Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 14:19   #4306
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
TDI doesn't have the 7 speed DQ200, I think.
It had the 6 speed DQ250.
Old 12th February 2020, 16:13   #4307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
...And gearbox failures even now send chills down my spine. How about I always drive this in Manual. Either tiptronic or with the paddles. Would I be safer or still would be faced with the same probability of the DSG packing up ? I've not yet opted for extended warranty as well .
Like Vishy76 mentioned, driving in manual can extend the life of the clutch pack, but mechatronics is still active in auto or manual mode, and being an electromechanical device, can fail anytime. As Skoda honors warranty and replaces mechatronics even beyond warranty, I would suggest you just enjoy the car and not worry about gearbox failure. No point in worrying about something that "may" happen in the future and not enjoying the car in the present. I would also suggest you to take the maximum possible extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
It had the 6 speed DQ250.
DQ250 being a wet clutch unit, was a very reliable gearbox and seldom failed.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 17:08   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
I just got myself an Octavia 1.8 L&K. And gearbox failures even now send chills down my spine. How about I always drive this in Manual. Either tiptronic or with the paddles. Would I be safer or still would be faced with the same probability of the DSG packing up ? I've not yet opted for extended warranty as well .
Just relax & enjoy the car ! Don't worry too much about driving in manual mode. The only precaution I normally take is to make sure to bring it to N mode for any waiting period of 15 secs or longer & release the brake pedal post applying the handbrake. Once you do it a few times, it just becomes a natural habit.....
Even without the extended warranty you car is covered for 4 years, plus you can opt for 2 extra years at any point within the next 3 years.
BTW, I have had my L&K Tsi for 40 days now and checked the engine oil yesterday and the level seems to be fine (it was mentioned in some of the earlier posts about the car's oil guzzling issue...). Cheers and Happy Motoring.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 17:41   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak007 View Post
Yup . Battery in my Tiguan was replaced last month after nearly 17-18 months usage under warranty . As the battery has 2 yrs warranty from new , was told that this new battery has warranty for another 6 months .
Was it replaced with a Varta Battery or some other brand ?
Old 12th February 2020, 17:52   #4310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Was it replaced with a Varta Battery or some other brand ?
Original was Exide replace with Exide again.
Old 12th February 2020, 18:28   #4311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak007 View Post
Original was Exide replace with Exide again.
Original would have been from Exide Spain. Is the latter one similar or changed to Exide India?
Old 12th February 2020, 20:20   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Just relax & enjoy the car !
Even without the extended warranty you car is covered for 4 years, plus you can opt for 2 extra years at any point within the next 3 years.
Hi Timothy & all,
The warranty of my L&K TSI is valid till 24th Nov 2021. The first owner bought in Nov 2017 & I have purchased it just 2 wks ago.

Now, I'd like to know whether I can 'purchase' the extended warranty for 2 more yrs anytime hereafter.
If yes, then please guide me how I should get it done.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th February 2020 at 22:05. Reason: fixing quote tags
Old 12th February 2020, 22:05   #4313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
The warranty of my L&K TSI is valid till 24th Nov 2021. The first owner bought in Nov 2017 & I have purchased it just 2 wks ago.

Now, I'd like to know whether I can 'purchase' the extended warranty for 2 more yrs anytime hereafter.
:
Walk into any Skoda dealer and show your RC - they will accept your request once they have run your VIN through their system.

Costs:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-image1.jpeg  

itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 22:33   #4314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Walk into any Skoda dealer and show your RC - they will accept your request once they have run your VIN through their system.

Costs:
I just got my car this month and my insurance is from Reliance. I've not opted for EW yet. Since my insurance is with Reliance can I go for EW? Or would they reject it as my insurance isn't through the dealership ? That seemed to be the criteria at the time of purchase.
Old 12th February 2020, 23:04   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the details, it's surely helpful.

Now I'll soon visit the nearby dealership & try to get it done for 2 more yrs.

BTW, mine insurance is from Future Generali. Hope, this shouldn't be the excuse for them to reject the proposal.
Old 13th February 2020, 00:02   #4316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Thanks a lot for the details, it's surely helpful.

Now I'll soon visit the nearby dealership & try to get it done for 2 more yrs.

BTW, mine insurance is from Future Generali. Hope, this shouldn't be the excuse for them to reject the proposal.
Please let me know their response. I'm highly doubtful that they'll allow. They wanted me to take the in house insurance to avail the EW at the time of purchase. As mentioned mine is from RIL which is actually tied up with them and on their list too in the picture that itwasntme has shared. Your input will be valuable
Old 13th February 2020, 07:59   #4317
BHPian

Quote:
Original would have been from Exide Spain. Is the latter one similar or changed to Exide India?
Can't remember the original one . The replaced one is made in Austria
Ak007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 08:12   #4318
BHPian

15k /1 year service of my 1.8 TSI was done last weekend. Apart from the service, there was nothing else to change/ repair. Service cost came to approx 8.9k but the SA put the thought in my mind to do ac vent cleaning and I went for it. So the total bill came to 10k. Labour charges are free for first annual service ( approx 4.5k)

I had a feeling that some muffled noise is coming from brakes and mentioned that to the SA. But I couldn't replicate that when we went for a test drive and felt like a fool. anyways, the noise has vanished after the brake cleaning was done.

One important thing to note is service center is clearly mentioning to customers to NOT change battery from outside even if we are going for the same brand. He says that they have been instructed to make a note in the service history if they find any external parts in the car. I personally feel that this is an unfair tactic followed by the service centers/ dealers. I did ask him about a situation when the battery has to be changed while on a road trip and no service centers nearby. He didn't have an answer for that.

Last edited by Lambydude : 13th February 2020 at 08:13.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 08:16   #4319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know their response. I'm highly doubtful that they'll allow. They wanted me to take the in house insurance to avail the EW at the time of purchase. As mentioned mine is from RIL which is actually tied up with them and on their list too in the picture that itwasntme has shared. Your input will be valuable
Don't think it's upto the dealers to decide on applicability. See Rohan's post here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4724236 (Skoda Shield Plus with 6 year extended warranty launched)

Call a couple of dealers and quote your VIN on the phone itself. Hold while they run it through the EW system, and you'll have your answer immediately.

The issue during buying a new Octavia is that Skoda Shield is a bundled Y1 insurance + Y1-3 RSA + Y5+6 EW. This package is through selected insurers only. But you are now buying the standalone 2 year extra EW which they are duty-bound to sell to you.

For example, my Octavia was bought ~6 months before the offer commenced, and it is conclusively not applicable on my car solely based on the VIN. Even Skoda IN folks stated it was just not possible.

Dealers should not have any say in the matter now that you have bought the car. Do make the calls and post the reaction here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
One important thing to note is service center is clearly mentioning to customers to NOT change battery from outside even if we are going for the same brand. He says that they have been instructed to make a note in the service history if they find any external parts in the car. I personally feel that this is an unfair tactic followed by the service centers/ dealers.
Thanks, will you call and ask what is the current rate, brand & warranty for their OEM battery? Interesting to know as I changed to Exide India DIN60 for only 6.2K.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th February 2020 at 09:18. Reason: As requested.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:07   #4320
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, will you call and ask what is the current rate, brand & warranty for their OEM battery? Interesting to know as I changed to Exide India DIN60 for only 10K.
I'm sure it is higher than this. SA told me that even if it may be 2-3k higher in our service center, it is better to go with us for peace of mind. I will check and update the price.

Another question I have related to insurance is can I change my insurance provider in the second year. I have taken Skoda shield which comes bundled with 1 yr comprehensive + 2-3 year third party and 5-6 year RSA. Do I have to stick to the same insurance provider when I renew? If yes, what could be the benefits? Will I get a discount on premium since I already have third party insurance.
Appreciate any inputs on this.

Last edited by Lambydude : 13th February 2020 at 09:11.

Most Viewed