Team-BHP - Nissan Terrano : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Nissan Terrano : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/142751-nissan-terrano-official-review-3.html)

Thank you Renault-Nissan for again taking consumers for a ride.

I hope, such a lackluster vehicle will put some sense in their management brains.

What exactly is new in this vehicle? Nothing worthwhile.

I am disappointed.

Review is spot on. Appreciate the efforts gone in the review.

/A Duster owner.

Lovely review as always guys but a question cropped up while reading through the well detailed posts - which Indian cars / SUVs currently offer the sliding rear seat as a feature?

I remember watching an old episode of Top Gear where they showed the different permutations and combinations that were possible with sliding & completely folding rear seats of a car (the Yeti's Varioflex system?) & I remember thinking to myself that it would be fantastic if Indian car makers followed suit.

Thank you for a superb 5-star review, n_aditya and parrys! It's as comprehensive and detailed as can possibly be. Thanks to Stratos, Ampere and Rehaan as well. The reviews on Team-BHP are simply miles ahead of the rest. :thumbs up

Nissan have done a commendable job of facelifting (oops, badge-engineering) the already excellent Duster. The Terrano looks much better inside and out, and more importantly, has a good spread of safety features across the entire range. This makes every rupee of the premium over the Duster fully justified (for the XE and XL variants, for sure). clap: My main grouse with Nissan is that they haven't provided RHD controls. As a Japanese company, they should have understood the importance of providing RHD controls. It's cheaper than making sheet metal changes and I don't understand why this was skipped.

It's upto Renault now to introduce the Duster facelift with a good spread of safety features, at competitive prices. Together with the Terrano, the Duster is more than capable of fending off the challenge from the extremely value-for-money EcoSport, and these three modern monocoque compact SUVs are capable of eating away the marketshare of the old, crude, poorly finished and obese body-on-frame rivals.

Nissan must ask their master franchise, Hover, to pull up their socks and improve the sales and after-sales experience. The disinterest and incompetence exhibited during the sales experience at Nissan dealerships across the country can do immense damage to Nissan (and Datsun, too), if this is not rectified at the earliest.

Appreciate the detail in the review guys - yet another 5* review!! I mean, body colored windshield drain panel - whatay awesome observation! Kudos!

Now someone help me understand whether Nissan/Renault thinks the customers are fools?
We have YET ANOTHER badge-engineered vehicle with cosmetic changes, which is 120kg heavier, costs 82k (+VAT) more - primarily for a driver airbag?

I mean, Nissan - seriously, cmon! Is this the same brand that introduced the Micra Active and is contemplating the Datsun Go - demonstrating a keen awareness of India's price sensitive customer? I am lost here.

Otherwise, if priced at par (or very slightly above) with Duster, it would've made a lot of sense for me as my next upgrade in 2015 or so.

Is there any BHPian here that is among those 6000 which booked it (over the Duster!) - can they share their decision making process to help me understand what I am missing?

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 3261340)

Is there any BHPian here that is among those 6000 which booked it (over the Duster!) - can they share their decision making process to help me understand what I am missing?

Possible answers I can think off are:
1. Someone more inclined towards the exterior looks which in my opinion look really a lot better than the Duster.
2. Nissan has probably a better service set up and comes with that Japanese hassle free image ( ground realities might be different though).

With the top end variant priced close to the 15L mark, it almost costs as much as the 2 tonne monster truck aka the safari strome.

The mid variant of the safari storme and top end variant of nissan terrano fall under the same price band. The storme is much more heavier than the terrano/duster cousins, has an extra row at the rear and obviously more bells and whistles than the bare bone duster/terrano cousins.

I seriously don't understand the ridiculous pricing for a built to cost compact SUV. I still remember that we paid only about 11L on road for a fully loaded Toyota Innova back in 2005.

Name:  123.PNG
Views: 13798
Size:  15.5 KB Name:  234.PNG
Views: 8440
Size:  7.6 KB

Amazing review again as always. I am really disappointed with the price and cant think of reason to pay so much.

Think I will wait for mahindra to release w4 since I still have time till February to buy the car

Regards

Great review as usual. I don't even feel the need to say that anymore.

Definitely better than the Duster but pricing is way too high. 14+ for the Top end Diesel OTR Mumbai is too expensive for what you get IMHO.

I had seen the car last week while contemplating whether to cancel my Ecosport allotment. Pricing threw me off ~30% higher pricing on the top end variant than the Eco with fewer features is not justifiable. Add to that the ugly space consuming AC vent, which looks like an afterthought

Good Review of the Terrano, itching to know what could be the reason for the additional 100 Kgs kerb weight over the Duster. Could it be additional sound Dampening or thicker sheet metal? ( 1 Kg steel sells for about Rs.40-45 retail, so shouldn't the Terrano cost 100*40=Rs.4000/- only more than the Duster? :uncontrol)
The Vehicle in the Nissan Showroom had an Alloy Spare wheel. Wonder how to make a 5 wheel rotation with a steel spare - Dismounting the unused spare tyre from the steel rims and fitting another one or do just a 4 wheel rotation?

A Cracker of a review! Thanks for sharing, Aditya and Parrys!

After seeing the Terrano, I feel that Nissan has got it's bases covered and is serious about capturing an enticing slice of Compact SUV segment. After all, unlike the hatchback segment, you can count the contenders in this segment on your fingertips as it is relatively less crowded. But, messy ergonomics are an area where they could have improved upon. Nonetheless, I couldn't find a single major flaw which could act as a deal-breaker for buyers of SUV segment, except the pathetic after-sales service. They need to realize that short term pain in training their dealerships would give them long term gain. Read more about this here. I still feel that XUV is better than the 110 Terrano in terms of VFM, but the styling of Terrano is anyday better than the overdone-XUV, which looks outlandish IMHO. My verdict? The Terrano is just a Duster in a smarter-suit which could be a deciding-factor for many!

PS A 5* rating to this detailed review!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Excellent review on Team BHP once again! Found the comparo with Ecosport and Duster very relevant as those are the real world competitors for Terrano, at least theoretically, because practically it seems to be a lost cause for Nissan.

Though i personally found Terrano a better put together package (as compared to Duster), it's a shame about Nissan-Renault pricing agreement. At a more competitive price this would have been a good buy. I guess the only USP on which Nissan can possibly sell Terrano is to offer an AWD version.

Only good thing to come about from Terrano launch is that it's convinced me to continue with my Ecosport booking!

Of-course Terrano looks better than Duster whilst this is not going to make a dent on Ecosport's number but unfortunately on their own Duster. Why on earth a Joint Venture should launch two vehicles with no much changes repeatedly (both interior and exterior) at-least to a layman's eyes? In my personal opinion Nissan could have bought more distinctive changes to the interior / exterior trims and more importantly placed few grands lesser than the overpriced Duster. Having said all I'm also interested to wait and watch how successful this is going to be on Indian market?

Terrano accessories include audio controls for the steering and third row seats.

For the variants that do not feature alloy wheels as standard, the diamond-cut 16-inch rim will be available as an accessory. Nissan will also offer exterior accessories such as a side step, trunk finisher, exhaust finisher, roof spoiler, mudguards and door visors. Additionally, four different body graphics are also on offer.
For the seats,there are two fabric covers, four artificial leather covers and one beige leather cover. Cushions, seat belt pads and neck pillows are also available. Other comfort-oriented accessories include carpet mats, rear window curtains, side window curtains and steering wheel covers.

Surprisingly, Nissan will be offering a third row seat as part of the optional accessories. Though this is not an adult seat, it should suffice for small kids for short distances.
Coming to the gadgetry, the Terrano can be specced with a reverse parking sensor with an integrated display on the rear view mirror. From the image, it seems that this integrated display will also house the tripmeter and would come with an automatic day/night function.

Nissan also offers audio controls that strap into the steering wheel. The controls are grouped on a remote and a strap attaches the remote to the inner circumference of the wheel.

Source:IAB

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3261445)
Terrano accessories include audio controls for the steering and third row seats.

Cool! Some of these accessories are already part of Renault official accessories list. Hope to see the new ones landing in Renault accessories as well. Side window curtains, if it came as OEM, it should be legal I guess.