Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 13:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Terrano : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanspeedo View Post
First of all , a 5 star super detailed reveiw . Awesome.

I have been reading all the comments here and been following 200 odd pages of official Duster review thread since its launch and I must say that we are so in love with " interiors" and " features" that we have lost the basic need from a car , i.e. driveability on our Indian roads. These are my personal observations.

You may call Duster/Terrano cheap , fake SUV, Pseudo SUV, not VFM , cheaters and all that .

But the drive which these two vehicles give you is eons ahead of those feature rich Sedans/ECOSPORT or huge sexy SUVs which give more space and seats and power and snob value than these compact SUVs.
While I agree to your view that we should't be too harsh on a car just because it misses out a few features, most of the backlash for the terrano in this thread seems to be the price and nothing else.
I have been part of T-bhp for the last 5 years or so and I can safely say that most members are not obsessed over features. You will see so many members who are ardent fans of Fiats and Fords which are known for their ride and driveability. In fact with the kind of numbers that Fiat is doing in India, I think every fiat owner is a T-Bhp member in India.
On the other hand, price plays an important role in any purchase. The terrano may have stupendous ability to go over potholed roads, but do you need to pay a hefty premium for that? I mean you might as well buy a Bolero or one of those proper SUVs and save enough money to buy a "discounted punto" in between.

Whether we like it or not, the dacia line of cars Logan, Duster & the terrano were made to a price and just one factor like superior driveability cannot prove as a compromise for a high price / bad ergonomics / average build quality etc. Now Im not saying that the duster/terrano twins are bad cars, they are fundamentally great cars and have more than decent engines and mechanical underpinnings. But does that give Renault Nissan to charge a premium? Yes they can price it however they want. And customers continue to lap up dusters even until now. But the fact is that with the price revision even the duster is starting to look a little overpriced and the terrano just goes overboard with it.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th October 2013 at 14:22. Reason: Please dont quote a large post for a relatively short reply. Thanks
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 14:52   #92
BHPian

Five star review as usual by Team-BHP with great attention to detail.

Terrano in my opinion is a wasted opportunity for a company like Nissan which is yet to find a firm foothold in India. Though they had to charge a premium over Duster, the opportunity could have been used to improve overall improvement in quality, fit and finish that could have justified the pricing to an extent.

All said and done, as has been echoed by the forum, these crossovers are at a huge premium in comparison to high quality sedans from competitors.

Unfortunately, this price differential I guess would continue for a long time in a SUV savvy country like ours.

Some times it makes me wonder, why can't our country be provided with top notch products. Predominantly, we seem to be getting outdated models/tech in the cars sold here barring a few international models.

Drive Safe,
Andy
Old 11th October 2013, 17:36   #93
BHPian

The Shawar Nissan(Bangalore) guys have not given me a single call till now. I have had to pester them with queries, updates etc. Anybody from Bangalore know if there is a TD vehicle around? For that matter has anyone test driven a Terrano here?
Old 11th October 2013, 23:27   #94
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India says that Nissan is offering a third row seat as an option. While it isn’t a full-sized seat, it should suffice for children.
Old 11th October 2013, 23:34   #95
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

aditya - Thanks for the Excellent Review
While I still maintain my earlier impression that Nissan wasted a golden opportunity to improve on the Duster's shortcomings, may I ask you a question:
for someone considering buying a Duster will it make sense to buy the equivalent variant of Terrano (it's going to be more expensive, so worth it or not)?

Last edited by NPV : 11th October 2013 at 23:37.
Old 11th October 2013, 23:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
may I ask you a question:
for someone considering buying a Duster will it make sense to buy the equivalent variant of Terrano (it's going to be more expensive, so worth it or not)?
Instead of Duster Rxl (O) I'd choose Terrano XL D. I'd only miss the torch screen navigation, but have a better looking car with heavier sheet metal.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 00:26   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Instead of Duster Rxl (O) I'd choose Terrano XL D. I'd only miss the torch screen navigation, but have a better looking car with heavier sheet metal.
I assume you meant the XL Plus? With 2 airbags and alloy wheels? While this is similarly priced to the Duster RXL (O) , but at present, the Duster is carrying a discount of roughly 30K (15K cash + 15K accessories). So in your opinion, does it still make sense to go with the Terrano?

- Coming from a guy who has booked the Ecosport but can't wait any longer!

Last edited by Abh1nav : 12th October 2013 at 00:27.
Old 12th October 2013, 08:11   #98
BHPian

Very nice and detailed review. Still not able to understand their strategy to provide similar products by Nissan and Renault. I think Terrano is going to eat into a significant chunk of Duster sales. Ecosport is just going to be slightly affected. As someone already pointed out, why couldn't Terrano come up with 4wd option which would have at least made some sense with respect to the features over Duster.
Old 12th October 2013, 09:08   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post

I assume you meant the XL Plus? With 2 airbags and alloy wheels? While this is similarly priced to the Duster RXL (O) , but at present, the Duster is carrying a discount of roughly 30K (15K cash + 15K accessories). So in your opinion, does it still make sense to go with the Terrano?
It's more to do with exclusivity and latest car on the block. You will never see as many Terrano at a parking lot as Dusters. That said no doubt Terrano is a looker with all the positive of Duster.

Looks are personal preference. Go with what your heart wants, you will not be disappointed with either of the siblings.

When I am prepared to shell out 12L+, I'd really not worried of 30k here and there.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 10:54   #100
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For someone considering buying a Duster will it make sense to buy the equivalent variant of Terrano (it's going to be more expensive, so worth it or not)?
We spend 50k on alloy wheels or body kits to make our cars look better.

What then is 50k for far superior styling? Both are expensive SUVs, especially when you consider the EcoSport on one side and the XUV500 on the other. But if I were to choose between the Duster & Terrano, it would be the latter for the styling alone.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 12:17   #101
BHPian

motorbeam verdict:The Nissan Terrano is a more appealing package but when it comes to pricing, the Renault Duster offers the same performance for considerably less money. The EcoSport outruns both when it comes to bang for your buck and thus emerges as the winner in this compact SUV battle.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/renaul...ster-shootout/
Old 12th October 2013, 12:33   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
It's more to do with exclusivity and latest car on the block. You will never see as many Terrano at a parking lot as Dusters. That said no doubt Terrano is a looker with all the positive of Duster.

Looks are personal preference. Go with what your heart wants, you will not be disappointed with either of the siblings.

When I am prepared to shell out 12L+, I'd really not worried of 30k here and there.
To be honest, I was prepared to spend 10.7 Lakhs OTR on the Ecosport Top-end, but this long wait is making me look for options.

I'm already stretching my budget by around 1.5L and so, I expect to get better bang for the buck. Still, the Terrano does score more in terms of better build + styling. Will visit the Nissan showroom today and see how the experience goes!
Old 12th October 2013, 14:48   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
The Shawar Nissan(Bangalore) guys have not given me a single call till now. I have had to pester them with queries, updates etc. Anybody from Bangalore know if there is a TD vehicle around? For that matter has anyone test driven a Terrano here?
My Mumbai dealer has been proactive enough, they have promised to bring car to my doorstep for a TD whenever I am ready.
Old 12th October 2013, 16:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I'm already stretching my budget by around 1.5L and so, I expect to get better bang for the buck.
If I didnt buy the Duster I would have gone for Fiat Linea. Thats a very spacious and comfortable car too. I had tried my best to scrape its bottom during the TD
Actually, I have not roughed up any car in a TD as much as I did the Linea.

Last edited by HillMan : 12th October 2013 at 16:10.
Old 12th October 2013, 21:52   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayadalam View Post
Some times it makes me wonder, why can't our country be provided with top notch products. Predominantly, we seem to be getting outdated models/tech in the cars sold here barring a few international models.
Andy
Andy bhai, where are we on the world map? Also rans amongst the third world countries? even brazil, indonesia, honk kong ,malasia, china etc are way ahead of of us! When a nirbhaya happens she is taken to Singapore, not the other way round. Please introspect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks