Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 12:04   #301
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
The only way they could have made buying GT TDI a no brainer was to add a DSG. and it could have been done without increasing prices. Afterall, VW are now saving over a lac in excise (27% v/s 12%). And as I mentioned in another thread, VW were either making a substantial loss on the 1.6 GT TDI or will be laughing away to the bank after selling every 1.5 GT TDI. It will be clearer how much money VW is fleecing from the Polo GT TDI customers once the pricing of facelifted Vento is out.

but, the more I think of it, I believe VW got the pricing of the diesel variants including the GT TDI wrong in this iteration.
Absolutely. With a DSG transmission and more than 75 Nm torque over the GT TSI, the GT TDI w/DSG would have smoked GT TSI by over 2 seconds in the race to a ton. In the process it would have a significant differentiation over the 1.5 highline, which in its current avatar, it does not command.
Old 25th September 2014, 21:32   #302
BHPian

Took the delivery of my Polo 1.5 GT TDI today, man I am impressed(Compared to the swift). I have just driven over 50 Kms today. Heavy rains and traffic weren't best test conditions. Detailed review coming soon.
anshurao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 10:44   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Took the delivery of my Polo 1.5 GT TDI today, man I am impressed(Compared to the swift). I have just driven over 50 Kms today. Heavy rains and traffic weren't best test conditions. Detailed review coming soon.

Congrats, anshurao

Which color is it? Please share some pics of the beauty.
Old 29th October 2014, 08:18   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You live only once! If it were me, I would have gone ahead and bought the 1.6L itself. Why to take a downsized engine just to save some cash?! If it's a sports car (by Indian standards), then better have the proper version!
Your logic, with a bit of twist . I went ahead and brought home the GT GTsi. I was really really hoping for a DSG in the Diesel GT. And the GT Tsi is a dream to drive. Had to cross the 'Petrol=expensive' barrier in my head. But as you said, we live only once'
inomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 01:21   #305

Recent pricelist for VW, Siliguri,WB. Shame, they don't have either of the GT's for TD here
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-img_20141105_011503.jpg  

Old 19th December 2014, 19:40   #306
BHPian

I am considering buying the GT TDI and got this quote today:

Ex-showroom: 8,45,071
Insurance : 32101
Life tax+registration: 63655
Accessories pack: 11578
On Road: 9,52,406

Extended warranty 3yr: 9231
Ext warranty 4yr: 15632

The extended warranty seems to be a on the higher side or is this normal?
Old 20th December 2014, 20:09   #307
BANNED

I paid 13041 for my TSI. There was no option between the 3yr4yr, only the 4 year one was available.
Have a look at the GT TSI. ESP has saved me.
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:35   #308
Senior - BHPian

Very disappointed!!! A whopping 15% reduction in duty but nothing passed on to customers? Customer is losing out, and paying same price - someone thought they can outsmart but guess what - the GT buyer is most informed!!
And they are a disgusted lot right now.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 12:46   #309
BHPian

I have drived my new GT TDI for about 250 km now and I am slowly getting to know it better. It is a pleasure to drive it everyday. Some preliminary observations:
  • The clutch is fairly hard. Perhaps this is because it is a new vehicle.
  • A pull/jerk is felt when shifting gears. The gear shifting is not smooth (not yet, at least).
  • There is a rattling sound coming from the left side of the cabin. Don't know if it is from the door or something else. Can't seem to figure this out yet. I will checkout the DIY thread on this.
  • Still in the running-in period and haven't taken it beyond 2000 RPM ( & 75 km/h) until now, so I can't comment on engine power yet but the torque surge that is experienced in starting in first/ moving into second gear is quite exciting.
  • It is a joy to hold the leather-wrapped steering wheel. The steering itself is on the lighter side and doesm't offer much feedback.
  • Avg. Mileage is very good (around 23 km/l with ac on), though I do drive a lot on the highways on my way to work.
  • I have found the breaking to be quite good (though I have used breaks quite gently).
  • The dead pedal is extremely convenient and helpful.I use it all the time.
More to come later.
Old 12th January 2015, 11:53   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post

I have drived my new GT TDI for about 250 km now and I am slowly getting to know it better. It is a pleasure to drive it everyday. More to come later.
Congrats aurelino on your latest acquisition and welcome to the GT Club!!

As a first time owner of a German Car, here are some points that may help you with your GT:

- The clutch on both Polo & Vento Diesels are hard and it almost has nothing to do with the cars age. After driving my GT for over 10k clicks, I have more than got used to the feel now.
- The "pull/jerk" while shifting gears may be related to the way you are release the clutch. The GT has a tendency to kick back hard on releasing the clutch, something that you will eventually learn to do smoothly.
- Regarding the running in, try and modulate the speeds and don't hold 70kmph or 80kmph constantly. Neither stay at high speeds for long time.
- Braking has had a positive feedback from all the new Polo owners and I only wish my 1.6 GT also had better braking.
- The mileage numbers that you will get on long drives will blow you away faster than the GT's acceleration.

To sum it up, POLO GT (TSi & TDI) are cars that a true enthusiast can buy blindfolded in India today. Only 2 things I have on the Wishlist:

1. VW Service & Backup seems to be improving and hope they don't hit a brick wall.
2. Some more visual exclusivity for GT twins would have helped justify the price.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 10:46   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats aurelino on your latest acquisition and welcome to the GT Club!!

As a first time owner of a German Car, here are some points that may help you with your GT:

- The clutch on both Polo & Vento Diesels are hard and it almost has nothing to do with the cars age. After driving my GT for over 10k clicks, I have more than got used to the feel now.
- The "pull/jerk" while shifting gears may be related to the way you are release the clutch. The GT has a tendency to kick back hard on releasing the clutch, something that you will eventually learn to do smoothly.
- Regarding the running in, try and modulate the speeds and don't hold 70kmph or 80kmph constantly. Neither stay at high speeds for long time.
- Braking has had a positive feedback from all the new Polo owners and I only wish my 1.6 GT also had better braking.
- The mileage numbers that you will get on long drives will blow you away faster than the GT's acceleration.
Thanks, Vik0728. Yes, the clutch control has become better with careful use. I am finding modulating the speed difficult because one has to pay attention to the traffic flow as well.

I have a question: what are the optimum tire pressure values that can be used in a a wide-variety of loading scenarios?

VW specifies 33/33 for driver+1 and moderate luggage
and 36/39 for a full load (driver+4 and heavy luggage).

I drive to work by myself but at other times have my wife and little kid sitting in the back seat. I suppose 33/33 should cover this situation but what if I am driving with (say) 3 people (surely, 36/39 would be too much in this case)? Is there an in-between setting that I can follow?

Last edited by aurelino : 16th January 2015 at 10:58.
Old 16th January 2015, 11:01   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post

I have a question: what are the optimum tire pressure values that can be used in a a wide-variety of loading scenarios?

VW specifies 33/33 for driver+1 and moderate luggage
and 36/39 for a full load (driver+4 and heavy luggage).
Well aurelino I am not sure about you, but I have changed the tires on my GT to 205/55/R15. So the tread is much wider than OEM but the profile is lower as well.

So here is what I follow:

- I ensure I only use Nitrogen in my Tires & not air. Have always used the same in all of my car ownerships.

- I use 32 PSI for Front & 33 PSI for Rear, which I check/top-up/refill once every 2 months.

- If & Only If there are journeys involving more than 3 adults, I fill in 33 PSI in the Front & 34 PSI at the Rear.

I am not pointing at or suggesting you to follow the same. Just that I find the GT a bit more balanced with those pressure numbers in the tires, considering 2 factors:

1. Polo has a stiffer suspension compared to my previous car, Hyundai Getz.

2. Whether its N2 or Air, they expand a lot on long drives. This gives the tires enough 'Expansion Room' during those long runs, without effecting the ride or handling.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 16th January 2015 at 11:03.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 11:48   #313
BHPian

Also, I can't seem to be able to fold the ORVM into the body when parked. I am reluctant to push them too hard.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:59   #314
BANNED

You'll get used to it. Try putting even pressure on the full mirror.
They become a little lighter and smoother after a month or so.
Old 19th January 2015, 22:15   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Well aurelino I am not sure about you, but I have changed the tires on my GT to 205/55/R15.
==========
2. Whether its N2 or Air, they expand a lot on long drives. This gives the tires enough 'Expansion Room' during those long runs, without effecting the ride or handling.

I have been constantly maintaining 34 psi on all tyres for the past year and found a significant improvement in handling, the steering feels heavier. N2 needs a refill every week to maintain the 34 levels. The ride is a little bouncy but steering feel is brilliant especially at speeds of 100-120 kmph.
The moment pressure falls to 30 the steering feel is lost

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks