Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2014, 09:07   #166
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Polo (at least mine) has got pathetic headlights. Whether others are able see the Polo during daytime is important, no doubt, but it's more important that the Polo is able to see others during night.
Yes, I am aware of the poor illumination issue with polo headlights. Why don't you go for an aftermarket projector installation? Projectors with HID lamps installed by a professional grade mods expert shall address your grumble.

Quote:
I have nothing against DRLs or any other ornaments. But I just can't stand the cheap imitation jewellery like that on the i20

i20 brought up this impression about DRLs in our market.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 10:13   #167
BHPian

I, for one, have been very happy with my Polo's headlight after upgrading to 100/90 Osram bulbs with an Orange relay. Total cost Rs. 1200 only.
Old 14th February 2014, 11:05   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Single barrel can only reduce cost!!
Even i think so. BTW, that Palio Stile - was it double barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Yes, I am aware of the poor illumination issue with polo headlights. Why don't you go for an aftermarket projector installation? Projectors with HID lamps installed by a professional grade mods expert shall address your grumble.
I am looking for it. Many aftermarket projectors are unscientifically designed and don't do a good job, so waiting for a real good review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
I, for one, have been very happy with my Polo's headlight after upgrading to 100/90 Osram bulbs with an Orange relay. Total cost Rs. 1200 only.
100/90 will blind the oncoming traffic which I won't like to do. They will also darken the reflectors I think.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 12:17   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
100/90 Osram bulbs
Woah!

I hope you are aware that the usage of these bulbs are restricted to off-roads and not on public roads? The cops can pull you over and fine you if they notice the distinctive increased light output.

You can potentially blind the oncoming traffic during high beams as well! Not advisable.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:21   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am looking for it. Many aftermarket projectors are unscientifically designed and don't do a good job, so waiting for a real good review.
He means something like a retro fit kit from www.theretrofitsource.com and not the chinese projectors available with your local accessories shop.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 15:25   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

@Gannu shared with me the details of another vendor selling OEM Polo GTI headlamps but they are exorbitantly priced (>1L). Let's see how good these facelifted Polo headlights are.
Old 14th February 2014, 17:25   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Even i think so. BTW, that Palio Stile - was it double barrel?
Yes, the Stile and the old Palio (ex-owner myself) both had double-barrel lamps.

Quote:
100/90 will blind the oncoming traffic which I won't like to do. They will also darken the reflectors I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Woah!

I hope you are aware that the usage of these bulbs are restricted to off-roads and not on public roads? The cops can pull you over and fine you if they notice the distinctive increased light output.

You can potentially blind the oncoming traffic during high beams as well! Not advisable.
It all boils down to how you choose to use the high-beam. I make it a point not to drive on high-beam when I see traffic in the opposite direction. Even on dark roads/highways, when I have to drive on high-beam, as soon as there is a vehicle on the opposite side of the road, I immediately switch back to low-beam. It's a choice - how courteous you are to others on the road. I am

I have had 100/90 bulbs on all my cars (Palio - 5 years, SX4 - 3 years) and have never faced any reflector blackening issues in either cars.

Last edited by etchemkay : 14th February 2014 at 17:27.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 19:18   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Stile and the old Palio (ex-owner myself) both had double-barrel lamps.
when I have to drive on high-beam, as soon as there is a vehicle on the opposite side of the road, I immediately switch back to low-beam. It's a choice - how courteous you are to others on the road. I am
I have had 100/90 bulbs on all my cars (Palio - 5 years, SX4 - 3 years) and have never faced any reflector blackening issues in either cars.
OK, thanks for confirming about the Palio headlamps. Lovely car that Palio.
Good to know that you switch to low beams whenever required and also the fact that 100/90 didn't burn the reflectors.

Now assuming the new Polo headlamps will be better, need to check if they will be compatible with current GT (wiring, fitting, etc). Does Polo have a "blown bulb/fuse" warning lamp like Laura?
Old 14th February 2014, 19:25   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK, thanks for confirming about the Palio headlamps. Lovely car that Palio.
Good to know that you switch to low beams whenever required and also the fact that 100/90 didn't burn the reflectors.

Now assuming the new Polo headlamps will be better, need to check if they will be compatible with current GT (wiring, fitting, etc). Does Polo have a "blown bulb/fuse" warning lamp like Laura?

Anand you can get the double barrel headlamps installed in your Polo for around 20-25K. The same ones that come with the European Polo. I am not sure how much of an improvement output wise it will be though. PM me for vendor details.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 14:28   #175
BHPian

hello everyone,
on 12th Feb we bought the VW Polo GT Tdi.
Its white and currently its in the run-in period.
It is basically bought for city use 80% and highway use 20%.
Great Built quality. Also upgraded the stock tyres to 195/60R15 Yokohoma dbV550. Havent been on the highway but comfort has increased a bit. Will try to post a ownership thread soon.
Old 17th February 2014, 18:49   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKODA_RS View Post
On 12th Feb we bought the VW Polo GT Tdi.
Congrats on your new acquisition. GT TDI is the pick of the day among diesel hatchbacks. I would have bought one by now, if there were no news about the facelift. I am waiting eagerly for the facelift of polo to arrive on our shores. Ride like the king with your GT TDI
Old 17th February 2014, 18:57   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKODA_RS View Post
hello everyone,
on 12th Feb we bought the VW Polo GT Tdi.
It is basically bought for city use 80% and highway use 20%.
Great Built quality. Also upgraded the stock tyres to 195/60R15 Yokohoma dbV550. Havent been on the highway but comfort has increased a bit. Will try to post a ownership thread soon.
Congratulations SKODA_RS! That makes yours at least the 4th GT TDi on TBHP from Pune - radek, rejoycjohn, you and me. The rest of us were discussing doing a GT TDi meet sometime. Hope you can make it too, whenever it gets planned.

By the way, any other GT TDi owners in Pune?
Old 21st February 2014, 13:57   #178
BHPian

Hey guys, I have been checking on our petrol counterpart's thread. Seems most of them are getting annoying rattling issues. Anybody here got anything similar to report?
Old 21st February 2014, 15:59   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Hey guys, I have been checking on our petrol counterpart's thread. Seems most of them are getting annoying rattling issues. Anybody here got anything similar to report?
Not yet .. at least I don't think so. Besides, I doubt if one could listen to such minor rattles over the significant clatter of the 1.6 TDi engine.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 17:28   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

I was checking on the impact of excise rate revisions here in Chennai. Seems like most dealers are not aware of new prices yet. I was quoted on road price of 9.65 Lacs minus a 10 K discount. They will get to know how much the reduction on account of excise cuts is only next week. Anyone got any updates on the revised price of GT TDI in other cities?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks