Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2019, 20:48   #3841
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
The onyx edition seems to be a stickering job on the Style variants along with the all black alcantara interiors
Skoda might have introduced the Onyx variant for stock clearance before BS-VI. However IMHO it is a better option as compared to the Style variant. Apart from the sporty black elements all over, it also offers 12 way electrically adjustable seat for the front passenger as well which is not provided in Style variant. This is a very useful and desirable feature adding to comfort and convenience for the front passenger. The cool brushed decor on the front console and door panel looks far more attractive with the black theme in Onyx as compared to the biege theme in Style.

The most desirable addition I think is the sporty flat bottom steering with perforated leather. Looks really stunning and so nice and inspiring to hold. Plus the colours on offer gives you the option to choose the blue and red colours which were available only with the VRS. All these makes the Onyx a better choice over the Style variant I think. A fellow bhpian has rightly mentioned in this forum that "the Onyx is the next best thing after the VRS".

The car which actually has a very aggressive and sporty character in the performance and handling department is rewarded with an aptly sporty attire both in its interior and exterior in Onyx variant.

Regards,

Sumesh

Last edited by Sumesh_Jazz : 9th November 2019 at 20:52. Reason: Spelling mistake
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:35   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Skoda might have introduced the Onyx variant for stock clearance before BS-VI. However IMHO it is a better option as compared to the Style variant. Apart from the sporty black elements all over, it also offers 12 way electrically adjustable seat for the front passenger as well which is not provided in Style variant. This is a very useful and desirable feature adding to comfort and convenience for the front passenger.

The most desirable addition I think is the sporty flat bottom steering with perforated leather. Looks really stunning and so nice and inspiring to hold. Plus the colours on offer gives you the option to choose the blue and red colours which were available only with the VRS.

The car which actually has a very aggressive and sporty character in the performance and handling department is rewarded with an aptly sporty attire both in its interior and exterior in Onyx variant.

Regards,

Sumesh
First of all,congrats on your 1.8TSI octy.One of the best 4 pot motors available in the market.It might well be one of the last 1.8T to be produced worldwide.As u said Skoda IN is trying to clear the remaining kits available.

It might be among the UK spec black interior kits which is now being sold in India as the onyx edition.I personally hate the stickering job on such an elegant l looking sedan.Somehow this seems to be inspired by VW IN which is famous for its numerous facelifts for the polo twins.The features you listed are certainly welcome for the price it comes at.
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:18   #3843
Senior - BHPian

Today the sales guy told me production of Style variant is stopped. Only Onyx and L&K are being sold. Looks like the factory stopped production of current generation Octavia and they are dumping whatever stocks are left with them. Unless the deal is too tempting, I am planning to hold off buying Octavia.

I also feel company may be in the process of retooling the factory to launch a new car / SUV immediately after Auto Expo. It's my guess.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:15   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Skoda might have introduced the Onyx variant for stock clearance before BS-VI. However IMHO it is a better option as compared to the Style variant. Apart from the sporty black elements all over, it also offers 12 way electrically adjustable seat for the front passenger as well which is not provided in Style variant. This is a very useful and desirable feature adding to comfort and convenience for the front passenger. The cool brushed decor on the front console and door panel looks far more attractive with the black theme in Onyx as compared to the biege theme in Style.

The most desirable addition I think is the sporty flat bottom steering with perforated leather. Looks really stunning and so nice and inspiring to hold. Plus the colours on offer gives you the option to choose the blue and red colours which were available only with the VRS. All these makes the Onyx a better choice over the Style variant I think. A fellow bhpian has rightly mentioned in this forum that "the Onyx is the next best thing after the VRS".

Regards,

Sumesh
The electrically adjustable seats are available in the Style variant since 2019. Apart from the black interiors and flat bottom steering the Style and Onyx variants are same.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-36380a50073c45699ad0fb3d3723776b.jpeg  

rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 08:52   #3845

Hi

I can't access the MySkoda app as the VIN is still registered in first owner's mobile number, according to the app. Can anyone guide me as to how I can get Skoda India to change it to my number?

Thanks.
Old 10th November 2019, 12:31   #3846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
One suggestion is that the black Premia alloys are not gelling with the chrome lining on the windows. Better to wrap the latter I think unless you're considering changing the alloys to the normal silver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev911 View Post
Congratulations Sumesh. Great choice & colour. Advice would be to wrap the Chrome window sill linings in black. They look odd because the Wing mirrors are also black & there's a black strip on your doors. The black alloys look stunning IMHO.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not planning to change the alloys and hence wrapping the chrome lining in black would make the side profile look better as both of you have suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 773.raviteja View Post
Congratulations Sumesh_Jazz! That is one good looking car! Happy mile munching to you!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Sumesh ! You have really ignited the desire in me to go for the Octavia 1.8 Tsi instead of the Honda Civic. The only thing that bothers me is the strong possibility of discontinuation of the 1.8 TSI engine and the availability of spares a few years down the line. I maintain my cars well and intend to keep it for around 10 years.

Hi Sumesh,
Do post some pics of the interior also. The test drive car they gave me was the L&K , so I haven't yet see the interiors of the Onyx. Congrats once again . Looks stunning !!
Thank you. IMHO OCTAVIA would be a better option compared to the Civic. Yes, I will definitely post the pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
First of all,congrats on your 1.8TSI octy.One of the best 4 pot motors available in the market.It might well be one of the last 1.8T to be produced worldwide.As u said Skoda IN is trying to clear the remaining kits available.

It might be among the UK spec black interior kits which is now being sold in India as the onyx edition.I personally hate the stickering job on such an elegant l looking sedan.Somehow this seems to be inspired by VW IN which is famous for its numerous facelifts for the polo twins.The features you listed are certainly welcome for the price it comes at.
Thank you. I am also not happy with the stickers on this car. They do not look elegant and may not be lasting for long. They should have provided some badging instead for the limited editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
The electrically adjustable seats are available in the Style variant since 2019. Apart from the black interiors and flat bottom steering the Style and Onyx variants are same.
Yes, you are right. In have just seen the updated brochure released after launch of the Onyx. They have discontinued the ambition variant and introduced maple brown colour for the L&K variant.

Regards
Sumesh
Old 10th November 2019, 12:41   #3847
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinDoc View Post
Hi

I can't access the MySkoda app as the VIN is still registered in first owner's mobile number, according to the app. Can anyone guide me as to how I can get Skoda India to change it to my number?

Thanks.
I think the app says contact the nearest dealer for updating the phone number.

I'm also unable to use the app as it never sends me an OTP, and there is absolutely no one who knows or understands what to do with it!

The dealer is clueless that there is an app, Skoda care registers a complaint and then after sometime I get a call from the dealer, who has no clue of anything

Last edited by SLK : 10th November 2019 at 12:49.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 20:01   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I also feel company may be in the process of retooling the factory to launch a new car / SUV immediately after Auto Expo. It's my guess.
They are planning for a Rider variant of the Octavia. Pricing would be mouth watering ~13-14L ex showroom - very similar to the Active variant when launched with afew more goodies thrown in.

Remember the Gen 1 Rider variant?
Old 10th November 2019, 23:40   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinDoc View Post
Hi

Thanks.
You need to contact the service center and they have to raise a request to change the phone number associated with the car regn to yours. Once it is done, you will be able to register. I have gone through this process and successfully changed the number back in 2014.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 00:10   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
They are planning for a Rider variant of the Octavia. Pricing would be mouth watering ~13-14L ex showroom - very similar to the Active variant when launched with afew more goodies thrown in.

Remember the Gen 1 Rider variant?
For the existing generation or the upcoming one? Your source if I may ask?

It'll be cool to have a low cost entry into the Octavia family but given that they have discontinued ambition of the 1.4, I can't imagine they would do this.
Old 11th November 2019, 07:18   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
For the existing generation or the upcoming one? Your source if I may ask?

It'll be cool to have a low cost entry into the Octavia family but given that they have discontinued ambition of the 1.4, I can't imagine they would do this.
Please have a look at Zac's interview here - https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...edition/34746/

Zac is an automotive enthusiast and is trying to improve Skoda's brand perception. Under him I see Skoda trying to make people upgrade to the next segment or at least get a taste what Skoda cars are about. The Octy Rider would be like Lion (not a cat) among C segment pigeons at that price point. If the argument is the price point, then remember they also had an Active variant when launched priced at ~11.5 L ex showroom.

Also, the Rapid Rider is a huge success in this market (just compare with Vento sales) and they have stopped bookings for now. Octy is not doing too well in sales and with the upcoming 4th Gen, A7 sales will plummet in the coming months. The only way around is to introduce the Rider variant. In my opinion it will be an extremely smart move by Skoda!

Last edited by sprocket : 11th November 2019 at 07:26.
sprocket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 15:42   #3852
Senior - BHPian

In recent Style (god knows whether they are selling this variant) and Onyx variants, they included few features which earlier were present only in L&K. From the latest variant comparison in their brochure, I see the following features for Style and Onyx which were not seen in Style few months back. I could be wrong with few of them though.

1. Parktronic display on central infotainment system.
2. KESSY - keyless entry, start and exit system with engine start/stop button
3. 12-way electrically adjustable passenger seat.
4. Paddle shifters
5. Two foldable baggage hooks in luggage compartment instead of one.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 18:25   #3853
Senior - BHPian

May I know from people who booked Onyx petrol how much discount you are getting?
Is it mandatory to buy basic accessories kit with the car? Hyderabad dealer is not agreeing to either not sell the kit or sell just what i want. They are saying it is mandatory to buy the full accessories kit even if i don't need them. It is company policy.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 11th November 2019 at 18:27.
Old 11th November 2019, 18:33   #3854
BHPian

Ofcourse it's noy mandatory. I'd be wary of such dealer as you can expect same behavior in after sales and service.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 18:46   #3855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Ofcourse it's noy mandatory. I'd be wary of such dealer as you can expect same behavior in after sales and service.
Unfortunately both AP and Telangana states are stuck with Mahavir motors as they are the only Skoda dealers in both the states.

Most Viewed