Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 16:49   #136
BHPian

Re: Nissan Terrano : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Possible answers I can think off are:
1. Someone more inclined towards the exterior looks which in my opinion look really a lot better than the Duster.
2. Nissan has probably a better service set up and comes with that Japanese hassle free image ( ground realities might be different though).
I still do not a single justification (other than their understanding with Renault) for the overall prices hike of a Terrano over the Duster across the range. In fact there are quite some useful features missing such as steering controls. I still find the front and rear look of the Duster a lot better. There is nothing magically different in the Terrano. It will surely be a tough fight for Nissan to keep it competitive enough to sell large numbers.
sunny13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 18:15   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
Maybe Avenue Nissan is overwhelmed by the great response for the Terrano. (Though the showroom was deserted on all my visits). Still remember the swarm of customers in showrooms when the Duster and Ecosport were launched. Shot out a mail to Nissan, lets see their take on this!
You did the right thing. They don't deserve your business. No car maker can tell you to buy Insurance or anyother thing compulsory from them other than the car itself. I am really surprised but on the dealer's attitude here. Nissan is struggling to sell any of its models and even then they have this arrogance!
Old 18th October 2013, 19:06   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Does it make sense to book the Terrano now and get the delivery in December or get the delivery in January so that we get a 2014 make?
When you go to sell the car a few years down the line, the December 13 car becomes one year older than the January 14 car though for all practical purposes it is just a month older. It will be valued accordingly by the used car dealers.
Old 18th October 2013, 20:05   #139
P76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
Terrano Welcome Kit

Where did you address your concern? Let us know how it goes. We have the right to choose our own insurance. Surprised they were Ok to see a booking taken back cause of this!
I had mailed my grievance to Nissan Customer care, and got a call immediately in the morning from the Dealer, they tendered their apologies, and offered to take the booking now, albeit with my own Insurance. Also got a call from Nissan-Mumbai, who too offered their regret over the happening, and assured me of the best of service from Nissan. This has bolstered Nissan's commitment in my mind, but I think the dealer's attitude does not warrant any excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanspeedo View Post
Dear fellow BHPian , I happen to have a very close friend in the company and I shared your post with him , I am sure this will be taken up by them soon. Nissan is trying hard to work in an ethical manner and do business with good customer satisfaction, hoping that they succeed.
Yes pal, I did get a call from Nissan's marketing division in Mumbai, he did say he read the post in Team-Bhp and honestly I am satisfied with the hands-on approach. But I believe a lot has to be done to bring the dealers in line with their strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahadevan View Post

Good decision taking the cheque back. If this is the dealers attitude at the time of booking a vehicle, I can imagine what the service experience will be.....

On the subject of Insurance, when I bought my XUV early this year I had a quote of around 49k from the dealer and I got an online quote for about 35k from Royal Sundaram for the same coverage. Thankfully, the dealer promptly matched that and I was smiling ear to ear. So its not a 1000 rupee game as you will imagine. The stakes are high
The dealer had quoted Rs.35500 for the XV Diesel 110Ps, my agent's quote was Rs.25,300, and if I were to go in for bumper-to-bumper, it was slightly higher at Rs.30,500. the difference between the dealer and my agent was 10k, which is daylight robbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You did the right thing. They don't deserve your business. No car maker can tell you to buy Insurance or anyother thing compulsory from them other than the car itself. I am really surprised but on the dealer's attitude here. Nissan is struggling to sell any of its models and even then they have this arrogance!
@drmohitg, true the Dealers seem to be overwhelmed by the 6000+ bookings garnered ny the Terrano, after sitting idle with the previous launches like Evalia !.

Last edited by P76 : 18th October 2013 at 20:19. Reason: Added more words
P76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 21:19   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had mailed my grievance to Nissan Customer care, and got a call immediately in the morning from the Dealer, they tendered their apologies, and offered to take the booking now, albeit with my own Insurance. Also got a call from Nissan-Mumbai, who too offered their regret over the happening, and assured me of the best of service from Nissan. This has bolstered Nissan's commitment in my mind, but I think the dealer's attitude does not warrant any excuse.
Thats a welcome move by Nissan. Atleast you know that they are keen to make things right. So are you going to go ahead with your booking then? Perhaps with a different dealer?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 23:20   #141
P76
BHPian

@drmohitg, yes I will be booking the car, I am yet to visit the other dealer. BTW, please find below the calculation given by my agent on the Insurance, I could choose between 3 renowned companies:

Ex-showroom price of car-Rs.12,14,862
(Terrano-XV D110ps)-Chennai

Mandatory deduction of 5% in vehicle cost works out to-Rs.11,54,119
Insurance charge - 3.283% of 11,54,119 ---------- Rs. 37,890
less 45% discount on Rs.37,890 ---------- Rs. 17,050
---------------
Rs. 20,840
Add 3'rd party claim --------- Rs. 1,110
Add Driver/Owner cover -------- Rs. 100
Add Paid Driver -------- Rs. 50
Add Passenger (5 pax) -------- Rs. 500
---------------
Rs. 22,600
Surcharge @ 12.36% Rs. 2,793
----------------
Net Premium Rs. 25,293

The dealer had quoted Rs.35,474 for the same, a cool 10K more !. Who amongst us would like to pay more? The quote for bumper to bumper given by my agent was around 30k.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Terrano : Official Review-dsc001571.jpg  

Old 19th October 2013, 10:05   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The dealer had quoted Rs.35,474 for the same, a cool 10K more !. Who amongst us would like to pay more? The quote for bumper to bumper given by my agent was around 30k.
Well that is good to know that you are still holding on to the Terrano. The dealer quotes are almost in all cases much higher than market quotes and a lot of buyers fall for there tricks such as mandatory insurance from dealer and the promise that insurance done from dealer will be cashless and all others full of problems.
Do opt for the bumper to bumper / 0 depreciation cover. Highly recommended and worth the extra premium!
Old 19th October 2013, 15:33   #143
BHPian

With the top end 110 bhp Terrano priced at Rs. 12.46 lakh ex showroom and the W8 Mahindra XUV500 at Rs. 13.41 lakh ex showroom, does it still make sense to go for the terrano or one should move on to the xuv?
Old 19th October 2013, 16:49   #144
BHPian

My brother in law just took delivery in Goa of the first Nissan Terrano (XL plus 85PS). Since I am here right now, I went with him for the delivery. I got a chance to drive it on the way home halfway. My father has also booked the XV variant in Mumbai,and we have been told to expect a December delivery.

My thoughts:

-Silver painted door handles feel and look cheap. Same goes for the door armrest inside the car they XL has silver ones ,the piano black finish on the XV looks far better

-The Horn is weak. Definitely going to upgrade the horn.

-The lack of storage slots inside the cabin irritated me. Other than the space given in the center of the dash, there is no practical space to keep items quickly. The storage space with the lid on top would have been better if they had given it like how they have on the duster (without a lid). I felt the cup holders were too tiny to accommodate my Note 2.

- Key feels cheap. Nissan could have provided with a better looking key.

- The Terrano if fun to drive. The steering is light and the feedback is good. The gear on the 85PS on was smooth, too smooth for my liking. I like the confirmation feedback when I shift gears. The Turn indicators beep instead of the clicking sound, that will take getting used to (for me).

- I don't care much for steering mounted controls, so that omission didn't bother me at all.

- The chrome rings around the aircon vents look classy. The A.C itself isn't an absolute chiller but it performed well. It is a hot day today (35 degrees according to my phone) and while the car stayed cool through-out the drive home, it didn't freeze me to my bones. I was against the rear aircon on our XV initially, but now I will welcome it.

-The rear-seat belt brackets have no place to be neatly tucked in and look shabby just lying there on the rear bench.

- The Alloy rims look very very good.

- The door mounted power window unit didn't bother me at all.

- The rear seat doesn't have the leg space you get on much cheaper sedans, but it was sufficient for me (5' 8) and the rear seat was extremely comfortable. I feel sick sitting behind on the twisty-turny roads on the fortuner, but I was fine in the Terrano.
to sum it up : brilliant ride and good NVH levels.

- Boot is big. I don't see myself ever needing more space.

- Hydraulic lift on the bonnet is a nice touch.

- The guys at A.M Nissan(Goa) were very professional and polite.

The vehicle gets registered on Monday and will be only driving it again then. I drove it for about 15 minutes only so its too early to say anymore.

Last edited by heatednemz : 19th October 2013 at 17:09. Reason: uploading picture
heatednemz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 18:48   #145
vij
BHPian

I am 90% set on the Nissan Terrano XL Petrol. My usage is 500km per month only and so diesel would be wasted on me. Prefer the petrol refinement over the diesel power.

I have been postponing my purchase for the past 18 months with the hope that I would be able to go for the BMW 1, but certain things changed and my current priorities have altered..

@heatednemz
Car looks handsome indeed! Feels tad more upmarket compared to the Duster.

They have slapped the Pathfinder's Front on the Terrano - which is cool

Last edited by vij : 19th October 2013 at 19:02.
vij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 20:29   #146
BHPian

A re-badged Duster is somewhat of a disappointment by Nissan. Will people buy it just for the logo ? And a vehicle is not a proper SUV unless it has 4WD - pity there are so many of these 'pretenders' in India !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 22:34   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
A re-badged Duster is somewhat of a disappointment by Nissan. Will people buy it just for the logo ? And a vehicle is not a proper SUV unless it has 4WD - pity there are so many of these 'pretenders' in India !
Thar and Gurkha do a better job as 4x4. How many XUVs or Fortuner do you seen at an off-roading circuit?

Crossovers give you benefits of both world. More space than a car but car like handling.

Terrano is more than what meets the eye. One needs to do careful selection based on features.

Terrano apart from styling has sheet metal change as well and is a heavier vehicle.
Old 21st October 2013, 22:48   #148
vij
BHPian

Wen to vibrant Nissan hyd. The terrano looks classy... looks better than in pictures. I got a quote of 9.95lac ex showroom and 11.62 otr hyd for petrol xl. Alloys that are present on top end models would cost 50k extra.. but they refuse to take back the current wheels... so dnt know what do do with them.. sell them somewhere?

Going to settle on bronze color... also do u guys think the roof spoiler addon will look good on the terrano?

Last edited by vij : 21st October 2013 at 23:06.
Old 21st October 2013, 22:55   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkumar View Post
Even I was thinking the same changing from my TDCi Titanium to Terrano but after seeing deserted Nissan showroom in Queens road and bad interiors of Terrano along with its pricing felt that it doesn't deserve to be paid 4L extra for 20Bhp extra. I'm 6'2 and completely hated Duster's and Terrano's seat height adjust its such a pity that it comes only in top end but i didn't like the range since no telescopic adjust for steering it doesn't help much
I honestly feel we can buy Ecosport Titanium TDCi and Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 instead of buying Duster or Terrano
You can really think of buying a Safari Storme or a XUV500. They are 7 seaters and much more powerful as well along with the road presence and seating/boot space than the Terrano. Terrano is absurdly priced just like the Fortuner.
Old 21st October 2013, 23:38   #150
BHPian

Any news on any upgrades coming up on the feature list or interiors?

Most Viewed