Team-BHP - Nissan Terrano : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Nissan Terrano : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/142751-nissan-terrano-official-review-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillMan (Post 3262425)
Although this crossover has more power to weight ratio compared to most SUVs in the price range. Both Terrano and Duster strategically escape this tax slab by the engine size.
Irony is with sedans like SX4 which make into the tax slab.

Irony is an understatement, SX4 an SUV and Duster/Terrano not one just points to what a silly rule they have introduced. As if we are not taxed enough! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3262454)
In the end, this is the truth. There is a small increase in cost if you compare apples to apples i.e. compact SUV to C sedan from the same platform. The larger tyres and beefed up suspension do add to the cost but it definitely does not come close to the premium being charged for Terrano and Duster.

Both the Verna and Vento are much more luxurious, offer more features have equal if not better performance but the price difference is more than 2 lakhs.

A pure case of make hay while the sun shines. As long as it doesn't have a proper competitor the Duster will sell in multiple thousand units per month (Terrano numbers yet to be seen) even with such a big premium over much more specced sedans.

Great review guys (Continuing the tradition of TeamBHP undisputedly doing the best reviews in the business)

Personally I love the looks of the Terrano. Sadly, the Spartan interiors, limited legroom at the rear, the obnoxiously designed rear AC Vent and a price point (at least for the top end) mar what would have been a perfect product for the Indian Urban Market.

Back in time, knew a few people who went to a Duster dealership with a cheque in hand but backed out due the above. Unfortunately, that crowd will continue to be disappointed with the Terrano. (The prayers of the competition have been heard)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maanspeedo (Post 3262113)
First of all , a 5 star super detailed reveiw . Awesome.

... I must say that we are so in love with " interiors" and " features" that we have lost the basic need from a car , i.e. driveability on our Indian roads. These are my personal observations.

You may call Duster/Terrano cheap , fake SUV, Pseudo SUV, not VFM , cheaters and all that .

Why I write this , because I feel its a forum where prospective car buyers come to understand and analyze cars and their pros/cons.

If auto enthusiasts/car lovers / BHPians like us keep making statements hovering over beauty of hyundai/space of safari/height of XUV/features of Ecosport over simple pleasure of driving with Duster/Terrano , then I feel disappointed .

I think Terrano is over priced and so is Duster , I think Ecosport is VFM and so are sedans over these Crossovers but then I feel so tempted to sell my 2 year old city right away and go for one of these and specifically for terrano if budget permits ( just for its looks and premium feel over duster), ...
Cheers, happy motoring .

And I am sorry if any of my views are too harsh or hurt anyone, I have no such intentions. I just want to vent my disappointment on preference of auto enthusiats for " features" over" drive"

And yes, I am no Nissan/Renault/other car manufacturer employee or an auto journalist , just a regular professional/car lover from Mumbai .

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 3262374)
Totally agree. Lot of Team BHPians have off late become cry babies. I fail to understand why so much hate comments on a decent launch by Nissan? Are we expecting budget SUVs to be launched at price of hatch backs or with comforts of C or D class sedans? I once sat in a friend's XUV and was utterly disappointed with the quality of interior materials. I think Nissan has done a much better job than Mahindra. Also why bother, this is re-badged or re-engineered, if it suits your need.

I have just bolded the irony in Maanspeedo's post. The temptation to buy the Terrano for its premiumness over the Duster, is exactly what everyone else is pointing out here while comparing it with the EcoSport. People in our forum pointing the features more does not mean that the Ecosport is a slouch when compared to the Duster/Terrano in ride and handling. Its just that the feature list/quality of fit & finish of the EcoSport outscores the Duster/Terrano so much that we dont even come to the ride and handling comparo section.

OT: If ground clearance and superior drive & handling are the major criteria, the punto with 185mm of GC(just 20-25mm less than SUV standards) would make a much better prospect. That is exactly why I recommended my cousin to go for the Punto(he is taking delivery tomorrow) rather than the EcoSport or the Figo Titanium TDCi.

I am no way a Nissan/Renault hater or a Ford fanboy. Its just that I feel they could've given a lot more for what we are paying.

By the way I am a FIAT fanboylol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami.n (Post 3262509)
By the way I am a FIAT fanboylol:

Apart from the looks that hasnt changed for a very long time. Fiat is a very good car. Unfortunately to increase the GC they have compromised with the ride quality. The suspensions feel much stiffer compared to the 2012 models, still it is better than most new cars. Almost every car manufacturer has made the suspensions stiffer recently to do away with bottom scrapping complains.

Terrano does not suffer the stiff suspension. To me you are paying the premium over Duster for the looks and Nissan badge. I was surprised to know Terrano has a sheet metal change. That could have added to the cost too.

To show they are apart, Nissan has also announced a host of accessories for Terrano. I really hope those will be available for Duster too :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillMan (Post 3262531)
I was surprised to know Terrano has a sheet metal change. That could have added to the cost too.

I think that justifies the 100-120 kilos increase in the kerb weight, don't know if this has had any positive impact on the way the doors on the duster feel, as am yet to check out the Terrano in person. I'd concur with most of the forum members that the Terrano will fail to make the impact, that it otherwise deserves, primarily due to its pricing. I think the parent company's greed with respect to the duster, landed them in this situation wherein they had no chance of launching it at the right price.

Same old wine in a (slightly) new, albeit, more expensive bottle! Is the Clutch any better than the accursed truck like clutch of the Duster? For this kinda bread man, I'd rather be buying a true blue SUV like a Scorp/Safari Storme and not a wannabe! whatsay?

clap: Excellent review, as always!
Just seems to be old wine in a new bottle, hmm, same bottle, different label.
I TD'd the 110 RxZ Duster a few days ago and the Terrano was deja vu!

I hope the news of the spare also being an alloy is true, else the 5th wheel rotation is most unlikely.
Access to the spare seems so fiddly! :Frustrati Surely its simpler than it looks?

Please could you include the driving height in some way in your reviews? Maybe the seat height from the ground level? Some pictures in traffic (say, at a signal for safety's sake?) at the driver's eye level giving a driver's perspective of the command position would be great. I request this so that a comparison of the command position can be made - the Duster may be higher than most cars, but it is so much lower than the XUV, or even the Qualis (which I drive, BTW).

Drive safely!

What I cannot fathom is where have the extra 120 kgs gone into the Terrano?

Nissan Terrano : Official Review-nissan-terrano-vs-competitors-price-technical-specifications.jpg

Overpriced and not exactly a VFM option. Was actually looking into this as a replacement for my 3 year old linea. But looking at the pricing, there is no way i am going to consider this vehicle anymore. In a time when manufacturers provide more features/equipment, these guys appear to be backtracking.

:OT
Close to 15 lakhs on road in Bangalore, i would rather stretch my budget a little to accommodate an XUV500 OR an ecosport Titanium 1.5 TDCi(for the wife/dad/mom/kid) + 2.25 lakhs on a duke 390. Would still be left with money for fuel stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo (Post 3262821)

Attachment 1151268

I am wondering the same thing!

How did the weight go up by 120 kilos vs the Duster?

I had a close look at one at the Nissan dealer here and the only difference I could make out was that the doors felt heavier and solid compared to the coke can ones on the Duster. You could close them easier. The difference is not much but far better than the Duster. It's not a thud close but better nonetheless. However this will not mean 120 kilos more.

120 kilos is like having 2 medium adults sitting in the car at all times. It's very very strange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3262885)
..How did the weight go up by 120 kilos vs the Duster?

What's the difference between Kerb weight and Gross Vehicle weight?

The numbers in the Duster Spec sheet are totally different. Couldn't spot the official spec sheet of the Terrano on the Nissan Website :Frustrati

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 10637
Size:  18.9 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warwithwheels (Post 3262897)
What's the difference between Kerb weight and Gross Vehicle weight?

The numbers in the Duster Spec sheet are totally different. Couldn't spot the official spec sheet of the Terrano on the Nissan Website :Frustrati

Attachment 1151288

Gross Vehicle Weight includes all fluids and weight of passengers. It is the max load possible that the vehicle can take.

Kerb weight is only the weight of car without fluids. A better indication of car weight is Kerb weight.

Guys,

A load of additional information (some pictures, accessory pdf etc.) has been added to the opening page. For those considering a Terrano, I do recommend reading through the review again (if you'd read it earlier).

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 3261320)
which Indian cars / SUVs currently offer the sliding rear seat as a feature?

Among others, the Ertiga & Innova do. It would have been a simpler way for Renault / Nissan to increase the legroom of the Duster / Terrano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i74js (Post 3261840)
When a review is carried out, is it possible to comment on the water wading capicity of the machine?

This is information that only the manufacturer can provide. You can be sure that if it's shared with us, it'll make it to the review. We try not to miss out on any aspect of the vehicle :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oops (Post 3262072)
Your comparison chart says price of 85 Ps XL plus is 10.94 and 110 Ps Xl is 11.34, but nissan website says price of 110 Ps Xl is 10.94 and 85 Ps Xl Plus is 11.33.
Would you please clearify who has got typing mistake?

Here's a screengrab of the official press release we have received:

Name:  Terrano Prices.png
Views: 18198
Size:  19.9 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo (Post 3262821)

I can't either. Just to clarify: Kerb weights are as shared by a Nissan official with us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by achyutaghosh (Post 3262114)
They also say a strap on steering mounted remote will also be available, so that kind of takes back some of the flak it has taken for not providing steering controls.

Not really. As an accessory or in the after-market, I can add a stereo head-unit too. What matters is, the standard equipment. If something is not offered as stock with the car, it's a miss.

Plus, a strap-on audio control is hardly making up for the integrated variety. Personally, I love the Duster's audio controls (behind the steering wheel). Easy to use, and I prefer to have a steering without buttons. It's just purer that way.

A great car'ish SUV let down by pretty ordinary interiors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3263056)
Here's a screengrab of the official press release we have received:

I think Nissan people are also a bit Confused. I am attaching word document with screen grabs
Doc1.doc