Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 08:25   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajindal View Post
Has anyone had any battery problems yet? My battery was replaced last year and again this week. The car seems to run fine all along. One day it's running, the next morning you wake up its boom. Any suggestions?

Hi
Pls go through the entire thread as most of the queries are already there and answered, before you post yours. Once you do that, you will notice that you're not alone when it comes to battery failures and several owners have gone through the ordeal including yours truly twice in 9 months. Finally went with Exide DIN60 from local battery shop, i think this battery will last me a good 3-4 years.

If you go to Skoda and ask for a replacement, they wont replace it for free after 18 months from date of sale. They will charge about ₹8000 for a similar battery either Exide Spain/Sebang/Varta/Volkswagen branded, but its cheaper and much more hassle free if you go for local battery which will cost you ₹5300 with refund for the old unit.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 10:57   #2162
BHPian

My 2012 Laura had her first battery failure last month. Called up Skoda and they said tha my warranty will be void if I get it replaced from outside. Had to Pay 8k to get it replaced by the Skoda workshop. The exide provided by Skoda is made is Spain. So that's how they identify if it's a workshop or an outside change. Please do keep the warranty in mind before changing your battery from outside.
Old 20th April 2016, 17:31   #2163
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Called up Skoda and they said tha my warranty will be void if I get it replaced from outside. Had to Pay 8k to get it replaced by the Skoda workshop.
You my friend have just been taken for a ride by your dealer. After the standard warranty on the battery is over, you're free to buy a suitable battery for your car on your own. No dealer/company can restrict you. And even if your car is 2012, you would have exhausted your extended warranty, or may be just about to expire. They cannot force you to buy a battery from them. No one does, and thats why they want to push the old battery stocks. Did you check the year of mfg. on the new battery? You can still give it back and buy a proper din60 Exide Indian make battery.
Old 20th April 2016, 19:44   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You my friend have just been taken for a ride by your dealer. After the standard warranty on the battery is over, you're free to buy a suitable battery for your car on your own. No dealer/company can restrict you. And even if your car is 2012, you would have exhausted your extended warranty, or may be just about to expire. They cannot force you to buy a battery from them. No one does, and thats why they want to push the old battery stocks. Did you check the year of mfg. on the new battery? You can still give it back and buy a proper din60 Exide Indian make battery.

This information was provided to me when I called Skoda India when I called on their toll free. So did not want to take the risk. I had extended warranty which still has 6 months left. Did not want to take any risk so went to the dealer :(
Old 26th April 2016, 18:52   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Hey fellow bhpians. Given my recent worst experience with Skoda, I hereby wanted to warn everyone that pls re-consider your decision on the Octavia. Be it TDI or TSI, there are a ton of failures and Skoda is not waking up yet. More than a month gone, my car still lies at the workshop. Decision was made 15 days ago, that the car needs a new gearbox altogether. Since then it's been a horrible experience as they keep asking for time but never respond with proper feedback.

First they wait for the extended warranty approval, and now fumbling to search and locate the part. I am yet to receive an ETA on the part.

I would suggest all new buyers to hold off. Buy an Audi, a BMW, a Mercedes may be? At least hold off till my troubles are solved. There's no changes in the latest gearboxes in the Octy, only the one installed in the new Superb is "supposedly" more reliable.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 01:34   #2166
BHPian

To me, buying an Octavia is like marrying an immensely beautiful and desirable lady just because of the way she looks. Without a thought that how she "looks" has got nothing to do about how she will behave or how positively capable she could be to make your life hell.

I still can't imagine how is it possible that cars like VW which were rock solid and pretty much perfect pieces of engineering and reliability even decades ago have come to be what they are today. At least in India. Oh okay, maybe because they are in India now and it's okay to be that way? So sad.
Old 27th April 2016, 06:14   #2167
BHPian

With the history behind Skoda and all the horror stories, I don't even think in my dreams to buy one. So much so that I am pretty darn vocal in my friend circle telling them every time some one wants to buy a car to absolutely stay away from Skoda. I guide them to all the horror stories here. People are courageous to still buy one, I just hope they have a good ownership experience. I would never buy one.
Old 5th May 2016, 16:33   #2168
BHPian

Good day everyone. This question may have just been asked earlier, but nevertheless, what pressure do you all(Octavia 1.8 TSi owners) maintain in their vehicle tyres?
Old 6th May 2016, 19:38   #2169
BANNED

No matter what I read about the experiences of various owners, if I were in the market for a big sedan which looked great, drove great and was so spacious, I would still put my money down on a Skoda Octavia TSI DSG. No matter what the horror stories are but the thing is just so good, I can forgive and forget.

Also I feel maybe adi_petrolhead, your car is not exactly a lemon but something on the similar lines seeing so many failures.
Old 7th May 2016, 15:30   #2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Good day everyone. This question may have just been asked earlier, but nevertheless, what pressure do you all(Octavia 1.8 TSi owners) maintain in their vehicle tyres?
32psi in all tyres - nitrogen
Jaygojer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 18:20   #2171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
34 normal air in all tyres. Have a lot of stony roads in my area and want to avoid punctures, hence the elevated pressure.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 21:27   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post

Also I feel maybe adi_petrolhead, your car is not exactly a lemon but something on the similar lines seeing so many failures.

The sad part is that even if it fit the textbook definition of lemon, the Indian buyer is not protected against such issues. A working Octavia 1.8 TSI is a great product but the statement is qualified by the keyword "working". SIAM voluntarily agreed to proactively deal with manufacturing and related mechanical issues with automobiles but in the absence of strict laws or the fear of punitive action, manufacturers have no incentive to guarantee a fault-free product.
Old 12th May 2016, 15:22   #2173

I am getting this error message - keeps coming and going when the car is in motion. Keeps appearing randomly and going away on its own. Showed the car to Autobahn Mumbai - they can't figure it out so they have sent the quarry to Skoda. Anyone knows why it is coming? Or what can be done to resolve it.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0824.jpg  

Old 12th May 2016, 15:59   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjain View Post
I am getting this error message - keeps coming and going when the car is in motion. Keeps appearing randomly and going away on its own. Showed the car to Autobahn Mumbai - they can't figure it out so they have sent the quarry to Skoda. Anyone knows why it is coming? Or what can be done to resolve it.
TSI or TDI variant?

Do you have any difficulty with the ignition? (key or button)
Old 12th May 2016, 16:17   #2175

Sorry - forgot to specify - this is a 1.8TSI - no trouble with ignition. This message comes only when car is in motion - and it appears randomly and also disappears on its own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks