Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2019, 14:32   #3946
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
UPDATE: Very impressed with the RSA issue process entirely remotely via WhatsApp and email.

The actual execution of RSA, let us say I would prefer not to experience.

All details absolutely correct and same will be duly updated in my MySkoda app in some time.

Sounds great... I did not receive any email and most importantly no T&C from dealer or Skoda India. I guess some customers are served quickly. Wish I was one.

Last edited by vikrantshete : 29th November 2019 at 15:01. Reason: Trimmed a large quoted post and minor edits. Please proof read before submission.
Old 29th November 2019, 15:07   #3947
Senior - BHPian

Do you have to go with Skoda in-house insurance to be eligible for RSA?

My onyx 1.8 TSI is at the dealer's stock yard and the delivery is tomorrow. VIN decoding showing month and year of manufacturing as November 2019.
Old 29th November 2019, 15:30   #3948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Do you have to go with Skoda in-house insurance to be eligible for RSA?
Nopes, if you are taking the bundled offer (Skoda Shield, unsure what is is called now) then it is mandatory to stay in-house.

If not, just pay separately and take it!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 18:07   #3949
BHPian

Hello guys ! I'm going for the 1.8 TSI. Have arranged for funds too. Is it advisable to buy right now or wait for a month or two? Thanks in advance.
Old 29th November 2019, 18:54   #3950
BHPian

I'd say wait a few days for Dec offer. Octavia should get some discount.
Old 29th November 2019, 19:37   #3951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
Hello guys ! I'm going for the 1.8 TSI. Have arranged for funds too. Is it advisable to buy right now or wait for a month or two? Thanks in advance.
I'm getting the delivery of the Onyx edition on Monday and as per my dealer (Jai Auto) there are hardly any stocks of the BS 4 1.8 TSI left.
By all accounts Skoda won't wait till March 2020 to liquidate their stock of BS4 vehicles and I suggest you book it at the earliest to avoid paying premium for the BS 6 model.

On the other hand, if you are keen on buying a Diesel, then there is ample stock available (atleast it was there in the first week of Nov) along with some good discounts as well.

There are no colour options in the Onyx, apart from the Race Blue shade (thankfully it looks better than Red and the White shades). Also, no Style version now, it was discontinued in mid - October or thereabouts. So only the Onyx and the L&K now.

I guess Skoda is keeping it's cards close to its chest and doesn't want any unsold BS 4 inventory after March 2020.

Ultimately it's your call to buy or hold but I would suggest you to go for it .

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 08:18. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Almetal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 22:35   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
If your question is about discount I would say with the figures people have quoted for onyx and L&K on this thread you can get some idea and since it is year end you can expect even more discount. You can start negotiating now and have enough time to wait until a good deal is struck. Further if you happen to wait till new year and buy 2019 stock in 2020 you are entitled to a huge discount. I'm not sure about stock availability till then but usually they have old stock in early Jan each year and they can't be so perfect to clear it all in Dec itself.

Also if you buy now your car is going to be treated as 2019 car in the market so you can ask for more discount.
Old 30th November 2019, 12:18   #3953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
You can start negotiating now and have enough time to wait until a good deal is struck.
Further if you happen to wait till new year and buy 2019 stock in 2020 you are entitled to a huge discount.
Also if you buy now your car is going to be treated as 2019 car in the market so you can ask for more discount.
Normally I would wholeheartedly agree with you but this is not a normal year-end:

1. BS-VI means the 1.8 will be discontinued sooner rather than later;
2. Skoda IN has a long logistics/supply chain from the mother plant at Mlada Boleslav (CZ)
3. Skoda is also replacing the Octavia globally.

I would suggest buying up the petrols which are in short supply. The diesels have more stock and they may get discounted depending on the demand-supply scenario.
Old 1st December 2019, 14:20   #3954
BHPian

Hi Gentlemen,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and could do with some advise from the experienced Octavia / Laura owners. After a thorough test driving of both Honda Civic petrol & the Octavia 1.8Tsi, my family seems to prefer the Octavia over the civic mainly the way it drives and also its overall understated look & feel.

I currently have a Honda city Zx and the Civic (old model) for over 10 years now and I know from experience how reliable Honda cars are. My major fear with Octavia 1.8Tsi is that it is at the end of its life cycle & that the model will get phased out from April 2020 including the 1.8tsi engine (although the Skoda dealer keeps contradicting me on this). I am looking at a ownership of around 10 years, so will the spare parts continue to remain available for this period of time.

Perhaps some of the long term owners of Laura and Octavia cars can shed some light on their experience with Skoda. Spending around 23-25 L is an expensive proposition for me, so whatever advise that I can receive from experienced Octavia/ Laura owners would be well appreciated.

Cheers Gentlemen & look forward to your views!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 08:17. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 15:12   #3955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi . I am looking at a ownership of around 10 years, so will the spare parts continue to remain available for this period of time. Perhaps some of the long term owners of Laura and Octavia cars can shed some light on their experience with Skoda. !
Basically you like Octavia more than Civic and you are worried about the availability of spares parts and reliability.

On reliability, let's be clear that Honda will be miles ahead ( as you have already experienced). All you can do is take the extended warranty for Skoda and you will be safe for 6 years. Now even after that, there has been enough cases of DSG replaced as goodwill warranty after the warranty period is over. So my opinion will be a little bit of trade off you will have to do here for significantly better performance compared to Civic AT.

Spares availability: Skoda's India 2.0 strategy plan says it will invest 1 billion dollars in India and Skoda will take the leading role among VW family brands. It is also said that they will push for more localisation. This gives a feeling that they are planning for long term. So atleast for next 10 years, the period you plan to keep your car, it should be fine.

I have a friend who owns a Fabia 1.4 TDI. This engine was discontinued long back in 2007-09 but still gets the spares parts.

Last edited by Lambydude : 1st December 2019 at 15:14.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 15:13   #3956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Gentlemen,
I am in a bit of a dilemma and could do with some advise from the experienced Octavia / Laura owners. After a thorough test driving of both Honda Civic petrol & the Octavia 1.8Tsi, my family seems to prefer the Octavia over the civic mainly the way it drives and also its overall understated look & feel.
I currently have a Honda city Zx and the Civic (old model) for over 10 years now and I know from experience how reliable Honda cars are.
Cheers Gentlemen & look forward to your views!
I was in a situation quite similar to yours. I chose the Civic. Main contributors to my decision were the peace of mind, the looks and ride/handling/seating position of the Civic, the current generation Octavia being replaced by an all-new generation in the near future and the DSG horror stories. I also own a current model Honda City so I can totally relate to your situation.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 15:40   #3957
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda to Skoda is a journey to hell in terms of reliability. Stick to Honda please. It's not worth it.
Old 1st December 2019, 23:23   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Honda to Skoda is a journey to hell in terms of reliability. Stick to Honda please. It's not worth it.
Messages like this are really scary to look at when someone is planning to go for the Octavia as myself am. That too when there are talks of huge improvements with respect to customer service.
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:58   #3959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Messages like this are really scary to look at when someone is planning to go for the Octavia as myself am. That too when there are talks of huge improvements with respect to customer service.
Don't get me wrong - I' m a very satisfied Octavia TSI owner for the last 4 years. I was replying to Timothy who is a longtime Honda owner.

Seen in that limited context where Honda cars are typically trouble-free, ultra reliable, enjoys excellent service etc, extended Skoda ownership (~10 years) is definitely more challenging and one should accept and expect that.

End of the day, the 1.8 Octavia far exceeds the performance and luxury envelope of the current Civic, and one should enjoy it instead of worrying unnecessarily. I really didn't mean to scare anyone!

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd December 2019 at 06:12.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:17   #3960
BHPian

Hey Buddy, Many thanks for the practical advise ! Much as I love the Honda brand but when I took the second test drive of the Octavia 1.8Tsi, after having test driven the new Civic, is when I realised how much better this car drives and the interior has such a nice premium feel to it. Everything inside the cabin feels so much more refined. Like most of you on this forum I also do appreciate many of the finer things in life :-)

Just a couple of clarifications, what care does the DSG need. I would understand, you should treat it like you would treat a manual gearbox... i.e. bring it N at red lights and during traffic crawls. Anything else that should be kept in mind ? Also does the belly scrape often in the car over speed bumps. It did scrape a couple of times during my test drive with a load of 4 people, but then I believe the test vehicles are often abused by inconsiderate drivers. My test vehicle had 14K on the odo.

My general belief is that the car has improved quite a bit since 2017 as the management has woken up to the Indian driving conditions.
Thanks again bro ! Any other advise from fellow bhpian's is always welcome :-). Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Basically you like Octavia more than Civic and you are worried about the availability of spares parts and reliability.

On reliability, let's be clear that Honda will be miles ahead ( as you have already experienced). All you can do is take the extended warranty for Skoda and you will be safe for 6 years. Now even after that, there has been enough cases of DSG replaced as goodwill warranty after the warranty period is over. So my opinion will be a little bit of trade off you will have to do here for significantly better performance compared to Civic AT.
End of the day, the 1.8 Octavia far exceeds the performance and luxury envelope of the current Civic, and one should enjoy it instead of worrying unnecessarily. I really didn't mean to scare anyone!

Yes I would totally agree to this ! The cabin inside has got a completely different feel to it and the driving experience is just of a different level altogether.

To be honest your message did scare me also. :-)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 08:16. Reason: back to back posts merged / spacing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks