Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 16:25   #4231

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Yes, i have also faced the same. I use Skoda cable and still the output while connecting to android auto is low and lesser in quality. Connecting via bluetooth is much better.

I use skoda official accessory cable. But since my phone is type c, I have to use an external connector to the cable. O haven't checked using another cable, however I think that the issue is due to my external connector.
I've recently taken delivery of my Octavia 1.8 TSI and have been using a Type C connector for Android Auto since day 1. I've been facing a weird issue while connecting to Bluetooth, I can see that my phone is paired and connected and that I can take calls, but it seems that music / audio from apps like Spotify / YouTube are not playing while Bluetooth is connected. I've tried from my wife's phone as well (Apple), but I'm stuck with the same issue. Am I missing something here?

Cheers!
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:51   #4232

Just a heads up - booked a blue Onyx TSI yesterday and as per the dealer he obtained it through some special quota for me as I had been in touch for a while and could not make the purchase earlier due to travels. Had enquired with the other dealer too and he confirmed that the TSI was no longer in stock. Also only limited number of diesels remain. Someone in Mumbai still waiting to make up their minds may want to rush.
Old 23rd January 2020, 15:45   #4233
BHPian

Hello All,
I am facing a minor (hopefully) 'thing' with my Octavia 1.8 TSI which is around 1000kms & 1 month old. During braking in extremely slow speeds, I have noticed a 'clicking' sound which seems to come from the rear side (most likely from the rear brakes). This 'click' comes up only when the car is braked upon when in quite low speeds (say under 10-15kmph) and does not come up at all when I am braking from higher speeds - even though I come to a stand still from higher speeds.

Could someone please suggest what could be the issue? Anything with the disc pads or something? Some basic internet search suggests such sounds could come due to loose fittings of brakepad or if the dust covers for disk pad(?) is bent.

NOTE - I have noticed this only since last day or two. Before that, I hadn't heard this clicking noise.
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:37   #4234
BHPian

The engine cover of the Octavia Onyx looks different from the regular Octavia? Not sure as this was not covered in the facelift review as well. The right side of the current one looks something like an Asus Rog Phone 2 air vent

From the official review:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skodaoctavia06.jpg

From the Onyx:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200111_113909.jpg

The Asus ROG phone 2:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-back_panel_cover_for_asus_rog_phone_ii_zs660kl_black_maxbhi_com_50317.jpg
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:01   #4235
BHPian

I finally picked up a Maple Brown Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K from their Raipur dealership. Please find my overall feedback and impressions:

Dealership Experience - I would rate the Sales experience as poor. I went with my family, but we weren’t even offered tea or coffee. Nobody explained the product features to us. We also got charged an extra Rs. 4000/- approx. for paying by Credit Card which is illegal and cannot be done. I just did not argue as I was with my wife and kid and we wanted to take the car as soon as possible. Dealership staff is not educated well about all the features.

Vehicle feedback – Its an amazing machine and I am in love with it. I like it much more than my older Mercedes E Class (2014). Some points can be improved such as below:
  • It is not possible to answer calls using the steering controls directly and one must go inside the phone menu and then answer which is extremely cumbersome as well as risky while driving.
  • The wash option for the windscreen automatically engages the washers for the rear-view camera and the front head lights too. So, when I just want to clean my windscreen, I end up with a wet and dirty boot and messy front end as well. This is really annoying.
  • The user manual is extremely poorly designed and very difficult to understand or read.
  • Rear view camera resolution is poor.
  • Accessories such as the Dual Port cable need to be updated for USB C.
  • I still need help regarding various options and features such as “Synchronous Mirrors adjustment”, TPMS system, WLAN, etc.
maverick145 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:07   #4236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I finally picked up a Maple Brown Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K...
Hi, kindly do share pictures of your car. Is Maple Brown a new color for the Onyx Occtavia in India? As far as I know, it used to be only available on the old Yeti and 2015 Rapid.

Skoda seems to have overlooked significant things, according to your list. Hope they fix them in the next generation.
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:12   #4237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • It is not possible to answer calls using the steering controls directly and one must go inside the phone menu and then answer which is extremely cumbersome as well as risky while driving.
You don't have to get in to phone menu to answer the call. Just press the roller button on the right side of the steering to answer the call. To reject the call you scroll the right roller button to reject option and press the button. Dedicated phone buttons would have been better.
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:20   #4238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Hi, kindly do share pictures of your car. Is Maple Brown a new color for the Onyx Occtavia in India? As far as I know, it used to be only available on the old Yeti and 2015 Rapid.
Maple brown is for the L&K version only. Onyx comes in Red, Blue and White.
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:35   #4239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
You don't have to get in to phone menu to answer the call. Just press the roller button on the right side of the steering to answer the call. To reject the call you scroll the right roller button to reject option and press the button. Dedicated phone buttons would have been better.
This doesn't work. It works only when in the Phone menu. Doesn't work otherwise.
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:19   #4240
sud
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The wash option for the windscreen automatically engages the washers for the rear-view camera and the front head lights too. So, when I just want to clean my windscreen, I end up with a wet and dirty boot and messy front end as well. This is really annoying.
Head light washers are engaged only if the headlights are on. This is the behaviour in my 1.8 TSI - MK3 so I am guessing it should be most likely same in yours as well.

Last edited by sud : 23rd January 2020 at 18:21.
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:25   #4241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Head light washers are engaged only if the headlights are on. This is the behaviour in my 1.8 TSI - MK3 so I am guessing it should be most likely same in yours as well.
Just a little clarification: they headlight washers activate only when in auto mode and after ~5 'normal' washes or when the sensor senses that the headlights are dirty.

I also hate this feature and hence move from auto to normal before triggering the windshield washer.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:39   #4242
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just a little clarification: they headlight washers activate only when in auto mode and after ~5 'normal' washes or when the sensor senses that the headlights are dirty.

I also hate this feature and hence move from auto to normal before triggering the windshield washer.
This is interesting. For me, when the head lights are on (in auto mode), it always gets triggered the first time irrespective of head lights are clean or not. Then post that it doesn't get triggered for few wash counts.

Just checked the manual. It says:
To clean the headlights, the headlamp is also sprayed after every ten squirts.
The headlamp washer system works under the following conditions:
- The ignition is switched on
- The low beam is switched on
- The outside temperature is about -12c to +39c

Last edited by sud : 23rd January 2020 at 18:42.
Old 23rd January 2020, 23:11   #4243
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Correct. So in the evenings its annoying. Camera washer engages all the time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

5 normal washes as in? For me they get activated immediately during the first wash itself. And the head light washers make the car really messy.

Quote:
This is interesting. For me, when the head lights are on (in auto mode), it always gets triggered the first time irrespective of head lights are clean or not. Then post that it doesn't get triggered for few wash counts.

Just checked the manual. It says:
To clean the headlights, the headlamp is also sprayed after every ten squirts.
The headlamp washer system works under the following conditions:
- The ignition is switched on
- The low beam is switched on
- The outside temperature is about -12c to +39c
I have now disabled Auto Wipers from the Infotainment as well as put the Wiper Stalk to the lowest position from bottom i.e. Manual. Will again check tomorrow and see if this helps. I am keeping lights on Auto only.

The camera washer is also unnecessary in my opinion.
Old 24th January 2020, 16:54   #4244
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
The engine cover of the Octavia Onyx looks different from the regular Octavia? Not sure as this was not covered in the facelift review as well. The right side of the current one looks something like an Asus Rog Phone 2 air vent

From the official review:
First photo is TSI second TDI, they have different engine covers.
Old 24th January 2020, 16:59   #4245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
First photo is TSI second TDI, they have different engine covers.
Umm. The second photo is of my own Octavia 1.8 TSI which I had clicked at the time of delivery so unless the dealer has fooled me and sold me a diesel, I am pretty sure it is a TSI and not a TDI
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed