Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 15:01   #2611
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

So did a lot of reading last night and am now sure that the Indian Octavia does not have DPF- so that ruled out the cause of high idle.

For those keen- if you have the code 0GG on the sticker in the owner manual- there is no DPF present.

DPF is 7GG
0GG is EU4 but no DPF

Dug further and found this very interesting article on electrical system management on the Jetta. It seems to be a electrical system management issue- the system senses the drop of battery volt below a certain level and increases the rpm accordingly- please read the aspect on power supply (page 25)

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/Misc...SSP_873403.pdf

Even on the Octavia TDi, I can confirm that the moment you release the brake, the rpm goes to 1000 and settles back at 750-800 when you press the brake pedal. Even though the 6 speed box is reliable, i generally shift to manual mode in super heavy traffic. Even this box up shifts to the second gear at speeds as low as 6/7kmph.

Sandeep: check this link- http://www.superskoda.com/scripts/zb...oZbozi&KID=659

Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 1st February 2017 at 15:24. Reason: Typo
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:03   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_hi_im View Post
Im due to receive my 1.8TSI Ambition Plus later next week (apparently Mumbai RTO is still grappling with coming to terms with their new online systems). The only colors available are White, Silver and Beige. Others are discontinued. Probably getting rid of the kits till the facelift is launched sometime later this year. My guess is it should be pre Diwali.
that's surprising. There are 4 colors available now in Octavia, White, Silver, Beige and Black. How come the dealer told you only 3. I just got the delivery of my black Octavia 1.8 tsi last month.
Old 1st February 2017, 17:30   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
that's surprising. There are 4 colors available now in Octavia, White, Silver, Beige and Black. How come the dealer told you only 3. I just got the delivery of my black Octavia 1.8 tsi last month.
Strange, however I anyways Silver so it was okay. I stand corrected though.
Old 1st February 2017, 17:42   #2614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a nice Skoda keychain? The new monochrome logo to be specific. Also any must have accessories to purchase for the Octavia or where I can shop online for accessories for it?
Hey Sandeep,

congratulations on the car. Meanwhile I was given this key chain by the dealer in Mumbai. It has the updated Skoda Logo on it.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_8316.jpg
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 21:34   #2615
BHPian

I wanted to understand the various changes that can be made via the VCDS cable. Is there a repository of changes that someone has put together in 1 post will be very greateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also wanted to buy one cable and if the good people here can help me with a link to aliexpress will be great. Will the cable work with the GT TSI, Vento TSI and the Octavia TSI?
Old 1st February 2017, 21:40   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Strange, however I anyways Silver so it was okay. I stand corrected though.

Congrats, silver is again a nice choice. Do post some pictures of the car when you get the delivery. Are you picking it up from Autobahn Skoda or JMD Skoda?
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:01   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to understand the various changes that can be made via the VCDS cable. Is there a repository of changes that someone has put together in 1 post will be very greateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

You can read all about the possible tweaks using the VCDS here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-thread.html
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:07   #2618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Local dealer your best bet but they have a .... charges for the bulkier items are a killer.
Awesome. Thank you! Will check it out surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post

Sandeep: check this link
Thanks Rohan. Seems interesting will check

Quote:
I too was told that all colours are available however in MY17 only. Perhaps the dealer told him the colours for MY16? My dealer didn't have MY16 at all.

Quote:
Hey Sandeep,

congratulations on the car. Meanwhile I was given this key chain by the dealer in Mumbai. It has the updated Skoda Logo on it.

Attachment 1602972
Thanks dude. Oh thats nice. Wonder why they didn't give anything with mine. Will be visiting them today so maybe I can ask and see if they had missed out. If not, will order it online from one of the sites that our fellow BHPians linked me

Navigation Feature Update - BTW for anyone here who still doesn't have clarity about the navigation feature being enabled for models prior to MY17. Apparently, its just an SD card itself as one member had mentioned earlier. I got delivery of my car on Monday but the SD card has just reached. The MY17 has 2 SD card slots out of which one can be used full time for the Navigation card. I believe that others too can use the same card to use navigation on their Octys. However, if there is just one slot then it might mean that you need to keep that in to enjoy navigation unless there is an install option. Will try it out today and let you guys know how it works exactly.

AFAIK, Skoda isn't selling these separately but maybe we can copy the contents onto a similar sized memory card and mimic the functionality.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd February 2017 at 12:28. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please stick to the rules of the board.
sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:17   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
Navigation Feature Update - BTW for anyone here who still doesn't have clarity about the navigation feature being enabled for models prior to MY17. Apparently, its just an SD card itself as one member had mentioned earlier.
AFAIK, Skoda isn't selling these separately but maybe we can copy the contents onto a similar sized memory card and mimic the functionality.
Not correct Sandeep. Its not just another SD card but an internal hardware update to the music system as well. So simply inserting the navigation SD card into the slot on old cars will not work. Additionally, from what i was reading on briskoda, its not possible to copy the maps to another SD card.

I have somehow managed to disable voice guided navigation and just not able to start it again- let me know in case you are able to solve this!

Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 2nd February 2017 at 12:17. Reason: Query added
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:25   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Not correct Sandeep. Its not just another SD card but an internal hardware update to the music system as well.
You are right Rohan. Sorry for the mistake. Just checked with my SA as well. Got my navigation SD card. Had a price of Rs 9999 on it which he claims that some dealers may charge for separately after selling the car. So anyone who is looking to buy one should make it clear that it will be provided free of charge.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20170202_142209.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20170202_142220.jpg

As for the voice guided navigation, I see a setting called Nav Announcements in the settings within the Nav feature that allows you to set the volume and other parameters. Did you check that already?
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:21   #2621
BHPian

Quote:

I too was told that all colours are available however in MY17 only. Perhaps the dealer told him the colours for MY16? My dealer didn't have MY16 at all.
Quite possible then, but also, the Octavia is available in Navigation as well as without navigation option in style plus variant.

Quote:

Thanks dude. Oh thats nice. Wonder why they didn't give anything with mine. Will be visiting them today so maybe I can ask and see if they had missed out. If not, will order it online from one of the sites that our fellow BHPians linked me
you should, initially, they were giving me just one key chain, err I shamelessly asked for one more

Adding to list of accessories that you asked in the earlier post,in-case you have kids at home, I would recommend buying the screen's for rear head rest which can play movies through various formats. It comes with DVD Player plus supports playing movies through USB and comes connected to the car audio setup. Below is the picture of the same for your reference. In-case you want to know the price, I can PM you. I got it done through the dealer and comes with the warranty. IIRC there were 2 models available, this one is 9 inch screen and the other one was 10 inch touch screen model. Since my kiddo is too small and keeps fiddling, I chose not to go for the touch screen model. Below is the picture of the model that I chose.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_7449.jpg

Also, guys I have one query about TPMS, variants with TPMS, especially the Style Plus Variant or Elegance Variant owners here, does the car specifically show tire pressure in which tire is low, or does it give generic alert as tire pressure low.

In my car whenever TPMS light lits up, a message pops up in MID as pressure loss in front right tire. However when I get the tire pressures checked, usually I have seen that the tire pressure in all the tires is one or two psi points low. So I am confused, why does TPMS shows only front right tire. In this situation, shouldn't it show tire pressure low, instead of mentioning any specific tire.

Till date, this has happened thrice, and all three occasions, MID showed Front Right Tire Pressure loss.

Last edited by sawnilrules : 2nd February 2017 at 15:46. Reason: Adding Accessory
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:37   #2622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Source? My own observation between driving a conventional Torque Converter AT and a DQ200 equipped DSG, in addition to my research online.

Here's a sample.

The next time you drive a TC AT, try keeping the foot on brakes, the transmission keeps fighting the brakes, this does not happen in a DSG equipped vehicle, atleast from VAG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
It's just like a manual. When you come to a full stop, the clutch has to be engaged or the engine will stall. Similarly the clutch is disengaged when you release the break in D mode.
If you observe in D mode when you are holding on to the brake in a signal, the RPM drops from around 1100 to 800. Then when you release the brake the RPM jumps to about 1100 and starts crawling forward.
I have both the Octavia diesel and Polo Tsi at home and both are very different especially when you set off after a complete stop. The DQ250 allows the clutch to slip when it's being disengaged, so the car can creep forward just like in a manual car.
The DQ200 being a dry clutch does not allow much slippage. So the clutch engagement is more ON/OFF and that's the reason in our stop and go traffic the DQ200 overheats more.
Thanks guys for pointing this out . I tried this last night in my Polo and observed the same. Here is the video (I have thanked both of you in the description):

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:12   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Navigation Feature Update - BTW for anyone here who still doesn't have clarity about the navigation feature being enabled for models prior to MY17. Apparently, its just an SD card itself as one member had mentioned earlier. I got delivery of my car on Monday but the SD card has just reached. The MY17 has 2 SD card slots out of which one can be used full time for the Navigation card. I believe that others too can use the same card to use navigation on their Octys. However, if there is just one slot then it might mean that you need to keep that in to enjoy navigation unless there is an install option. Will try it out today and let you guys know how it works exactly.

Rohan is right, you need new hardware including the dual SD card slot plus either this OEM Kenwood module (http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk...VN-MIB1/?view=) or the Skoda OEM equivalent.

Sandeep/Rohan: if you use Android phones will you check if Android Auto is working on your HUs? I am struggling with Android Auto and my multiple Samsung phones ever since the 6.0 update.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:04   #2624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my car whenever TPMS light lits up, a message pops up in MID as pressure loss in front right tire. However when I get the tire pressures checked, usually I have seen that the tire pressure in all the tires is one or two psi points low. So I am confused, why does TPMS shows only front right tire. In this situation, shouldn't it show tire pressure low, instead of mentioning any specific tire.

Till date, this has happened thrice, and all three occasions, MID showed Front Right Tire Pressure loss.
A small drop of 2-3 PSI is normal in tyres over a few days/weeks.

Maybe it is time to get your front right checked for a slow leak.... If the MID is always pointing out the front right as having a problem, then maybe there is a leak.

Take it to a tyre shop and ask them to check it thoroughly. What they should do is inflate it to 40 PSI and immerse it in a tub of water.... at 40 PSI, even the smallest leaks should show up.

Also check the neck/valve stem of the tyre. There might be a microscopic leak from there. Also check the valve pin inside the valve stem.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:32   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sandeep/Rohan: if you use Android phones will you check if Android Auto is working on your HUs? I am struggling with Android Auto and my multiple Samsung phones ever since the 6.0 update.
Unfortunately the entire family is uses iPhone and we have not faced any issue so far. Give me a day- will ask in office if someone has an android phone in office and will try. Anything specific you want me to check and look for?

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks