what Laura TSI owners reported. Sure I've seen avg figures of upto 17.00 kp/l, on my Laura TSI. But that's only when I drove it like a miser, specifically to see how high the FE can go. Its really amazing to see that a car, with an AT box, is able to beat the MT car with nearly same engine in fuel efficiency. Shows how perfectly that 7 speed DSG box is mated with the engine. Heck its hard to eek out 16 kpl even from the Polo GT TSI which sports the same gear box with a much smaller engine.

That 1.8 TSI is a very special engine.
VW, are you listening? We need more cars with this engine option!!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th May 2015 at 17:29.
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 18:06   #1787
BHPian

So u had an unfortunate incident yesterday. The car refused to crank. Called up the service center and they suggested calling the Bajaj insurance guys who have roadside assistance. Since the car was at home it felt weird but called them nonetheless and within 45mins the guys came and jumpstarted the car. Drove around a bit and it worked fine. After an hour of the car being parked the same issue happened again and I had to repeat the procedure except this time round I got my driver to take it to the service center instead.
Diagnosed with a battery failure and they have given a standby unit till the time the ordered battery comes in.
The car is driving fine now so I guess the battery getting discharged was a one off issue of a faulty battery.
The only repercussion of this episode is that the auto up/down feature of the window glass isn't working anymore.
Old 28th May 2015, 19:15   #1788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
The only repercussion of this episode is that the auto up/down feature of the window glass isn't working anymore.
That is easy enough to reset. For each window just pull and push the switch to the 2nd point (where normally the auto up down kicks in), and keep it held there till the window goes totally down, and then totally up. That will reset the system, and it should start working.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 14:44   #1789
BHPian

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-image.jpg

Is there a last date for getting the extended warranty or is Marikar trying to scam its customers?

I just called them up and they said they received a circular which says the warranty can be extended till May end.

Can any of you please verify this from a different dealer? Thanks in advance.
Old 30th May 2015, 15:17   #1790
BHPian

Octavia in Summer Heat:

We all are experiencing extreme heat in the range of mid 40's at present. Octavia has been coping up well with the heat. Air Conditioning is working very well in cooling the cabin in couple of minutes. On several occasions the car was lying open under the sun in extreme heat and on those occasions also the cabin temperature was comfortable in 3-4 minutes. I normally set the temperature @ 23 degrees.

I was apprehensive about transparent and thin sun visor under the sun roof. However there are no issues of penetrating sun light coming through the sun roof.

Windows auto down facility by holding up the remote before you enter the car is a very good feature. It helps in getting rid of hot air trapped in the car cabin. However here there are only two options - you can open only driver's window or all windows including sun roof. Here it would have been nice to have third option of opening all the windows excluding sun roof.

I have noticed one more irritant. Every time I unlock the car, ORVMS also open up as I keep them in auto mode. This becomes an irritant because I might have opened the car to take some stuff out or put some stuff in. Is there any way to change setting so that ORVMS open only when ignition is turned on?
Old 30th May 2015, 18:56   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Octavia in Summer Heat:

I have noticed one more irritant. Every time I unlock the car, ORVMS also open up as I keep them in auto mode. This becomes an irritant because I might have opened the car to take some stuff out or put some stuff in. Is there any way to change setting so that ORVMS open only when ignition is turned on?
Did they change it recently? In mine(TDI) it opens the orvms only when ignition is on and i don't remember any settings for this. Only setting wrt to orvms are fold when parked, sync adjustment and dip on reverse.
If this is not possible via settings may be this can be changed via VCDS.
Old 1st June 2015, 01:32   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That is easy enough to reset. For each window just pull and push the switch to the 2nd point (where normally the auto up down kicks in), and keep it held there till the window goes totally down, and then totally up. That will reset the system, and it should start working.

Thanks for the info. Tried it though with no luck. Going to show it to the workshop tomorrow. I'm sure I'm not doing something right.

In other news I'm suddenly feeling the car to be acting very sluggish. The acceleration is fine but while coasting the car is dropping speed way faster the engine is sounding more gruff and the air conditioner blower is making way more noise with a very reduced air flow. Guess the heat and the dust have affected the filters. Will get it checked soon.
Old 1st June 2015, 09:42   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
Thanks for the replies. I checked with Tafe and they said the Zeal was limited and sold out. However they do have the Yeti and Superb in stock (Zeal). Maybe members from other cities can shine some light.
Would have loved the black interior trim and seats but it also creates a darker boring environment so its time to move from a black interior Fabia to a beige and black Octavia hopefully.

But what about the sunroof is it a design flaw? The mirrors making noise and a list of flaws that members have experienced (I would have loved the proven 6 speed DSG) this is more an experimental box that will move to other cars after being tested by us?
Does the A3 petrol have the same DSG as 1.8 TSi?
Does it consume a whole tank of oil in the first 1000 kms, does one need to top of oil if the car is taken for a long trip in its initial days.

Thank you all.
Yes, sadly, its true. My sales guy called me on Sunday and said, "Sir, apki news thik thi. Humare RM ne bola hai the stocks are over, but somehow managed to squeeze through your Octavia TSi"

So, my Octavia is coming and will be receiving its delivery anytime this month.
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:48   #1794
BHPian

So the skoda service guys strike again. In my earlier post uv mentioned how my battery went kaput and uv been facing issues like sluggish engine, no air flow from the ac and the auto up down of windows not working.
Took the car to the service center and on informing them of the issues I'm very calmly informed that the backup battery installed is one from a fabia and hence the issues are there. Once they get the right battery installed everything will be one again. On me stating that I should at least have been informed and what if something else goes wrong I'm very condescendingly told that atleast we have the car working now and you're being able to use it. Like really!!
I've ditched driving the car till the time the battery arrives to which query they had no idea and are still get back to me and I've sent out a mail to the customer care though i doubt any response to come from that end.
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:12   #1795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the skoda service guys strike again. In my earlier post uv mentioned how my battery went kaput and uv been facing issues like sluggish engine, no air flow from the ac and the auto up down of windows not working.
Took the car to the service center and on informing them of the issues I'm very calmly informed that the backup battery installed is one from a fabia and hence the issues are there. Once they get the right battery installed everything will be one again. On me stating that I should at least have been informed and what if something else goes wrong I'm very condescendingly told that atleast we have the car working now and you're being able to use it. Like really!!
I've ditched driving the car till the time the battery arrives to which query they had no idea and are still get back to me and I've sent out a mail to the customer care though i doubt any response to come from that end.
Check the rating of the battery, and use a site like batterybhai and order a new one. Forget waiting for the workshop. Especially if they are behaving like this. Also please do send in a mail to Skoda India, since I'm sure this is not a good practice, and the workshop needs to be held accountable in case anything were to go wrong.

EDIT - Just realized they may be replacing it under warranty, since yours seems to be a new car. Still write in a letter to Skoda India, to inform them of their dealers practices.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 2nd June 2015 at 16:15.
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:16   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
I've sent out a mail to the customer care though i doubt any response to come from that end.
Get back at them on facebook, Skoda India official. They are pretty active there when it comes to face-saving gestures.
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:44   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Did they change it recently? In mine(TDI) it opens the orvms only when ignition is on and i don't remember any settings for this. Only setting wrt to orvms are fold when parked, sync adjustment and dip on reverse.
If this is not possible via settings may be this can be changed via VCDS.
I don't know how to change it via VCDS. I will talk to the service guy at my next visit. If your's is opening after you turn on the ignition key then may be they forgot to set it right at the time of PDI of my car.

Quote:
In other news I'm suddenly feeling the car to be acting very sluggish. The acceleration is fine but while coasting the car is dropping speed way faster the engine is sounding more gruff and the air conditioner blower is making way more noise with a very reduced air flow. Guess the heat and the dust have affected the filters. Will get it checked soon.
I doubt whether actually problems that you narrated relate to the battery? Have you tried searching this on net?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd June 2015 at 14:34. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:25   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Music related query

Has anyone added/modified the standard Bolero sound system in the Octavia?

I am asking besides the Dynavin upgrades many have done. Anyone has bought and installed a genuine OEM Columbus or Amundsen unit?

I find the sound quality very average, and the volume is not loud enough for me when playing music on SDCard or Bluetooth device. I tried all possible settings but just can't see what more can be done.

I am wanting to increase bass, and loudness of music. Will fitting an active subwoofer help?

Which is the best way to listen to music in the Bolero system?
1) Aux (adaptor needed)
2) MDI for USB drive, not iPod.
3) SDCard
4) proper iPod connecter?
5) CD
6) Bluetooth device (I am using an iPhone)
Old 4th June 2015, 10:34   #1799

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
When I swapped the lights, i got errors because LED but the tail light was working in the format of regular halogen pattern. So that change in coding was possible by ODIS but my dealer didn't know anything about it. I ended up shooting a mail to Vagcode.ru. What brilliantly helpful guys, specially Andrey and Loki, i think they're the same but extremely helpful! They emailed me the complete list of channels which were needed to be modified and I took my laptop to the service center to do it. I used VCDS only not ODIS. All options were available to be changed. Took me an hour or so of changing different values. Mainly to change the bulb type to LED and setting dimmvert values to '0'. For example the rear fog lights were at dimmvert value 16 or 19 so that was set to '0'.
Hi Adi,
Even i got my rear taillights swapped at the workshop. Unfortunately i am getting the a rear lights failure warning in the mfd. I do have the vcds cable and i have made a few other adaptations from the briskskoda forum. It would be of great help if you could share the vcds adaptations that you have used for the rear led lights.
Old 4th June 2015, 13:11   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Hi
You need to change adaptation channels in 09 bcm module by VCDS (security access code 31347):

[VO]_Leuchte20BR LA71:
[LO]_Lasttyp 20: [VO]_34 - LED Bremsleuchten
[LO]_Lampendefektbitposition 20: 9
[LO]_Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 20: 39
[LO]_Lichtfunktion A 20: [VO]_Bremslicht
[LO]_Lichtfunktion B 20: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert AB 20: 100
[LO]_Lichtansteuerung HD AB 20: [VO]_always
[LO]_Lichtfunktion C 20: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 20: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert CD 20: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction CD 20: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion E 20: [VO]_Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion F 20: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert EF 20: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction EF 20: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion G 20: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion H 20: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert GH 20: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction GH 20: [VO]_maximize

[VO]_Leuchte21BR RC8:
[LO]_Lasttyp 21: [VO]_34 - LED Bremsleuchten
[LO]_Lampendefektbitposition 21: 19
[LO]_Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 21: 3A
[LO]_Lichtfunktion A 21: [VO]_Bremslicht
[LO]_Lichtfunktion B 21: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert AB 21: 100
[LO]_Lichtansteuerung HD AB 21: [VO]_always
[LO]_Lichtfunktion C 21: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 21: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert CD 21: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction CD 21: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion E 21: [VO]_Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion F 21: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert EF 21: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction EF 21: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion G 21: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion H 21: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert GH 21: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction GH 21: [VO]_maximize

[VO]_Leuchte23SL HLC10:
[LO]_Lasttyp 23: [VO]_32 - allgemeine LED bis 12W
[LO]_Lampendefektbitposition 23: A
[LO]_Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 23: 29
[LO]_Lichtfunktion A 23: [VO]_Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht, Positionslicht, Begrenzungslicht)
[LO]_Lichtfunktion B 23: [VO]_Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)
[LO]_Dimmwert AB 23: 100
[LO]_Lichtansteuerung HD AB 23: [VO]_always
[LO]_Lichtfunktion C 23: [VO]_Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 23: [VO]_Tagfahrlicht
[LO]_Dimmwert CD 23: 100
[LO]_Dimming Direction CD 23: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion E 23: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion F 23: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert EF 23: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction EF 23: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion G 23: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion H 23: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert GH 23: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction GH 23: [VO]_maximize

[VO]_Leuchte24SL HRA65:
[LO]_Lasttyp 24: [VO]_32 - allgemeine LED bis 12W
[LO]_Lampendefektbitposition 24: 1A
[LO]_Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 24: 2A
[LO]_Lichtfunktion A 24: [VO]_Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht, Positionslicht, Begrenzungslicht)
[LO]_Lichtfunktion B 24: [VO]_Parklicht rechts
[LO]_Dimmwert AB 24: 100
[LO]_Lichtansteuerung HD AB 24: [VO]_always
[LO]_Lichtfunktion C 24: [VO]_Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 24: [VO]_Tagfahrlicht
[LO]_Dimmwert CD 24: 100
[LO]_Dimming Direction CD 24: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion E 24: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion F 24: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert EF 24: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction EF 24: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion G 24: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion H 24: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert GH 24: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction GH 24: [VO]_maximize

VO]_Leuchte26NSL LA72:
[LO]_Lasttyp 26: [VO]_9 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W, auch H15
[LO]_Lampendefektbitposition 26: C
[LO]_Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 26: 2E
[LO]_Lichtfunktion A 26: [VO]_Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt und Rechtsverkehr
[LO]_Lichtfunktion B 26: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert AB 26: 100
[LO]_Lichtansteuerung HD AB 26: [VO]_always
[LO]_Lichtfunktion C 26: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 26: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert CD 26: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction CD 26: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion E 26: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion F 26: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert EF 26: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction EF 26: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion G 26: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion H 26: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert GH 26: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction GH 26: [VO]_maximize

[VO]_Leuchte27NSL RC6:
[LO]_Lasttyp 27: [VO]_9 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W, auch H15
[LO]_Lampendefektbitposition 27: 1C
[LO]_Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 27: 2F
[LO]_Lichtfunktion A 27: [VO]_Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt und Rechtsverkehr
[LO]_Lichtfunktion B 27: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert AB 27: 100
[LO]_Lichtansteuerung HD AB 27: [VO]_always
[LO]_Lichtfunktion C 27: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 27: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert CD 27: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction CD 27: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion E 27: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion F 27: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert EF 27: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction EF 27: [VO]_maximize
[LO]_Lichtfunktion G 27: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Lichtfunktion H 27: [VO]_nicht aktiv
[LO]_Dimmwert GH 27: 0
[LO]_Dimming Direction GH 27: [VO]_maximize

After all this, your errors will go off. But the rear fog lights will not work. For activating them follow Andyvee's thread on briskoda.net.
You might need to translate a few channels in google translate, as the option in the VCDS will be in English but the same here is in German. If I remember correctly, it was the channel to turn on the tail light with DRLs.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 4th June 2015 at 13:23. Reason: lot of formatting was off. added additional information.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed