Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2019, 00:09   #3316
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Update: I took the delivery of my 1.8 TSI magic black Octavia.
Congratulations!

Quote:
Owners, can you tell me what's the precautions to be followed during running in period? My sales rep told me not to redline but another sales rep told not to cross 3k rpm. I'm confused.
Please help.
Read the manual.

German/VAG car manuals are very detailed.
Old 24th March 2019, 06:10   #3317
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2019 at 07:07.
Sanjeev911 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th March 2019, 07:06   #3318
Distinguished - BHPian

Great, pictures please!

Being a DSG, you have little control over the shift RPM as the DSG will shift as per the inbuilt logic. Just avoid aggressive starts and manueovres and avoid Sports mode. Easy to say but difficult to resist :-)
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 07:39   #3319
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Update: I took the delivery of my 1.8 TSI magic black Octavia.

Owners, can you tell me what's the precautions to be followed during running in period? My sales rep told me not to redline but another sales rep told not to cross 3k rpm. I'm confused.
Please help.
Congratulations and best wishes to crunch lot of happy miles. Don't rev her hard during initial ~1000kms. As @itwasntme pointed out, avoid using sports mode during this period as the downshifts are way too aggressive. Let us see how monk you can be
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 09:46   #3320
BHPian

Thank you @itwasntme and @sud.

I did my first highway run today morning till hotel Srikrishna Inn after Hosur. I agree that is it difficult not to rev hard but still kept it under 3k. Didn't use sports mode either. However, tried manual mode using paddle shifters and it was awesome.
Set the Cruise control at 95 kmph for 40-50% if the distance and overall FE was 15 kmpl.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 13:37   #3321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @itwasntme and @sud.

I did my first highway run today morning till hotel Srikrishna Inn after Hosur. I agree that is it difficult not to rev hard but still kept it under 3k. Didn't use sports mode either. However, tried manual mode using paddle shifters and it was awesome.
Set the Cruise control at 95 kmph for 40-50% if the distance and overall FE was 15 kmpl.
Monkish is a difficult state to reach with that Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde engine . Pictures!!!!

By the way, is your passenger seat electrically operated or manual? See this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4562258 (A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking)

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th March 2019 at 13:43.
Old 24th March 2019, 16:19   #3322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Monkish is a difficult state to reach with that Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde engine . Pictures!!!!

By the way, is your passenger seat electrically operated or manual? See this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4562258 (A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking)
It think it comes with L&K. Mine is Style and does not come with passenger electrical operated seats.

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190320_1543522.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190320_152612__01.jpg  

Last edited by Lambydude : 24th March 2019 at 16:20.
Lambydude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 18:41   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Even then, I have been hearing minor noises from the DSG especially 3-4 & 4-5 when I lift off after initial quick acceleration. Don't know that cause but hope it is not a sign that it will fail totally.

Will ask for a detailed check during upcoming 3 year service.
Hi @itwasntme,
I remembered this post from a few months back and was wondering how's the gearbox holding up ? No news is good news i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I booked the 1.8 TSI L&K at Vinayak, Sadashivnagar and have been given a tentative date of mid-April for delivery. OTR agreed upon was 29.5L including the default insurance and excluding the drive assure and service bundles. Yet to discuss on insurance and any optimisation of extras.
Congratulations on the booking @nma83.
Would you mind sharing if you negotiated any discounts ? I am very close to finalizing the deal. Thanks.
Old 25th March 2019, 21:00   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Congratulations on the booking @nma83.
Would you mind sharing if you negotiated any discounts ? I am very close to finalizing the deal. Thanks.
Thanks! I got 50K discount + 10K handling charge waiver + 25K 'loyalty' discount (based on my Rapid ownership).

And I have been told that my L&K will come with electrically operated passenger seat in addition to the virtual cockpit.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 21:26   #3325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Thanks! I got 50K discount + 10K handling charge waiver + 25K 'loyalty' discount (based on my Rapid ownership).

And I have been told that my L&K will come with electrically operated passenger seat in addition to the virtual cockpit.
Thank you for the swift reply.
One follow up query would be whether you have paid only the booking amount or the full amount upfront ?

The dealer i have been interacting with hinted at an imminent price increase in April and is pushing me to make the complete payment to get a "deal". I haven't' come across any news article/rumor suggesting a price increase so a bit confused how to proceed.
Old 25th March 2019, 21:48   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Thank you for the swift reply.
One follow up query would be whether you have paid only the booking amount or the full amount upfront ?

The dealer i have been interacting with hinted at an imminent price increase in April and is pushing me to make the complete payment to get a "deal". I haven't' come across any news article/rumor suggesting a price increase so a bit confused how to proceed.
I just paid a small booking amount. But have been told to be ready for any price increase in April. I am not sure how true that is, to the dealer's credit they have not pushed me for making the complete payment now (which is of course ill advised).
Old 26th March 2019, 19:47   #3327
sud
BHPian

During the last service my SA told me that the battery is showing signs of weakness and it won't be covered under warranty. I decided to get it replaced outside as I can get 4 year warranty compared to 1 year warranty when purchased from Skoda. It has gone into back my mind, until today morning when the machine wouldn't come to life. But thank God, after switching of DRL's and head lamps it came to life. Relief!

I got dilemma between Amaron vs Exide. Nearby dealer recommended Amaron because as per him both are of same quality but Amaron warranty claims are easier. After some googling, decided to go with Amaron AAM-FL-566112060. I paid Rs. 5700 for the same. Online stores were offering around Rs. 450 cheaper. But for the constraint of time went ahead with nearby store.

Battery log:
1. Month 0 - OEM SeBang Battery [Made in Korea]
2. Month 18 - Replaced by Skoda under warranty to Exide [Made in India]
3. Month 40 - Replaced to Amaron [Made in India] (AAM-FL-566112060) from outside.
Old 26th March 2019, 20:41   #3328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
I got dilemma between Amaron vs Exide.

Battery log:
1. Month 0 - OEM SeBang Battery [Made in Korea]
2. Month 18 - Replaced by Skoda under warranty to Exide [Made in India]
3. Month 40 - Replaced to Amaron [Made in India] (AAM-FL-566112060) from outside.
Sud, I am also in the 40 month league . with the same log as yours. Are there any fitment issues with the Amaron? I remember my Cruze had a strange battery with built-in extras which precluded most aftermarket batteries.
Old 26th March 2019, 21:15   #3329
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Sud, I am also in the 40 month league . with the same log as yours.
Do you already see any signs of weakness like slow cranking? After my first experience of fully dead battery, I got a jumper cable and kept in the car.

Quote:
Are there any fitment issues with the Amaron? I remember my Cruze had a strange battery with built-in extras which precluded most aftermarket batteries.
Amaron fitted perfectly fine. Hardly took 5 minutes to remove and replace.
Old 26th March 2019, 22:23   #3330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Do you already see any signs of weakness like slow cranking? After my first experience of fully dead battery, I got a jumper cable and kept in the car.
Nopes, no signs yet.

But concerned! Wife will tie the jumper cables around my neck and ask me to swing if any breakdown happens impacting her
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed