Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 12:09   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Reporting second battery failure in 2.5 years. Yesterday drove the car for about 200 kms, stopped, parked the car for an hour, came back, it was dead.

It's so much so cooked off this time that there isn't enough juice to even unlock the car with remote. Had to use the key.

Instruments constantly flickered and then the bolero screen showed up the message that battery is low pls visit your dealer!

Used a service battery to start the car, drove it for about 30 mins and kept it 30 mins just like that, turned the car off, tried to restart, dead again.

No idea if they'll give me a new battery or some other thing is at fault here like an open circuit continuously drawing power.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 12:34   #2117
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

When I picked up my Octavia TSI in Dec15/January16 they still had quite a few Superb Zeals and a couple of Octavia Zeals left at the factory. But they were Feb15 cars If I remember correctly.

While I like black interiors (also own a Cruze) what my thoughts were is that:
1. Alcantara although a much sought after finish is pretty prone to smudging and damage especially from liquids
2. I have 2 boisterous kids who are constantly eating/drinking in the car :-(
3. If I remember correctly, the contrasts (inserts/chroming etc.) in the Zeal edition were no different to the normal Octavia. The same wooden inserts that contrast beautifully with the beige look strange in the black one. They should have been chrome lined or ash grey which is what the Octavia Black editions are in UK and the EU. As a result, the effect on the dashboard and the door panel is to make it too dark and blackened. Some chrome-lining and appropriate inserts would have been stunning.

Given the choice I would have seriously considered picking up a white or silver Octavia with the UK style Black edition interiors.
Old 26th March 2016, 19:31   #2118
BHPian

Hi everyone.

Terribly messed up in my mind and I desperately need some help from the gurus here.

I am almost decided upon buying an Octavia, but having heard the terrible tales of DSG failures, I am developing cold feet. Of these transmissions, I understand that DQ200 (7-Speed box) is the more troublesome v/s the DQ250 (6-Speed box).

Now the 1.8TSI is mated to DQ200, while the 2.0TDI is mated to DQ250. Though my usage justifies more of a petrol car (roughly 50Kms/day), I am thinking more about the DQ200 failure rate and considering going for the 2.0TDI. With this in mind, I have a few specific questions:

1) How bad and often have the members on this thread/forum experienced the teoubles with DQ250

2) How bad is the spare parts availability

3) What is the general response from Skoda in dealing with a failed tranny complaint? What is their attitude in dealing with it?

4) If I am thinking of owning this car for next 8 years, then is it asking too much from a Skoda? Is there such a serious lack of reliability of a Skoda?

Your answers will definitely make a mark and help in my decision making so please for God's sake be generous and forthcoming.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th March 2016, 22:20   #2119
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish Skoda would give us an entry level variant of the Octavia with the 1.8 TSI and the 6 speed manual transmission as in the new Superb, with 320 NM torque output. This would be great variant combination to have in terms of reliability and a possible at 2-3 lacs lesser price point compared to the 1.8 TSI AT. It would be a scorcher with that kind of torque output and lesser weight than the Superb!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th March 2016 at 22:22.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 22:51   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Did someone find a way to retrofit the new audio system with carplay / android auto option and rear camera etc to the 2014/15 model.

Also, does anyone know of an external remote control which can work with the Multimedia system ( Basically needed if someone in the back wants to control the audio while being chauffer driven)

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 26th March 2016 at 23:06.
Old 26th March 2016, 23:37   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Did someone find a way to retrofit the new audio system with carplay / android auto option and rear camera etc to the 2014/15 model.
I had inquired for the same on my last visit to the dealership. I was told that it is not possible and it is not available as accessory.
Old 27th March 2016, 00:16   #2122
BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
Hi everyone.

Terribly messed up in my mind and I desperately need some help from the gurus here.

I am almost decided upon buying an Octavia, but having heard the terrible tales of DSG failures, I am developing cold feet. Of these transmissions, I understand that DQ200 (7-Speed box) is the more troublesome v/s the DQ250 (6-Speed box).

Now the 1.8TSI is mated to DQ200, while the 2.0TDI is mated to DQ250. Though my usage justifies more of a petrol car (roughly 50Kms/day), I am thinking more about the DQ200 failure rate and considering going for the 2.0TDI.

The usage u quote, is good enough to warrant a diesel, so dont worry about that.
8 years i feel is a very long time to pre plan... But yeah, it does seem a little too long to keep a skoda. For 8 year keeping, the only brand i would actually consider is toyota.
If you are prepared to live with comparatively higher maintainance time and cost, the skoda will put a much bigger smile than the toyota will, and vice versa.
It is basically a heart vs mind decision.

Not the same segment, but i had to pick between city and vento ( the segment itself was a stretch). I ended up going with the ❤️
Old 27th March 2016, 07:55   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Reporting second battery failure in 2.5 years. Yesterday drove the car for about 200 kms, stopped, parked the car for an hour, came back, it was dead.
That's really sad Adi. Two battery failures in a such a short span of time sounds very uncomfortable. Which battery did they put in last time? When my car's battery had gone dead, they gave me an official Volkswagen battery. I don't know if we can expect anything better out of it. Please update us on the current situation.
Also, read about the shudder issue. Has it been resolved?
I own a TDI DSG and the car has clocked 34k kms on the odo in about 20 months. There has not been any such shuddering or jerkiness in my car till date. However the rattling sunroof is really irritating and front Left passenger glass has also somehow gone loose.
Rest it has been a pleasant experience with the car and I hope it continues to be the same.
Old 27th March 2016, 12:49   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
While I like black interiors (also own a Cruze) what my thoughts were is that:
1. Alcantara although a much sought after finish is pretty prone to smudging and damage especially from liquids
2. I have 2 boisterous kids who are constantly eating/drinking in the car :-(
3. If I remember correctly, the contrasts (inserts/chroming etc.) in the Zeal edition were no different to the normal Octavia. The same wooden inserts that contrast beautifully with the beige look strange in the black one. They should have been chrome lined or ash grey which is what the Octavia Black editions are in UK and the EU. As a result, the effect on the dashboard and the door panel is to make it too dark and blackened. Some chrome-lining and appropriate inserts would have been stunning.
At the end of the day aesthetics are by definition subjective (beauty, after all, lies in the eye of the beholder), but you raise some valid points itwasntme.

1 & 2: I haven't found the Alcantara to be prone to any smudging as such, although I can imagine it getting damaged by repeated spillage of liquids. Also, while eating and drinking are not permitted in my car, Alcantara is clearly not a good option in vehicles where this can't be avoided.
3: the centre console insert in the Zeal edition is piano black and looks smashing. I personally prefer it to chrome (not a big fan) or any other contrasting / lighter colour, including ash grey (the Black Edition available internationally is not to my liking, I prefer the all-black look in certain RS interiors). Unfortunately, Skoda India left the door trims as is. While I would have preferred them to be piano black as well, the dark brown takes on a darker hue and doesn't look as bad as it sounds... if you're into that kind of look
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 22:35   #2125
BHPian

Question to all 1.8tsi owners, how soon does the 'check oil' lights up after engine oil change/top up? For me it has been 6-7K kms come what may. My car has clocked 32K+ kms and by past experience it will easily take in 1.5-2lts of oil. Last service was done at 27K kms approx
Old 1st April 2016, 11:59   #2126
BHPian

Of late I have been seeing many new Octavias on the road in Ahmadabad. Colours like red, capuchino badge which were unseen before are also seen now. And one more observation is that all models are top of the trim level.
Old 1st April 2016, 14:26   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I did ask my dealer and he said that the Bangalore dealers are doing it, but he also tells me that the upgrades are possible but getting it officially is difficult because of component protection, VIN specification. Will update once the dealer gives me a ballpark figure. More than the infotainment I am interested in getting KESSY to work on older cars, its a small convenience and don't think it will be much expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Which battery did they put in last time? When my car's battery had gone dead, they gave me an official Volkswagen battery.
You mean the brand on the battery was "Volkswagen"? and not Exide or Sebang or Varta? The original battery in the car was Varta, then they changed it to Exide, and currently they have stocks of Exide batteries only. Exide ones are made in Spain. I have been suggested to get a DIN60 battery from local Exide dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Question to all 1.8tsi owners, how soon does the 'check oil' lights up after engine oil change/top up?
I have only faced it once, just before my car's 3rd service was due. The level was down by about 1.2 litres. If your car throws up the error every 6-7k kms, its not normal in my opinion, needs to be checked. My car has run 58000 kms in 29 months exactly till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Of late I have been seeing many new Octavias on the road in Ahmadabad.
Since they discontinued the base trim, I have also noticed a lot of top end models, and more so after the introduction of Style plus (new top end Octy) variant. They say the sales are strong right before the Superb Style ("base" 2016 variant) deliveries begin, which will now start eating into Octavia sales. I pity when I see a new Octavia on the road, as I feel, there goes another jolly customer who might/might not feel the pains I have to with my car.
Old 5th April 2016, 00:44   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I

You mean the brand on the battery was "Volkswagen"? and not Exide or Sebang or Varta? The original battery in the car was Varta, then they changed it to Exide, and currently they have stocks of Exide batteries only. Exide ones are made in Spain. I have been suggested to get a DIN60 battery from local Exide dealer.
That's right. It says "Volkswagen original Batterie"
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-image.jpeg  

Old 5th April 2016, 14:07   #2129
BHPian

Has anyone tried or thought of upsizing the rims to 17 inchers? I am seriously considering upsizing to 17's and in order to not void the warranty I thought I can keep the stock rims with me and since the car will go for service just once a year as my usage is very low I could swap to the stock rims and tyres before sending her for service and change back to the bigger wheels once back from service. Can anyone think of or point out any flaws in my evil/ genius plan ?
Old 5th April 2016, 18:28   #2130
Distinguished - BHPian

:-) Think some of the 'modders' in TBHP do exactly that. Only issue I can think of is ensuring the TPMS sensors are carefully taken out each time and fitted into the rims so that a TPMS error doesn't pop up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks