Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 01:00   #2086
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Thank you so much guys. How much have you guys been paying for the second year insurance and which company, if you don't mind disclosing? I have another month, so I intend to get a quote from the dealer as well as online and compare and choose the best. I agree with @adi_petrolhead that cashless and something the dealer is comfortable with, would probably give more peace especially if the difference is less than 5% which is usually the case.
Old 28th February 2016, 23:18   #2087
BHPian

1.8tsi. Zeal edition. Done 22140 kms. Will be one year this April. So far so good. Just had an ac coil changed as it was powdering.
Old 1st March 2016, 15:59   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
TDI DSG Elegance- 2014 model-
Also, who all have purchased the Extended warranty? I am being offered one for my car via their tieup with Cholamandlam for 33k! Should I go for it?
That's weird. I'v been issued an extended warranty certificate by skoda itself and the 2 year validity ew cost me Rs.22241 including service tax. Please note mine is an elegance diesel and the date of the certificate is for the 31st march 2015 because that's when i got it done.

Also there is no mention of bajaj or cholamandlam etc in the certificate and its been sent from their official website i.e. info@skodaew.in via mail on my registered mail id and a physical certificate has been provided by the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
At exactly 24 months the original VARTA battery in my TDI Octy dies without any warning. Surprised to see that it was a 60 AH one.

Now should I go for 74AH or stick to the OE specs? The back battery cover will only fit the 60AH.
My battery died in about a year and a half but was replaced free of cost by the dealer.
The only reason for followup required was since the alternate battery which they put because the octavia battery wasn't in stock was that of a fabia and two days later when i continually noticed a drop in performance of the ac blower along with a drop in engine performance was i told that they are waiting for the battery to come hence had given an alternate for the time being albeit they forgot to inform me about it. :dead horse
A quick mail sorted it out though and the battery was expressly called for the next day and on installing a lot of faults were reset which had arisen due to lower voltage of the fabia battery including resetting of the auto up down of the windows.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st March 2016 at 17:44. Reason: Please use the QUOTE+ Function within 30 minutes instead of posting consecutively. thanks
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 16:46   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
That's weird. I'v been issued an extended warranty certificate by skoda itself and the 2 year validity ew cost me Rs.22241 including service tax. Please note mine is an elegance diesel and the date of the certificate is for the 31st march 2015 because that's when i got it done.

Also there is no mention of bajaj or cholamandlam etc in the certificate and its been sent from their official website i.e. info@skodaew.in via mail on my registered mail id and a physical certificate has been provided by the dealer.
Thanks for replying. After how many months of purchase did you take this extended warranty? The thing is when I had bought the car, the warranty wasn't available. It was launched at a later date. When I enquired about it at 2nd service (after one year of purchase), I was given the above quote of 33k. I think this is with respect to after how much time gap we purchase the extended warranty after the vehicle purchase. In my case since its more than 1 year, they are charging extra. I tried to explain them the same that why should I pay so much when I wasn't even told about the extended warranty when it came out, but they simply declined my request. Still haven't purchased it though. Have time till July. Will be buying it soon. I don't think there's any other option.

Last edited by shreyak_ss : 1st March 2016 at 16:47.
Old 1st March 2016, 19:35   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Thanks for replying. After how many months of purchase did you take this extended warranty? The thing is when I had bought the car, the warranty wasn't available. It was launched at a later date. When I enquired about it at 2nd service (after one year of purchase), I was given the above quote of 33k. I think this is with respect to after how much time gap we purchase the extended warranty after the vehicle purchase. In my case since its more than 1 year, they are charging extra. I tried to explain them the same that why should I pay so much when I wasn't even told about the extended warranty when it came out, but they simply declined my request. Still haven't purchased it though. Have time till July. Will be buying it soon. I don't think there's any other option.

I bought the warranty after a year myself. My car is a March 2014 billed car. So it was infact exactly a year later. As I told you it's not a tie up and I think you should contact the customer care im sure they'll direct the dealership to address your concern. The rate has nothing to do with how close it is to expiry since this is a company specified programme.

I
Old 1st March 2016, 20:31   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Anyone called by their dealers for a complimentary campaign replacement of cabin/AC filter? It is VIN specific and not necessarily all of you out there will be called. Largely it's the 2013-2014 lot is what I understand. The dealer said it's a new type of membrane as it helps to curtail the issue of AC coil powdering/failures.
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:37   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Anyone called by their dealers for a complimentary campaign replacement of cabin/AC filter? It is VIN specific and not necessarily all of you out there will be called. Largely it's the 2013-2014 lot is what I understand. The dealer said it's a new type of membrane as it helps to curtail the issue of AC coil powdering/failures.
Not aware of this. Mine is a July 2014 car and I haven't received any call. Also, the dealer from which I had purchased it has shut shop. So I don't get any updates from any dealer except service reminders from the other service center. Will check with them only and post back.
Old 4th March 2016, 13:58   #2093

My Octavia 2.0 TDI with around 14,000 Kms on the Odometer and bought in June 2014 refused to start in the morning after being parked overnight. Battery seemed fine since horn, headlights, power windows all were working fine. Engine was cranking but not starting.

All the warning lights were blinking when cranking, but only the Exhaust Inspection System warning light stayed on when the key was turned to the On position.

I called the Skoda roadside assistance number and they asked me about the horn, headlights, power windows and since it did not sound like a battery problem they said they will get the vehicle towed.

The car was taken on a flatbed to the dealer and the service advisor reported that it could be the battery so they will charge for 6 hours and check and also that the coolant was low. I requested them to check with a standby battery and let me know, but it sounds like they are busy.

Any advice?
Old 4th March 2016, 14:39   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
All the warning lights were blinking when cranking, but only the Exhaust Inspection System warning light stayed on when the key was turned to the On position.
This is most probably a battery issue. The battery on my TDI also failed at around 2 years. Do you have the VARTA battery?
joethomasv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 15:18   #2095

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
This is most probably a battery issue. The battery on my TDI also failed at around 2 years. Do you have the VARTA battery?
Thanks, I am not sure what make it was. I just remember it wasn't any brand (like Exide) that I knew of.

I recall reading on this thread that the battery warranty is 1 year but several others have also reported here that they got a free replacement even later (when the battery was 1-2 years old).

I will wait and see what the service advisor reports.
Old 4th March 2016, 16:19   #2096
BHPian

Quote:

The car was taken on a flatbed to the dealer and the service advisor reported that it could be the battery so they will charge for 6 hours and check and also that the coolant was low. I requested them to check with a standby battery and let me know, but it sounds like they are busy.

Any advice?

Charging never helps. It'll die out soon again insist on a replacement and tell them you'll write to Skoda with the abysmal experience and the low quality of the battery. A battery is supposed to have a life of 3-5 years and charging it will never solve the issue. I faced the same and insisted on the replacement which I got.
Old 5th March 2016, 01:02   #2097
Senior - BHPian

It seems like fuel pump failure to me since all other electricals were working? Exhaust inspection light turns off only once the car starts, stays on when ignition is on but engine is not running. If coolant was low it could be a water pump issue as well. Ask them questions, if you don't, they'll give you a half treatment of what they seem to think is the problem. That's why I keep praising my service center here as they are very aggressive in diagnosing the problem to the point.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 10:29   #2098

Quote:
It seems like fuel pump failure to me since all other electricals were working? Exhaust inspection light turns off only once the car starts, stays on when ignition is on but engine is not running. If coolant was low it could be a water pump issue as well. Ask them questions, if you don't, they'll give you a half treatment of what they seem to think is the problem.
Thanks adi_petrolhead. On Saturday they told me that it is a problem with the battery and that they will replace it under warranty. I have called them this morning and requested them to check the fuel pump and water pump as suggested by you.
Old 7th March 2016, 10:41   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Thanks adi_petrolhead. On Saturday they told me that it is a problem with the battery and that they will replace it under warranty. I have called them this morning and requested them to check the fuel pump and water pump as suggested by you.

It could just be a bad battery but when you told me that all electricals worked, even the starter cranked but the engine didn't fire up, that simply could be because the engine isn't getting fuel. If the battery was indeed dead, starter won't turn at all. That's why it's worth getting checked, and if it is the case indeed, a new battery won't help. Do the nearby fuel bunks have good quality fuel? Have you had other issues with fuel earlier?

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 7th March 2016 at 10:43.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 11:31   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
It could just be a bad battery but when you told me that all electricals worked, even the starter cranked but the engine didn't fire up, that simply could be because the engine isn't getting fuel. If the battery was indeed dead, starter won't turn at all. That's why it's worth getting checked, and if it is the case indeed, a new battery won't help. Do the nearby fuel bunks have good quality fuel? Have you had other issues with fuel earlier?

Well when the battery in my car went bad I experienced the same issues as above which was sorted with the battery replacement... All the electricals worked and the engine didn't fire up on cranking... It was resolved by the battery change. Guess the voltage wasn't enough for the engine to fire up.
This was further confirmed since my service Center instead of asking me to send the car had first asked me to call up the BAJAJ insurance people for their free roadside assistance and they came attached their jumper cable charged the battery and the car came to life. Worked fine for a few hours and then conked off again. Called the BAJAJ people again and this time sent the car straight to the service Center with instructions to change the battery which they did and it's been running fine since then.

Most Viewed