Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 01:00   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanoop.Patteri View Post
As per the manual, reserve is 6 liters.
I thought the same as well when I read through the manual while waiting for my Empress's delivery.

But the manual is wrong.

1) Dealer said there was almost 5 liters in the tank when I took delivery. That meant I should have been on reserve already! After my 12-km drive to the nearest petrol pump, Empress took in a little over 35 liters of diesel for her first tankful, for my trip home.
Low Fuel Indicator didn't come on or blink even once through all of this.

2) Subsequent 2 tankfuls were done by me after the Low Fuel Indicator came on. For the last one, as soon as the Low Fuel Warning flashed, I stopped the car immediately and checked the FE on the MID (20.0 kmpl) and the Distance to Empty (54 kms). Don't remember the figures of the earlier one. Both times it translated to 2.7 liters.

3) If the reserve has 6 liters, then there should be a drastic variation in actual & displayed MID's FE figures - 54 kms remaining means my i-DTEC is giving 9 kmpl (!!), and neel's CVT is giving him a little over 4 kmpl (?!!).
Impossible.
Old 8th May 2014, 07:44   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I thought the same as well when I read through the manual while waiting for my Empress's delivery.

But the manual is wrong.

1) Dealer said there was almost 5 liters in the tank when I took delivery. That meant I should have been on reserve already! After my 12-km drive to the nearest petrol pump, Empress took in a little over 35 liters of diesel for her first tankful, for my trip home.
Low Fuel Indicator didn't come on or blink even once through all of this.

2) Subsequent 2 tankfuls were done by me after the Low Fuel Indicator came on. For the last one, as soon as the Low Fuel Warning flashed, I stopped the car immediately and checked the FE on the MID (20.0 kmpl) and the Distance to Empty (54 kms). Don't remember the figures of the earlier one. Both times it translated to 2.7 liters.

3) If the reserve has 6 liters, then there should be a drastic variation in actual & displayed MID's FE figures - 54 kms remaining means my i-DTEC is giving 9 kmpl (!!), and neel's CVT is giving him a little over 4 kmpl (?!!).
Impossible.
I have similar questions on tank capacity on of my Honda City I-VETC. When the fuel indicator is slightly below quarter tank, distance to empty may show something like 140 kms or 150 kms. If I drive another 20 kms to 30 kms, suddenly the distance to empty reduces drastically and shows a low figure of say 60 kms or something similar and the fuel indicator light comes on.

Then when I fill tank full to auto shut, it fills around 26 liters and then slowly if I top up it takes in another 2 to 3 liters.

So in effect, when the tank goes below quarter tank, the distance to empty indicator just moves very fast to a lower number. e.g. one day when I started in the morning, distance to empty showed close to 150 kms, by end of the day with around 30 kms drive, I ended my at a gas station, since fuel indicator light came on and distance to empty showed some 50 kms. The driving style and route are the same so really with an FE average of 15 kmpl, the fuel indicator should not go down so much. I suspect the shape of the tank must be such that it must be narrow from the base causing this occurrence or maybe a calibration issue with fuel indicator.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 08:43   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek82 View Post
Thx Neel and SumitBahl. This is precisely what I was looking for.

Any pointers for alloy wheel vendors in Bengaluru would be much appreciated.
Based on budget, it would vary. Hot Tracks has good options which is before Lifestyle on Richmond/Victoria Road but fairly expensive. Car Trendz on mission road also has good options. I somehow went with Neo Alloys and sourced it from Madhu Tyres on Langford Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

But the manual is wrong.
One thin I forgot to add to my earlier post was that the MID was showing me 25km left. However I had to drive my car in thick traffic that day and within 15km it says the range is 0 but my car was still going.

The other thing to check maybe is how many litres is available once the MID shows range of '0'. My car just cannot go just 15km once light comes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
I have similar questions on tank capacity on of my Honda City I-VETC. When the fuel indicator is slightly below quarter tank, distance to empty may show something like 140 kms or 150 kms. If I drive another 20 kms to 30 kms, suddenly the distance to empty reduces drastically and shows a low figure of say 60 kms or something similar and the fuel indicator light comes on.
The calculation of 'Range' on MID is also something I'm not sure how its done. Does it reset internally once you do a tank full or whether it keeps an average since the car started running and based on actual mileage keeps on changing. This would be helpful to know specially when you are going on long distance
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 14:00   #1849
AMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
I have similar questions on tank capacity on of my Honda City I-VETC. ................

Then when I fill tank full to auto shut, it fills around 26 liters and then slowly if I top up it takes in another 2 to 3 liters.

So in effect, when the tank goes below quarter tank, the distance to empty indicator just moves very fast to a lower number. e.g. one day when I started in the morning, distance to empty showed close to 150 kms, by end of the day with around 30 kms drive, I ended my at a gas station, since fuel indicator light came on and distance to empty showed some 50 kms. The driving style and route are the same so really with an FE average of 15 kmpl, the fuel indicator should not go down so much. I suspect the shape of the tank must be such that it must be narrow from the base causing this occurrence or maybe a calibration issue with fuel indicator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post

One thin I forgot to add to my earlier post was that the MID was showing me 25km left. However I had to drive my car in thick traffic that day and within 15km it says the range is 0 but my car was still going.

The other thing to check maybe is how many litres is available once the MID shows range of '0'. My car just cannot go just 15km once light comes on.
This was the concern with the 3rd Generation. The tank capacity is smaller and you cannot trust the MID. The averages from 1/3 tank just drops drastically. Full Tank is the only way you can get reliable figures.

Guess the same continues with the 4th Generation.
Old 8th May 2014, 14:45   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel gauge calibration is not perfect. Tank the car up and the gauge is slow to drop in the initial 20-30% but drops very quickly during the last remaining 1/3 of tank. Tanking up on the last remaining bar on the gauge means the car takes in 35-36l of fuel.

OT: The DTE is never accurate. It isn't on the Jazz and it (seemingly) isn't on the new City as well. It shows zero range way too early. This might be deliberate, to protect the fuel pump and to reduce the odds of someone running the car dry.
Old 8th May 2014, 15:58   #1851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Fuel gauge calibration is not perfect. Tank the car up and the gauge is slow to drop in the initial 20-30% but drops very quickly during the last remaining 1/3 of tank.
Very true and I agree. I have tried this a few times.....after a tankful initially the gauge drops slowly. Close to the 1/4th tank mark, it just starts dropping very fast.
e.g. I have filled the tank with auto stop a the gas station. Until 1/2 tank I have driven 225 kms for example, I cannot say with certainty that the remaining 1/2 tank capacity will take me close to another 225 kms. In fact after another say 160 kms, the gauge really dips close to the "E" mark. Then if I fill up at the gas station, it takes in about 26 liters with auto stop.

So if I take 225 + 160 = 385
Thus FE approximately in regular city suburb driving will be 385/26 = 14.8+- kmpl approx.

Even though the tank fill capacity takes only 26 liters approximately after the needle is almost on "E', logically speaking there should be another 14+ liters (assuming Honda City claims to have 40+ liters tank capacity as per brochure). Which would translate into the car going another 210 kms (14 liters * 15 kmpl). I very much doubt it would go even another 100 kms. Never tried it as do not want to try and test and be stranded without fuel.

Thus, with an average of about 15 kmpl in suburbs, which is very decent that Honda City's I-VTEC engine gives, making trips the gas station every 385 km once every 9 to 10 days, I personally feel is too frequent. Would have been good if the Honda City had around 50 liters fuel tank capacity.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 20:19   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjit.Shetty View Post
For all you people who are looking to compare the two rival sedans in the C-segment, here are some interesting comparison points from Honda's analysis for its customers.

I managed to get hold of this 16 page Desk Calendar kind of a Comparison brochure of the NHC 2014 vs. Hyundai Verna, which was strictly designed for internal use.

Cheers,
Ranjit.
Looks like the links you posted were removed by the Moderator. I have posted the same on my ownership report available here: URL

At Magnum Honda, when I asked them for the report, they handed over a black and white photo copy. So, not sure if its internal (but the front page says so). I anyway clicked away all the pages on my mobile as color copy as well

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 8th May 2014 at 20:28.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 21:30   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
The new 2014 Linea t-jet petrol stops, according to Autocar/WhatCar? test figures, a full 2.5 metres before a 2014 Honda City Petrol, from 80kph to 0. The gap is TOO much. It has 16 inch, 205mm wide tyres.
This is news! Real hard news!! and thank you desdemona for having brought it to the notice of this forum. Of course we knew the tyres on the 2014 City were undersized, but didn't imagine the situation to be this bad. Does Honda care for the safety of Indians as much as they do for the citizens of other countries, where a better tyres are provided? A proper sized tyre is the least Honda can do for the nation that has kept them in such high esteem.
anilagdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 22:04   #1854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Of course we knew the tyres on the 2014 City were undersized, but didn't imagine the situation to be this bad. Does Honda care for the safety of Indians as much as they do for the citizens of other countries, where a better tyres are provided? A proper sized tyre is the least Honda can do for the nation that has kept them in such high esteem.
Apart from the obvious size differential, the Tjet runs on Goodyear NCT 5 tires, which are a hell of a lot more grippy than the MRF ZVTV and Goodyear GT3 nonsense the City has to make do with.

Still, I will say that the new City's brakes can also do with some more bite.

A direct comparison: My Jazz on worn GT3 tires and 45k km old pads has much better stopping prowess than my new City D on Michelin XM1 tires.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 00:43   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Hi Guys.

Please do not construe the following as trolling. It is just that I feel ALL city owners need to upsize their tyres drastically, for safety reasons alone, though ride and handling will improve too. The city's petrol engine, and its rigid chassis deserve it!

The new 2014 Linea t-jet petrol stops, according to Autocar/WhatCar? test figures, a full 2.5 metres before a 2014 Honda City Petrol, from 80kph to 0. The gap is TOO much. It has 16 inch, 205mm wide tyres.

Regards!
No doubt the tyres are a huge factor, but it's not entirely down to tires, to be fair. Keep in mind that the TJet has all 4 disc brakes, which is a major advantage over the Honda City.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 01:25   #1856
BHPian

Dear all.

Hopefully, I am getting my Urban Titanium SV-CVT today evening from Magnum Honda, Mekhri Circle, Bangalore. SE has promised to give the car at 06:30pm. So fingers crossed at the moment.

I have finalised following accessories from dealer.
Side protectors
Corner protectors
Illuminated side steps
Reverse Parking Sensors

I am planning to replace stock tyres with Michellin XM2 195/60/15 or 3ST 195/65/15. I personally prefer later (extremely bad roads in my area, need some ride quality with stiffer suspensions) and have told tyre guy to do a thorough check. In case of doubt, will go with widely recommend former option.

A big thank you to all for indirectly helping me in my decision. It was a close fight between City and Duster (25% of daily office commute is off roading) but finally City wins on account of family members.

Will post my experience soon.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 9th May 2014 at 01:26.
Old 9th May 2014, 06:28   #1857

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Side protectors
Corner protectors
Illuminated side steps
Reverse Parking Sensors
Congratulations! I'm sure you will be happy with your decision.

I had a question about parking sensors. Wanted to know if its body coloured or black. I asked the dealer to cancel parking sensors for my car as its black and they dont risk its functionality by painting them to body colour (White). I decided to hold on that.
Old 9th May 2014, 10:32   #1858

Quote:

I had a question about parking sensors. Wanted to know if its body coloured or black. I asked the dealer to cancel parking sensors for my car as its black and they dont risk its functionality by painting them to body colour (White). I decided to hold on that.
Ranjit - I posed a similar question to the dealer since mine is Urban Titanium option. The dealer said that as long as the parking sensors are colored black or white, this doesn't interfere with the sensor functionality. Any other color and and that may impact the sensor performance.

I guess that may be hold true for only a certain quality of sensors, since I've seen other body-colored sensors in more expensive cars.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:01   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Dear all.

Hopefully, I am getting my Urban Titanium SV-CVT today evening from Magnum Honda, Mekhri Circle, Bangalore. SE has promised to give the car at 06:30pm. So fingers crossed at the moment.

Side protectors
Corner protectors
Illuminated side steps
Reverse Parking Sensors

I am planning to replace stock tyres with Michellin XM2 195/60/15 or 3ST 195/65/15. I personally prefer later (extremely bad roads in my area, need some ride quality with stiffer suspensions) and have told tyre guy to do a thorough check. In case of doubt, will go with widely recommend former option.

A big thank you to all for indirectly helping me in my decision. It was a close fight between City and Duster (25% of daily office commute is off roading) but finally City wins on account of family members.

Will post my experience soon.
Congratulations to you! Good choice indeed. The automatic, once you get used to will be hard to give up and you'll acknowledge that it was worth it.

Would be interesting know, what were the top 3 reasons you finally went in for the Honda City over the Duster.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:04   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

neel911 on this forum was in the same situation and later went ahead and had them painted white. You can check the following post on this thread itself: URL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks