Team-BHP - Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/143597-volkswagen-polo-1-6l-gt-tdi-official-review-31.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5188942)
I might not have noticed it, as my city driving is mostly under 2,000rpm (that is what I like about diesel engines: low-rev grunt) but my car is now refusing to go above 2,500rmp. It's in limp mode.

Given experience a few weeks ago of the car completely loosing power for a few seconds, my money is on (and will probably be spent on) one or more injector, again. If so, I'll go the refurbished route again.

Btw what was the outcome of this situation? Injector(s) repair/replacement or something else? Not aware if you expanded on this on a different thread/post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 5487337)
Btw what was the outcome of this situation? ...

The outcome of the problem was... no problem!

One thing was my mistake/ignorance: the apparent revs limitation was not a problem at all: I was not trying it when driving. There's a limiter which caps the revs when not under load. Who knew? Well... probably everyone but me. Especially here.

The other thing, the engine just coughing and giving no power for a very short time, just went away. Maybe it was some dirt in the fuel. Maybe it was an injector that righted itself. I don't know, but I'm glad to say that it passed.

It is now about three years since VW ASS told me that I needed to replace suspension components. They showed me that the rubber boots on the shock absorbers were going off. A year later, Raghav (Ignite Garage) told me not to worry about it.

This is how it is now...

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-susp.jpg

This is with the wheel removed for a puncture repair, so fully extended.

Raghav still says don't worry about it.

I flew off an unnoticed speed bump the other day. It was quite a jolt, but I think the suspension is fine. Absurd we can't just replace the rubber.

Back then, VW ASS also highlighted the clutch. It is still going. Although I wouldn't say going strong: I seem to need to push it all the way down more, so I guess that its days are numbered. But I have no trouble driving the car. The steepest hill here is the hump in and out of the house.

If I remember correctly, the mileage is still only 54k km

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5487456)
It is now about three years since VW ASS told me that I needed to replace suspension components. They showed me that the rubber boots on the shock absorbers were going off. A year later, Raghav (Ignite Garage) told me not to worry about it.

That car does need urgent suspension work - and possibly a clutch replacement as well. I suppose Raghav’s logic, which seeing these photos I don’t agree with, is that it is driven far too less for you to spend money changing suspension bushes and bump stoppers.

The downside is, if you drive the car too long in this condition even on local Chennai roads, you end up having to replace struts, upper / lower arm and a bunch of other things besides. You will eventually get a much bigger bill so if you intend to keep that GT for a few more years, do the suspension repair now rather than later.

AC gas low doesn’t mean the first thing you do is top up gas and tell you to use the car. For any future car ac work go to Prakash at S Jagannathan car ac on North Usman Road. Low coolant was the first thing the guy checked for and found when a cabbie came to him with a complaint about his ac cutting out frequently. There are multiple reviews of his garage on BHP if you want to read them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 5489053)
That car does need urgent suspension work - and possibly a clutch replacement as well. I suppose Raghav’s logic, which seeing these photos I don’t agree with, is that it is driven far too less for you to spend money changing suspension bushes and bump stoppers.

The downside is, if you drive the car too long in this condition even on local Chennai roads, you end up having to replace struts, upper / lower arm and a bunch of other things besides. You will eventually get a much bigger bill so if you intend to keep that GT for a few more years, do the suspension repair now rather than later.

It's not only Raghav who suggests this. Most workshops suggest the same thing and for good reason - in order to replace those bump stops, you have to disassemble the shock absorbers after which you will not be able to assemble it back without damage, especially for partially worn out shock absorbers. They all suggest to continue using it.

We followed the same advice and there were no ill affects - the bump stops wore out around 60k kms but the front shock absorbers were only replaced after 120k kms. Same story with the rear shocks which are ready for replacement currently at 130k kms.

But what these workshops will definitely suggest are replacing bushes when worn out. Totally worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 5489053)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 5489095)
It's not only Raghav who suggests this. Most workshops suggest the same thing and for good reason - in order to replace those bump stops, you have to disassemble the shock absorbers after which you will not be able to assemble it back without damage, especially for partially worn out shock absorbers. They all suggest to continue using it.

Thank you both for your reactions. For now, I do not intend to get suspension work done.

The AC mechanic was a very thorough guy. I suspect that he would have looked at the coolant, but I do not know. All I do know is that I didn't check it. And that is shameful. Lesson learned.

The gas was indeed empty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5489300)
Thank you both for your reactions. For now, I do not intend to get suspension work done.

The AC mechanic was a very thorough guy. I suspect that he would have looked at the coolant, but I do not know. All I do know is that I didn't check it. And that is shameful. Lesson learned.

The gas was indeed empty.

AC gas is a sealed system so if you see that topping up is never the solution, not even a “let us top it up and check”. As you can see your car had a problem that was best caught early, and in many other cars the issue is a failed evaporator (or in local terms “cooling coil”).

Please get the suspension bushes checked and replaced, it will save you a ton of money going forward if you intend to keep the GT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 5489498)
Please get the suspension bushes checked and replaced, it will save you a ton of money going forward if you intend to keep the GT.

Thank you, hserus. I will revisit the suspension and clutch issues in a few months.

Yes, I do plan to keep the car. :)