Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2019, 07:30   #3706
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Colours currently offered on the L&K (as per the dealer) are white, black, grey, beige and silver. Anyone seen a beige Octy yet? And are the colours actually limited to these shades now?
There was a rapid of the same colour (beige) in the showroom what with all the lights to enhance the looks. Just wondering how it’ll look in natural lighting.
Here you go: Suhaas307's Cappuccino Beige 1.8

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ly-clever.html (Our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Were we 'Simply Clever'?)
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 09:49   #3707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Congratulations on the car buddy.
Can you please share what was the discount offered?
About the colors, there is new maple brown color mentioned in the brochure I have attached. It is a new color and will have certain exclusivity. You might want to consider that.

I would also like to know why you went for the L&K variant. L&K costs 3.3 lakhs on road more than the Style. Additional features are - sunroof, virtual cockpit, better speakers, rear side airbags - all good to have but the price difference looks very steep to me.

About the loans, go for a floating one as interest rates are in a downward direction.
Thanks!
Discount on the L&K on paper looks like a straight 2 lac from the dealer. I’ve not “pushed enough” per se, but then this looks like a sweet deal too.

Maple brown-Noted! I’ll ask him today, but I doubt he has it in stock. As of now he says delivery expected in ten days for these colours!!

About the L&K variant - I had walked in for the superb MT. Considering that’s not available anymore, and I was ready to give away 30+ I guess it’s just blind excitement. Considering the features you’ve mentioned (and not to mention the unreliable park assist) I agree these are just whistles and gimmicks which do not really add any value to the performance of the car. He also says the other variants are available in November for delivery.(Another non performing gimmick!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thank you! Looks sharp! I love the pre FL looks!
Old 7th October 2019, 11:17   #3708
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
I guess it’s just blind excitement. Considering the features you’ve mentioned (and not to mention the unreliable park assist) I agree these are just whistles and gimmicks which do not really add any value to the performance of the car.
The navigation, better alloys, TPMS, Anti theft alarm, Electronic passenger seat, ambient lighting, luggage hooks in the boot (very helpful so far), side parking sensors.

Sure can live without all of these, but these put a smile on your face every time you drive for the next xx years, well worth the 3L.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 12:19   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
The navigation, better alloys, TPMS, Anti theft alarm, Electronic passenger seat, ambient lighting, luggage hooks in the boot (very helpful so far), side parking sensors.

Sure can live without all of these, but these put a smile on your face every time you drive for the next xx years, well worth the 3L.
I guess everyone's need and priorities are different. Let me go through the things mentioned above
Navigation - Android auto and Google Maps is the best possible navigation system. Who cares about in-built navigation?
Better alloys - subjective. I find both the alloys in Style and L&K super boring.
TPMS - useful feature. I will probably fit external one, will cost 5K-10K.
Electronic passenger seat - This feature is present in the new style/Onyx variants as per the brochure. However, I think this is not needed as long as we have mechanical adjustments for the passenger seat.
Ambient lighting - present in the style variant.
Luggage hooks - not sure what's the difference, not a decisive feature anyways
Side parking sensors - I don't have any experience with these. I can't think why these are needed anyways apart from the auto parking system (which itself is not very reliable).

As I said, main reasons for getting the L&K could be the sunroof or the virtual cockpit. However, the price difference is too steep. Obviously, if you have the budget, go for the top end always. But for someone like me with a strict budget of 25 lakhs, stretching further for the L&K is not making sense (Onroad price in Hyderabad is 27.8 lakhs including 5th&6th year warranty)
--------------

On a separate note, I have been reading a lot on the internet about DQ200 gearbox used in the Octavia.
Seems like some of the earlier issues have been addressed by VW/Skoda. However, there are still lots of gearbox issues being reported in this forum and elsewhere.
I know this is absolutely the best gearbox for driving pleasure but this is like a ticking time bomb which can go off any time.
Somehow, I am finding it difficult to convince myself to put my hard earned money on this knowing that it is likely to fail sooner than later and then all the hassles getting that fixed?
How do you guys get the courage to take this risk?
Seems like going for the diesel auto or petrol 1.4 manual is a safer option.

Last edited by adimicra : 7th October 2019 at 12:43.
Old 7th October 2019, 15:32   #3710
BHPian

Quote:
How do you guys get the courage to take this risk?
By driving it!!

Needs and priorities as you’ve rightly mentioned plays a big role.
I, for one, am a big fan of the TSi + DSG combo. With the GT TSi doing its 5th (hassle free) year, this is going to be the 2nd sibling.
Ofcourse there’s no promise of it all being free of hassles, but the sheer performance takes the thought away!

It’s a mixed bag when it comes to choosing between the L&K and the Style. Perspective really.

Anyway, I’m done with the booking now, and with the offered choices of colours I’ve gone in for the grey eventually.
Hope to have my hands on it soon enough!(I’ve been promised for the 16th)
Old 7th October 2019, 17:00   #3711
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Side parking sensors - I don't have any experience with these. I can't think why these are needed anyways apart from the auto parking system (which itself is not very reliable).
:( guess you'll never find out.

Quote:
I know this is absolutely the best gearbox for driving pleasure but this is like a ticking time bomb which can go off any time.
Well, then I'm sitting with 2 time bombs. GT TSI at 65k kms and out of warranty.

Things do go wrong, sometimes more with this gearbox than with others, but unfortunately, reading online only gives you the negative perspective, very similar to reading about diseases using google search.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 19:57   #3712
BHPian

Quote:
Since the octy was my first D segment car, the side sensors proved invaluable during the initial few weeks while getting used to the car's size. They are not just for parking, but are active at all times and give ample warning about obstacles. Recently, I have them useful while taking tight turns, and have squeezed through gaps I wouldn't have dared to without the sensors.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 11:58   #3713
Senior - BHPian

As per the dealership here, there is not much of Octavia in stock - only limited colors and variants available. And the new batch of cars as per the brochure above including the ONYX variant have not yet been received. Also, there is no clarity on when these new cars will be available. If anyone has any updates, please do share.

Also, the BS6 plans for Octavia and the Skoda/VW cars in general are not clear at all. Will they be updating the diesel engines? Will they make the existing petrol engines BS6 complaint or get the new 1.5TSI/2.0 TSI engines?
Old 9th October 2019, 21:01   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the BS6 plans for Octavia and the Skoda/VW cars in general are not clear at all. Will they be updating the diesel engines? Will they make the existing petrol engines BS6 complaint or get the new 1.5TSI/2.0 TSI engines?
The 2.0 diesel would be updated to BS6 norms for sure.I don't think VW group has any other diesel engine to plonk in the midsize segment

The 1.8 TSI would be retired and replaced by a 1.0TSI,1.5TSI motor and 2.0TSI with two states of tune.For India,I expect them to launch the 1.5TSI and 2.0TSI(lower state of tune).

https://www.motor1.com/news/374847/2...thing-we-know/
Old 10th October 2019, 12:11   #3715
BHPian

Some further updates on the Onyx Model:
  • The black interiors are confirmed to be standard leather seats and not Alcantara.
  • The ex-showroom price is confirmed to be INR 19,99,599 for 1.8TSI DSG and 21,99,599 for the 2.0TDI DSG.
  • Wait period of around 2-4 weeks as of today as per the dealer in Bangalore, though they haven't confirmed when would it be available in the showrooms to have a check.

No specific discounts on Onyx as yet - though there could definitely be scope for loyalty and corporate discounts once you get to the table and I assume then some more, as Octavia is really at the fag end of its lifecycle.
Old 10th October 2019, 17:04   #3716
Distinguished - BHPian

Some snaps of the Octavia Onyx here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4672662 (Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th October 2019 at 07:59. Reason: Removing duplicate pics and giving link to the other thread. Thanks!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 18:04   #3717
BHPian

Why are companies launching new BS4 models right now when they'll have to launch BS6 variants in a few months or stop selling these?
Old 10th October 2019, 18:21   #3718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Finally some pictures! Sincere thanks to Shankar (TAFE Access, St. Mark's Road - BLR)!
I don't think black alloys on blue car look as good as a silver or a bronze alloy.
Hells Bells is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 18:36   #3719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Why are companies launching new BS4 models right now when they'll have to launch BS6 variants in a few months or stop selling these?
Stock clearance of BS-IV vehicles. Not much effort required to 'launch' this Onyx variant. It will sell out quickly in my opinion!
Old 11th October 2019, 16:49   #3720
BHPian

New Purchase

Hi All,
I am planning to upgrade from my Honda Jazz and the most likely option is the Octavia TDI Style Manual Variant.

I am keen to go for manual transmission as I really feel disconnected from the driving experience in the Auto. The major requirement from the new car is medium to long distance trips (500-700 kms) with family to tourist destinations and far more importantly the performance from the car which I am missing in the Jazz which is highly under -powered.

I was considering the Jeep Compass Diesel also as an option. However with many stories of reliability and quality issues, I have almost decided to discard this option.

Here are some of my queries which the Octavia owners may be able to answer.

1)How good/suitable is the Octavia for long distance trips and how practical/comfortable it is to manoeuvre and park the car in tight spaces and crowded tourist spots?

2)How is the NVH level in the TDI post 100 km per hour?

3)Many reviewers mentioned regarding chances of stalling the engine at low speeds in the TDI Manual Transmission if you are not maintaining the rpm above certain threshold. I would like to know how serious or trivial this is.

Thanks and Regards,

Sumesh

Last edited by Sumesh_Jazz : 11th October 2019 at 16:57.
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed