Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 15:03   #2491
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Just finished reading all 166 pages of this thread and I am really keen to get the Octavia 2.0 Manual TDI in my garage. But what is really surprising is that only the DSG folks have written or contributed here about their good, bad experiences and there is hardly any info on the Manual TDI here. Just makes me wonder if the The TDI is worth a buy especially as I am not really an AT fan and the problematic DSG gearboxes ensure that I don't go for it no matter what. Is the absence of any Manual TDI info due to lack of sales of the Manual version or is it something else?

Any inputs on recommendations/no recommendations of the manual version will be highly appreciated.
Old 13th December 2016, 19:36   #2492
BHPian

Hi SPARKled, I was almost there with a cappuccino beige 2.0 TDI Ambition Octavia but had to pull out last minute due to cash crunch. The best part is I was being offered a huge 2.5 L discount by Skoda dealer for a 2015 chassis car assembled in 2016. PM me if you might want to have a look. Cheers
T-Rex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 20:39   #2493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Just finished reading all 166 pages of this thread and I am really keen to get the Octavia 2.0 Manual TDI in my garage. Any inputs on recommendations/no recommendations of the manual version will be highly appreciated.
Guys, please factor in Tanveer's experience on post-update 2.0 VAG diesels.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4106236

I am willing to bet that no Skoda dealer has updated their demo cars knowing the restrictive effect of the same. Try and drive a post-update Octavia TDI before finally taking the plunge.

Has any Skoda Superb (old) or Octavia TDI owner taken their cars in for any service where Skoda has silently done an update?

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th December 2016 at 20:49. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 08:35   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir3127 View Post
The head unit of my Octavia TSI has suddenly stopped working. Will have to visit to the service centre tomorrow . It's a 4 month old car with 2500kms on odo.
Even mine had suffered the same within 2 weeks of the delivery.
In my case, the service people suggested a technical glitch. I had only tried to pair my phone to connect to the HU, as the Bluetooth remote app. The HU went to a bootloop, with no sound and ineffective touch. They reinstalled the firmware, to bring it back to life. Do let me know your reasoning as well.
Old 14th December 2016, 10:59   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys, please factor in Tanveer's experience on post-update 2.0 VAG diesels.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4106236

I am willing to bet that no Skoda dealer has updated their demo cars knowing the restrictive effect of the same. Try and drive a post-update Octavia TDI before finally taking the plunge.

Has any Skoda Superb (old) or Octavia TDI owner taken their cars in for any service where Skoda has silently done an update?
Correct me if I am wrong- the Octavia on the MQB platform came with a newer and upgraded engine than the one on the Jetta and older VAG cars and this one isn't affected by the recall. The Octavia comes with the EA288 family of engines and not the EA189 that the Jetta has and consequently will not face the issues that Tanveer did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Just makes me wonder if the The TDI is worth a buy especially as I am not really an AT fan and the problematic DSG gearboxes ensure that I don't go for it no matter what. Is the absence of any Manual TDI info due to lack of sales of the Manual version or is it something else?

Any inputs on recommendations/no recommendations of the manual version will be highly appreciated.
While i have'nt driven the manual version, i can assure you that the 6speed DSG on the diesel is very very reliable. In fact I have replaced my Laura diesel DSG with the Octavia DSG.
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 14th December 2016 at 11:02.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 13:19   #2496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Correct me if I am wrong- the Octavia on the MQB platform came with a newer and upgraded engine than the one on the Jetta and older VAG cars and this one isn't affected by the recall. The Octavia comes with the EA288 family of engines and not the EA189 that the Jetta has and consequently will not face the issues that Tanveer did.
You are very right, completely my mistake. Only the (EA189) old Superb 2.0 TDI will be impacted
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 16:07   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
My Superb has started behaving rather odd lately.First the memory function of the seats went kaput and since then the driver side seat started moving on its own that too when I was driving on a National Highway.
I had a conversation with the dealer and he has diagnosed a "faulty memory switch " and has quoted ₹3500 for the part.
Anybody with a similar experience?
When my octavia was in workshop for a part replacement, skoda gave me a replacement car for a month. It was an previous gen superb TDI. Every now and then while driving the driver seat used to move up/down/front/back. Very scary stuff because, once it went back all the way and my leg was barely reaching the pedals.
Old 14th December 2016, 20:15   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
VW has announced no recall for EA288 family engines in European Union. Cats in India aate sourced from Europe and therefore one can safely assume that cars in India with this engine ate not affected. I am attaching screen shot taken from Wikipedia.
Old 14th December 2016, 20:33   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Hello itwasntme! Thanks for the post. Yes i completely agree with what you have mentioned, i personally feel it is not worth the price, but again, can't use a broken knob on the wheel. The selector knob is pretty handy for changing the display and switching between various data screens. Mine is however cracked and broken and therefore completely unusable. Considering the part shall cost me a substantial amount, I was thinking of upgrading the steering to a one with paddle shifts.

Members who have installed the MFSW with paddles in their Octy's, can you all please suggest dealers/ stores from where to procure the same. Thank you.
hi, http://www.cars-equipment.com/ is probably your best bet! they ship at a nominal rate (whatsapp the contact given). Also, as you will be ordering from india, seller will sell you without VAT ( so its even cheaper)

you have an option to buy the switch in pair or you can buy the a drool worthy flatbottom with paddle shifters

Options - ( i am not sure if you have paddle sifters or not, so giving you all options)
1. Replace just the Switches (they come only in pairs) which are compatible with steering without Paddle Shifters -
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...tons-switches/
Euro 82
2. Replace just the Switches (they come only in pairs) which are compatible with steering with Paddle Shifters -
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...tons-switches/
Euro 82
3. Replace Round full steering (Retain Airbag from your original steering) without Paddle shifters -
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...ing-wheel-for/
Euro 214
4. Replace Round full steering (Retain Airbag from your original steering) with Paddle shifters -
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...teering-wheel/
Euro 194 (SUPER PRICE!!)
5. Replace Flatbottom full steering (Retain Airbag from your original steering) without Paddle shifters -
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...skoda-octavia/
Euro - 264
6. Replace Flatbottom full steering (Retain Airbag from your original steering) with Paddle shifters -
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...ering-wheel-3/
Euro 314

Personally i will choose option 4! for the price. But flat bottom is the ultimate upgrade if you have the budget for it
newtonMeter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 00:14   #2500
BHPian

Iam planning to buy a Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 Tsi. The dealer has given a 2 month waiting period.

In the mean while i test drove a Volvo V40 CC Petrol and like the car, he is giving a discount of 5 lakhs on road price.

Petrol Volvo engine is good and quirky, but doesnt have rear parking camera only sensors, only LCD screen, many features missing that i will get in Skoda.

Guys what ur take ?
drsvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 13:12   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
Iam planning to buy a Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 Tsi. The dealer has given a 2 month waiting period.

In the mean while i test drove a Volvo V40 CC Petrol and like the car, he is giving a discount of 5 lakhs on road price.

Petrol Volvo engine is good and quirky, but doesnt have rear parking camera only sensors, only LCD screen, many features missing that i will get in Skoda.

Guys what ur take ?
Did you get any discount on the 18TSI. I've been in the market for a 1.8TSI Ambition Plus, the discounts have come down from about 1.75 lacs in October to 0.75 lacs in December which has put me back on the fence. Any suggestions to help me break this logjam in my head please!! Dont want to be facing any price hikes because that'll surely bump me down to getting a vento/rapid
Old 15th December 2016, 15:10   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
hi, http://www.cars-equipment.com/ is probably your best bet! they ship at a nominal rate (whatsapp the contact given). Also, as you will be ordering from india, seller will sell you without VAT ( so its even cheaper)
Hi newtonmeter! Thanks a tonne for the info. , much appreciated.

Just a question, how reliable is this website? Have you ordered parts from here in the past? Also if you have, have you faced any issue at the customs whilst delivery of the part? Kindly advise.

Regards,

Artem

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2016 at 22:40. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 15th December 2016, 17:21   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_hi_im View Post
Did you get any discount on the 18TSI. I've been in the market for a 1.8TSI Ambition Plus, the discounts have come down from about 1.75 lacs in October to 0.75 lacs in December which has put me back on the fence. Any suggestions to help me break this logjam in my head please!! Dont want to be facing any price hikes because that'll surely bump me down to getting a vento/rapid
They are offering me a 1 lakh discount on 2016 model and no discount on 2017 model which essentially has a built in navigation and 6.5 inch touch screen.

I am not sure which other new features are there.
Old 15th December 2016, 19:17   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
They are offering me a 1 lakh discount on 2016 model and no discount on 2017 model which essentially has a built in navigation and 6.5 inch touch screen.
Thanks drsvijay. As far as features go, the Ambition Plus does not come with navigation

After a lot of back and forth, I've just closed the deal with a 85K discount for a MY17, VIN16 + some free accessories (mud flaps, cover, door mats)) thrown in for good measure. According to the dealer there no MY16 cars are available at the plant and they cannot get cars from other dealerships outside the state
Old 15th December 2016, 21:56   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_hi_im View Post
Thanks drsvijay. As far as features go, the Ambition Plus does not come with navigation

After a lot of back and forth, I've just closed the deal with a 85K discount for a MY17, VIN16 + some free accessories (mud flaps, cover, door mats)) thrown in for good measure. According to the dealer there no MY16 cars are available at the plant and they cannot get cars from other dealerships outside the state
I asked for Style Plus variant in 1.8 Tsi.

tWhat does VIN16 mean? Will try getting similar discounts from my dealer if I finalise on Skoda. Still have double mind after seeing new Volvo V40 Cross Country.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th December 2016 at 08:19. Reason: Post edited for grammar & spell-check.

Most Viewed