Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2019, 21:55   #3586
sud
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitshetty View Post
After 4 years of relatively smooth ownership, I am now facing several failures in my Octavia 1.8 TSI. The big one is the coolant leakage which requires them to replace the thermostat and the water pump. ( From the other messages on this thread looks like most TSI owners have faced this issue.) Unfortunately my 4 Year extended warranty ended in May-2019 and they are asking me to pay 53K including labor !!! I have done only 25K KMs so far!!

Does anyone on this thread have any information on the price.

I am also facing issues with the ABS sensor (i faced this issue last year as well and they replaced it under extended warranty) which will cost an additional 8K and Air Con leakage which the SA mentioned the company will cover.

While Its been a super fun car to drive and I have enjoyed driving my Octavia I am starting to regret my decision. feels like this is going to be the beginning of many more visits to the Service Center...
You should definitely ask your SA to check with Skoda for a good will replacement of water pump as the extended warranty has just got over.
Old 5th August 2019, 12:44   #3587
BHPian

So glad to see these posts! I was looking at a July 2016 Style Plus 1.8 TSI, also in Delhi, and the pointers here would really help in negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi guys i was looking out for a at sedan had zeroed in on either the city or verna . However was looking out for a used 1.8tsi octavia as well, have found a used 2015 elegance 1.8tsi with 50k on the odo completely scratchless car. Should i be looking out for something in this car.
1. I am Least bothered about the f.e
2. My only concern is reliability and a.s.s from
Skoda

Also what would be a reasonable price for this car its delhi registered white colour?

Also can i get the extended 6 year warranty on this car or is that only for new cars now ?

Cheers
Mayank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Is the car still under 4 year warranty? Then you may be able to buy the extended warranty for 2 more years. It will cost you around 60k. Please do check with the dealer first.

In my opinion, you shouldn't spend more than 10 lacs for the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Cannot comment on the ideal DEL price but check if the DSG has already been changed once or not. Similarly LED DRLs are showing any signs of yellowing or whether they have been changed either. Rest of the TSi's faults are known like creaking sunroof, squeaky door beadings, water pump / thermostat failure, stabilizer link rods replacement and AC compressor.

These are not huge expenses usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automagical View Post
5th and 6th Year extended warranty is only applicable to Skoda cars sold after 1st September 2016.

2015 delivered cars would not be eligible for it.

In my opinion, if you are getting the 2015 car under INR 11 Lac, go for it.
Warranty anyways would have costed INR 60K
DSG would be replaced mostly under goodwill but even if you consider INR 1.5 lac for it, its a decent deal in my opinion.

Also, I think 5th and 6th year warranty cover lesser things compared to normal 4 year warranty.
Most of the usual culprits like water pump etc are now much cheaper anyways.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:06   #3588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
One of mine conked-off during warranty they replaced it without hassle. But other one conked-off shortly after the warranty and they made so much fuss. After some mail exchanges with Skoda, they covered 70% of the cost. I wish you luck to get 100% like @shreyak_ss.

I wish Skoda make a change in their warranty terms to cover the DRL's. It is so expensive to fix it as you have to replace the entire unit.
What was the cost at 100%?
Old 8th August 2019, 12:41   #3589
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
What was the cost at 100%?
It will cost you about ~25K including labour.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 13:26   #3590
BHPian

Also does anyone recommend changing the tyres to 204/60 r16 just for a better ground clearance? Or would the ~3% variation be too much or cause issues to the shocks of the vehicle.

I am selling my 2006 octavia rider and going to get a 2015 octavia elegance tdi that has done about 95000km and just wanted to make sure of the tyre size as those would need replacement. It's getting out of warranty and when I checked with skoda they said only vehicles bought after Sept 2016 will get the 2 additional year warranty.

So just wanted to make sure I do it right reading all your posts and the costs seem exhoribant. But having owned the rider for 7 years I am a die hard octavia fan...
Old 8th August 2019, 14:00   #3591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitshetty View Post
After 4 years of relatively smooth ownership, I am now facing several failures in my Octavia 1.8 TSI. The big one is the coolant leakage which requires them to replace the thermostat and the water pump. ( From the other messages on this thread looks like most TSI owners have faced this issue.) Unfortunately my 4 Year extended warranty ended in May-2019 and they are asking me to pay 53K including labor !!! I have done only 25K KMs so far!!

Does anyone on this thread have any information on the price.

I am also facing issues with the ABS sensor (i faced this issue last year as well and they replaced it under extended warranty) which will cost an additional 8K and Air Con leakage which the SA mentioned the company will cover.

While Its been a super fun car to drive and I have enjoyed driving my Octavia I am starting to regret my decision. feels like this is going to be the beginning of many more visits to the Service Center...
Sorry to hear about your troubles but this is exactly where the extended warranty comes into play. I have done the same for my 2015 VW Jetta DSG which is currently running on it 5th year of extended warranty. Even though I have never had any issues during the years except for a couple of wheel speed sensor failures, I believe it is well worth it to buy the extended warranty post 04 years.

See if you can speak to the dealer and request if all or part of the bill can be covered under 'Goodwill Warranty'.
Old 8th August 2019, 14:13   #3592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also does anyone recommend changing the tyres to 204/60 r16 just for a better ground clearance? Or would the ~3% variation be too much or cause issues to the shocks of the vehicle.
I believe the stock size is 205/55/R16

Quote:
So just wanted to make sure I do it right reading all your posts and the costs seem exhoribant. But having owned the rider for 7 years I am a die hard octavia fan...
The two options would be 215/55/R16 OR 225/50/R16 (Almost Stock Size - Can be considered if car is remapped)

215/55/R16 = Wider tires by 10 mm, higher ground clearance by 7 mm,

225/50/R16 = Wider tires by 20 mm, higher ground clearance by 00 mm
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 14:21   #3593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I believe the stock size is 205/55/R16

Yep stock is 205/55 r16. Was thinking if 205/60 r16 would be ok?

The two options would be 215/55/R16 OR 225/50/R16 (Almost Stock Size - Can be considered if car is remapped)

215/55/R16 = Wider tires by 10 mm, higher ground clearance by 7 mm,

225/50/R16 = Wider tires by 20 mm, higher ground clearance by 00 mm
OK so you wouldn't recommend 205/60 r16? A friend said he had done so but when I saw the 3% error was not sure if it was OK to do.
Old 8th August 2019, 14:51   #3594
Distinguished - BHPian

A few thoughts:

1. There is no way to extend the 4 year EW for pre-Sep 2016 Skodas. Informally, Skoda will cover known issues like DSG & partially for water pump/thermostat on a case by case basis.
2. 3% error doesn't really mean anything more than a speedometer giving wrong readings
3. 225/50/R16 will be ideal but lower your fuel efficiency. Plus they are difficult to source for some weird reason.
4. For 205/60/R16, the CG & body roll will increase due to the increased ride height but can be corrected by buying premium tyres like the Michelin P4ST.

Suggest that unless grip and ride height are paramount, just invest in a set of 205/55/R16 P3STs or even MRF Perfinzas which will do the job very well.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 15:26   #3595
Senior - BHPian

I'm guessing it'll be a lot easier to source the Primacy 4ST 205/55/16 stock. Its just about INR 9000/tyre. I think that the P4ST is one of the best comfort and grip combo oriented tyre available from Michelin right now. Never used any other make since last 7 years, so can't compare them with other brands. Also to mention the fact I'm currently running the Pilot Sports 3ST (third set after the stock tyres) on my car in 225/50/16. Back then P4ST wasn't available and they don't make it in 225 section for 16" wheels. I still find its a great tyre and I'm happy with the wet grip, something that was totally missing from the stock tyres, and improved braking. It won't be a huge drop in fuel efficiency if one goes with 225 tyres, only thing stock wheels will have a huge lip as the rims are only 6.5" where as 225 needs minimum 7" width rim to accommodate perfectly.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 16:48   #3596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK so you wouldn't recommend 205/60 r16? A friend said he had done so but when I saw the 3% error was not sure if it was OK to do.
Quote:
2. 3% error doesn't really mean anything more than a speedometer giving wrong readings
It is recommended to keep the error with in 3%. I remember reading somewhere that higher errors can lead to brake failure. I am not sure of the facts though.

Quote:
A few thoughts:

1. There is no way to extend the 4 year EW for pre-Sep 2016 Skodas. Informally, Skoda will cover known issues like DSG & partially for water pump/thermostat on a case by case basis.
Maybe, but it would be better to find out.

Quote:
3. 225/50/R16 will be ideal but lower your fuel efficiency. Plus they are difficult to source for some weird reason.
Hence I mentioned that it would be recommended only if the car is remapped. I have this size on my remapped Jetta. But even then I don't believe the drop in fuel efficiency will be drastic. The 2.0 engine is fantastic in the torque department.

Quote:
4. For 205/60/R16, the CG & body roll will increase due to the increased ride height but can be corrected by buying premium tyres like the Michelin P4ST.
I agree to the body roll but not sure about the correction part. Doubt it can be corrected other that a recommended size.

Quote:
Suggest that unless grip and ride height are paramount, just invest in a set of 205/55/R16 P3STs or even MRF Perfinzas which will do the job very well.
Yes, makes more sense to stick to stock size with better quality tires. The stock Goodyears are terrible!!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 20:58   #3597
Senior - BHPian

Just stick to stock size in Michelin Primacy 4, if you have stock wheels. If you plan to upgrade the wheels to 17" post warranty period then makes sense to wait and go for 225/45/17 or 225/50/17 (know someone running this set up and is safe) Pilot Sports 4. Forget about the error, GC, anything else. These are tried and tested upgrades. Enjoy the new purchase!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 09:48   #3598
sud
BHPian

Personally for the piece of mind, I would stick with 205 / 55 / R16 or 225 / 50 / R16. The issue with 225/50/R16 is, you have few very choices. I don't know why Michelin decided to drop this size in PS4.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 10:02   #3599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
The issue with 225/50/R16 is, you have few very choices.
Agree, 225/50/16 is the orphan size no one wants to manufacture. Currently, only Continental seems to have them available in the MC5 series but unsure of manufacturing date. IF by bad luck you are forced to replace a tyre due to a mishap, getting a matching one could be difficult.

Stick to P4ST in 205/55/16.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 11:43   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It won't be a huge drop in fuel efficiency if one goes with 225 tyres, only thing stock wheels will have a huge lip as the rims are only 6.5" where as 225 needs minimum 7" width rim to accommodate perfectly.
The maximum tyre width that can be accomodated safely on x6.5" rims, is 215mm - this is what is present on the Superb.
I would not recommend using 225 section tyres on 6.5" rims, need to get 7" rims for that.
In the Superb Style, Skoda cuts corners by giving 17x6.5J rims, while L&K gets 17x7J. So tyre width upgrades for my car, will necessitate rim upgrade :(
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed