Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2019, 19:50   #3886
BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

In D mode the TSi engines can be just super smooth, wafting along in top gear. Unless you know how to push it, it will be deceptively docile. Till you bury the gas pedal to do a kickdown and the devil shows up and hurls you hard ahead! Takes a while to figure out how to modulate the throttle in these turbo engines.

Last edited by Cayman360 : 16th November 2019 at 19:57.
Cayman360 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 21:17   #3887
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
There was no sense of urgency when I prodded the gas pedal. May be I expected to be blown away, but I wasn't.
Well, when compared to some high end cars, 1.8 TSI definitely lacks sense of urgency. It does a 0-100 in 8.01 seconds though. Not sure which other car under 30 lacs does that?
Lambydude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 00:50   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Well, when compared to some high end cars, 1.8 TSI definitely lacks sense of urgency. It does a 0-100 in 8.01 seconds though. Not sure which other car under 30 lacs does that?
The Abarth Punto used to manage something around ~8.8 sec. The 1.4's turbo lag and the thrust that followed made it feel faster than it actually is as compared to the 1.8 TSI that's relatively linear.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 17th November 2019 at 00:52.
Old 17th November 2019, 11:48   #3889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
I'm having some strange problems and any help in this regard would be appreciated:
1. Had my mechatronics replaced a few months back. After I received it I noticed a peculiar behaviour almost every evening when i start the car and leave for home. The first time the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd there is a jerk. Doesn't repeat again and does not usually happen at any other time other than late evening. Could it be because my car is parked on a slope? Rather strange...

2. Last week my headlights refused to turn on either in auto or manual mode. Funnily after about 4 hours it started working normally again!
3. Today while I was driving to work the EPC warning light turned on, the AC stopped cooling and the safety mode engaged which means The power was severely reduced and I had to cruse at 30-40km. Within 5 minutes the engine started overheating and there's a loud whirring of the fan!!!
Towing the car to Tafe tomorrow.Can anyone help me with what I need to look out for. I feel like my car is possessed

Sorry forgot to mention that my car is a 1.8tsi and driven in Bangalore

Just a quick update. Took the advice posted here and asked them to do a DSG reset and there are no errors. The issue is with the coolant pump and tank.
Waiting for the official communication in this regard and will keep you posted. I'm relieved that it's not the DSG ...
Old 17th November 2019, 13:26   #3890
Distinguished - BHPian

After a strenuous 1.5 hour full wash + detailing :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-41.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-51.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-6.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-71.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-81.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-91.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 14:14   #3891
BHPian

Lovely ... Looking absolutely smashing in red ��
Old 17th November 2019, 14:29   #3892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Awesome! This red colour looks much more classy than vrs red. I guess this is rio red. Why did they discontinue this color
Old 17th November 2019, 15:13   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry for the OT.

A washing machine outside sans any protection!
Just curious to know the name of the housing society in the photo, if you don't mind sharing it!
Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 20:40   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
The car looks absolutely stunning in dark red. Hope you are having great time with your VRS.

It has been only 10 days since I took delivery of the Onyx and I have been cleaning the car myself. I use to do dusting on alternate days and go for mild wash on weekends. Is it okay not going for daily wash with water? I do only dusting for the alloys and do not wash them to avoid wetting the brake disks.

Can you just share some tips on how to do the normal washing and dusting? Do you use the Jopasu duster?

Regards,
Sumesh
Old 18th November 2019, 09:09   #3895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
The car looks absolutely stunning in dark red. Hope you are having great time with your VRS.

It has been only 10 days since I took delivery of the Onyx and I have been cleaning the car myself. I use to do dusting on alternate days and go for mild wash on weekends. Is it okay not going for daily wash with water? I do only dusting for the alloys and do not wash them to avoid wetting the brake disks.

Can you just share some tips on how to do the normal washing and dusting? Do you use the Jopasu duster?

Regards,
Sumesh
Thank you all!

Just to clarify I don't own a vRS but a Style Plus, and the OEM badges (sourced from www.skodadop.com, unfortunately went out of business) were fitted well before the real vRS came along . The front one tends to snag on my wash mitts and I've taken it off for now.

The colour is Rio Red which was a very slow seller and hence probably discontinued by Skoda. It is identical to one of the Audi shades so it's more likely to see a A4/6 in this shade rather than an Octavia. Surprisingly, a few stray facelifted Octavias also came to IN as well. There is one in my office parking - I will seek permission from the owner and take a 'twins' photo some day.

No one touches my 4 year + 56K km beauty apart from me. So far it has been detailed only once around 1 year back. It is a regular commuter car and parked all around BLR city including Commercial Street & Brigade Road. I dust with the Jopasu daily and wash once a week with 3M, Armor All or similar products. Nothing fancy and just done with care. There are swirl marks which I need to correct soon.

What I like very much about the Octavia is that it easily holds its own among cars costing twice as much. You can see the various uber-luxury vehicles in the background

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th November 2019 at 09:11.
itwasntme is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:18   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
In D mode the TSi engines can be just super smooth, wafting along in top gear. Unless you know how to push it, it will be deceptively docile. Till you bury the gas pedal to do a kickdown and the devil shows up and hurls you hard ahead! Takes a while to figure out how to modulate the throttle in these turbo engines.

If you floor the pedal quickly once and then do it again... The gearbox will downshift and give you the acceleration... I have tried this with Vento DSG as well... For Octavia I find it easy to use pedal shifters. Couple of downshifts and the motor will be screaming ahead...
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:22   #3897
Senior - BHPian

A question to existing Octavia owners. Is it advantageous to buy the 4 year maintenance plan for Rs.44,000? Sales adviser says each service will cost more than 20,000 and it's better to buy the maintenance plan. My usage of car is going to be less than 10,000 KMS per anum.
Old 18th November 2019, 13:07   #3898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
A question to existing Octavia owners. Is it advantageous to buy the 4 year maintenance plan for Rs.44,000? Sales adviser says each service will cost more than 20,000 and it's better to buy the maintenance plan. My usage of car is going to be less than 10,000 KMS per anum.
I'd suggest you take up the offer. Even though your running will be lower than mine, costs are continuously going up.

My experience with my 1.8 TSI:

2016 (13K km) - ₹9,900 ('free' interior enrichment)
2017 (27K km) - ₹14,400 (includes paid ~2.2K set of spark plugs)
2018 (41K km) - ₹21,200 (includes paid ~7K front brake pads & free interior)
2019 (56K km) - ??

Even without the brake pads, I would have paid close to ₹38K in 3 years with the 4th service still pending. My SA has advised me that 'normal' 4th service should be ~12K unless brake discs/rear pads are found to be worn out.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:27   #3899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
So does this maintenance plan include all consumables and wear and tear parts?

I do agree with itwasntme. Go for it.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:58   #3900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So does this maintenance plan include all consumables and wear and tear parts?

I do agree with itwasntme. Go for it.
Yes the maintenance plan includes consumables and filters. It doesn't include other wear and tear parts like brakes.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks