Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 11:04   #286
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Now that the Vento / Rapid TDi DSG is imminent, could the birdies be true that we'll see the GT TDi in DSG guise in 2015? Pricing would be a factor though. It could fall quite close to an MT Vento TDi I guess.

Last edited by shefiu : 19th September 2014 at 11:14.
Old 20th September 2014, 13:03   #287
BHPian

Some Updates on the 1.5 GT TDI
1. The alloys are now painted unlike the earlier machine finished ones
2. Spare wheel isn't an alloy
3. Only one Remote control FOB for the GT the Polo Highline gets 2 Fobs
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:35   #288
Senior - BHPian

ACI review of 1.5L GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACI
What is it like to drive?

The reduced displacement hasn’t made the Polo GT TDI slow by any measure. Useable power comes in from as low as 1,600rpm and when the turbo spools up nicely at about 1,900rpm, the engine pulls cleanly to 4,500rpm before gradually losing steam near its very un-diesel-like 5,500rpm limiter. Flat-out, it’ll do 0-100kph in 11.52 seconds, which is slightly slower than the older car’s 10.51 seconds.

Like its 89bhp counterpart and its 1.6-litre predecessor, this motor has a solid mid-range, and it’s fun to work the five-speed manual gearbox to keep it in this zone. We can’t be certain without a back-to-back drive, but the new engine doesn’t seem to have as much power at the top end as the old 1.6.

At the official test drive, VW had set up a handling circuit, which got our inner enthusiast excited about the possibility of reworked suspension for the GT TDI. Unfortunately, however, there has been no such change, and the car carries on with the standard setup.
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20140922061918_po7.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:12   #289
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone else noticed that the face-lift GT TDI reviewed by ACI is dark blue? I was under the impression that the GT variants are available only in three colour options.

Interesting.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:23   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the face-lift GT TDI reviewed by ACI is dark blue?
Good catch. But it could be VW teasing us.

For instance, the Kinetic Blue 2014 Fiesta that T-BHP used for the close look report was not available for sale.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lose-look.html
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:27   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the face-lift GT TDI reviewed by ACI is dark blue? I was under the impression that the GT variants are available only in three colour options.

Interesting.
Interesting, I was interested in this blue color for my GT, however the only options were Red, Grey and white. Probably they are now offering a larger color range :(
anshurao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:55   #292
BHPian

Autocar :- New Skoda Rapid diesel auto review and test drive.
Surprising Rapid comes with the DQ200 gearbox(7 Speed dry gearbox), which is doing the duty in the Polo GT TSi.

I guess, soon VW might also launch Vento TDi DSG with the DQ200.
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:29   #293
BHPian

So it is exactly as I have feared. VW has toned downed the beast with the new 1.5 gt tdi. So glad I was fortunate enough to get the old 1.6 er.

I am sure the new Gt is a very good car, but somehow "1.6 GT" has a better ring to it.

Does anybody know whats the OTR price difference between the new Polo Tdi and the new Gt Tdi? If it is a lakh or more I think people are going to have a hard time justifying the extra money VW is asking for the GT
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:52   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
So it is exactly as I have feared. VW has toned downed the beast with the new 1.5 gt tdi. So glad I was fortunate enough to get the old 1.6 er.

I am sure the new Gt is a very good car, but somehow "1.6 GT" has a better ring to it.

Does anybody know whats the OTR price difference between the new Polo Tdi and the new Gt Tdi? If it is a lakh or more I think people are going to have a hard time justifying the extra money VW is asking for the GT
According to AutoCar it is just Rs 60,000(difference between the TDI Highline and GT TDi)

Following is taken from the AutoCar we site
Quote:
Now that the standard Polo TDI gets a punchy 89bhp version of this same engine rather than the weak old three-cylinder unit from before, forking out the extra money for the GT version may not seem as worthwhile as before. This is emphasised by the fact that there are no other mechanical changes to the car, and very few cosmetic differences. However, the standard TDI Highline is also more expensive than before, so while the performance gap between it and the GT has narrowed, so has the price gap; it’s now just around Rs 60,000. Still, if you enjoy driving, we feel the extra 14bhp is worth the extra spend.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 23rd September 2014 at 16:54.
Old 24th September 2014, 08:55   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Does anybody know whats the OTR price difference between the new Polo Tdi and the new Gt Tdi?
I swear to God that this is exactly what I felt Nakul !!

I might sound a bit sadistic here, but there was one evil grin on my face when I read this from Autocar reviewer:

"We can’t be certain without a back-to-back drive, but the new engine doesn’t seem to have as much power at the top end as the old 1.6."

The last time I checked in Bangalore, the Highline 1.5 TDI was 9.05lks while the GT TDI & TSI were priced at 9.80lks !!

So yes, if this is price difference, I probably would stick to Highline 1.5 TDI and get it remapped, considering the 0-100 km/hr is just around a second.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 09:33   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I swear to God that this is exactly what I felt Nakul !!

So yes, if this is price difference, I probably would stick to Highline 1.5 TDI and get it remapped, considering the 0-100 km/hr is just around a second.
But the extra 75000 does give you a warranty though and a full black interiors.

But I have got this nagging feeling that since the Polo 1.5 tdi is already very good, the Gt should have been made a bomb (more poweeerrr perhaps?). The difference between the previous Polo tdi and Gt tdi was significant enough to justify the extra cash. That margin has been cut down significantly and I fear this will take away sales from the Gt.

I don't know but perhaps VW should have given the new Gt 126 bhp and 270 torques for added good measure. Hey, hyundai gets the same from their 1.6 too you know.
Old 24th September 2014, 09:48   #297
Senior - BHPian

Looks like VW should have retained the old 1.6 TDi on the GT. There is no distinctive advantage for the GT now over the regular Polo.
128 HP on a hatch sounds yummy, bring it on

Last edited by F150 : 24th September 2014 at 09:51.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 10:33   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Kind of disappointed with the new GT. Since they didn't reduce the prices (tax savings), they could have rather used the same 1.6L for GT. And for an "enthusiast" who would consider the "GT", that 1 second difference to the ton also would make a lot of difference!
Old 24th September 2014, 11:37   #299
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know but perhaps VW should have given the new Gt 126 bhp and 270 torques for added good measure. Hey, hyundai gets the same from their 1.6 too you know.
If you look at this post from Kryptonite, you will notice towards the end that the torque for a stock 1.6 TDI is actually 280 Nm at the dyno and power is 103 bhp. IIRC, at the dyno you will always get figures lower than that stated by the manufacturer. This means that VW could have safely stated the figures of ~120hp and ~300 Nm for this engine. Hence your wish is kinda sorta granted already
Old 24th September 2014, 11:44   #300
BHPian

Quote:
But the extra 75000 does give you a warranty though and a full black interiors.

But I have got this nagging feeling that since the Polo 1.5 tdi is already very good, the Gt should have been made a bomb (more poweeerrr perhaps?). The difference between the previous Polo tdi and Gt tdi was significant enough to justify the extra cash. That margin has been cut down significantly and I fear this will take away sales from the Gt.

The only way they could have made buying GT TDI a no brainer was to add a DSG. and it could have been done without increasing prices. Afterall, VW are now saving over a lac in excise (27% v/s 12%). And as I mentioned in another thread, VW were either making a substantial loss on the 1.6 GT TDI or will be laughing away to the bank after selling every 1.5 GT TDI. It will be clearer how much money VW is fleecing from the Polo GT TDI customers once the pricing of facelifted Vento is out.

but, the more I think of it, I believe VW got the pricing of the diesel variants including the GT TDI wrong in this iteration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks