Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 14:32   #2521
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian View Post
Thanks for the response and advice sud. But, I was wondering if there have been any cases amongst the community where one really has had to use the Engine Protect add-on. I haven't really come across any cases of water ingress or consequential damage to the engine in this forum amongst the posts I've gone through.

I agree it's obviously good to be safe but comes at a cost And, I'm trying to ascertain the probability of something like that happening (or having happened with someone in the past).
The Skoda Octavia doesn't have a very high water wading capability. When i was reading the manual, if i recall correctly, it was only till the fog lamp height and the manual stated to avoid anything more than that. Since you are in Gurugram and it floods considerably, why take a chance? Don't get the insurance from the showroom- do it on your own and use the savings to get the Engine Protect add on. Even i have done it on my Octavia bought in October. With Skoda in general- more that good, its best to be safe!

Rohan
Old 21st December 2016, 15:40   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
What was a revelation to me was how much more enjoyable the DSG 7 speed was in the Polo comparison to DSG 6 in the TDI. Much more snappier, more alive, high strung, edgy. The TDI just felt normal and boring in comparison! I don't know if its diesel vs petrol, wet vs dry... but hell, what a difference..
It is definitely not diesel vs petrol, or the various engines they are used in combination with. We have the DQ250 (Superb 3.6) in combination with a NA petrol and the shift times are noticeably slower than the DQ200 (Vento TSI) we have, especially during downshifts or while skipping through two or more gears. It should not be just down to the difference of a wet vs dry clutch unit, but rather cause DQ250 is inherently an older DSG design. When compared to conventional ATs, DQ250 feels superior. But back to back with the DQ200, it definitely feels lacking. I have driven cars with DQ500 boxes and they were faster than the DQ250, albeit both being wet clutch units.
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:51   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if the Octavia will get a limited edition (black interiors) or the facelift soon? I am planning to get the TDI MT but can wait a few months of that is the case.
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:06   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Any idea if the Octavia will get a limited edition (black interiors) or the facelift soon? I am planning to get the TDI MT but can wait a few months of that is the case.
Facelift is expected sometime next year. Also, Skoda will be launching Black Edition which will surely have All Black Interiors. So, in case you want the New Face & Black Interiors, it's best to wait for the Facelift.

If you don't like the Automatic, you can look at Manual Transmission, but if you're concerned about reliability of the gearbox, then you should put away that fear. The Diesel Automatic is very reliable & there have been no niggles reported. BHPian RohanDheman replaced his Laura DSG with an Octavia DSG. That speaks about the reliability of this Gearbox.
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 10:29   #2525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Facelift is expected sometime next year. Also, Skoda will be launching Black Edition which will surely have All Black Interiors. So, in case you want the New Face & Black Interiors, it's best to wait for the Facelift.
I think the limited Black Edition is exclusively the current model while the facelift with the controversial split headlights will continue in the dual beige black combination. I don't think you will get both!

Plus given the phase out of the 1.8TSI in Europe, they might overnight change the 1.8 to the 1.4 like Audi has already done with the new A4.

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th December 2016 at 10:39. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 17:50   #2526
BHPian

So Ive booked a September 2016 manufactured Ambition Plus 1.8 TSI. Dealer claims its a MY17 and the discount is based on this. Can the good people/ mods here on TBHP please vet this claim. Thanks much in advance.
Old 24th December 2016, 19:44   #2527
BANNED

Guys when can we expect the facelifted Octavia in our Market? I have been waiting for past 3-Months now, but now I'm running out of patience

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2016 at 08:10. Reason: Please pay attention to what to capitalize and what not to.
Old 24th December 2016, 20:05   #2528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_hi_im View Post
So Ive booked a September 2016 manufactured Ambition Plus 1.8 TSI. Dealer claims its a MY17 and the discount is based on this. Can the good people/ mods here on TBHP please vet this claim. Thanks much in advance.
Congratulations! May I ask, what is the level of discount were you able to negotiate?
Old 24th December 2016, 22:37   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Congratulations! May I ask, what is the level of discount were you able to negotiate?
Total discount was around 90K but 50K out of that is negotiated between my company and Skoda directly.
avi_hi_im is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 13:12   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a new car in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Need help with the following:
How is the Octy TDi Ambience manual ?
What is the range of On road price negotiation ? Quoted 22.6L
Whom in Skoda Ag India to send SOS to ?
What are essential in terms of extended a try n insurance ?
What is the average cost of routine periodic maintenance ?
What are the links to parts and acc both domestic n overseas reliable ?

My usage will be office runs with daily average of 50kms, well paved but cut throat traffic,occasional Accelerated Highway runs and interstate travel.
I was told by local dealer that theres no MY16 Ambition 2.0 TDI Manual available in the stock. MY17 cars have no price discounts. Please advice.
Old 31st December 2016, 09:33   #2531
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my Octavia TSi serviced from Vinayak Cars - Okalipuram, Bangalore at 1 year and 13000 km.

Notes:
1. Skoda is quietly replacing all imported Octavia batteries (Sepang/Varta) with Exide. Please insist and get it done even off-cycle. As per the SA, there is little reliability of the OEM batteries after 18 months or so.
2. Workshops are also throwing in a 'free' 3M interior cleaning which will be ultimately reimbursed by Skoda. Do try to get it from the SA.
3. Time taken was only 6 hours.
4. The usual consumables were changed.
5. Total bill came to 9.9k with an optional Rs. 800 AC disinfecting (stale smell from AC on starting only).
6. I just missed the Skoda service campaign which ended on 15/12. They had some %age discount on consumables - I could have saved at least 1k but could not manage due to work commitments.
7. Overall an excellent experience.
Old 4th January 2017, 15:21   #2532
BHPian

Autocar India has published a video comparison of petrol versions of Hyundai Elantra - Toyota Corolla Altis - Skoda Octavia. Skoda Octavia has come out winner. Here is the link

Old 4th January 2017, 22:49   #2533
BHPian

Even the Exide battery is not the Indian Exide, it is an imported one, atleast it was so in my case.
Also, I believe we shouldn't try getting Octavia A7 battery replaced with an aftermarket battery. Got my Exide battery (which was replaced under warranty) with an Amaron one, but this was probably a mistake, it led to all sorts of errors and 25 days in the service centre with coolant pump replacement. A-la-Big three kind of issue I think, where a battery change entails re-setting the electronics.
Old 5th January 2017, 06:57   #2534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Also, I believe we shouldn't try getting Octavia A7 battery replaced with an aftermarket battery. Got my Exide battery (which was replaced under warranty) with an Amaron one, but this was probably a mistake, it led to all sorts of errors and 25 days in the service centre with coolant pump replacement. A-la-Big three kind of issue I think, where a battery change entails re-setting the electronics.
When a battery is disconnected and connected again, you see some errors on the instrument cluster like ESP, steering wheel error etc., but they go away once the car is started and moved. I have seen this on my Jetta. In the Polo GT TSi, the windows have to be manually opened and closed a couple of times for the one touch up/down to work. Otherwise, a battery change does not need any special error clearing operation. Did your SA specifically state that a battery replacement requires clearing errors at the workshop?

Also, I don't think a battery replacement would result in a coolant pump failure. Maybe this was a coincidence.

PS: I am stating these from my experience with the Jetta and Polo GT. It is quite possible that Octavia does require some special procedure for changing the battery.
Old 5th January 2017, 10:56   #2535
BHPian

I've replaced the OE battery on my Octavia with an aftermarket one at the local Exide dealer a year or so back. It was a straight forward swap. Disconnected the old battery and fixed the new one. No errors showed up.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks