Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 02:39   #4651
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Hello Friends,

My 2017 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI that has run 21000 kms did not start 10 days ago. This was after a 50 km drive to the outskirts of bangalore and then during return, i had parked it for 10 mins with engine turned off. On my return, I cranked the car and it refused to start. And the cranking sound continued until I switch off the ignition.

After this, I attempted to even push the car and try the jump start in 1st and 2nd gears and that dint help either.
If it's not at all cranking and the injectors were healthy before this, please strongly consider the possibility of a failed ECU. As much as I would like to rule this out, some of the symptoms do point to this issue. Does it show an error pertaining to a certain group or injector bank when scanned BTW?

The ECU lies directly beneath the windshield cowl area and if the drains there are clogged, water accumulation and exposure might have caused it to short and fail.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 11:33. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 2nd November 2020, 03:32   #4652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Thanks! But your solution from #4554 did not work for me. The instrument cluster said 'Cannot detect key'
That's correct but still I think, you somehow just might have missed the procedure.

Once you enter the car with dead remote fob, you need to press the 'Start/ stop' button with the remote fob itself that with the metallic end.
Additionally, the car has to be in 'P' mode (if it's an Automatic) and you have to press the brake pedal while trying to start the engine.

If at all you had followed the entire process correctly and still the engine didn't crank, then the theory of 'Synchronization' may contain something more that we need to learn, I guess.
Old 11th November 2020, 16:16   #4653
BHPian

Hoping this is the right thread, does anyone have news or confirmation of launch date for the new Octavia? Am in the market to replace my 2013 Jetta and completely unimpressed with anything on offer in the market right now.
Old 11th November 2020, 19:40   #4654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Hoping this is the right thread, does anyone have news or confirmation of launch date for the new Octavia?
There isn't a concrete launch timeline yet for the MK4 Octavia yet but from Zac's latest tweets, we can safely assume that the Octavia will be launched sometime during the first quarter of 2021.
Old 17th November 2020, 14:23   #4655
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Anyone who thinks that the DSG's problems have been magically solved is just kidding himself. It is a defective design.

Sherin Kamath shares this with us:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

I am writing to seek your assistance on escalating the issue of my new Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI AT. I, Capt. Sherin Kamath purchased the car from JMD Skoda (Sanpada, Navi Mumbai) in January 2019. The car has been driven for 2200 kms and is in brand new condition, not even a single scratch.

Currently, the car is at the Bhandup workshop due to mechatronics failure. The car had to be towed on 28th October 2020. I have been following up with Skoda India for speeding up the process but they seem to be lackadaisical on their approach towards the whole issue. They need to be called and asked for follow-ups again.

As per the workshop, the mechatronic will take a minimum of 20 days to arrive and my car is presently just sitting in the workshop.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201105wa0024.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201105wa0025.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201105wa0026.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201105wa0027.jpg
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:29   #4656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Anyone who thinks that the DSG's problems have been magically solved is just kidding himself. It is a defective design.
Ah, the mechatronics gremlin rears its ugly head yet again, for the umpteenth time. I was almost convinced by various posts on public domain that DSG issues have been sorted by now, but that is evidently not the case. Real pity, because the VAG cars (especially the Octavia) are built well and look good and perform well too - but the mechanical reliability is just so uninspiring that conservative customers like myself would usually prefer to stay away from the brand when any purchase decision comes up.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 17th November 2020 at 14:35.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:55   #4657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yikes. My girlfriend's father bought his 1.8 TSI L&K in Jan 2019 as well. No points for guessing who suggested the car. Read more here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4530435

To be honest, the owner should just thank his stars that the incident happened inside the warranty period; however, the car is only 2258 KMs old so that's way too early. Smells something fishy here? The car has hardly run in.

Also, when buying this particular variant, I would go through with the purchase knowing fully that this is inevitable and will happen sooner or later.

Last edited by Pancham : 17th November 2020 at 14:58.
Old 17th November 2020, 15:17   #4658
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2081224

Attachment 2081225

Attachment 2081226

Attachment 2081227
Car bought in Jan 2019 and run for just 2200 kms. Even if we account for the post Covid lack of commute, 2.2K kms in almost 2 years is a bit low. However, this should not have had anything to do with DSG failure.

I'm sure that anyone who bought a DSG car is somewhere is his mind ready for something like this and would have got the extended warranty.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th November 2020 at 23:38. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 17th November 2020, 15:30   #4659
Senior - BHPian

I wonder when the DSG issues will finally get resolved! No wonder the Polo/ Vento/Rapid got the TC gearbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Yikes. My girlfriend's father bought his 1.8 TSI L&K in Jan 2019 as well. No points for guessing who suggested the car. Read more here.
Did you suggest that car to go on long drives with it or was it a far sighted plan of breaking up with her?
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:37   #4660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I wonder when the DSG issues will finally get resolved! No wonder the Polo/ Vento/Rapid got the TC gearbox!

Did you suggest that car to go on long drives with it or was it a far sighted plan of breaking up with her?
Haha. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, I will get to experience the Octavia for a long highway as we head to Gopalpur on Saturday - a cool 1300km drive (round).
Old 17th November 2020, 17:25   #4661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
I'm sure that anyone who bought a DSG car is somewhere is his mind ready for something like this and would have got the extended warranty.
That is a cozy trap called warranty, It does not help at all.

Imagine you have booked a nice resort, bags are packed for 3 nights, now you are 300 Kms away from home and the gearbox gives up, your vacation is done. The car is also gone out of service for the next few weeks.

When there is a reliability suspect of global proportions you do not rely on extended warranty, you simply avoid the vehicle altogether.
Kosfactor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 21:20   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
That is a cozy trap called warranty,
Exactly. Warranty/Extended warranty is a sorry excuse for VW to continue with the DQ 200 gear box.

The same box is doing duty in T roc and Karok. I guess T Cross, Kamiq and other iterations from VW group will also have this box.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th November 2020 at 23:37. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:32   #4663
BANNED

Gentlemen, is it so that this DSG box is more reliable with diesel cars? I have a Laura TDi DSG (6 speed) in my circles, the car has been as reliable as a brick. My TSi MT and this TDi were both bought on same date, probably it was too auspicious a day - both the cars have been superbly reliable, especially the TDi, which has gone past 1.6 lac kms as of now, in 8th year of ownership.

That said, only and solely because of this DSG/DCT issue I have seen cropping in a few cars in my extended circles:
1 Polo TSi
1 Octavia TSi
1 Superb TSi
1 Superb TDi
1 Ecosport DCT

I am convinced and can safely say that these dual clutch boxes are not for our desi netas and contractors in UP, Scorpio et' all are probably purposely built for them. I am quite convinced that there is something wrong with the dual clutch gearboxes itself, and hence have started to maintain a distance with these DCT/DSG gearboxes. Nothing beats the good, old, and reliable TCs.

Last edited by VKumar : 18th November 2020 at 08:33.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 10:29   #4664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was expecting a more measured response from you.
DQ200 is known to be faulty. DQ250 is more reliable.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 10:49   #4665
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With this low mileage car, this is very fishy. Yes, DQ200 are known to fail, but not at this mileage, at this mileage its as rare as any gearbox failing. So I'll take these facts with a pinch of salt.

I still own 2 DQ200 cars, the Polo GT (70k) and Octavia (6k), the only time I feel the gearbox can give up is when the service center guys abuse it. They absolutely do nothing that is supposed to be the best practices for the DSG. The aggressive jerks, wheelspins and the extended holding in D, they do everything wrong. I almost feel they take away 10k of gearbox life with every service.

Yes, it is a sensitive gearbox, and it feels so! Lets see, how do my cars fare, I really feel the story is not as sad as it is often made out to be here.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks