Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 10:16   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
I received a mail from VW about bringing in my 2013 GT TDi for the Diesel-gate remap, in December. The update was performed when I dropped her off for the annual service in January.
That is quite strange Sundar that the software update was done on your GT in Jan.

I had dropped off my GT TDI (2014) for 45k service last month but there were no updates available for the 1.6 TDI yet

All said and done, one thing which we both can agree on is that intoxicating shove we get every time we floor the throttle, and as long as that exists, I could care less about any software/hardware updates

OT - Guess your signature is a bit messed up buddy and I am assuming that the D390 is 2016 and the GT TDI is 2013. You may want to relook at that?
Old 27th April 2017, 10:42   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
That is quite strange Sundar that the software update was done on your GT in Jan.

I had dropped off my GT TDI (2014) for 45k service last month but there were no updates available for the 1.6 TDI yet
I failed to mention that I got the service done at VW Palace Cross in Rajajinagar.
Also, I'm beginning to wonder if the software update was an update to the latest ECU fimrmware and engine map or if it was for Diesel-gate.

In any case.. Like you said, as long as the shove is there, no concerns whatsoever !

Cheers !

Sundar

Last edited by navin : 28th April 2017 at 12:58. Reason: removed some HTML tag
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:17   #393
BHPian

Guys, SW update for 1.6 Diesel is available from 2nd May'17.

Yesterday I had visited Bangalore motors for general servicing my 1.6 GT TDI and the service adviser had confirmed me this heart breaking news!
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:33   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post

Yesterday I had visited Bangalore motors for general servicing my 1.6 GT TDI and the service adviser had confirmed me this heart breaking news!
What would be the real "Hear Breaker" keeru would be the post update performance, if it really takes aways the 1.6 TDI punch

Can you please update this thread once you get your stead back on the difference you notice post the s/w update?

Though I have got another 15k Kms/1yr left before I return to the VW service center, I can at least prepare myself for this if I get an impromptu visit need.
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:50   #395
BHPian

Quote:

Can you please update this thread once you get your stead back on the difference you notice post the s/w update?
Hi Vik0728, Yesterday, I was lucky enough as the SW update had received at 4:00pm when my car was ready to be delivered post service.

So, my car was untouched with respect to SW update.

Also, the adviser had confirmed me that unless the customer approves for the update, they won't take it up.
keeru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:17   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Also, the adviser had confirmed me that unless the customer approves for the update, they won't take it up.
That it is optional is good news, but I am not confident that it will never be done by mistake.

My car is coming up for third-year service. For now, at least, I think I will say no to the update.

At the end of the following year, it will be bye-bye warranty, and, if I so choose, which I probably will, bye-bye dealer service.

Post warranty-dealer-service-scam, I will go to the dealer only if I want or choose to.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd May 2017 at 18:20.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 11:46   #397
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have been receiving SMS from VW A.S.S, Bangalore Motors for the software update. I'm reluctant to get my car fixed with this SW update.

Has any one got this fixed in their 1.6 GT TDIs?
Old 20th June 2017, 13:40   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I have been receiving SMS from VW A.S.S, Bangalore Motors for the software update. I'm reluctant to get my car fixed with this SW update.

Has any one got this fixed in their 1.6 GT TDIs?
I have been receiving a similar text keeru, and I am just simply deleting it from my phone

I had my GT serviced couple of months back at ~45k kms, and I have got another year or 15K kms to avoid the VW A.s.S.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 17:01   #399
BHPian

Today I got a call from B.U. Bhandari, Pune about software update to my 2013 GT. The caller said they will be a 'gift' for getting this software upgraded. I asked her if this is mandatory to get it upgraded, the response was negative. She said so far no one has complained about any problems post upgrade.

I am still in double mind if I should go for this upgrade.
Old 30th August 2017, 23:14   #400
RDS
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: 1.05L km up + DIY servicing!

Guys, help me in taking the correct decision.

I usually keep cars long term (say 10 years) and take good care of them.

I am getting a GT TDI (1.6) in used market for only 4L (Jan 2014 - 59000 KMs on ODO). I am looking forward to buying either a GT TDI or an Aspire/Figo Diesel 1.5 TDCi. No other option for me.
I am getting a Nov 2015 Figo Titanium + for 6L in used market (15000 KMs on ODO) from Ford Dealer with One year warranty.

Last - I am getting an Aspire Trend (Without ABS with EBD model) - Aug 2016 model for 5.35 L. Being a Fast driver, I think ABS is the minimal requirement in fast cars but this is a steal deal money wise.

Financially GT is the good deal and I am drooling over it but the 1.6 engine is gone even from Vento. Will this cause long term issues and should I let the deal go or grab it?

Please help.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st August 2017 at 00:44. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please stick to the rules. Thanks!
Old 30th August 2017, 23:51   #401
BHPian

What kind of engine issues are your concern? The 1.6L engine has been really popular around the globe, known to last for a few couple of lakh kilometers. When it comes to service and parts availability, VW has a lot of common elements across platforms. That should not really be a cause for worry. If the owner has kept the vehicle in good condition - the regular service and jazz, then I guess you are sorted in my opinion.
Old 31st August 2017, 08:48   #402
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelsingh View Post
What kind of engine issues are your concern? The 1.6L engine has been really popular around the globe, known to last for a few couple of lakh kilometers. When it comes to service and parts availability, VW has a lot of common elements across platforms. That should not really be a cause for worry. If the owner has kept the vehicle in good condition - the regular service and jazz, then I guess you are sorted in my opinion.
Thank you. That is what I wanted to confirm. I drove this car a few weeks back and I was just stunned by the way it drove - that kind and level of impressive turbo boost was my first.

Now, my mind is clear on this and should there should be no hiccups deciding in GT's favor. I will take a final decision by today evening.
Old 31st August 2017, 10:51   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Guys, help me in taking the correct decision.

I usually keep cars long term (say 10 years) and take good care of them.
Hey RDS, all 3 choices that you have shortlisted are what Indian automotive industry has to offer that is closest to Diesel Performance machines in the mass market.

No other Diesel Car under 10-12lakhs even comes close PERIOD

However, I am bit confused here. On one hand you say you tend to keep your cars for a decade, and on the other you want to buy a used car?
If I were you, I would rather pick up a new one and keep it for 10yrs, of which ~5yrs will be a fuss free ownership.

Of course if its your budget that is pushing you for this, I am not sure if VW would be a good choice.

I have a 2014 (May) 1.6 GT TDI that has clocked about 48K kms, and it is just rock steady. The engine is what I bought this car for, and never has it let me down once. The product and engineering is just brilliant.

But I am not sure if I would be driving this car even in 2020. The service technicians are incompetent and sort of ignorant for the most part.

I don't know about the Ford after sales, but as the Figo twins have most of the parts localized, I am pretty sure this is a better & safer bet over VW, especially in a used segment.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 31st August 2017 at 10:53.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 11:14   #404
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Hey RDS, all 3 choices that you have shortlisted are what Indian automotive industry has to offer that is closest to Diesel Performance machines in the mass market.
I don't know about the Ford after sales, but as the Figo twins have most of the parts localized, I am pretty sure this is a better & safer bet over VW, especially in a used segment.
This is what I was also thinking. Yes, budget is a major consideration for me as I am also investing in my own start up. If I buy a GT, I will need to stay with it at least till 2024 (if not 2027) that is if my start up doesn't take off in 2 years.

GT is a great deal but I was worried with what VW has done recently - pulled out from Auto show 2018 completely just like GM.

I do not want to spend and then suddenly find myself in a trap (if VW pulls out of the country).

Now, seeing your message, I find Figo Trend Aspire as best deal monetarily but Figo Titanium+ as VFM deal. I don't care much about other things but it is the ABS with EBD that helps me favor Figo Diesel. Any suggestions?
Old 31st August 2017, 23:52   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2014 (May) 1.6 GT TDI that has clocked about 48K kms, and it is just rock steady. The engine is what I bought this car for, and never has it let me down once. The product and engineering is just brilliant.

But I am not sure if I would be driving this car even in 2020. The service technicians are incompetent and sort of ignorant for the most part.
I have too, and I very much hope to keep it for a decade! After this current final extended-warranty year, it is likely that I would go independent rather than dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
This is what I was also thinking. Yes, budget is a major consideration for me ...
There is at least one good thread on how much more we can get for our money by buying a used car. Without buying used, I might still have a Polo, but it absolutely could not have been a GT.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks