Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 21:29   #2251
BHPian

Well my TDI has completed 38500kms as of today in the past 2 years... The mileage has been a consistent 13-14kmpl in the city and 18-20 on the highways... I have yet to take it for the 7500km periodic checkup that has been pushed for by the dealership and have overstepped it by a 1k Kms so I'm wondering whether it'll affect my warranty now...
Personally I'm absolutely satisfied by the suspension and the performance too...
Old 6th July 2016, 22:18   #2252
sud
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Anyone using 1.8 TSI AT? How is the realistic FE you are getting?
In city: 7-10 dependending upon traffic
Highways driving cruising around 100 kmph with sports mode for acceleration: 14 - 15
Highways driving light footed: 15-17

On a side note, this is an interesting video on things not to do with DCT:
Old 6th July 2016, 22:31   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : 1.8 TSI OR 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Absolutely. Purely from the driving experience, Jetta TDi is definitely an option. What Jetta lacks is the fresher look and equipment (AFS II, Sunroof, better HU etc).
Since the topic is up, I wanted to know how much more advanced is the AFS 2 in octy? It even detects rain and brightens up even more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well my TDI has completed 38500kms as of today in the past 2 years... The mileage has been a consistent 13-14kmpl in the city and 18-20 on the highways... I have yet to take it for the 7500km periodic checkup that has been pushed for by the dealership and have overstepped it by a 1k Kms so I'm wondering whether it'll affect my warranty now...
Personally I'm absolutely satisfied by the suspension and the performance too...
Honestly, Get it done, Won't cost you anything much, and would probably take a couple of hours, Just to be on the safer side, You never know when your car might give you any sort of trouble, And if VW and Skoda can decline a warranty claim on a swapped bulb they can very will give the excuse of no timely check-up done or something like that, Since one thing i have always noticed during making any warranty claim, They go through your car with a magnifier and also check past records.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 6th July 2016 at 22:40. Reason: Adding quoted post.
Old 7th July 2016, 00:11   #2254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Anyone using 1.8 TSI AT? How is the realistic FE you are getting?
AT is actually better for fuel economy as the DSG upshifts pretty quickly to the highest possible gear keeping all factors in mind. My long-term average in BLR city with 90% AC on and a mix of 70% city (rest highway) over 7k km has been 10.5 km/lt. This is with bumper to bumper traffic in city plus some frenzied spurts :-) on the highway sections.

However aggressive driving especially in Sports mode returns around 8!
Old 8th July 2016, 19:23   #2255
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs. I have decided to go for TDI AT considering the mileage and resale value, though I will have to shell out 2 lakh more. I called a few TSI AT owners and their feedback was not good as far as the FE is concerned. But yes, if you are looking for that explosive performance, 1.8 is the right one, I am not looking for that. I want comfortable drive with good FE and a reasonable resale value.

Thanks
Sudheer Menon
Old 10th July 2016, 00:47   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Well, not sure I actually do that in my MT car. I downshift either because I am slowing down routinely or for engine braking - in either case I don't press the accelerator at all.

In my GT, over last 2.5 years and 26000km, I have been observing that the DSG has a bug - if I am in D3 and I brake to slow down(e.g. approaching a speed breaker), it downshifts to D2, but engine tries rev up fighting the brake. Are you experiencing this by chance? IMO, this is clearly a bug. If accelerator is released and brake is pressed, DSG should simply downshift at appropriate point as the speed reduces (which it does) and then it should just maintain minimum revs in D2 (to prevent stalling) or downshift to D1 if required. It should not rev up in D2 until brake is released. They MUST fix this bug.
DSG is behaving just fine, its just rev matching internally. When its downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, your clutch disc will be running at a much higher rpm than the engine. To keep up, the engine revs a bit to match that speed . This is a good practice & prevents less wear on the clutch disc.
Old 10th July 2016, 03:42   #2257
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the best way to carry out a explosive start with a DSG gearbox? Should one press the brake at first and/or let the car roll a bit at first and/or then jam the foot down? With the TCS electronic wizardry, the Octavia anyway takes care of the slippage within the tyre's adhesion limits.

My manual Cruze (without TCS) used to spin away to glory as soon as the turbo boost came on so I mastered the art of riding the torque / boost wave and gain the best start. Any pointers for the DSGs?

Briskoda forum posts mention:
ESP off
Stop/start off
Left foot on brake.
Accelerate with right foot. (Should hold at 2500rpm ish)
Release brake

Mods: Hope this is not breaking the forum rules on high speeds etc. Am only checking 'launch control' techniques :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th July 2016 at 03:49. Reason: Briskoda clarification
Old 10th July 2016, 14:09   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
What is the best way to carry out a explosive start with a DSG gearbox? Should one press the brake at first and/or let the car roll a bit at first and/or then jam the foot down? With the TCS electronic wizardry, the Octavia anyway takes care of the slippage within the tyre's adhesion limits.

My manual Cruze (without TCS) used to spin away to glory as soon as the turbo boost came on so I mastered the art of riding the torque / boost wave and gain the best start. Any pointers for the DSGs?

Briskoda forum posts mention:
ESP off
Stop/start off
Left foot on brake.
Accelerate with right foot. (Should hold at 2500rpm ish)
Release brake

Mods: Hope this is not breaking the forum rules on high speeds etc. Am only checking 'launch control' techniques :-)

IMHO, DSG is not meant for explosive starts, but is designed to go linear. An imperfect launch (read with brake on) can mess up your torque converter. Plus you need to understand your gear ratios well enough to do this.

Get a manual!
Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 14:44   #2259
BHPian

I think one of the wheel bearings on my Octy is faulty. There's a humming noise that increases with speed. Also it increases when the steering is turned to the left and reduces when it is to the right. I guess that means the right side wheel bearing is at fault. 40k kms is a little to early for wheel bearing failure.

Wheel bearings are not covered under warranty I guess. Any one else faced any similar issue?
Old 10th July 2016, 17:06   #2260
BHPian

Based on the running you mentioned you won't cover more than 40 thousand kilometers in a five year span. Comparing the price difference of 2.0 TDI to 1.8 TSI you won't break even in that time span.

2.0TDI costs LESS than the 1.8TSI. So where's the question of breaking even?

Last edited by Zen2001 : 10th July 2016 at 17:07.
Old 11th July 2016, 12:14   #2261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
DSG is behaving just fine, its just rev matching internally. When its downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, your clutch disc will be running at a much higher rpm than the engine. To keep up, the engine revs a bit to match that speed . This is a good practice & prevents less wear on the clutch disc.
No. This makes braking ineffective and is a big safety issue in emergency situations. If the driver brakes, car MUST slow down. Period. If the revs are too high for D2 then it should stay in D3 longer and slow down and shift to D2 a little late. Whatever it takes...
Old 11th July 2016, 12:59   #2262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
No. This makes braking ineffective and is a big safety issue in emergency situations. If the driver brakes, car MUST slow down. Period. If the revs are too high for D2 then it should stay in D3 longer and slow down and shift to D2 a little late. Whatever it takes...
I don't think the rev matching speeds up the car Anand. I think we get some amount of engine braking too. This phenomenon is more visible when in S mode and the DSG down shifts aggressively and we hear those throaty snarls from the engine as it downshifts.

Anyways in an automatic, the box is always fighting the brakes and trying to push the car forwards. In fact in a TC box car this push in even stronger. This is one reason why brake life is generally lower in AT cars compared to MT cars.
Old 11th July 2016, 13:10   #2263
Distinguished - BHPian

My 7 month old 7k run Octavia TSI flashed a "Oil Service in 30 days" message. Does this mean a full blown service, an engine oil top-up or engine oil replacement?
Old 11th July 2016, 14:02   #2264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My 7 month old 7k run Octavia TSI flashed a "Oil Service in 30 days" message. Does this mean a full blown service, an engine oil top-up or engine oil replacement?
I think your car will be one year old in 30 days. One year from the date of production, the date when the service reminder was set. Should be a routine service reminder. I suggest you check the oil level via dipstick and top it up if necessary, and reset at the service reminder at the service centre. You can do the oil change during first service which should come up in 3 months.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 14:12   #2265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think the rev matching speeds up the car Anand. I think we get some amount of engine braking too. This phenomenon is more visible when in S mode and the DSG down shifts aggressively and we hear those throaty snarls from the engine as it downshifts.

Anyways in an automatic, the box is always fighting the brakes and trying to push the car forwards. In fact in a TC box car this push in even stronger. This is one reason why brake life is generally lower in AT cars compared to MT cars.
Santosh, during braking this problem happens only between D3 and D2. It's clearly a tuning issue. No jerks going from D7 through D3. In fact, I shift to "S" during urgent braking, S3 to S2 is much smoother.

Most Viewed