Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2014, 08:51   #451
BHPian

Re: Nissan Terrano : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirren07 View Post
on highways i have doubts about it going past 120.
No worries, 85ps has plenty of juice over 100kmph. I've done 150kmph on quite a few empty stretches, our roads are not meant for such speeds, so I keep it down. More than the condition of the roads, it is the element of surprise lurking everywhere we need to look out for.

110ps does better on highway because of the 6th gear which relaxes the engine rpm and you still have a punch without downshift for quick overtake.
Its a great highway cruiser. This will also help maintain a higher average speed for long distance drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
How is the 85ps with regards to overtaking performance say you are at 100 and want to overtake a car does it run out of breath?
I usually drive my Duster 85ps at around 110kmph on highways. It is able to maintain a steady momentum at that speed and overtaking is just a tap on accelerator. Need to shift gears only for some enthusiastic quick overtaking.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 10:55   #452
BHPian

but a word of caution here: the 85 does run out of juice in a very typical situation on the highways.
On 2 lane roads.
If you have vehicle coming towards you from the opposite direction and you yourself are overtaking a vehicle from the right- be very cautious.
The 85 or lemme hazard a guess, the K9K engine itself; runs out of steam pretty fast and while you will see a lot of huffing and puffing of the engine- you will not see outright acceleration needed to complete this (possibly) risky but not entirely foreseeable maneuvering.
Consider yourself warned !
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 10:59   #453
Team-BHP Support

That is actually true. Where the 85 excels is the nice sedate style of drive. I wont push it to the limit esp, while overtaking when someone is approaching you from the other side on the a 2-lane road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 13:39   #454
BHPian

As has been said earlier as well. Just a repeat.

The two engines come from two different worlds. These engines have proved their mantle with BHPians on highways two treacherous routes, Leh & Sikkim. So it totally depends on your kind of driving needs

85ps - Is a great for city and hill drives where high speed is not a necessity. That doesn't mean it is dull on highway, three figures come by easy

110ps - is the highway cruiser with good speed and a relaxed engine. For the enthusiasts who want to enjoy that turbo punch. Rounds up to low engine noise, quick acceleration to your steady speed after slowdown on lets say a speed hump and easy overtakes. That doesn't mean it is bad for city. You get used to the driving style pretty quick.

Hope it helps with decision making.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 15:05   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post

110ps - is the highway cruiser with good speed and a relaxed engine. For the enthusiasts who want to enjoy that turbo punch. Rounds up to low engine noise, quick acceleration to your steady speed after slowdown on lets say a speed hump and easy overtakes. That doesn't mean it is bad for city. You get used to the driving style pretty quick.

Thanks a lot Hillman that does help, i have driven the 110 Duster a bit and 85 for a short time in the city rarely do i even venture above 110 just wanted to know whether the gearing would affect the overtaking. I think a slightly slower highway cruising ability can be lived with cause for all other uses the 85 is a better car probably. I have got a Honda city myself but it 's not the kind of car can be used for cross county drives due to low GC. So was planning on buying a Duster or Terrano was doubtful which one to go for. I have kinda decided on the 85 now gotta decide between Duster and Terrano.

Last edited by terra85 : 10th February 2014 at 15:06. Reason: spelling
Old 10th February 2014, 20:28   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
I have kinda decided on the 85 now gotta decide between Duster and Terrano.
Best of luck choosing between the two
You will need a careful study of the equipment and accessories list for the price bracket between the two rivals.

One feature that stands out for me is the speed-sensing automatic door locking. Something that's available only on the Terrano.
Old 10th February 2014, 20:47   #457
BANNED

Any clue on the 4X4 in either the Terrano or Duster.... been waiting.
Old 11th February 2014, 09:29   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Best of luck choosing between the two
You will need a careful study of the equipment and accessories list for the price bracket between the two rivals.

One feature that stands out for me is the speed-sensing automatic door locking. Something that's available only on the Terrano.
To add, Nissan clearly scores above Duster in terms of the road presence and macho look. Till now, everyone I know who has seen Terrano are really pleased by the exterior/front looks of the car and clearly put it above Duster. Terrano is a bit heavier as well due to the plate below chassis which may add to overall stability. I just wish they would have at least stick to the launch price for couple of months.

On flip side. the rear AC on Terrano seems to be a deal breaker. Not only does it look like a cheap after market/thought attachement, but it is extermely difficult for the rear middle passenger to get it, making the car comfortable for only 4 adults. This however is only applicable for the top 2 110BHP variants.
Old 14th February 2014, 23:23   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
To add, Nissan clearly scores above Duster in terms of the road presence and macho look. Till now, everyone I know who has seen Terrano are really pleased by the exterior/front looks of the car and clearly put it above Duster. Terrano is a bit heavier as well due to the plate below chassis which may add to overall stability. I just wish they would have at least stick to the launch price for couple of months.

On flip side. the rear AC on Terrano seems to be a deal breaker. Not only does it look like a cheap after market/thought attachement, but it is extermely difficult for the rear middle passenger to get it, making the car comfortable for only 4 adults. This however is only applicable for the top 2 110BHP variants.
Looks are subjective. I for one prefer the big macho tough guy looks of the Duster over the sleek and sporty Terrano. Throw in those genuine bull bar and side cladding as in the Duster Adventure edition, and Duster becomes simply irresistible IMHO. That said, Terrano looks cool and is the favorite among the public.

Please can you elaborate on the particular plate below the chassis that is available in the Terrano, and the stability part ?
Old 15th February 2014, 09:41   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Looks are subjective. I for one prefer the big macho tough guy looks of the Duster over the sleek and sporty Terrano. Throw in those genuine bull bar and side cladding as in the Duster Adventure edition, and Duster becomes simply irresistible IMHO. That said, Terrano looks cool and is the favorite among the public.

Please can you elaborate on the particular plate below the chassis that is available in the Terrano, and the stability part ?
I agree . Regarding the plate below chassis, I was told by SA that it has heavier metal sheet/skid plate below which is not there in Duster and adds to overall stability. I'm not sure if it has to do anything with the added weight due to which he was claiming. I didn't ask for more details. Typically, what I've noticed is that once they are done with the basic feature explanation of Terrano, they try to point out the advantages of Terrano over Duster in order to justify the price
Old 15th February 2014, 21:59   #461
BHPian

Is there anyone who has gone for seat covers yet? just wanted to see what are options available. I was planning to go with Imperial Leathers but changed my mind when I found out that they would remove the OEM covers before stitching the new ones. I would like to retain the current set and have the new ones stitched over these..
Old 16th February 2014, 14:37   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Nemo View Post
Is there anyone who has gone for seat covers yet? just wanted to see what are options available.I would like to retain the current set and have the new ones stitched over these..
I got my seat covers from Imperial only. I asked them not to remove the original cover and they were fine with that. I got my seats without removing the original covers. Adding few more pics after getting my number plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Terrano : Official Review-img_20140215_180823.jpg  

Nissan Terrano : Official Review-img_20140215_181708.jpg  

Nissan Terrano : Official Review-img_20140215_181507.jpg  

Attached Images

CkmGowda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 16:42   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkmGowda View Post
I got my seat covers from Imperial only. I asked them not to remove the original cover and they were fine with that. I got my seats without removing the original covers. Adding few more pics after getting my number plates.
Seat covers look really great!!

can you share details about the material used and prices?
Old 16th February 2014, 21:08   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Nemo View Post
Seat covers look really great!!

can you share details about the material used and prices?
Thanks mate! This is called artificial Nappa. I paid 13k including pure leather steering cover.
Old 16th February 2014, 21:56   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkmGowda View Post
Nice covers look good . You might better add a steering lock if you are keeping your SUV outside, car thieves love SUV's.

Most Viewed