Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2018, 22:23   #3016
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Some small Aliexpress bric-a-brac for the car. Wifey is fed up :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20180304-10.06.53-pm.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-4.jpeg  

itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 10:22   #3017
BHPian

Does anyone know if Skoda service has actually improved, or is it still only on paper?

Also, what about the issues with DQ200? Have the problems with this gearbox been sorted out or is it still a Hit or Miss?
Old 5th March 2018, 10:56   #3018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
Also, what about the issues with DQ200? Have the problems with this gearbox been sorted out or is it still a Hit or Miss?
VAG has solved most of the issues with the DQ200 gear box by changing to mineral oil and regular software updates. Also, they always provide goodwill warranty in replacing the mechatronics if there is any issue. Having said that, the DQ200 being a dry clutch unit is not as trouble-free as the DQ250 wet clutch unit, and has its natural problems like heating up, clutch wear etc. So, you have to be mentally prepared for this as well.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 17:44   #3019
BHPian

Hi all. So my Octavia 2014 diesel has covered 69k kms. There has been a spurt in the last month all of a sudden and has led to a longer than usual mileage being covered. Infact have driven over 6000 kms in the last month itself and it was a month of only 28 days! Most of the running is happening on the Yamuna and Lucknow expressways so the car is frequently being driven non stop at high speeds. While this is doing wonders for the mileage (I get 20-22 kmpl) I'm staring to worry about what checkups should i concentrate on during the next service. My extended warranty is expiring this month. I have noticed a sound from the belt during cold starts sometimes and on sharp speed breakers sometimes there is a noise from the front suspension/shockers! My brake pads have been replaced only once at 45k kms at my insistence even though the workshop stated they were good for another 5-7k kms. Spark plugs have never been replaced yet. The ATF fluid was replaced during the last service.I replaced the key fob battery myself and just yesterday felt that the air flow had suddenly gone drastically down so decided to replace the cabin air filter myself (It was completely clogged, luckily i had the one kept from the previous service only because it had no dust at all in it, wonder why it was replaced in the first place if that was the case). I'm guessing clogged air filters could be one of the main reasons for previous gen skoda's having compressor failures. 10k kms is the maximum a car can go in our dusty conditions unless you're hands on with the upkeep of your car. My car is still running on Micheling Primacy tyres which I had replaced at around 22k kms and seeing the tread i think they are good for another 20k kms though I'm contemplating getting them replaced way earlier regardless because of my frequent expressway drives! Are there any specific points i should look out for during the next service?
Old 7th March 2018, 16:45   #3020
BHPian

Need Skoda's mgmt contact!
I have been facing issues with my car as you may notice from recent posts. The main problem is that the sole dealership in Kolkata has shut down with no concrete evidence of the new dealer (though some people say a new dealer is being appointed very soon).

I am facing trouble over to even have a word with these Skoda CustomerCare people.
My tweets generally ask for my contact details, and then questions remain unanswered. I get a mail and a contact details of representatives, which no one picks up.

Sharing the tweet : Twitter post to Skoda India

I plead members/admin to help me out to reach out the mgmt, so that my vehicle can be fixed asap.

Cheers!
A high-res copy of the image attached for the convenience of the members :
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screen-shot-20180307-9.48.42-am.png  

Old 7th March 2018, 18:18   #3021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Need Skoda's mgmt contact!
I have been facing issues with my car as you may notice from recent posts.

I am facing trouble over to even have a word with these Skoda CustomerCare people.

I plead members/admin to help me out to reach out the mgmt, so that my vehicle can be fixed asap.

Cheers!
Contact Mr ashutosh.dixit at skoda-auto.co.in - he heads sales and marketing for Skoda India.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2018 at 11:02. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 19:59   #3022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Hi all. So my Octavia 2014 diesel has covered 69k kms. There has been a spurt in the last month all of a sudden and has led to a longer than usual mileage being covered. Infact have driven over 6000 kms in the last month itself and it was a month of only 28 days! Most of the running is happening on the Yamuna and Lucknow expressways so the car is frequently being driven non stop at high speeds. While this is doing wonders for the mileage (I get 20-22 kmpl) I'm staring to worry about what checkups should i concentrate on during the next service. My extended warranty is expiring this month. I have noticed a sound from the belt during cold starts sometimes and on sharp speed breakers sometimes there is a noise from the front suspension/shockers!
For the alternator belt noise, I guess it is time you get it changed. Costs about Rs. 950. Is there a chic-chic sound during cold starts? That points to alternator belt wear.

Get the link rods checked on your car. They typically tend to wear out on VAG cars sooner. Also get the dampers checked for any sorts of leaks. Ask them to perform suspension lubrication at the next service. Will smoothen suspension travel. A suspension overhaul with the bushes and link rods would be around Rs. 7-8K on a Jetta. Should be similar for the Octavia too. Do note that shockers (dampers) are a lot more expensive at 7.5K a piece. (if there is a problem with them)

You don't need to do anything more except for the routine oil change and the likes that they always carry out. Its actually a good thing that the car spends time on the highway. Lesser stress on the engine and constant speeds with smooth roads are always welcome.

I don't think Skoda covers suspension under warranty. Its only valid for about 6 months and becomes a wear and tear item. But do push for warranty incase the repair bill for the suspension comes to a large amount. (such as the shocker or dampers).

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 7th March 2018 at 20:02.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 11:52   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree! The obvious dicey bits:

**AC slider controls. Very expensive and no warranty!

Any others?
itwasnt me any luck on the replacement for the AC knobs? I am facing the same issue, out of the four front vents of my Octavia 1.8Tsi AT 2014 Model, three have broken. I took up the issue with the local Skoda dealer here in Pune regarding the same, unfortunately the same isn’t covered in the warranty part of it. Poor quality interior fittings is the reason for these breakages. Did you manage to get the replaced under warranty?

The right scroll wheel of my stock steering wheel had broken as well, again the same wasn’t covered under the warranty. Asked them to change the scroll knobs and I was quoted a price of round about 16K since it comes in a pair(left and right knobs together) I junked the plan and ordered a steering wheel with paddle shifters online and got the same installed. The newer steering wheel seems more durable and of course comes with the flappy paddles(I customised them too, by getting extended paddled fitted, looks and feels pretty cool now )
Old 14th March 2018, 13:56   #3024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
itwasnt me any luck on the replacement for the AC knobs? I am facing the same issue, out of the four front vents of my Octavia 1.8Tsi AT 2014 Model, three have broken. I took up the issue with the local Skoda dealer here in Pune regarding the same, unfortunately the same isn’t covered in the warranty part of it. Poor quality interior fittings is the reason for these breakages. Did you manage to get the replaced under warranty?
No, no luck. I understand they uploaded the claim to Skoda and it was refused. Was too irritated and bemused to argue with them. Have left it like that; I ensure to mention it in EVERY conversation with colleagues and friends, AND I point out the missing sliders to anyone who gets into the car.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:57   #3025
BHPian

Just today morning while changing the direction of the driver side slider it just came off into my hand. The clip at the back looks pretty fragile and thin and i feel the heat here makes the plastic brittle over time because i definitely didn't exert any pressure as such especially since iv been reading about broken sliders in the forum. My car has just gotten over its extended warranty ten days back too so any way the claim if i could have managed is anyway impossible now. My slider though did hold on for far longer than quite a few people with newer machines on the forum. The car is now 4 years old with 72.5k kms on the clock.
Old 25th March 2018, 12:21   #3026

Hi there,
My 2014 Octavia is currently at 42k on the odo. One of my tyres has been repeatedly leaking over the years.Last week it sprung 3 leaks in the same area. Had it repaired and went for trip to Pune the next day. After reaching Pune, the tyre again was indicating a leak. Inflated to 40 psi and drove back. My garage guy says its better to replace the tyre.

As I am approaching 50K, I'd like to ask what would fellow BHPians recommend is a good replacement for the original Goodyears? I am told Pirelli P7s are great. Your experience and advice would be highly helpful.
Thanks.
Old 25th March 2018, 14:43   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgpal View Post
Hi

As I am approaching 50K, I'd like to ask what would fellow BHPians recommend is a good replacement for the original Goodyears? I am told Pirelli P7s are great. Your experience and advice would be highly helpful.

Thanks.

The stock Goodyears are not very good. I too faced multiple issues wit punctures and leaks happening regularly.
You can check out Yokohama tyres. I used Yokohama A 348 on my Skoda Yeti. They were fantastic in terms of grip, comfort and road noise. I went through 2 sets, covering a distance of 80 k kms. I change my tyres at 40k as a practice.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2018 at 11:03. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 25th March 2018, 15:15   #3028
BHPian

You could also try the new MRF Perfinza on the stock Octavia.

Nikhil has had an amazing experience on his Octavia vRS. Judging by the care he takes of his cars, he's a man really hard to please.

Nikhilb2008's review
Old 25th March 2018, 15:38   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Hi there,

My 2014 Octavia is currently at 42k on the odo. One of my tyres has been repeatedly leaking over the years.Last week it sprung 3 leaks in the same area. Had it repaired and went for trip to Pune the next day. After reaching Pune, the tyre again was indicating a leak. Inflated to 40 psi and drove back. My garage guy says its better to replace the tyre.
When you say leaks, are you saying tyre punctures or is it leaking between the edge of the tyre and rim? Is it possible you have a defective rim?

Best way to check whether it is the tyre or the rim is to interchange that tyre with another on your car.

Quote:
As I am approaching 50K, I'd like to ask what would fellow BHPians recommend is a good replacement for the original Goodyears? I am told Pirelli P7s are great. Your experience and advice would be highly helpful. Thanks.
I have a Jetta so the tyre specs are the same as that of the Octavia. My Jetta too came stock with 205/55/R16 Goodyear NCT 5 tyres which were pathetic in terms of ride & road noise. I changed to the Michelin PS3 in 225/50/R16 (because my car is remapped) else you can look at Michelins in the stock size. I love the Michelins; they are very grippy, very quiet and rides fantastically. BHPian 'iliketurtles' has used Pirelli on his Jetta and had a very disappointing experience as he encountered a lot of punctures. He believes the compound is too soft for Indian roads.
Old 27th March 2018, 17:21   #3030
sud
BHPian

So after 55K kms, got coolant level warning. The level went much below the minimum level. Topped it up with 750 ml of distilled water. On a quick inspection, I couldn't find any spillage in the engine bay area. Took it to service centre and as expected they confirmed it is a water pump failure.
I asked if it has spilled over any timing kit. But service advisor said that it has not affected any of that. Not sure if there is any way to verify this.

They are saying it will take about 3 days to fix the issue. :-(

Also the DRL conked off on RHS side couple of months back. My car is now in extended warranty (4 months into extended warranty). Waiting to see if they approve it under warranty. Earlier while in warranty period LHS side conked off and they replaced it. Seems like as per service advisor this DRL issue is prevalent in many cases.

Most Viewed