Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:32   #4486
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

NO THERE IS NO CHANCE THE SERVICE CENTER REPLACED YOUR BRAKE DISCS. This is completely normal. Try looking immediately after a long-ish drive. Even if you just do forward / reverse with the brake pedal slightly applied, in your parking, this should go away in less than 2-3 minutes of doing that. Do you experience anything else? Brake fade? reduced braking power? have you replaced the brake oil lately?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:58   #4487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyushjaiswal View Post
Hello Team. This is my 1st post here on this forum and I seek the wise counsel of all the experts here.
My 1.5 yrs old Octavia has started developing rust on brake discs. I'm attaching the pictures for reference. I noticed these just yesterday evening after returning home from a drive. The car has been driven regularly barring a month of lockdown. Odo has clocked 21.5 k kms till now and has been serviced on time. Could someone help me in figuring out how could this happen in just 1.5 yrs?
Although, on a side note, I had given my car to the service centre few days back for 5 days to rectify an electronics fault. Could the service centre have replaced the discs?
Don't worry this is pretty normal. My 5 month old Octavia has the same thing. I will attribute it to less usage due to the lockdown and current movement restrictions and and a far 'above average' rainfall we have had in Delhi in the last 2-3 months or so.
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:41   #4488

Mod note: Avoid creating back to back post, instead use Muti Quote [Quote+] to select multiple posts for a single reply. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
To me this is a very normal thing. Specially due to the lockdowns etc. the cars are parked for longer, this should ordinarily go after some driving and use of brakes. Even the usage of brakes has reduced with less traffic!
I did drive the car for more than 800 kms in the last week, and the car was stationary only for a day, when it rained heavily. Could that be the reason behind this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
NO THERE IS NO CHANCE THE SERVICE CENTER REPLACED YOUR BRAKE DISCS. This is completely normal. Try looking immediately after a long-ish drive. Even if you just do forward / reverse with the brake pedal slightly applied, in your parking, this should go away in less than 2-3 minutes of doing that. Do you experience anything else? Brake fade? reduced braking power? have you replaced the brake oil lately?
Thanks for removing that doubt, I gues I was being a little paranoid I might be going for a slightly long drive in the next couple of days probably, will try and check immediately post it. Didn't experience any other problem be it brake fade, any noise or reduced braking power. The car underwent regular service at 15k kms and nothing before/after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Don't worry this is pretty normal. My 5 month old Octavia has the same thing. I will attribute it to less usage due to the lockdown and current movement restrictions and and a far 'above average' rainfall we have had in Delhi in the last 2-3 months or so.
Thanks Timothy. After consulting a few more people, I also feel that the unexpected heavy rainfall might have a role to play in this. The usage has been fairly consistent in the last 2-3 weeks, with a 800 kms cumulative drive in the last week.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd June 2020 at 18:00. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:13   #4489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
Recently while driving in the city on empty roads I noticed that Octavia 1.8 TSI gave me an efficiency of 14 KM/L. I was driving at about 50-60 kmph all the time as roads were empty. The oil temp was however 109~110 C. Now on the contrary if I do speedy runs on highway the oil temp settles at 105 C. No matter how hard I press the throttle on the highway and even if I go to the max the oil temp is 105. I have checked this multiple times on several runs. Does anyone have an idea what should be the ideal oil temp for Indian models on Indian roads.
Normally as a thumb rule in most modern cars, a cause for concern should be only if the oil temperature touches or exceeds 120 degree C. This could then indicate a problem with the car. The oil temperature, unlike the coolant temp., can fluctuate depending on your driving style.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:36   #4490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Normally as a thumb rule in most modern cars, a cause for concern should be only if the oil temperature touches or exceeds 120 degree C.
Thanks for your response Timothy. Somewhere on team BHP I happened to read that 100-110 degree C is acceptable for octavia. There are some European users on internet who have reported oil temp going beyond 120 degree C in their cold climatic conditions when accelerated hard for too long. However I'm not sure if skoda has set any threshold for what is too high.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 19:23   #4491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
Thanks for your response Timothy. Somewhere on team BHP I happened to read that 100-110 degree C is acceptable for octavia. There are some European users on internet who have reported oil temp going beyond 120 degree C in their cold climatic conditions when accelerated hard for too long. However I'm not sure if skoda has set any threshold for what is too high.
Yes that's true. For European cold climatic conditions the red line is often 140 degree C !
Old 24th June 2020, 08:29   #4492
BHPian

Hi,

My octavia 2015 model has error showing up with bypass coolant error after inspection,
the service guy(local but known guy) says the sensor is gone everything else is fine.
And the sensor costs about 11k. Its coolant bypass sensor not coolant sensor.

Any one has experience with this unit, not able to get one in bangalore. Service guy is trying since few days from various source but getting delayed.

Looking for cost review and spareparts source from where I can get ASAP.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20200624-8.23.45-am.jpeg
Old 24th June 2020, 12:03   #4493
BHPian

Just for the info of anyone who is interested. The 25th week 2020 updated maps for the HU are now available at https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/
docsinghal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 16:13   #4494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
My octavia 2015 model has error showing up with bypass coolant error after inspection,
the service guy(local but known guy) says the sensor is gone everything else is fine.
And the sensor costs about 11k. Its coolant bypass sensor not coolant sensor.
It is a magnetic solenoid valve, that sits between the water pump and the turbo charger as per the information I found in the workshop repair manual. Price quoted to you seems absolutely reasonable. If you have active extended warranty, this should be covered as part of the cooling system. If your mileage is under 1,00,000 Kms, it should cover under goodwill warranty too, but that is a later battle you might want to enter into. Right now just try sourcing the part and get the car back on the road. Part numbers 4H0121671B OR 4H0121671D. Don't know which one of them will they be sourcing for you. Find details here Such parts are sometimes available on e-Bay too, so do have a look around on international e-Bay pages.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 23:05   #4495
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyushjaiswal View Post
My 1.5 yrs old Octavia has started developing rust on brake discs.
This is absolutely normal for any car which isn't having the ceramic discs. the car has been parked for long, discs start getting rust marks even after 5-6 hours of a wash - this is for entire lockdown duration.

Just go on a drive, take it easy for initial 1-2 kms and then drive around normally - the discs will be back to their old glory again.
Old 24th June 2020, 23:08   #4496

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
This is absolutely normal for any car which isn't having the ceramic discs. the car has been parked for long, discs start getting rust marks even after 5-6 hours of a wash - this is for entire lockdown duration.

Just go on a drive, take it easy for initial 1-2 kms and then drive around normally - the discs will be back to their old glory again.
Thanks Vkumar. Drove my Octavia for 2 days back to back in a manner illucidated by all and eager to check the results tomorrow.
Old 25th June 2020, 23:47   #4497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post
The 25th week 2020 updated maps for the HU are now available at https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

Thanks docsinghal for the info.

Got the Navigation Maps Update installed in my TSI L&K (2017 make) today.
It obviously took some time, still the entire process went quite smoothly.

First the SD card provided by Skoda was taken out & was formatted, of course after getting the backup of previous version saved to PC.
Then the Maps Update (3.3:GB) was downloaded from Skoda Update Portal to the PC & subsequently copied the folder to the SD card.
The SD card then inserted to the port in the glove box & the Update was retrieved automatically by the Car Navigation System.

The previous Maps Version read as-
5L0051236AB
MRM1 2017/18
SHIELD: SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309)

And now the Newer one reads as-
5L0051236BT
MRM2 2020/21
SHIELD: SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309)

Yet to check the 'on road' performance though.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200625_224641__01.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 25th June 2020 at 23:49. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 14:52   #4498
BHPian

The maps are updated twice a year, in week 25 and 45.
I have been updating them regularly since I got my Octavia in 2018. With most of us using CarPlay or Android Auto, the inbuilt navigation is hardly used and the maps are nowhere close to Google or Apple maps but it's just on of those things to know that you have the latest version.😛
Old 30th June 2020, 15:16   #4499
BHPian

Hi guys, I have an urgent inquiry. I have come across a pre-worshipped skoda octavia 1.8 tsi L&K 2019 february make and registered in april 2019. The car is in mint condition and just with a little over 10,000 km on the odo. There is not even a single scratch on the car body except for a minor scratch on the running board. Interiors are as good as new. I have checked the service history at skoda and they have confirmed that the car has just been serviced once (first free service recently) without any issues.

The owner has come down to 17.25 lac last without any further negotiation. Considering the fact that the car is under warranty for another 32-33 odd months and can be extended to 5th-6th year, is it a good deal for the car? I instantly fell in love with the car when I saw it in person and took a test drive.

Thanks.
Old 30th June 2020, 16:14   #4500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivWason17 View Post
The owner has come down to 17.25 lac last without any further negotiation.
If all the above information is truly genuine, then buy with eyes closed.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks