Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2014, 18:45   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It appears that Magnatec Professional OE 5W-40 has been discontinued by Castrol. I could not find the 5W-40 listed under Magnatec - only 5W-30 SN, 10W-40 SN/CF and 15W-40 A3/B4
Gannu, Castrol Magnatec Professional OE, as the name suggests is an OE only brand and is supplied by Castrol directly to the ASCs. This oil is not supplied to outside dealers. Its a kind of a cartel between the oil manufacturer, Car manufacturer and the ASC. It benefits all three of them.

The grade of this oil is 5W 40 fully synthetic. The same grade is available from Shell, called Helix Ultra. THis is freely available in the market. There is no harm in topping up this oil as the grades are same. I have topped up Helix ultra several times in my Laura (Skoda ASC also fills Castrol MP 5W 40). A 1 litre can is there in my boot at all times.

Top up the oil ASAP. Low oil can hurt the engine. I suggest don't let the oil drop below the halfway mark. Your car will love you for doing so

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th February 2014 at 18:50.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 19:04   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Gannu, do not start the engine for warm up for checking oil. Leave the engine to cool down overnight and then check in the morning before starting engine. That will give you the exact reading
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 21:54   #198
Team-BHP Support

Guys, this has led to a major confusion!

It appears that 5W-40 is not recommended for diesel engines with DPF (diesel particulate filter). And the Polo sold here does have the DPF installed in the exhaust system to conform with the emission norms. Thus, both the Castrol Edge 5W-40 SN and Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 are not recommended. It has been explicitly mentioned at the back of the respective packs and on the website as well.

Which means it isn't suitable for the diesel engines from VW/Skoda? That sounds fishy because this is the same grade of oil used by the service centers. And Bhat Sir could be right - this could be a cartel operated by the lubricant and car manufacturers.

As per the car's manual, the required oil specifications are VW 507 00:
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-wp_20140227_20_47_17_pro.jpg

The corresponding SAE oil grade is 5W-30. But this could be probably because the manuals apply for the cars sold in the EU. But the service centers here (in India) use 5W-40. I can't understand how it works. Looks like there's a whole thread dedicated to this issue - Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Anyways, got myself a 1L bottle of Castrol Edge 5W-40 from a lube dealer here. I shall refill it tomorrow.

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-wp_20140227_21_08_18_pro.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-wp_20140227_21_08_36_pro.jpg

Shall post back with the results. Thanks for the tips Bhat Sir, Sagar!
Old 27th February 2014, 23:41   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It appears that 5W-40 is not recommended for diesel engines with DPF (diesel particulate filter). And the Polo sold here does have the DPF installed in the exhaust system to conform with the emission norms
Indian Polo/Vento do not come with DPF. Only when Euro 5 norms are implemented in India that's when car manufacturers will bring in DPF. You can use 5W-40 without any issues.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 23:50   #200
Team-BHP Support

I hope you are not mixing different oils. Either replace the old oil with this Castrol Edge and use that for topup or ensure the top up is done this time with same grade as original.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 08:50   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think it will be a better idea to leave the car untouched overnight and take a reading in the morning before starting the car, once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Gannu, do not start the engine for warm up for checking oil. Leave the engine to cool down overnight and then check in the morning before starting engine. That will give you the exact reading
You guys came across as lifesavers! Checked the oil level today morn. before departing for work and here it is:

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-1.jpg

So looks like it was a false alarm. Anyways, I've kept the 1L bottle in the car's boot on the spare wheel. It was a snug fit along with the spare bulbs and the tool kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Indian Polo/Vento do not come with DPF. Only when Euro 5 norms are implemented in India that's when car manufacturers will bring in DPF. You can use 5W-40 without any issues.
Thanks. I thought the Indian cars came with the DPF.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 23:39   #202
BHPian

@radek
Yes, there is no pattern except for your driving pattern.
If you are into hard driving there is a tendency for the VW / Skoda engines to sip in more of the engine oil. This is true in their first 7.5K KMS.

I paid a visit to VW and spend around 3.5K for service.

Reason: VW uses a special synthetic coolant that must be topped with WATER and nothing else. I happened to use a coolant from the lube store. The entire coolant was drained and a fresh set of VW synthetic coolant was used.

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-coolant1.jpg

I procured some additional stock for those long drives.
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-coolant2.jpg

As far as the engine oil is concerned:
VW only recommends Castrol Magnectec Professional 5W 40.
Mixing with any other engine oil, be it the same grade or a different one is definitely not recommended.

After checking with 3-4 lube stores, I found out that none of the stores have Castrol Magnectec Professional 5W 40.
They were advocating for the Castrol Edge SN oil. I was nt convinced on getting the SN either.

So, I procured the engine oil from VW again.
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-engineoil.jpg

VW did a complete pressure test to ensure that the coolant and engine oil is not leaking. They were surprised that the lubes were consumed so quickly.

Engine oil level checking, as told by the Service manager:
First cold check: Which is when the engine is left cold overnight, Check the oil level. Do this at least couple of times
Then start the engine, keep it idle for at least 10 mins, Switch off the engine: Check the oil level. Do this at least couple of times

If the oil level is below minimum, top up
Ideal state would be at 50% above min & max

There could be many more scientific ways of checking oil level, but I wanted to play the story from the horse's mouth.

A final word from the Sr. Service manager was, "Have fun" the GT car was made for people who want to have fun, so please do

Last edited by raajks : 2nd March 2014 at 23:50.
Old 9th March 2014, 13:27   #203
BHPian

Test drove the TDI today back to back after the TSI. I guess since I had driven the TSI first, the TDI didnt exactly set my adrenalin pumping even though the grunt is unmistakable. A short test drive cannot do justice to a car's full potential but what I could gather is one has to keep the engine on the boil in the 2k-3k range to juice its power to the max. The 1st gear is almost redundant which means that driveability is superb. The brakes were a little disappointing though.

Reading on this thread that the 1.5l should be available soon. That should make this more affordable
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 13:36   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Reading on this thread that the 1.5l should be available soon. That should make this more affordable
Exactly, it's the news about facelift around the corner that's holding me back otherwise I would have been a proud owner of GT TDI by now. Were you able to gather any info on facelift from your visit to showroom? If yes, please do share
Old 9th March 2014, 13:45   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Exactly, it's the news about facelift around the corner that's holding me back otherwise I would have been a proud owner of GT TDI by now. Were you able to gather any info on facelift from your visit to showroom? If yes, please do share
Hi

No I didnt even know 1.5l was in the offing! Learnt about it only after going through this thread which was after the TD this morning. The SA at Apple auto didnt mention anything either (which is understandable, given that they have stocks from 2013 to sell)

You should enquire about 2013 stocks, he was talking about a 30k CD and another 40k for a 2013 model. When I pushed for more than 40k since its from last year the SA pointed out that the ex-showroom price is cheaper by 22k for last year's model. The sense I got is you can easily push for more
Old 9th March 2014, 13:55   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Were you able to gather any info on facelift from your visit to showroom? If yes, please do share
You will not get any information on this from the dealers, they are the last to be informed on this ( going by the past launches).
But if you infer from the talks around the facelifted Indian Polo could be launched in May 2014.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 14:36   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Test drove the TDI today back to back after the TSI. I guess since I had driven the TSI first, the TDI didnt exactly set my adrenalin pumping even though the grunt is unmistakable. A short test drive cannot do justice to a car's full potential but what I could gather is one has to keep the engine on the boil in the 2k-3k range to juice its power to the max. The 1st gear is almost redundant which means that driveability is superb. The brakes were a little disappointing though.
I have a Vento TDI, and if I'm not wrong, the Vento TDI and Polo GT TDI share a similar setup. The brakes on the Vento have a non-linear feel and they bite late. Once you get used to them they are excellent.
Old 9th March 2014, 15:57   #208
BHPian

Hey guys am looking at buying a new GT Tdi.

2013 VIN number December manufactured
Total on road: 10 Lakhs
Discount: 80k
On road price: 9.24 Lakhs
Colour: SA is telling me that there is only RED colour available and it is the last car in stock for 2013 model

Ex-showroom is: 8.08 lakhs
Discounted price: 7.63 lakhs
His discount is only 40k with respect to ex-showroom rest of the price comes down because of tax.

Do you find this a good deal? Shall I ask for more? He is keen on pushing the red colour and says it is the last car in stock. I feel am not getting a good deal because he's reduced the ex-showroom price by 40k and given me the final price also I dont have colour choice only red, which wont have good resale value.

Prices are with respect to Bangalore
Old 9th March 2014, 21:30   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post

2013 VIN number December manufactured
Total on road: 10 Lakhs
Discount: 80k
On road price: 9.24 Lakhs
Colour: SA is telling me that there is only RED colour available and it is the last car in stock for 2013 model

Ex-showroom is: 8.08 lakhs
Discounted price: 7.63 lakhs
His discount is only 40k with respect to ex-showroom rest of the price comes down because of tax.

Do you find this a good deal? Shall I ask for more? He is keen on pushing the red colour and says it is the last car in stock. I feel am not getting a good deal because he's reduced the ex-showroom price by 40k and given me the final price also I dont have colour choice only red, which wont have good resale value.

Hi

Not sure I understood this, when I spoke to the SA today he mentioned a 30k cash discount + 40k since its 2013 make which should bring the ex-showroom down to 7.3l, any reduction in taxes should be on top of this. I feel you may also opt out of the reverse cam+nav which is 31k (and get your own aftermarket satnav if need be)

With a bit of haggling you may be able to get a sub 9l otr deal, keep the thread posted
Old 10th March 2014, 11:00   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post

Which dealer are you talking with ? I am in touch with Apple - ORR Whitefield and as late as last week, I was told there are quite a few colors left and I for sure remember White as one of the colors since we also had an argument about not selling TD car.
Please check with them once again and it might help
Do keep us updated about the latest offerings and well if we are more in number, we can think of negotiating better on 2014 vehicle.

@ VW owners : Do you face issues with heavy clutch in Polo & Vento ? I am using 1.2L Petrol Polo for the past 3 year and absolutely loving my ride and build quality except heavy clutch. I am planning to opt for Polo GT TDI or Vento TDI as my next change but I am in 2 minds as my wife would also be driving now and she finds the clutch too hard in VW as compared to Hyundai's and Honda's.
Some help on the following questions will be highly appreciated
i) Is the 4 pot diesel better to drive (start stop in city traffic) as compared to 3 pot petrol, both having heavy clutch ? My wife finds lots of issues in 1st gear due to vibrations of 3 pot engine and heavy clutch
ii) Is there any way to make the clutch lighter ?
iii) How is the resale of Polo and maintenance cost as compared to Hyundai? ( since I have a lease car, I do not worry about maintenance or resale for my current car but things might change in future)

Last edited by Cooltronics : 10th March 2014 at 11:15. Reason: added more information
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks