Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:39   #3256
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sharktale, frankly your case will not hold as it is 2 years old now. Better to escalate to Skoda aggressively and take the dealer to task concurrently. I just had my Octy's first water pump change at 3 years \ 42k km. Vinayak Skoda did the job well and requested to keep the car overnight to reconfirm no leakage from the cooling system. How can a newly changed pump leak out like this? Shoddy work done!
It is shoddy work done, agreed. However, from the 2nd instance I have been in constant communication with a Service personnel at Aurangabad HO. They say their technical central team is also involved.

However, this dealership is I guess resorting to lying now. They were trying to push a MH registered Laura (Owned by Skoda India) as a courtesy car, without having the state entry papers. When I raised a red flag, they said they did not know about this rule of new state validity for 1 year.

Also, earlier they said, they reported the car was not showing any error on the screen nor on the VCDS. However, when my chauffeur went in the evening to collect his belongings to comeback home from the Service Centre, It was still showing it! He snapped a picture and showed it to the SA, who just shrugged in denial.

Interestingly, this is a new and sole dealership in Kolkata opened a year back. I do not know how long will they be able to sustain these malpractices before something grave happens. I somehow THINK the central Skoda mgmt is involved too, as they are CCed in all mails, but the response is very cold from their end.

My father is really annoyed with this company and it's customer service. He's stated he's moving ahead with a legal notice, and will thus hope the court can grant him justice.

Wishing for support of members in this regard, in anyway possible.

I do not mean to berate Skoda or it's cars. However, please run a small check in this forum thread itself, and you'll understand the numerous issues I have faced in the car. It's very nerve-wracking and definitely not worth the money you are required to spend.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2019 at 08:42. Reason: Spacing
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 11:55   #3257
BHPian

Another highway run and another brilliant show by the Octavia. Having driven this car on highways for more than 10,000 kilometers, I can say with confidence that I don't miss the independent rear suspension of the Laura. On highways, this is just as good.

Mileage was phenomenal as always. This is the stat on the return trip.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia.jpg

The only issue that remains is the memory seat switch which i will be changing in the next 2 weeks. Happy to report that the Michelin P3ST are holding up really well with 47,000 km done on them. Looks like they will last easily till 60,000 km. Planning to install the foot-well lights soon and will update the thread when i do that.

Lighting at night on OEM bulbs is an issue for sure and i have started research on better bulbs. Upgrading the fogs to LED as well.

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 6th February 2019 at 12:10.
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 17:29   #3258
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here has gone for Bilsteins of any kind on their Mk3 Octavias?

I am exploring how to 'stiffen' the suspension as my TSI at 45K km seems more wallowy than when new, even with newish P3STs. Is it because the struts might be worn out? Apart from a creaking noise from the stabilizer link rods, my car is as silent as on day 1!

When do Octavias typically need a suspension overhaul anyway?

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th February 2019 at 17:31.
Old 15th February 2019, 22:24   #3259
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone here has gone for Bilsteins of any kind on their Mk3 Octavias?
Will there be any warranty issue on replacing to Bilsteins?
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 23:39   #3260
BHPian

I think it's actually the DQ250 gearbox in 1.8tsi, 250 being the max torque the gearbox can handle. DQ250 is the more problematic afaik.
Old 16th February 2019, 02:41   #3261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
I think it's actually the DQ250 gearbox in 1.8tsi, 250 being the max torque the gearbox can handle. DQ250 is the more problematic afaik.

Nope.
DQ200 (7 speed):
- Dry clutch
- Max torque rated as 250 NM
- Powers Polo/Ameo/Rapid/Vento/Octavia petrol/Superb petrol

DQ250 (6 speed):
- Wet clutch
- Max torque rated as 400 NM
- Powers Octavia diesel/ Passat and Superb diesels

DQ380 (6 speed):
- Wet clutch
- Max torque rated as 450 NM
- Powers Octavia VRS

DQ500 (7 speed):
- Wet clutch
- Max torque rated as 500+ NM
- Powers Tiguan/Kodiaq
Waspune is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 09:30   #3262
BHPian

Uodated further

DQ200 (7 speed):
- Dry clutch
- Max torque rated as 250 NM
- Powers Polo/Ameo/Rapid/Vento/Octavia petrol 1.8 tsi/Superb petrol 1.8tsi

DQ 250 (6 speed):
- Wet clutch
- Max torque rated as 400 NM
- Powers Octavia/ jetta diesel/ Passat, Superb diesels and Octavia vRS 230 petrol

DQ380 (6 speed):
- Wet clutch
- Max torque rated as 450 NM
- Powers Octavia VRS 245 petrol

Last edited by zebo : 16th February 2019 at 09:35.
zebo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 19:40   #3263
BHPian

Came across this news article : Skoda cars offering 6 Year / 150k kms warranty as a new initiative. Existing owners too get the benefit if they are covered under the 4 yr warranty package.

"Skoda Shield Plus six-year warranty aims to make ownership a hassle-free experience. The offer is part of Skoda's 'INDIA 2.0' customer-centric approach"

"Skoda Shield Plus*offers extended warranty for 5th and 6th year or 1,50,000 km (whichever is earlier) on all Skoda cars on sale in the country. It also includes Skoda Assist, which takes care of 24 x 7 Road Side Assistance (RSA) for 5th and 6th year."

"The new Shield Plus package is accessible to existing customers whose cars are covered in the four-year warranty program. Shield Plus brings together benefits, value for money and prompt personal service when claims are involved"

"Zac Hollis, Director – Sales, Service, and Marketing, Skoda Auto India Pvt Ltd said, "Skoda Shield Plus is a unique offering in the Indian automotive industry. It is designed to ensure owning a Skoda is a hassle-free and an enjoyable experience. It ascertains that 'Peace of Mind comes standard with a Skoda'."

https://www.rushlane.com/skoda-5-yr-...-12297902.html
Old 19th February 2019, 20:55   #3264
sud
BHPian

Yesterday while driving back noticed the engine temperature raising to 130 and AC cutting off. On further checking, the coolant completely got emptied. Today service centre diagnosed as water pump failure. This is 2nd time water pump is failing. The last one was replaced at ~55K kms. Now it is at ~75K kms. It just lasted for 20K kms

Also since it is due for regular 75K kms service, I asked them to inspect link rods. After inspection, they recommended changing link rods and lower arm bush (as it is cut). Estimate given is around 15K. This is the first major expense which is not covered under warranty.

Looks like another few days of idling at service centre.
Old 20th February 2019, 11:29   #3265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
The last one was replaced at ~55K kms. Now it is at ~75K kms. It just lasted for 20K kms
Do ask them this time round to check the thermostat housing. It comes in a plastic enclosure and is not of the highest build quality. After twice replacing the water pump in my car, it was diagnosed that actually the coolant is leaking from thermostat too.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:01   #3266
BHPian

Quote:

Looks like another few days of idling at service centre.
Am really sorry for your car facing similar issues.

My car has gone for the 4th time to the Service centre for the same coolant issues as yours in a matter of 1.5 years.
This time, a flying doctor apparently has come down to the plant to diagnose the issue.
Car is in the service centre for over 7 days now.

Skoda India and the dealer have been sent a legal notice for shoddy car and mental harassment to consumer, to which Skoda India has given a lame standard reply of total denial. Will take legal action in due course, if necessary.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:32   #3267
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
My car has gone for the 4th time to the Service centre for the same coolant issues as yours in a matter of 1.5 years.
This time, a flying doctor apparently has come down to the plant to diagnose the issue.
Car is in the service centre for over 7 days now.
This is really ridiculous that you have to go thro' the recurring issue with such high frequency. I am really wondering if it is the quality of the parts issue or the lack of knowledge at the service centre to diagnose/fix the core issue.
Old 21st February 2019, 10:54   #3268
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Do ask them this time round to check the thermostat housing. It comes in a plastic enclosure and is not of the highest build quality. After twice replacing the water pump in my car, it was diagnosed that actually the coolant is leaking from thermostat too.
@adi_petrolhead, great thanks for this note. After I informed my SA to check specifically on this, now they came back and said both water pump and the thermostat has problem. They are replacing both under extended warranty.
Old 21st February 2019, 16:33   #3269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@adi_petrolhead, great thanks for this note. After I informed my SA to check specifically on this, now they came back and said both water pump and the thermostat has problem. They are replacing both under extended warranty.

That should be the end of water leakage issues period. Just ensure they do a good enough job, ask them to change the elbow hose also as its prone to cracking once they open it for inspection, also getting a new expansion tank along with these makes sense. That way you'll have an almost all new cooling system in place. It's just 2k for the tank in case they don't claim warranty for it.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 17:15   #3270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
That should be the end of water leakage issues period. Just ensure they do a good enough job, ask them to change the elbow hose also as its prone to cracking once they open it for inspection, also getting a new expansion tank along with these makes sense. That way you'll have an almost all new cooling system in place. It's just 2k for the tank in case they don't claim warranty for it.
Wish I knew these when they changed my water pump couple of months back.

Will call and check if they did check the thermostat and elbow pipe.

Most Viewed