Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 09:14   #4186
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skris11 View Post
I've been following various threads around ceramic coating vs PPF, I would like to get views from owners who have done either on do's and don'ts. Would also love recommedations on where to get this done from in Bangalore. The dealer (TAFE Access) is offering to do PPF for about 1.2 lakhs, which I think is on the higher side and I'm not sure about the quality of work.
- Replacing the stock tyres with Michelin P4STs. Suggestions on where I could get the new tyres and get them replaced. Madhu's?
Cheers!
I have not done ceramic coating but have had PPF on my Octavia from day 1 and it has been one of the best decisions. I have had it on the bumpers, mirrors and door edges and part of the fenders that are prone to picking up scratches.

The rear bumper has taken some serious hits in Delhi traffic but its all good under the PPF. In fact i would shortly be getting PPF done on the bonnet as well. Since mine is the older Gen 1 PPF, it has yellowed and its visible now but i am not bothered by it. The newer ones i understand dont yellow as much and as easy and some even self heal.

Some pics below (excuse the lighting (basement) and the car is wet due to rains today in Delhi)

Rear Right thanks to an over excited lady on a scooter

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-rear-right.jpg

Rear left- auto scraped the parked car and a bullet rear ended the stationary car at a red light. Then i back into some unmarked stones on an unlit street

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-left-rear.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-rear-bumper.jpg

Front bumper picked this up in a parking lot

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-front-bumper.jpg

The side view mirrors have been saved from numerous two wheeler hits as well and the original paint is intact. So go ahead and get the PPF done. Choose the best quality that you can afford.

As for the tyres, get the Michelin in stock size. You wont regret that either.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 12:37   #4187
Distinguished - BHPian

Since last week have been noticing a 'whirring' sound in my 1.8 TSI from the passenger side footwell/engine area. Did some self-diagnosis:
1. Seems to be linked with engine RPM and starts at ~1500 getting louder gradually.
2. There doesn't seem to be a link to the tyres nor does it change when the steering is turned.
3. Could not spot any damage to driveshaft or front suspension.
4. No change whether AC is on or off and cooling is fine too.
5. Alternator also charging as usual and no issues with battery.
6. Power steering also fine
7. Coolant levels stable without any obvious leakage etc.
8. Ditto with engine oil / brake fluid etc.
9. No link to DSG as sound seems constant across P, R, N, D.

Sounds like a failing bearing(s) or drive/pulley tensioner to me; Not taking any chances but going to Skoda tomorrow. It was serviced last month - could there be any link there?

Hoping not a catastrophic failure looming like a AC compressor or alternator both of which which cost a bomb. My EW also got over last week!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th January 2020 at 13:55. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:32   #4188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
I made my booking over the weekend and got a call from Skoda confirming the booking details on Monday. They verified model details as well as the name, ph no, email ID etc. I guess the next step would be allocation of the car and VIN no., which the SA should be able to provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skris11 View Post
Yes, so I got a call the day after (or a maybe within 2 days) after I had paid the booking amount, this call was from Skoda India to verify the model / variant details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Yes, You will get a call from Skoda Motors confirming your booking and repeating all details of the car i.e. model, colour etc. It is a simple straightforward process. Don't worry everything will just go fine...Cheers !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Congratulations on the delivery. Seeing the pictures I'm getting impatient to get my hands on my Onyx ASAP.

Congratulations on the purchase and very happy for you

Thank you Again guys ! I got a call from Skoda yesterday. Today my dealer called me up with the VIN number allocated to me. Apparently I've been allocated a Nov MY19 Octavia in Maple Brown which was my preferred color too. Looking forward to the delivery now
1ManShow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:27   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Octavia IV in India will come only with the new VAG 1.5 TSI Evo 'national engine' of 148 bhp / 250 Nm, which will also do duty on the Audi A3, A4 and the CBU Skoda Karoq.

Only the Superb & Passat will get the 190 bhp 2.0 TSI. As and when the Octavia IV RS reaches India in 2021, it will be a 1.4 TSI + Electric hybrid of ~250 bhp.
I agree with what you are saying as this is what it looks like at the present but things could change as to which models come in to India. The launch of the 4th Gen. could easily be delayed to early 2021 and for the moment it would not even be on display at the Auto Expo in Feb.

This is what RushLane has to say on the new Octavia:

Engine specifications on the 2020 Skoda Octavia will be a 1.5 liter petrol and 2.0 liter TSI engines, along with the 2.0 liter TDI motor. These engines could get mild hybrid technology while a plug-in hybrid version will also follow sometime later. India might get different engine options. Expect price hike, as compared to current Octavia prices.

As Per Autocar India :

The Czech automaker is expected to bring the Octavia to India as a petrol-only model. On offer will be the 150hp, 1.5-litre and 190hp, 2.0-litre TSI engines, with manual as well as DSG automatic transmission options.

As per Car & Bike on the India Bound 4th Gen. Octavia

With respect to the powertrain, the next generation Octavia is expected to draw power from the 1.5-litre petrol and 2.0-litre TSI engines, along with the 2.0-litre TDI motor. The engines are expected to get mild-hybrid tech, while a plug-in hybrid version is also said to be on cards in the future along the lines of the Volkswagen Golf GTE. This, of course, will be followed by the more powerful Octavia RS that will join the line-up and could sport hybrid tech as well.

So lets wait & see. At the moment the diesel variant is not immediately on the cards but that could also change and could be brought in after the petrol variants are launched. The company is quite serious on the India market & will make the appropriate changes as per market feedback and acceptance of Karoq, T-Roc, Tiguan, Refreshed Superb....
Old 9th January 2020, 11:48   #4190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying as this is what it looks like at the present but things could change as to which models come in to India. The launch of the 4th Gen. could easily be delayed to early 2021 and for the moment it would not even be on display at the Auto Expo in Feb.
My very reliable source at VAG India tells me that the Octavia IV will only get the new 1.5 TSI and the tweaked 2.0 TDI Evo, both making 148 bhp. 2.0 is only for the bigger cars like the Passat, Superb and maybe the Kodiaq.

That is the concrete plan as of now, which may of course change for various reasons.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 13:15   #4191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since last week have been noticing a 'whirring' sound in my 1.8 TSI from the passenger side footwell/engine area.

Sounds like a failing bearing(s) or drive/pulley tensioner to me; Not taking any chances but going to Skoda tomorrow. It was serviced last month - could there be any link there?

Hoping not a catastrophic failure looming like a AC compressor or alternator both of which which cost a bomb. My EW also got over last week!
Hi, what's the diagnosis? Did you leave the car with them?
Old 9th January 2020, 14:41   #4192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi, what's the diagnosis? Did you leave the car with them?
Not looking good. After TDing for a long time (difficult to find even one patch of road when you can stay in D5+ in CBD/Majestic area ��), we jointly realized that it seems to be transmission 'whine' commencing as it upshifts to D5.

Had to get back to work but they have asked me to record audio of D5 upwards, which I will do and send them via WhatsApp today evening after I reach home. Easy for me to do with my kids's help - at least till this morning on the BLR Airport road, the sound appeared and increased in D6/D7 as RPMs climb.

Worrying, but only hope is that Skoda will cover it fully on a goodwill basis. Its JUST out of EW on 4 Jan 2020 There is a bunch of threads across VAG forums on transmission whine in certain gears, BUT without a concrete solution.

Hope this is not going to paralyze the newbies on this thread!

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th January 2020 at 14:43.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:44   #4193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worrying, but only hope is that Skoda will cover it fully on a goodwill basis. Its JUST out of EW on 4 Jan 2020 There is a bunch of threads across VAG forums on transmission whine in certain gears, BUT without a concrete solution.

Godspeed, and hope things work out for the best and soon. Transmission problems on a DSG are always scary to hear about, and I do hope that Skoda does a goodwill move in this case.

On a side note - I happen to be one of those newbies who just couldn't digest the DSG horror stories abounding and had to leave Skoda/ VW out of my shortlist when car shopping last year!
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:22   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Not looking good. After TDing for a long time (difficult to find even one patch of road when you can stay in D5+ in CBD/Majestic area ��), we jointly realized that it seems to be transmission 'whine' commencing as it upshifts to D5.

Had to get back to work but they have asked me to record audio of D5 upwards, which I will do and send them via WhatsApp today evening after I reach home. Easy for me to do with my kids's help - at least till this morning on the BLR Airport road, the sound appeared and increased in D6/D7 as RPMs climb.

Great news to hear while awaiting delivery . I really hope there is nothing seriously wrong with your car and even if there is something wrong, hopefully it will be replaced on a good will basis.
Old 9th January 2020, 17:48   #4195
BHPian

Quote:

Yes of course this is like a horror story unfolding.... After 4 years anything can creep in. Hopefully with your contacts at VAG & with the Co. turning a new leaf on their service levels they may absorb most of the cost.
Of course I am not yet an expert on VAG cars but the first thing that came to my mind on reading your post was that it could be the electric motor of the power steering, but normally they are far more reliable than Hydraulic ones, but you can never tell. But keep us informed on the diagnosis, it would be interesting to know as to what all one has to be prepared for Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
After a lot of Negotiations with various dealers I finally booked my Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K in my preferred color which happens to be Maple Brown. In the end I had to pit two different outlets of the same dealership against each other. I'm having to get the car from the Trichy outlet with delivery promised in Chennai which is where I live. I negotiated long and hard with the Chennai outlet who gave me their best offer which was better by the one in Trichy by 20k. So I decided to go with them. Apparently the vehicle is available for delivery whenever I may the full payment. I've paid 50k as the booking amount. I would like to thank Timothy, Krey ,Vicky,Gaurav and many others who replied promptly and helped me in making my decision. I'm 29 now and I'm about to finally buy the Octavia which I had set my eyes on as a school kid.
You are a smart negotiator & also lucky to have got the discounted price since the dealer had the car with him in stock. The SA came to my place today as he had forgotten to get one of the documents signed. He was mentioning that all of the incentives on the 1.8TSI have been withdrawn and only the 50K corp. discount is left for Jan., due to almost nill availability of cars. Now they are pushing the diesel L&K model on which the total discounts add up to 3L.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE [QUOTE+] buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th January 2020 at 18:56. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 9th January 2020, 18:47   #4196
BHPian

Quote:
You are a smart negotiator & also lucky to have got the discounted price since the dealer had the car with him in stock. The SA came to my place today as he had forgotten to get one of the documents signed. He was mentioning that all of the incentives on the 1.8TSI have been withdrawn and only the 50K corp. discount is left for Jan., due to almost nill availability of cars. Now they are pushing the diesel L&K model on which the total discounts add up to 3L.
Hey Timothy ! When your SA said that there are no discounts I'm very sure he's bluffing . While booking , the SA I was dealing with brought home the offer brochure they get from Skoda ( Internal document) which has the list of offers for not only the Octavia but all the models on sale right now. He showed that to me and it was written that the Skoda discount of 75k still continues for this month as well along with the 50k corporate discount. But you are right. They could have played hard ball with me as they already have these cars in stock.

I also believe that I got what I got as I seemed to like Maple brown which is not the color of choice for many. I closed the deal at 26.12L opting to insure the vehicle outside Skoda. Im optimistic that I can get all necessary covers with cashless facility within 70 to 75k and close the purchase within 27L. Which would include changing the Tyres to Primacy 4T.

I've spoken to a dealer here in Chennai and he quoted it at 8500 per Tyre while offering to buy back the Stock ones for 5000. So that's an additional 13600. I'm waiting for the pictures of your car BTW
1ManShow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:57   #4197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post

I'm waiting for the pictures of your car BTW
Just go back a couple of pages, I have posted several pics of my car. Its a white coloured L&K.
Old 10th January 2020, 11:50   #4198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had to get back to work but they have asked me to record audio of D5 upwards, which I will do and send them via WhatsApp today evening after I reach home.
Seems to occur around the 1500 & up mark. May need headphones or a quiet area to pick up the mechanical clatter/harshness. Ignore the crackling noises from my sunroof which also needs looking into.

Will also get the alignment & balancing checked today just in case.

itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 13:46   #4199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
we jointly realized that it seems to be transmission 'whine' commencing as it upshifts to D5.
If you switch to Manual mode and remain in say 4, there is no noise even when accelerating? How about in 3 and 6?

Quote:
Seems to occur around the 1500 & up mark.
Saw the videos, used headphones. Looks nasty! I think the noise is coming while accelerating but when you let go of the A pedal there is no noise. I know DQ200 does not shift to N when you let go of the A pedal, it remains in the gear, so this may have to do with belt/chain rather than the DSG(?)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 10th January 2020 at 13:48.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 15:08   #4200
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems to occur around the 1500 & up mark.
Doesn't immediately sound like the gearbox. Probably something more mechanical like the bearings or driveshaft or some belt or flywheel.

If gearbox was to do this, it might be physically damaged, which is rare, I'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If you switch to Manual mode and remain in say 4, there is no noise even when accelerating? How about in 3 and 6?
Yes, this is important to know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks