Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:32   #3811

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 773.raviteja View Post
The car looks absolutely stunning!!

If possible can you please share how much did it cost for the PPF? Did you go for the entire car or only certain panels?
I did the XPEL Ultimate plus PPF and for the whole car and all panels in single piece and no joints. It works to around ₹2 Lakhs. No compromise, covered the headlights and tail lights as well.

XPEL Ultimate Plus is self healing and does not yellow. The best part is easy to clean and DIY maintenance. You can just use Jopasu Duster and occasional water wash. I am at peace because PPF will protect stone chips, sand and bird / tree saps.
cartographer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 16:42   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I believe the VIN is stamped when a chassis is manufactured.
Thank you for the information. Yesterday I have visited the dealership as I could not resist the temptation to see the Onyx at display again .

I could locate the VIN very gracefully placed on the corner of the dashboard before the front passenger seat. The display car also had its manufacture in August-2019. Regarding the interior roof height, I did not notice anything abnormal, though the L&K variant was not available at showroom for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Generally 2 months from Mlada Boleslav to Aurangabad. Nice video below
The video was very informative. Nice to see how meticulous they are at every aspect.
Old 3rd November 2019, 22:09   #3813
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming up to the 60K km / 4 year service on my 1.8 TSI, coupled with end of my Extended Warranty.

Apart from the usual stuff as per the service cost calculator, is there anything unique I should look out for?

Will anyway get the squeaky sunroof + door beadings lubricated, as well as the ORVMs & stabilizer link rods. Don't really have much to complain about as such. Tyre noise (Michelin P3ST) has gone up after running for 18K km, but that's another story altogether.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20191103202432.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd November 2019 at 22:16.
Old 3rd November 2019, 22:13   #3814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Coming up to the 60K km / 4 year service on my 1.8 TSI, coupled with end of my Extended Warranty.

Apart from the usual stuff as per the service cost calculator, is there anything unique I should look out for?
The 6 speed DSG requires an oil change at this service, which is pretty pricey.
Do check if it's required for the 7 speed unit in the 1.8TSi as well.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 07:09   #3815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The 6 speed DSG requires an oil change at this service, which is pretty pricey.
Do check if it's required for the 7 speed unit in the 1.8TSi as well.
The 6S DQ250 definitely needs the change, there is zero doubt about it. BUT the jury is out on the 7S DQ200 with Skoda IN not insisting on a change or even top-up.

Zillion differing opinions on every forum like TBHP, Briskoda and multiple VAG forums.

http://www.furitech.com.au/index.php...ling-procdure/

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3951774 (VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!)
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 12:53   #3816
Senior - BHPian

Yeah nothing needed for the DSG DQ200. Do get Brake Oil inspected and replaced, it's barely 500₹ but crucial. Check poly V-belt, engine and gearbox mounts. If you at all feel that car vibrates more than normal during start up, or gear change jerks, it's possibly a worn dog bone mount along with the sub frame mount. If you hear humming while taking full lock u-turns, suspension mount needs replacement along with total front suspension service. No need for replacement of struts as they're quite hard wearing.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 20:20   #3817
BHPian

After bearing Goodyear tires for 50kms, switched to Michelin Primacy 4 ST, 205/55 R16. The difference is night and day. 4 month wait for the P4ST was worth it.

Here are few observations:
1. Road noise is negligible. Goodyears were noisy.
2. Ride quality has improved by leaps and bound. The thuds I would hear on 1.4 TSI's Torsion beam rear have gone. The tyres round up the sharp edges. The ride quality reminds me of the 1.8TSI test drive I took recently.
3. Mileage has improved by 2kmpl. Took the car on Mumbai-Pune expressway for the dinner at Sunny Da Dhaba and the car returned 20kmpl. Will take a pic next time.
4. Steering feedback has slightly improved and it's lighter now.

My only regret is that I didn't switch tires right out of the showroom. I didn't expect the tires would make such a huge difference on the ride quality. All this time I put the blame on Torsion beam suspension. Now I have no complaints with it.

I am equally upset with Skoda for putting such cheap tires on a 20 lac car. For all the prospective owners of Octavia, please make the switch immediately.

For all the prospective owners.
livezero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 14:53   #3818
BHPian

I've booked a 'Race Blue' 1.8 TSI Onyx edition today, with delivery being promised towards the end of this month.
I really liked the blue colour and it looks very classy, but unfortunately those black alloys just don't gel with the blue shade.
I'm keen to change the alloys to Momo/Neo etc but the dealer says the warranty for the suspension would then be void since Skoda cites some technical reason to discourage customers from switching to after market alloys.

My question is - Does the suspension really develop any problem after switching over to after market alloys?
The other option is to paint the alloys instead of replacing them, but I'm highy doubtful about the durability of the paint/coating.
Please advise.
Old 8th November 2019, 15:03   #3819
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Almetal. Are you getting any discount on Onyx? Dealer in Hyderabad is offering no discount.

What is the waiting period for delivery? Are you going with in-house insurance + extended warranty?
Old 8th November 2019, 15:23   #3820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Congrats Almetal. Are you getting any discount on Onyx? Dealer in Hyderabad is offering no discount.

What is the waiting period for delivery? Are you going with in-house insurance + extended warranty?
Yes Sir, I managed to squeeze a fair bit of discount from the dealer (Jai Auto, Vikas Marg Delhi), mainly because he has opened the dealership just last month and is eager to score some sales.
The OTR price (without the 5th & 6th year EW) for a company registered car is coming to 23 lakhs. Have opted for the zero dep insurance as well, through the Skoda authorized insurance company.
Delivery is by the end of November.

The Sales Manager (Mr. Keshav) was hinting that Skoda has a lot of stock of diesel Octavias and they are trying to reduce their inventory by December end. Good time to buy a diesel Octavia.
Old 8th November 2019, 15:27   #3821
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
I've booked a 'Race Blue' 1.8 TSI Onyx edition today, with delivery being promised towards the end of this month.
I really liked the blue colour and it looks very classy, but unfortunately those black alloys just don't gel with the blue shade.
I'm keen to change the alloys to Momo/Neo etc but the dealer says the warranty for the suspension would then be void since Skoda cites some technical reason to discourage customers from switching to after market alloys.

My question is - Does the suspension really develop any problem after switching over to after market alloys?
The other option is to paint the alloys instead of replacing them, but I'm highy doubtful about the durability of the paint/coating.
Please advise.
One option is to change the alloys to Skoda OE ones that are fit in other variants. You can then sell the black alloys for a small discount. I am sure there will be many takers for the black alloys.

As you go with OE alloys, no need to worry about suspension warranty. The dealer should be able to sell to the OE alloys.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 15:30   #3822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post

The Octavia Style comes with a "velorum" alloy design. The Onyx looks like the "alcatraz" design in black color. The same is there in silver in L&K. The prefacelift had a "minoris" design. You could check if you like those designs and ask for a swap. Since it is a Skoda product, there should not be any warranty issues.
NewRaptor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 18:13   #3823
BHPian

I am also considering the the Onyx 1.8 tsi but have decided to wait for a few days for the unveiling of the new Skoda, I think it is at the Frankfurt motor show isn't it ?

Also does anyone know if the VW T-Roc is being launch in Jan. 2020. Would that be a good alternative to the Octavia 1.8tsi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Come November 11, 2019 and you will see the new Octavia getting unveiled. I would suggest at least wait till then. Normally as is the case, after the facelift or new gen model is unveiled, current kits will be further discounted and possibly more features added to Style / Onyx trims to get the remaining cars off stock. Patience is key, my friend. I've waited 6 years to upgrade, and excited as to what Skoda has in store for us with the Octy-4.
Old 8th November 2019, 18:43   #3824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRaptor View Post
The Octavia Style comes with a "velorum" alloy design. The Onyx looks like the "alcatraz" design in black color. The same is there in silver in L&K. The prefacelift had a "minoris" design. You could check if you like those designs and ask for a swap. Since it is a Skoda product, there should not be any warranty issues.
The Onyx comes with the Premia 16" black alloys like this:
https://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b...e0071494--jx2x
You can ogle them all here: https://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b...D1573219033550

You can definitely expect to resell them to existing Octy owners tired of the aluminum finish of the Minoris, Velorum etc.

The OEM alloy were around 13K from Skoda in 2016 as experienced by fellow BHP-ian joethomasv (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4048405)

Expect to pay around 15K now. Not a bad deal as they are very strong and durable. Worth the investment I feel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Skoda Front axle, alloy replacement bill.pdf (561.0 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th November 2019 at 18:49.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 18:46   #3825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Also does anyone know if the VW T-Roc is being launch in Jan. 2020. Would that be a good alternative to the Octavia 1.8tsi ?
T-Roc is going to be a Brezza sized mini SUV, which is most likely to get the new 1.0 L, 3 cylinder turbo engine (and may be 1.6 diesel as well). Not comparable to Octavia in terms of size or power.

Most Viewed