Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 11:01   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
On the return leg, I did bit sensible driving and stayed in 90-100 range with few overtaking maneuver taking speed to 110. This time I was surprised to get FE of 22.8
Reminds me of a recent tweet by Overdrive.

Difference between a Polo GT TDI & TSI.

With a quarter tank of fuel left, the TSI's range is 70 kms...the same for the TDI is 170 kms
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 13:46   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
34000 - is roughly the insurance amount for the 1st year comprehensive insurance (Bajaj Allianz tie-up) provided under the scheme

I also called up Bajaj Allianz and got an insurance quote from them for a November 2012 registered VW Polo GT TDi (approx amounts below for IDV of 7.45L) -
31400 - for a comprehensive policy
37500 - for a zero-dep policy with "engine shield"

Finally, if my calculations are correct, I think going for the VW scheme is not advisable. Folks, please correct me if any data or calculations above seem incorrect.
Correction:
According to the advertisement(posted above by Gannu) VW is offering free insurance for 3 years. I guess you have not considered this.
Old 18th November 2013, 16:18   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Correction:
According to the advertisement(posted above by Gannu) VW is offering free insurance for 3 years. I guess you have not considered this.
Oh yes! That is right. Thanks for correcting the oversight.

By the way, I just made the booking on a white GT TDi 20 minutes back. I did not opt for the VW finance scheme primarily because I got a great loan deal from IDBI - 10.25% fixed for 5 years, no-charges prepayment and foreclosure possible after 6 months. I opted for Bajaj Allianz insurance because I got a quote around 5K less than what VW was charging.

I will hopefully get delivery sometime this week. Fingers crossed!
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 18:17   #109
BHPian

Did a TD of the polo gt tdi. Although I am impressed with the engine, the steering is disappointing to say the least. A car that targets the enthusiasts deserves a better steering. it is just too light and there is no feedback at all. May be I am spoilt by my Palio.
bruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 19:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Did a TD of the polo gt tdi. Although I am impressed with the engine, the steering is disappointing to say the least. A car that targets the enthusiasts deserves a better steering. it is just too light and there is no feedback at all. May be I am spoilt by my Palio.
I have the same background (ex-Palio owner) and had the same feelings (light steering) about the GT. I'm hoping an upgrade to 205/55r15 Yoko S-Drives will help with the weight. I found the steering to be precise, but didn't give any feedback - like you rightly said. I guess it is something I will have to get used to and train my brain to "guess" the amount of travel the steering wheel needs to undergo to get the expected results. Over time, I hope to be able to live with it without too much complaint.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:20   #111
BHPian

Quote:
I have the same background (ex-Palio owner) and had the same feelings (light steering) about the GT. I'm hoping an upgrade to 205/55r15 Yoko S-Drives will help with the weight. I found the steering to be precise, but didn't give any feedback - like you rightly said. I guess it is something I will have to get used to and train my brain to "guess" the amount of travel the steering wheel needs to undergo to get the expected results. Over time, I hope to be able to live with it without too much complaint.
I hope the upgrade helps. One thing I noticed is that most of the cars these days have steering that is not to my taste. It is one the major reasons that I am still living with my Palio (Stile 1.1) even though the spares are exorbitantly priced. Apart from the spares pricing and unavailability, the car is a delight.

But then the Polo is a good buy for someone who wants a mature and safe hatch, with a fantastic engine. Driveability is fab and it feels really relaxed at city speeds.

I hope cars like Polo and Liva 1.5 well, so as to encourage manufacturers to bring similar cars to Indian market.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:50   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
On another note, I thought I will put some pics of my car after the tyre upgrade. Its Yoko S drive 205/55 R15 , paid 6200 per piece in Pune.
Bought it from Lokmanya tires, the price was the cheapest among the many I inquired. He even offered round about 2000 for my stock tires, as they were already run for around 2100 Kms. He suggested selling out in the open market will fetch more money for the tyres and I ended up selling the same in Olx for 12500 for a set of 4.
Quoting rejoycjohn to get his attention ..

Maybe rejoycjohn could throw light on if he found any positive difference in the steering weight and feeback (if yes, how much difference?) after upgrading his GT TDi to 205/55r15s.
Old 20th November 2013, 00:13   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Quoting rejoycjohn to get his attention ..

Maybe rejoycjohn could throw light on if he found any positive difference in the steering weight and feeback (if yes, how much difference?) after upgrading his GT TDi to 205/55r15s.
Hey Etchemkay,
Just saw this quote now.

Well I drove my GT TDi for around 900 Kms after the tyre upgrade. Mostly city, I will do a long high way drive when I head home for Christmas.
The main difference is felt when you negotiate a curve, with the new tires the car feel much more planted than on stock.
Steering feedback was always direct in Polo, now with broader tires steering feels a tad more heavier. That said, I felt the polo 1.6 Tdi steering was not as light as the 1.2 TDi.
I think there is a small drop in acceleration, again I guess its due to the wider rubber.
I hope this helps, but if you have more questions please feel free to ask.
Old 22nd November 2013, 03:57   #114
Senior - BHPian

Was reading through ACI October issue where they've mentioned that the new 1.5 tdi will be tuned to make 89bhp for the regular Polo and 105 bhp for the GT variant. Found a link to the article online too:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...14-356952.aspx

Quoting from it:
Quote:
The 1.5 TDI engine will come with two power outputs 66kw (89bhp) and 77kw (104bhp) and will replace the 1.2 litre three-cylinder diesel and the 1.6 TDI respectively.

The standard Polo will be get the 89bhp engine whilst the more powerful 104bhp variant of the 1.5 diesel, expected with a variable-geometry-turbo (VGT) will power the Vento saloon and the 2014 Polo GT TDI.
If this is true, is it not better for prospective GT owners to wait a few months and pick up the exact same car, hopefully at a lesser price and with more features ?
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:53   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
...If this is true, is it not better for prospective GT owners to wait a few months and pick up the exact same car, hopefully at a lesser price and with more features ?
My hunch is they will NOT price it lesser. They will try to make some profits once they get some tax exemptions.

But seeing the response to the GTD, I don't think they can hold on to the pricing for long.
Old 27th November 2013, 20:14   #116
Team-BHP Support

Stumbled upon these puddle lamps installed on a GTI and I am in awe!

Name:  pl2.png
Views: 5535
Size:  478.5 KB

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-pl3.png

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-pl1.png

Messing with the electricals will most definitely void the warranty but the projected logo looks so awesome, I couldn't help but share it here.

Source - Cartronics

Looks like some car accessory shop in Bangalore is doing this. Saw a random post on Fb's Polo group with a guy's post. Neatly done.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 20:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Stumbled upon these puddle lamps installed on a GTI and I am in awe!

Looks like some car accessory shop in Bangalore is doing this. Saw a random post on Fb's Polo group with a guy's post. Neatly done.
Gannu, there are two ways to it.

One, you mess up with the stock wiring, drill your door pads and install these projectors. Not recommended.

Two, you get something like http://www.ebay.in/itm/281147461864?...ht_5625wt_1141

Needs no cutting, no messing with wires. But might look a bit odd for the keen eye.

If you love them, I would suggest go for Option 2!
Old 27th November 2013, 21:21   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Gannu, there are two ways to it.

One, you mess up with the stock wiring, drill your door pads and install these projectors. Not recommended.
Actually, there is a way in VCDS to enable the puddle lights on the ORVMs and the light on the lower edge of the door both of which are missing on the Polo variants sold here. Someone who's well versed with the system (like Sugesh from Vagtune or the good guys at Pete's who's always fiddling with some VAG car everyday) can easily enable them. Of course, it requires drilling the pads for installation but looks much more neat and clean IMO. The other alternative sticks out like a sore thumb.

I am not much inclined to mod mine for more bling right now. Essentials need to be catered to first. The dead pedal is yet to be installed thanks to a funky little hex. nut.

Regardless, thanks for the tip Adi! Appreciate it.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:50   #119
BHPian

AFAIK this is the product used in POLO
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/spee...302?pos=15;183

Drilling is required , seeing it on a handful of cars since past 2-3 months
The wireless one looks out of place especially if you have black interiors!

IMHO if you are friendly with the dealer they get a bit lenient .
Old 28th November 2013, 14:13   #120
Team-BHP Support

And technically, these cannot be called puddle lamps because a puddle lamp is ideally located beneath the ORVM so when the keyfob is used to unlock the car, the lights are turned on which helps the driver/passengers illuminate the ground near the doors potentially warning them of any puddle (or anything else) that may step on. In this case, someone has to open the doors to activate these lights so other than the bling factor, it doesn't help much.

On a related note, this is the puddle lamp of the RR Evoque located beneath the ORVM.

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-2013landroverrangeroverevoque013.jpg

Now that's a legit puddle lamp.

Source
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed