Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 18:48   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Had a test drive of the GT TDI at Palace Cross showroom.
To my bad luck, the turbo was shot on the test car which the advisor did not know.

I took the car out to the main road and floored it and the car took its own sweet time in gaining speed. My souped up Figo 1.2 felt faster. It didn't hit me that I can't feel the turbo kick in until few minutes in to the test drive when I asked the advisor if the car has an issue . The glow plug coil symbol was blinking from the time I started the engine which I am sure means something was wrong.

On an empty stretch , the advisor asked me to floor since he thought I am not doing so which is why the turbo push could not be felt. When I floored it in second , there was 0 turbo kick and the engine revd only upto around 2.5k after which it kind of choked and I shifted up. I was able to get speeds upto 70-80kmh by upshifting around 2-2.5k rpm , of course, I was driving the 1.6 NA Diesel engine by now. The car had run around 3000 kms.
The advisor agreed there was something wrong with the car. Went to the Mahindra showroom next door and and drove the XUV for the lost dose of turbo kick.
Apart from that, the steering was a big negative compared to my Figo. Too assisted which removed the enjoyment of driving.

According to Palace Cross showroom, they have around 3-4 GT TDI's in different colors which are readily available now. They have stopped bookings for the TSI Vento and Polo until Feb.

Last edited by tharian : 15th December 2013 at 18:50.
Old 19th December 2013, 01:05   #122
PKH
BHPian

I bought a Polo GT TDI in October 2013 from EVM Kollam Kerala. Since it was soon after the launch there were no offers and I was disapointed that after 2 months the same model was offered with free insurance or 15K discount. But last week I was in for a plesant surprise as Volkswagen called me to inform me that I won a GPS system as a part of Volksfest Luckydip contest that was running in October . I was not expecting this as I have never won anything in luckydips and quite frankly I would expect them to give these offers to prospective customers to entice them to buy their product and not to existing customers.
After all the negative comments that I have heard from various sources I have to say that EVM Motors, Kollam and Volkswagen have done a pretty good job.
Old 19th December 2013, 07:26   #123
Team-BHP Support

Guys, have a query. One of my friend got himself the GT Tdi. Now whenever the remote is operated to lock/unlock the car, it operates with the horn. How to deactivate the horn's operation while locking/unlocking car.

I have driven the Vento significantly, so it was not a new experience, but the clutch operation is smoother and the spike is maddening. The wheels find a hard time coping with [good] tarmac in 2nd near 3,000 revs and above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Apart from that, the steering was a big negative compared to my Figo. Too assisted which removed the enjoyment of driving.
Not just steering, but chassis as well. The planted feel is missing.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th December 2013 at 07:29.
Old 19th December 2013, 07:50   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, have a query. One of my friend got himself the GT Tdi. Now whenever the remote is operated to lock/unlock the car, it operates with the horn. How to deactivate the horn's operation while locking/unlocking
It is a simple job at the service center. If he can wait till first service they will do it for free. Else they may bill some nominal charge to get it done.
noopster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 10:23   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, have a query. One of my friend got himself the GT Tdi. Now whenever the remote is operated to lock/unlock the car, it operates with the horn. How to deactivate the horn's operation while locking/unlocking car.
Absolutely.
It's damn irritating and I want to disable it on my Polo GT TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It is a simple job at the service center. If he can wait till first service they will do it for free. Else they may bill some nominal charge to get it done.
Do they cut wires? Or disable through s/w?
Old 19th December 2013, 10:52   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Software.

Agree it is really annoying. Cost cutting taken to ridiculous extents. I am happier after disabling it. The light still blinks but no horn.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:42   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not just steering, but chassis as well. The planted feel is missing.
I couldn't figure out how good/bad the chassis was since the car was not fast at all.
I actually took the test drive to feel the power kick in and do a mental comparison with the TSi GT which I had driven and yes on the TSI, I could feel that the car was not planted , especially on the fly overs.

At the end, I ended up comparing the TDI GT with my Figo 1.2 becuase of the lack of turbo power.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:56   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Software.

Agree it is really annoying. Cost cutting taken to ridiculous extents. I am happier after disabling it. The light still blinks but no horn.
Interesting. I got my vehicle delivered during last week of September but the horns don't operate with remote locking / unlocking.
Old 19th December 2013, 16:13   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
They do it through the VCDS after connecting the system to the OBD port.

My car fortunately did not have the horns enabled with the locking system. The indicator lights flash.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 19:15   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
They do it through the VCDS after connecting the system to the OBD port.

My car fortunately did not have the horns enabled with the locking system. The indicator lights flash.
This forum seems to have absolutely gone silent. The GT TSI forum is still buzzing with activity. What happened, GT TDI owners? Nothing interesting to share?
Old 24th January 2014, 20:34   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This forum seems to have absolutely gone silent. The GT TSI forum is still buzzing with activity. What happened, GT TDI owners? Nothing interesting to share?
I have to start working on a couple of threads - one for my initial ownership and another describing a recent drive down to goa in my GT TDi.

One thing I have to say right now though - I am in LOVE with my "RedDart". I feel so fortunate I ended up buying her and not any other (was looking at a used Palio 1.6, a used Fiesta Classic 1.6 and the Swift ZDi).
Old 24th January 2014, 21:19   #132
BHPian

Quote:

Don't know really. I'm thoroughly enjoying my GT TDI. I had got it remapped at Pete's during their Dec discount period. Have already clocked 12500km and its a brilliant hatchback. Have driven couple of times to and fro from Chennai to my native in Calicut . Multiple drive between chennai bangalore and its a blast , specially considering the fact its a hatchback.
Old 24th January 2014, 21:52   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What happened, GT TDI owners? Nothing interesting to share?
As they say, no news is good news.

I am enjoying my ride like the rest. On the upgrade front, unfortunately not much except for the HU upgrade to the Blaupunkt unit. There are some minor upgrades in the pipeline - my ownership log would be updated as and when they happen. I am planning to drive down to my hometown through the Konkan route during September and get a remap done from Pete's. But before that, there is a trip planned to Leh during summer this year. I hope it goes well.

Over the last 2 weeks, I was away from Surat owing to some family functions and a subsequent illness. I missed my ride thus. I am heading back tomorrow evening. Eagerly looking forward to get back home and crank her up!
Old 24th January 2014, 23:50   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Don't know really. I'm thoroughly enjoying my GT TDI. I had got it remapped at Pete's during their Dec discount period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am planning to drive down to my hometown through the Konkan route during September and get a remap done from Pete's. But before that, there is a trip planned to Leh during summer this year. I hope it goes well.
Wow. I was contemplating going the piggyback ECU route or a remap, but only maybe a couple of years down the line (fear of warranty hassles). You guys are tempting me to jump in sooner. avinash_clt, any comments on the post-remap GT TDi? How much more "crazy" does she get?

Offtopic- Gannu, I'm planning and looking forward to the Leh drive this year as well. I'm hoping my TDi will have the pleasure of the company of yours. Cheers!

Ontopic again - Somehow I haven't seen a single GT TDi on the road in Pune. I see a lot of TSis though. Is the experience of other owners in other cities similar?
Old 25th January 2014, 09:15   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post

Wow. I was contemplating going the piggyback ECU route or a remap, but only maybe a couple of years down the line (fear of warranty hassles). You guys are tempting me to jump in sooner. avinash_clt, any comments on the post-remap GT TDi? How much more "crazy" does she get?
Well I particularly opted for a map that is almost stock up to 2nd gear and with flatter bumped up torque in 3rd and 4th and till around 4.3k rpm. End result is that power delivery is more linear and vehicle pulling cleanly in every gear even more. There is no additional shove back to the seat and the jerks between gear shifts is controlled better. I haven't timed it. But the way it relentlessly pulls from 70kmph all the to 175 in 5th gear is amazing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks