Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2016, 22:00   #2506
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
I asked for Style Plus variant in 1.8 Tsi.

What does VIN16 mean? Will try getting similar discounts from my dealer if I finalise on Skoda. Skill have double mind after seeing new Volvo V40 Cross Country.
2016 manufactured. Volvo's just outside my budget but it sure looks fantastic. All the best with your decision.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th December 2016 at 22:41. Reason: Quoted post was edited.
Old 16th December 2016, 13:48   #2507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Hi newtonmeter! Thanks a tonne for the info. , much appreciated.

Just a question, how reliable is this website? Have you ordered parts from here in the past? Also if you have, have you faced any issue at the customs whilst delivery of the part? Kindly advise.

Regards,

Artem
Yes i and Rohan had ordered flat bottom steering from this site for our 1z lauras. Delivered on time (Free shipping and VAT free, free shipping as we bought 2 steering). No custom but i guess it was sheer luck.

Rohan also ordered slip rings later and got them with no hassle.

Try to bargain the shipping on Whatsapp with the owner of the site, he is very reasonable but will respond mostly on weekdays. Holiday season coming soon and these guys take there holidays very seriously
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 14:05   #2508
BHPian

Oh the joys of discovering small new features on your new car!

While discussing a few VCDS options with newtonMeter, we discovered that the claws in the headlight light up when parking lights come on. Unfortunately though, its yellow! Now the search has begun to change this to white. In my opinion it looks subtly gorgeous- just like the rest of the car!

Some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_8844.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_8845.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-fullsizerender.jpg  

RohanDheman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 17:36   #2509
Senior - BHPian

It's a standard w5w blue vision bulb sitting behind that chrome cover, for the "claws" as you call it, to light up. Its a subtle shade of yellow, and far from white of course. If you change it to LED, it will throw up an error. Leave it intact, because if something goes wrong with the lights, its gonna cost a bomb!
Old 16th December 2016, 20:51   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It's a standard w5w blue vision bulb sitting behind that chrome cover, for the "claws" as you call it, to light up. Its a subtle shade of yellow, and far from white of course. If you change it to LED, it will throw up an error. Leave it intact, because if something goes wrong with the lights, its gonna cost a bomb!
well the error can be simply corrected by telling BCM its an LED module. Many threads on briskoda to confirm the same.
Old 17th December 2016, 09:14   #2511
BHPian

No offense to anyone. ..a few observations...drove a Octavia DSG TDI hard on the highway (bottomed out the suspension type of hard). My daily drive is a GT TSI with Bilstein B6, paddle shifters and a remap.

The brakes in the Octy are fantastic and superbly linear. A real pleasure. While not as nimble as the Polo, the turn in and eagerness to change direction was very good, definitely better than the Laura. Within the city, I couldn't really blitz through as I do in the Polo because of the size. The suspension, while no B6, is excellent - perhaps I wouldn't upgrade at all if I owned one.

The plastics were OK, a couple of buttons felt real cheap. The Laura I felt was better.

What was a revelation to me was how much more enjoyable the DSG 7 speed was in the Polo comparison to DSG 6 in the TDI. Much more snappier, more alive, high strung, edgy. The TDI just felt normal and boring in comparison! I don't know if its diesel vs petrol, wet vs dry... but hell, what a difference..
d_himan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 00:37   #2512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
What was a revelation to me was how much more enjoyable the DSG 7 speed was in the Polo comparison to DSG 6 in the TDI. Much more snappier, more alive, high strung, edgy. The TDI just felt normal and boring in comparison! I don't know if its diesel vs petrol, wet vs dry... but hell, what a difference..
Somewhat similar to you, I extensively test-drove the Octavia TDI & TSI back to back over multiple identical stretches (city, semi-urban, highway) and totally agree with you. Bought the TSI a year back

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th December 2016 at 00:39. Reason: Clarify
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 01:28   #2513
BHPian

Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a new car in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Need help with the following:
How is the Octy TDi Ambience manual ?
What is the range of On road price negotiation ? Quoted 22.6L
Whom in Skoda Ag India to send SOS to ?
What are essential in terms of extended a try n insurance ?
What is the average cost of routine periodic maintenance ?
What are the links to parts and acc both domestic n overseas reliable ?

My usage will be office runs with daily average of 50kms, well paved but cut throat traffic,occasional Accelerated Highway runs and interstate travel.
Old 18th December 2016, 09:51   #2514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
My usage will be office runs with daily average of 50kms, well paved but cut throat traffic,occasional Accelerated Highway runs and interstate travel.
If your usage is through cut throat traffic, why don't you consider AT? Your left leg will just thank you! I think the ex showroom price difference between the Ambition AT and manual is about 1.3L. If you can stretch the budget, I would suggest you to also consider the AT.
Old 18th December 2016, 11:07   #2515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If your usage is through cut throat traffic, why don't you consider AT? Your left leg will just thank you! I think the ex showroom price difference between the Ambition AT and manual is about 1.3L. If you can stretch the budget, I would suggest you to also consider the AT.
No AT after all the horror stories and I don't like driving em either.
Old 18th December 2016, 11:37   #2516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
No AT after all the horror stories and I don't like driving em either.
Regarding horror stories, the AT in the diesel Octavia is the 6 speed wet clutch which is very reliable. It is the 7 speed dry clutch AT in the 1.8TSi Octavia that has all the problems.

However, if you do not like to drive AT, then go for MT
Old 20th December 2016, 14:18   #2517

Hi All,

I've decided to go for a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Style Plus. I needed help to decide whether to go for the Consumables + Engine Protection add-on in the Insurance. I'll anyway go for Basic Comprehensive + Zero Dep.

Request your recommendation and inputs.

Thanks!
Old 20th December 2016, 16:43   #2518
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian View Post
Hi All,

I've decided to go for a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Style Plus. I needed help to decide whether to go for the Consumables + Engine Protection add-on in the Insurance. I'll anyway go for Basic Comprehensive + Zero Dep.

Request your recommendation and inputs.

Thanks!
Would absolutely recommend to go for the engine protection especially being a skoda. It just gives peace of mind.
Old 20th December 2016, 23:06   #2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Would absolutely recommend to go for the engine protection especially being a skoda. It just gives peace of mind.
Thanks for the response and advice sud. But, I was wondering if there have been any cases amongst the community where one really has had to use the Engine Protect add-on. I haven't really come across any cases of water ingress or consequential damage to the engine in this forum amongst the posts I've gone through.

I agree it's obviously good to be safe but comes at a cost And, I'm trying to ascertain the probability of something like that happening (or having happened with someone in the past).
Old 21st December 2016, 14:19   #2520
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian View Post
Thanks for the response and advice sud. But, I was wondering if there have been any cases amongst the community where one really has had to use the Engine Protect add-on. I haven't really come across any cases of water ingress or consequential damage to the engine in this forum amongst the posts I've gone through.

I agree it's obviously good to be safe but comes at a cost And, I'm trying to ascertain the probability of something like that happening (or having happened with someone in the past).
Get whatever add-on protection you can for the 1.8 TSi has a temperamental drivetrain. My car's DSG failed once before and now there is a further complication with the engine. It has been at the workshop for over two months now and they are yet to give me an ETA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks